Saiyuki Reload Gunlock Fan Fiction ❯ Heaven above Heaven above Heaven ❯ Come hell and high water ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Kazuya Minekura's
Warnings: Am not native speaker. Forgive me!
 
Chapter VI: Come Hell and high water
 
Doctor Hwan stared the pile of paper on her hands. Now wasn't that a fine mess? How on Heaven, Hell and Earth she had got herself into the newest crisis. At first lord Kougaiji, lady Lirin and their escorts had vanished seemingly into thin air. Lady Gyoukumen Koushu was furious, of course. She had given a carte blanche to that disgusting human male, Nii Jienyi: find them by any means necessary. The mere thought of Jienyi doing whatever he wanted was creepy and Hwan half believed he was behind the disappearance anyway, if only by provoking them. The man had an obvious psychosis. Then Jienyi had disappeared into his private lab dragging that stupid stuffed animal.
“Yes, I loathe him, why?” Hwan muttered to herself. Though she had to admit that a big part of that hatred was because of Gyoukumen Koushu… No, not there, she scolded herself. She had enough to bite as things were.
When Jienyi was preoccupied and somewhere else, Hwan had taken the opportunity to clean a bit. Scientists were supposed to be neat and systematic and Hwan certainly was. The mess on Jienyi's table had irritated her. She was irritated often these days she seriously feared she would get stomach ulcer. And Jienyi's data was pissing the living daylight out of her. Nothing was sacred to that man, that much was sure but still. She had known all along that Gyoukumen would never allow Rasetsunyo wake, but it still stung to find the evidence. A soul sealed away for five hundred years would gather a huge amount of energy inside it. Like a huge battery. A revival process that needed a huge energy peak to properly remobilize the body. No mother for lord Kougaiji, no little sister, no nothing. It of course had lady Koushu's blessing.
“Love is blind and devotion deaf,” Hwan chuckled bitterly. She was worried for herself. Talking to oneself was usually a sign of some kind of mental disorder and Heaven forbid they didn't need another Jienyi.
Lady Koushu might like her more like that, though. Hwan sighed. She didn't understand herself at all. Gyoukumen Koushu was cruel, egoistic, sluttish and her taste, well, look at Jienyi. There was absolutely nothing Hwan liked of her but still the mere sight of her made Hwan dreamy and angsty and her stomach to do funny flip-flopping. What could she do for Kougaiji? Nothing, no matter how much she sympathised him. At times like that Hwan thought it would have been much nicer to even fell in love with some assassin. Yaone for example was a decent alternative. Too bad she didn't have that choice.
 
