Samurai X Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Sonata ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 2
 
“Teacher! Teacher!” a kid cried out. “My tummy aches.”
“Oh, Akira, your tummy hurts again? What did you eat this time?” the woman said.
“I think I ate too much chocolate biscuits.” the little boy said.
The woman smiled and patted the boy's head.
“Wait here. I'm going to get some ointments, okay?” she said.
“Okay, Ms. Sayo.” The kid replied.
 
She went to the back of the room and opened a cabinet. She took out an ointment and went back to the little boy. She rubbed some to the boy's tummy and assured him that he will feel better within no time.
 
She doesn't have any problems when it comes to handling kids. She was very outgoing and vibrant. She was loved by all her students. They seemed like a little family whenever she is with her little students.
 
After her class hours, she goes home to her house near a lake and spends her time writing music, playing the piano, or cooking. She lived there with her older brother who is a successful business man. Even though she is from a wealthy family, she prefers to live a low-key and simple life. Everything seemed to be so perfect for her.
 
It was already getting dark. She sat by the piano and started playing it. Sayo enjoys playing the piano because she expresses her feelings clearly and freely when she plays the piano. She did not notice her brother arrive.
 
“Sayo…you never fail to amuse me.” he said.
Sayo looked back and saw her brother.
“Shougo!” she ran to her brother like a little girl and hugged him.
Shougo smiled and kissed her on her forehead.
“I thought you'll come home late. Wait, I'm going to prepare dinner.” she said.
“No, don't. Please continue playing the piano. I enjoy your music.”
 
Sayo continued playing the piano. Her brother loved his sister very much. Their parents died in a car crash when they were young. Since then, Shougo took over their family business and took care of Sayo. He treated her like a priced possession; he protected her with his own life. She was his only family.
 
“Shougo, I was wondering if…if I should accept Shouzo's engagement offer.” Sayo asked while she was playing the piano.
Shougo came closer to his sister. “Do you love him?”
“He's been a great friend to me…to us. But I don't feel anything for him.”
“Well, don't. I don't want you to do something that you will regret later.” he said.
“He has been giving me special treatment since we were kids. I don't have enough courage to deny his offer.”
“Sayo, if you can't, I will do it. I mean, you don't need to force yourself to love someone.” Shougo said, patting his sister's back.
Sayo smiled and stopped playing the piano. “Thank you for being so nice to me, brother.”
“It is my duty to help and be nice to you.” he replied. “Anyway, I'll have to excuse myself now, I have lots of business stuff to do.” he kissed his sister's forehead and went to his room.
 
Sayo started playing the piano again, this time, she played the song Bloody Tears (from the video game Castlevania). Reflecting on her feelings, she played the song with such intensity. Tears streamed down her face. She remembered her parents and how they died. `Oh, how I wish you were still here. Mama, if only you can hear my music now. This is what you dreamt of…this is what you wanted me to be.' she thought.
 
The next day, she woke up early and started cooking breakfast. After that, she took a bath and then headed for her school. When she arrived there, some of her students were already there. They ran to her when they saw her and each gave her a hug. She spent almost half of her day with her students and taught them things such as values and manners. After her class hours, she took her coat and went out of the school. While walking down the street, someone hurriedly ran to her.
 
“Sayo, matte!” the man shouted.
Sayo looked back, it was Shouzo.
“Oh, Shouzo.” she said.
“Come on, let's get something to drink.” he insisted.
 
They went to a coffee shop and ordered two lattes.
 
“So…have you thought about the engagement?” Shouzo asked.
Sayo looked at her latte. “I'm still thinking about it.”
“You have given me that same answer three times. Are you sure you're thinking about it?” Shouzo asked, overly concerned.
“I am, I really am. Shouzo, don't expect too much from me…”
Shouzo looked directly into her eyes. “I get the feeling you won't accept me.”
“Don't get me wrong, Shouzo. It's just that, when I look at you, I see a brotherly figure. You are a great friend, I look up to you, but I think I can't love you more than just a friend.” she told him, with trembling lips, afraid of what answer he is going to say.
“I knew it. I should've never asked you to marry me. I'm sorry for being stupid…” he tried to look unaffected by what she said. He loved Sayo from the beginning; his feelings were crushed when she said she could not love him.