Samurai X Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Sonata ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 1
 
The darkness of the night captivated me,
for it reflected the very core of my soul.
It haunts me,
yet I yearn for it…
 
He was enthralled as she started playing the Moonlight Sonata on the piano. She caught his attention as she performed gracefully, as well as the attention of the audience in that opera house. The melody enchanted his inner thoughts. `Fascinating…' that's what he thought as he watched the beautiful lady while she played the piano. Her emotions flowed through her fingers as she hit the keys of the piano. She felt very alive… very vulnerable. The song she played was very sorrowful, it reflected his feelings. He felt that they were somehow connected. He enjoyed every minute of her performance; she felt the audience's captivating glance towards her. She knew they felt the sadness of her piece. As she ended her performance, the audience gave her a wild applause. She bowed, and then the curtains closed.
 
***
 
Sano woke up from his deep slumber. `I dreamt of her again.' He thought. Ever since the night he saw that woman on stage, he never forgot how she captured his soul by playing that sorrowful song. It has been a year since that night. He snapped out of his thoughts when his cell phone rang.
 
“Hello.” he said, his voice disgruntled.
“Sano, its me.” the lady on the other end of the line said.
“Oh, Megumi. Why did you call? What do you want?”
“Did I wake you up?” she asked, although her tone didn't appear to be concerned.
“No. I was already awake when you called. What do you want?”
“I just want to remind you that we're going to attend your brother's piano recital this afternoon.” she said matter-of-factly.
“Soujiro's recital is today? Damn, I forgot to look at my schedule. Well, I'll pick you up at around 12 noon.” he said.
“Okay.” Megumi said. Then she turned off the phone.
 
Sanosuke Sagara came from a very rich family. His father, Souzo Sagara, was a very successful business man and he owns one of Japan's biggest companies, the Sagara Corporation. His mother, Keiko Sagara, was a famous singer. His only brother, Soujiro, was three years younger than him. Sano graduated from Harvard University and came back to Japan to work for his father. As promised, his father made him his Co-CEO when he turned 20. At the age of 21, he was engaged to his girlfriend of 5 years, Megumi Takani. Everything seemed to be perfect for him. He has a very nice job, he remained close with his family, and he now lives in his own house. Yet, somehow, he felt that something was missing.
 
 
He started his day with his regular routine. He ran at his treadmill and lifted some weights. Then he took a bath and ate breakfast. He checked his schedule if he had a meeting for that day. He had none. So he decided to go jogging with his German Shepherd named Jack. After an hour of jogging, he came back to his house and prepared for his brother's recital. After that, he got into his car and drove off to his fiancé's house.
 
When he arrived there, he waited at the front porch of Megumi's house. She went out, locked her door and then rode his car.
 
Sanosuke and Megumi dated way back when they were still studying. He loved her, and she loved him. But as the years passed, the flames of their love seemed to cool down. They were just like any other couple, yes. But they were not that affectionate to each other anymore.
 
They met with Sano's parents at the theater and went to the upper box seats of the theater. Three students performed before it was Soujiro's turn. When it was his turn, he looked for his family and smiled at them. And then, he sat at the grand piano and started playing his own choice of piece, the Moonlight Sonata. Sanosuke was a bit shocked when his brother started playing the notes of the song. He remembered the lady who played that same piece one year ago and how she captured his attention. Nobody noticed Sano's reaction when Soujiro played the piano. His parents were very proud of him, especially their mother who is very fond of music. She thought of Soujiro as her angel of music. She almost cried during her son's performance. As Soujiro ended the song, the audience clapped their hands loudly, showing their appreciation of his piece.
 
“Did you like it?” Soujiro asked his family when he met up with his family at the backstage of the theater.
“Darling, you were absolutely great!” his mother said as she embraced her son.
“I knew you were good at playing the piano, but son, I did not know that you were great!” Souzo said, patting his son's head.
Soujiro smiled as he received the compliments of his parents, but he noticed his older brother's weary eyes.
“What about you, Sano, did you like it?” Soujiro asked.
Sano immediately snapped out of his deep thoughts when he heard his brother's question. “Of course I liked it. You were great.” He smiled and said. “I'm very proud of you, Soujiro.” He added.
“I'm glad you do.” Soujiro replied with a smile, though he knew something was bothering his brother.
 
The Sagara family together with Megumi Takani ate dinner at one of the city's famous restaurants to celebrate Soujiro's success. After that, they went home. Megumi told Sano that she wants to stay at his house for the night. When they arrived at Sano's house, Sano took a bath then sat at his patio and read a book.
 
“What's bothering you?” Megumi asked. Sano did not notice that she had been watching him for almost a minute.
“Uh, nothing. Why?” he replied.
“You seem to be preoccupied the whole day.”
“Do I?” he asked. Then he realized that yes, he was. He had been thinking about that woman's version of the song all day. He fell silent again.
“I'm sorry for bothering you.” Megumi finally said. “I'm going to sleep now, goodnight.”
“Goodnight.” he said.
 
He finally decided to go to sleep two hours later but he had a difficult time trying to fall asleep because of the woman's sad piece. `Her song…it was very sad, sorrowful.' he thought as the song kept playing on his mind.