“I'm soooo hungry!  Are we there yet?” whined Goku wriggling about in his chair.
“It'll be a few more hours, yet.” Hakkai smiled as he made to swerve around some furry animal.
“Uh, Goku?” Mei asked with slight awe. “We left merely half an hour ago. That was a joke, right?” Gojyo shook his head.
“The monkey is too dumb to have sense of humour,” he claimed grinning.
“I do! Who are you calling me dumb you red ero-kappa!” snapped Goku.
“What was that you brainless ape?!” shouted Gojyo.
“Ero. Kappa.  What part you didn't hear?” Goku demanded to know.
“Both of you shut up now!” shouted Sanzo his eyebrow twitching. “Unless you two want to die!” He landed two very well and often practiced blows to their heads with his fan.
“Ouch…” whined Goku rubbing his head.
“Why'd you hit me?” Gojyo complained angrily.
“You deserved it. One more word and you're dead meat, got it?” Sanzo said with deceptive, calm voice. They shut up. Hakkai sweatdropped as he checked the map.  Everyday was just like that.  Goku would whine about food, then he and Gojyo would get into a fight, Sanzo would sulk and the Paper Fan of Doom or maybe even his gun would make an appearance. Mei would appreciate the show.  He shrugged.  All well, just another normal day heading west. Except it wasn't. They didn't have yesterdays like that everyday.
But really, it was like Sanzo had told them that morning.
“We will head to the west. Come assassins, crazed monks and priest, pitiful people that can't take care of their own problems, idiot youkai princes that let themselves getting brainwashed, annoying youkai brats or pathetic war gods in love. Come Hell and high water, we continue!” He had announced and despite Gojyo teasing him about preaching and almost getting shot it was true. That one thing would not change, it was their anchor.
“Sanzo, are all religious people insane or only those we meet?” Mei asked out of blue. She is letting her gift wander, Hakkai thought. He didn't know it but Hakuryuu was thinking the same.
“How should I know?” Sanzo snapped. “What brought this up anyway?”
“Well, I was thinking what you said about crazy monks and priests. We have met Shuuei, Kami-sama and then Hazel. Three out of three is pretty much, don't you think?” she explained.
“Religion is opium to the people,” Gojyo recited. Hakkai ceased an eyebrow amusedly.
“Oh my, do we have a Marxist here. Well, your hair and eyes are the right colour.” Goku looked at him.
“What Marxists are?” he asked.
“Ah, Marxism is a political ideology…” Hakkai began his explanation. Mei cringed.
“Marxists are people who want to make a better world, oppose people they view as rich oppressors and kill lots of people,” she told. Goku nodded.
“Sounds like us, all right,” he said. Hakkai, Gojyo and Mei laughed even though it wasn't really funny.
“Have you noticed that the closer we get to India the more mountains we cross?” Gojyo asked without any reason. He just felt the need to talk and arguing with the monkey wore thin sometimes.
“We are closer to Himalaya now,” Hakkai told him. Sanzo grunted and lit a cigar.
“Ch! Great. Even more hindrances.” Of course, Gojyo thought. The mighty and great Sanzo priest would find a way to sulk even in Nirvana.
“Our schedule isn't that tight,” Hakkai reassured him. “The resurrection depends on your Sutras. It will wait few days for us.”
“'Kai, whatca gonna do when we get back home?” Gojyo asked. They hadn't talk about it at the beginning of the journey because they hadn't been so sure they would all make it or make it at all. Of course they still weren't immortal and they knew it but it was hard to not think that everything would probably be fine when they had made it that far.
“Take some tutoring job, I think,” Hakkai said. “And I would keep living with you if you only don't mind. I'm sure you would start to use beer cans as ashtrays as soon as I would turn to leave.” Gojyo smirked.
“Hey, someone have to keep you occupied. Admit it, you love nagging to me!” Hakkai looked at him, his insufferable, affectionate smirk. It made him feel warm.
“Close enough,” he chuckled. Sanzo snorted. Hakkai turned his head a bit.
“What is it?” he asked.
“You two are idiots,” was Sanzo's judgement.
The landscape had chanced drastically from the forest they had driven through the day before yesterday. They were travelling higher and higher and if the pile of rock below them wasn't high enough to be a mountain it was very good imitating one.
“Oh my, I hope this isn't getting any harder,” Hakkai said. “Though Hakuryuu might like it,” he added then. Gojyo blinked.
“How come? It's harder for the parrot then,” he asked. Hakkai beamed.
“If the road is bad enough we have to walk and he can ride on my shoulder,” he explained. Hakuryuu chirped and attempted to stretch. Since he was in jeep-form it was very odd view, the steel bending like muscles. Sanzo's crown dropped from his head and hit Gojyo's forehead.
“Aw! That hurt! Stupid dragon and stupid monk with his pretty tiara…” Gojyo complained and rubbed his head when Sanzo grabbed his crown back.
“If it's scratched you are dead,” he muttered. Hakuryuu smiled inwardly. He had never liked the name parrot anyway. Some people just didn't learn to show proper respect to their superior officers.
Mei snickered and looked away. Her mood wasn't very high but she wasn't about to ask. She really wasn't. Oh well, she probably would eventually, but better wait till Sanzo wasn't so surly. Better not top risk a gunshot. She wasn't that good dodging.
“When do you think Homura shows up again?” Gojyo asked. Mei blinked. Good, now she would just protect Gojyo. Or let Hakkai do it. Sometimes she wondered if those two had any idea how close they seemed to be.
“How should I know?” Sanzo snapped. Gojyo made a face.
“I didn't ask from you anyway. I asked from Hakkai.”
“I hope that not very soon, but the realistic estimate is today.” He was silent for a second. “Kougaiji should make his entrée tomorrow.” Sanzo muttered something and Goku bit his lip.
“That guy is creepy,” he announced and looked at Mei. “Isn't he?” Mei stared into the distance. Her eyes were dilated.
“Mmm. Sorry, did you say something?”
 
