Samurai X Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlight Sonata ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 3
 
Sano woke up with a headache, but he didn't mind it and took a bath. He ate breakfast in a nearby restaurant and went to work.
 
“Sir, you're early today.” his secretary said.
He just looked at her and smiled. “I want my schedule today on my desk in 5mins.”
He entered his office and took out business deals from his briefcase. He stared at them for a moment and then turned his gaze outside his office window. He felt that his life was getting boring and he is yearning for something new in his life, but he doesn't know what that `something' is. His deep thoughts were interrupted when the phone rang.
 
“Sir, I have Miss Takani on line 1.” his secretary said.
“Okay, thanks.”
Sano pressed the button.
“Megumi, what's up?” he asked.
“I was wondering if you could drop by here. My parents are coming and they want to have dinner with you.” she said.
“What time should I be there?”
“They'll arrive here around 6pm. If you could, you can go here earlier.”
“Okay.”
She hung up the phone.
 
Sano listed the dinner on his To-do list, and then he started doing his daily tasks which includes signing documents, reviewing business proposals and studying their company's financial statements. He ate lunch with his father and their business pal, Shougo Muto. They had a business conference later that day and talked about merging their businesses together. Sano was about to leave his office when he saw a black leather journal with Shougo Muto's name in it in a table in their conference room. He asked his assistant to call Shougo's office to check if he is still there, but he was already gone. Sano decided to go to Shougo's house to return it.
 
It was already dark. He drove silently until he arrived at Shougo's house. He knocked at the door, and after a few moments, a woman opened it.
 
“Hi, what can I do for you?” she asked, smiling sweetly at Sanosuke.
He can't help but to stare at her because of her sweet disposition.
“I'm Shougo Muto's business pal. My name is Sanosuke Sagara. Uh, he left this journal in my conference room.” He handed her the journal. “Is he home?” he asked.
Sayo never saw this man before, and her brother didn't mention him either before.
“No, he's not yet here. He didn't tell me where he'd go. Thank you for returning this.”
He felt something weird as he talked to this woman. As he continued to look at her, she seemed to be so familiar to him.
“Well, I better go now. I think there's no more reason for me to stay here.” Sano smiled and waved goodbye to the girl. The girl smiled back and waited for him to enter his car and drive off.
 
Before he started to drive his car, he checked his cell phone. There were 2 missed calls from Megumi. Then he remembered it…he was supposed to have dinner with Megumi's family and he was already an hour late. He drove as fast as he could. When he arrived at Megumi's house, they were already eating.
 
“Oh, it's a great thing you even thought of coming here.” Megumi said obliviously.
“I'm sorry, I had to run some errands. I didn't mean to be late.” he protested.
 
He kissed Megumi's parents and sat beside her and started eating. They talked about recent family affairs, though Sano and Megumi didn't talk to each other much. After their dinner, Megumi's parents said goodbye and left them alone.
 
“So, why were you late?”
“A business associate of mine left his journal in my office so I had to give it back to him.”
“You could have returned that tomorrow, you were supposed to be here after your office hours.” she said, almost dictating.
“I forgot. I'm sorry.” he felt silly.
“You forgot huh?”
“I'm really sorry, it won't happen again.”
“You better be sure that it won't happen again. You had me and my parents waiting for almost an hour.”
Sano snickered. “Well, you always make me wait for hours. You don't even show up sometimes. I guess we're quits then.”
 
After what he said, Sano just walked out of Megumi's house and didn't even wait for what she was going to say. He was already sick and tired of their fights. Their arguments started when Sano started to work, Megumi always complained that he was losing time for her. But when Sano asks her out, she's always hard to get. Somehow, Sano thought she was not the Megumi he knew before. She changed, both of them changed. He drove back to his house without saying goodbye to her.
 
While lying on his bed, Sano constantly thought of the things that happened between them and Megumi. They were the sweetest couple years ago, but now, their sweetness towards each other faded away. He sat up and looked at the foot of his bed and saw his dog Jack sleeping. “I guess you're the one meant for me, Jack.” he told himself quietly and laughed softly. The smile of the woman he met at Shougo's house entered his mind. He remembered how sweet her smile was, and how soft her voice is. `Why is she so familiar? I feel like I saw her before, but I don't know where.' he thought. He lied down again and stared at the ceiling, and then fell asleep.