Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Words I Couldn't Say ❯ You're what?! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When the doorbell rang, Darien jumped up from his place on the stairs leading upstairs and opened the door. He devoured the sight of her standing on his doorstep. She was so beautiful. She looked at him and her eyes were full of worry and nervousness and his heart expanded. How on earth had he ever survived without her?

" Come in Serena," he said and she smiled tremulously. He led her into his lounge room and watched as she sat on the armchair and not in her usual place on the lounge.

" Thank you for seeing me Darien," Serena said and he nodded.

" Would you like something to drink?"

" No...no thanks Darien. I need to tell you something," she said, fiddling with her handbag strap.

" Serena, what's wrong? You're never usually this nervous," Darien said watching her with a tiny frown.

" I've never been pregnant before," Serena said quietly and Darien stared at her stunned.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~** ~**~**

Pregnant? She was pregnant? Darien stared at her, not wanted to comprehend her words. How on earth could she be pregnant?

" I thought you knew how babies were made Darien," Darien looked at her, startled. Then he realized he had spoken those last words out loud. He raked a hand through his hair and sighed.

" This is a surprise. I thought we were protected," he asked and she smiled nervously, twisting her bag strap around again.

" We were. But it says right there on the box, only 97% effective. I guess we're in that unlucky 3%!" she said quietly and tried to laugh. Darien's gut tightened. Sure, he wanted children, but now? Just when things were looking good for his album? He wasn't even married to her.

" Are you sure?"

" I've been to two different doctors Darien. Both tests were positive. I'm a month pregnant." Darien looked at her. That night by the pool. That must have been the night. God, what was he going to do?

" Serena...I don't know what to say. I honestly don't. I'm surprised. We never even discussed pregnancy and children! And now, you turn up pregnant..." Darien shook his head and stared into the fireplace.

" It is your baby Darien," she said.

" I never said it wasn't."

" You were implying it though. I never cheated on you. Never. Not once. I was completely faithful to you, even after we split up," Serena stood up abruptly and started to walk away from him.

" What do you expect from me Serena?" Darien asked. Damn it, he knew he was being a bastard about this but he was shocked. He wanted her back. He was determined to get her back. But then she tells him she's pregnant? How the hell was any man expected to react to news like that?

" I thought I could talk to you...obviously I was wrong. I know we never talked about children. But you know, its not like we're together anymore! I don't expect you to get down on your knees to propose to me! I just thought it this would be something that you wanted to know about! You are going to be a father Darien. I don't give a damn how you feel about that. This is my baby, my body, my choice. You have no say in this matter at all! I only wanted you to know," Serena said tearfully and ran away from him. She was out the door and in her car before he even had a chance to react. By the time he did, she had driven away down the street.

" Damn it Serena! Please come back!" he called out but it was too late. He could see the receding red lights on her car. He slumped up against the door and held his head in his hands. Again. He'd done it again, damn it all! She'd given him a chance to make up for his last mistake and yet again he had failed. When the hell was he ever going to learn? Darien berated himself angrily. He stood up straight and grabbed his jacket and keys. Sitting around here for the rest of the night, telling himself how stupid he had been was not good for his health.