“I said this is stupid,” Zenon muttered under his breath and looked at Shien. Shien shook his head.
“He didn't used to be this indecisive. We might as well camp with them,” Zenon continued.
“It is really hard to face enmity when you really care for someone,” Shien scolded him. Zenon sighed too though it wasn't nearly as fatalistic as Shien's.
“I know. But what can we do? That Mei chick isn't about to give in.” He kicked a rock. Shien couldn't help but be surprised once again.
“I'll never get used to your short attention span,” he said but his tone was gentle. Zenon glared him all the same as if expecting mocking. Well, technically it maybe was.
“Think about it. How many days ago we met Dee Mei?” Zenon blinked.
“Lessee… it wasn't day but night. Two nights before last night.” Shien smiled. Zenon blinked again.
“You are sayin' we don't have a reason to be impatient yet?” he asked. Now Shien beamed.
“Exactly,” he said. “And I am sure everything will be fine.” Rinrei had died but love that great couldn't have died with her.
“I sure hope so,” Zenon muttered half persuaded. “But I still think this who mess is stupid.” Then they were silent for a second.
“Where our honoured leader is anyway?” Zenon asked then.
“I don't know,” Shien said and smiled fondly. “Let's not get impatient.” Not that he would have believed it to help any.
“I'm already. Just like in the army. Always haste to wait.” That silenced Shien. Zenon never talked about his time in Heaven. Do you miss it, he wanted to ask but he knew Zenon didn't want to answer that so they just sit there.
“I hate them,” Zenon said suddenly. Shien turned his face towards him.
“I really hate but this world is so beautiful. Pity…” And there wasn't much to say after that.
 
“And so everyone is distressed somehow. Isn't it entertaining?” Kanzeon Bosatsu asked from Nataku. He didn't even stir but nor did Kanzeon expect it. Se shook hir head.
“Was it really that big deal to disobey your father just once? That you had to try to kill yourself? Five hundred years is a long time to lose. Are you sure escaping that one situation was worth regret like this? Goujun has regrets too but he is doing something to fix the situation. And I'll tell you, it scratched his pride to become a pet. But still he wouldn't have it too easily. You really bear a striking resemblance to each other.” Sometimes Kanzeon thought that when se talked to Nataku it was only to make this whole talking to self -thing look less mentally disabled. You could expect to hear someone cheap world-conquering villain like Li Touten talking to himself but se had better sense of propriety. At least sometimes.
Kanzeon patted Nataku's head affectionally. He was a helpful person like that.
“Hush, you will wake soon and then the real fun will begin. Poor Jiroshi,” se continued then and snickered evilly. “He is so uptight. When I'll tell him that the plan includes Konzen and others regaining their old essential… oh my, like Hakkai would say. And then there is Qi.” Se would never had admitted it even to hirself but hir tremendous plan was making even hir nervous. Stakes were high and se had once lost when the game had been much less complicated. But the beauty of hir plan was that it was like a rolling stone. Once it was set to motion it couldn't be stopped. And those people did what they were expected because it was what they wanted from the bottom of their hearts. The great bodhisattva looked at the hundred domino pieces se had set down to the floor.
“Look, Nataku. This is a demonstration.” Se pushed one piece with hir toes. They started falling.
 
As they drove higher, Hakkai's eyes grew wide in shock and his foot slammed on the breaks that made Hakuryuu come to a squealing halt. They were liable to get into fights with being that shouldn't even have existed, at least anymore, but that group was still positively unnerving.
“It would seem that some new enemies have arrived” Hakkai informed his travelling companions. Mei looked and gasped when she saw hundreds of strange dark forms awaiting their presence. They seemed to be a bit like some thick liquid, a bit like shadows and she found out she didn't like the way their arms kept changing shape at all. She laughed nervously,
“What the heck those are? she asked. Hakkai sighed a little. Obviously those things had been waiting for them to arrive, patiently, he could bet for it. And as their journey continued westward their enemies grew stronger and far more formidable than when they first started. So it was a logical conclusion that those almost-shadows were notably dangerous.
“Sanzo, he said and looked at the blonde man beside him. “We have a bit of a problem here. “How else would it be,” Sanzo muttered annoyedly. “We kill them. Get ready.” He stood up and stepped out of jeep. They all followed his lead and Hakuryuu transformed back into a dragon.
“Looks like we have no choice, guys,” Gojyo grinned and took a cocky step forward. Goku followed suite whilst materializing nyoibo in his hand.
“How many does this make a piece?” Gojyo asked with a broadening smile. He ruffled Goku's hair.
“Think you count off that many, little ape?” he teased.
“Knock it off pervy kappa! Like you could count it! You can't even count your own fingers,” Goku countered with a laugh.
“Ho? So monkey wants to fight?” He questioned with a glare. Hakkai sweatdropped.
“You might want to fight those and not each other,” he proposed. Goku returned a beaming smile. “Want to make a bet?”
“Juveniles,” Sanzo growled while whacking both with the fan and stepping forward.
“Can't those idiots take anything seriously? he asked and gritted his teeth. Mei smiled wryly.
“After all this time? Old habits die hard and so on.” Then without any warning the dark shapes begin to roll the hillside down like an avalanche. Making sure Hakuryuu was away and safe, Hakkai took a step forward and channelled chi into his hand,
“They just don't know when to quit, do they?” He commented with a chuckle before hurling a wave of chi at the enemy, disintegrating a decent sized group. “Who do you think is behind this? Kougaiji seems to be rather eagerly to talk,” he said. And the he couldn't get enough breathe to say anything for a while.
“Can't keep his subordinates in a line,” Sanzo scoffed before emptying his gun into two shapes. Hakkai shielded him while he reloaded. Gojyo flung his blade into the swarm, cutting down shapes like butter. Shadowy enemies didn't scream in pain as parts that were once their form disappeared into nothing. What was left of them just continued attacking.
“Bring it on, pansies! He provoked mockingly with a smirk when the blade retracted. He swung it again to take down and finally completely disintegrate one very persistent shadow.
“But just my luck, not a one of you is a female. For all I can tell, he grumbled. A playful glow lurked in Goku's eyes when he brought his nyoibo around and bowled down another enemy.
“Is anyone else getting hungry?” he whined.
“Is that all you ever think about, you bottomless pit of a monkey?” Sanzo scowled and fired bullets into something he thought was shadow-creatures' heads. He couldn't be quite sure. Mei panted already; the tempo of the fight was really excessive. She felt her foot slip and could hardly keep her balance. She came really close to get decapitated. Mostly she had run from the creatures and aided whoever seemed to need it most. She looked at her feet. There was sticky black liquid and pure white piece of metal that wasn't stained at all. There was a sign “Justice” in it. She swore.
“These have mediums. They are shikigamis!” she screamed.
“Typical,” was all Sanzo could say. The shikigamis seemed endless now, and each member of the group was getting winded.
 
Li Touten was eyeing the scene with fierce satisfaction. In a way Tenpou was even more dangerous now, with licence to kill. Still there was no way they could escape from his clutches.
 
Little domino pieces were falling.
 
Hakkai ceased to fire for a moment and quickly analyzed the situation. Shikigamis were shikigamis, they didn't need rest and anyone could easily see that these refused to give up and came one after another. They were sorely outnumbered against an enemy that couldn't even feel pain. In a way, the healer felt uneasy like this attack shouldn't have been even possible. After all, no youkai and certainly no human could control that many shikigamis at the same time. Not like he hadn't anticipated some flashy attack, but this was quite the conundrum. Though it was more obnoxious and sticky, he reminded himself wryly. Black slime covered them all. And they were all bleeding already. If they kept this up he knew it to be a futile match. Panting he retracted his chi and concentrated. Green eyes narrowed and he observed their surroundings. He was already getting dizzy from overusing his chi and even through hazed vision knew that if he fell now, the shikigamis would gain the upper hand. He was the only one able to kill more than three enemies at once and the only one who could be sure the whole shikigami was disintegrated with a single blow.
A chilled breeze swept across the field. Sanzo almost smiled as it eased the heat a bit. He scanned the remains of the shikigamis and there were still hundreds left standing. He took this time to reload his gun. Even he no matter how stubborn could sense how futile this battle actually was. They would all be left for dogs afterwards. Which wouldn't be quite as bad as it was if that idiot Homura wasn't bound to appear sooner or later and most likely it was sooner. He clutched a wound that burned his hand. Then he started shooting again. His eyes narrowed as he stared angrily at the shikigamis. These bastards were grating his nerves. They took advantage of their small numbers and Mei was already out for the count, barely standing. Hakuryuu chirped above Sanzo's head and attacked one shadow. Somehow Sanzo could feel the frustration radiating from him. No big wonder.
“Gyaaah!” Sanzo heard someone shouting and now he truly smiled. He watched as Goku jumped boldly over his head and took those who got too close out with ease.
“I think you are forgettin' somebody's here!” Goku mocked with a smug grin. He chuckled as he charged the shikigamis and struck them down.
“Stop sounding so happy!” Sanzo shouted but he was still smiling.
 
Maybe Kanzeon just imagined it but Nataku seemed to be stirring. Domino pieces were still falling.
 
The light was at first so small no one saw it. Only when the nice cool breeze suddenly got hot Hakkai noticed that something was amiss. Mei closed her eyes, she felt the common presence and somehow it should have felt unbelievable. Oh, of course, Laoghaire was dead. But who was approaching her then? She could see bright, white light through her eyelids and she opened her eyes just in time to see when remaining shadow shikigamis suddenly combusted.
“What the…” Gojyo dropped the cigar he hadn't had time to light before the battle had started. There was a growing ball of light above the smouldering field.
“- -“Sanzo's expression screamed typical as he loaded his gun.
“Isn't this interesting?” Hakkai asked warily.
“What it is? Is it an enemy?” And, eventually:
“Lao.” Hardly more than a whisper.
“And is that supposed to be a friend or an enemy?” Gojyo asked and lit a new cigarette.
“We will see,” Hakkai answered. Mei shook her head.
“A friend,” she said weakly. It was all she could do not to fall. The light flew closer and suddenly there was a woman inside it. Longhaired youkai woman whose face was hidden by the blinding light. Hakkai twitched when Mei shrieked.
“Laoghaire!” And they all stood dumbfounded when Mei started to run towards the woman-shape. Sanzo's eyes were glued to the odd youkai ghost and the cliff dangerously near behind it.
“Stop! Don't go there!” he shouted and aimed his gun. He might as well have told water not to flow down. And Mei was now between him and that woman and what good would gun even do against a spirit? He touched the Maten Sutra.
“Lao!” Mei screamed and stumbled the last few meters. Laoghaire reached out smiling. Mei could tell she was smiling even though she could hardly see her face. And she could tell she was Laoghaire. But still something was wrong. She tried to embrace Lao but her arms went trough her.
“It is you, right? But how?” she stuttered. And something was wrong. Or maybe wrong wasn't the right word. Different. Lao had always been a powerful person but now her chi was on fire and she had the air of someone very old. Also a ghost should have no chi.
(I'm coming back. Slowly but I'll make it,) she promised. (I missed you too.) And then her chi flashed with emotion so bright it hurt and Mei winced. And she realised Lao was looking behind her back. Sanzo and others were slowly getting closer, their faces expressing about anything from joy to sorrow to doubt. But Laoghaire only looked at Sanzo.
(Konzen!) And then she hasted towards him. Sanzo had just enough time to pronounce two first syllables of Maten Sutra before the shining woman grabbed his chin, lifted his face up and kissed him full to the mouth. The shock froze Sanzo at first. Then he went along with it from sheer surprise.
(Wait for me a bit longer,) she asked and then the halo that surrounded her disappeared and she first turned transparent and then disappeared. Sanzo opened and closed his mouth. Hakkai and Gojyo were staring him trying to persuade themselves they had really seen what they had seen.
“She kissed you!” Goku exclaimed with great enthusiasm and his face fell the tiniest bit. “You didn't hit her,” he said with a bit of jealousy. Sanzo glared at him.
“I couldn't hit her because she didn't have a body!” he shouted. Mei sobbed and then she began to laugh.
“Love at… first sight,” she panted. “Lao likes you! Well, you are hot…” She couldn't stop laughing before Hakkai sacrificed some of his chi reserves, manipulated few fulcrum points and sent her into pleasant sleep-like haze.
 
The domino pieces had stopped falling. “Do you want one more demonstration?” Kanzeon Bosatsu asked from Nataku and smiled somewhere between satisfied and evil. Pity Jiroshi wasn't there to scold hir. It didn't feel quite right without him.
“I bet your father is swearing somewhere,” se said.
 
He was. He was also afraid.
 
And they continued their journey towards the sunset. It wouldn't set anytime soon but the direction was right. They had time and nothing to do except talking.
 
“I didn't hear her say anything. No fair!”
“Well, Goku, Sanzo and Mei are our spiritualistically gifted. It's only natural.”
“…is that real word?”
“I made it up!”
“Goes figure. Do you have something to say? If not, shut up.”
“I fear that I do. You said that he called you Konzen too. Homura calls you that…”
“Laoghaire has nothing to do with Homura!”
“I hope that you realise, that people generally don't come back from death. But Homura is a god. He could probably be behind this.”
“- -“
“Mei?”
“He better be nice to her.”
“Maybe he is bribing you!”
“- -“
“Shut up, idiot ape!”
 
“Hey, Sanzo, you'v got that living people are annoying so die -thing, right? Well, that Laoghaire chick is dead so she doesn't annoy you, right?”
“… kappa must die!”
“Please, Sanzo. Blood stains are so hard to get out of leather seats.”
“That comment just raised my freak out -level into ninety percent.”
 
“You know what scares me?”
“What?”
It isn't even noonday yet.”