SD Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Deed's Redemption ❯ Birthday Waltz ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

AN: Ah time for the fated meeting between Rele and human Deed. This chapter will also mention a few other OCs of mine and the song that helped inspire this fic. Now please enjoy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Birthday Waltz
As Deed watched the knight ride off he asked Tanya a question, “You said you were the White Rose Knightess, correct?”
“Yes.”
“How fast can you grow one?”
Apparently with some help from Mana, Tanya could grow quite a few white roses. In just over a month she had grown almost an entire garden full of them just behind the main hall. Also in one month's time Caspian had become much more than it used to be. More houses were beginning to be re-built, those accursed fields were full of useable soil and seeds were being planted, Lacroa had sent over some livestock and horses, and Deed had managed to get rather nervous about meeting Rele.
Deed knew he had to not only make Rele love him, but also convince her that he was himself. But this was the first time he would be meeting her as Prince Don, and as Prince Don he was almost a nervous wreck.
“Are you sure I look okay?” He asked for the millionth time since leaving Caspian early that morning.
“Your Highness you look fine. You're going to empress her.” Answered Tanya.
Deed's hands tightened around the reins of his horse, “But -“
“Prince Don. You're going to be fine.” Said the villager, Michael, who had accompanied them, “I must say though, why are you so worried about making a good impression? It's not like you've met before.”
`You're wrong', thought Deed, “But I've heard stories, wonderful stories. Of how beautiful and amazing she is.”
Michael chuckles, “It seems our prince has a romantic side to him.”
“Don't you dare tell Gwen.” Deed growled.
“I won't, I won't.”
“Look there!” Said Tanya, pointing.
They neared the edge of a cliff, and saw the amazing sight of Lacroa sitting in the middle of the spirit lake.
`It's been too long… Still as beautiful as I remember.'
“I see a trail. Prince Don, are you coming?” Asked Michael, snapping Deed from his thoughts.
“Yes.”
They made their way down and into the town. Lights and lanterns were alit, banners and balloons were hanging and swaying in the slight breeze. Mmn's floated though the air, buildings, and people. The towns people were out and enjoying the celebration, either by dancing, talking, or drinking. In between the people of Lacroa, other princes could be seen making their way toward the castle.
The castle itself was always something to look at, but lit up with light spells and having a Mmn or two fly into them it was truly majestic. Violet rose garlands hung from balconies and turrets, and Lacroa's crest hung from the center most banner.
They entered the expertly lit courtyard and dismounted their horses. One of the stable hands led the horses toward the stables as Deed, Tanya, and Michael entered the castle foyer. Banners and streamers of blues, purples, and some yellow hung from the ceiling, candles were lit every few feet to give a soft glow, and crystal Mmn statues hung suspended Mana allowing the candle light to split into multiple patterns.
They made their way to the entrance of the ballroom, where a maid with a scroll stopped them.
“Name, please?” She asked.
“Prince Donatello.”
“Ah, yes.” The maid made a check mark on the scroll, “We've heard about what you're doing with Caspian. Very Noble. King Lacroa would like to speak with you before you meet Princess Rele.”
Deed nodded, “Very well.”
With a nod from the maid that greeted them, another maid led them into the elegantly decorated ballroom.
The ballroom had more of the same decorations as the foyer but to a larger extreme. The most prominent thing there was the grand chandelier lit up with a light spell that only the king could cast. Guests were mingling and there was a long line of princes waiting to meet, who Deed could vaguely make out from his distance, Rele.
“Why are the princes lined up?” Asked Michael.
“If you will please follow me.” Said the maid.
“You two go enjoy the party. I'll be fine.” Deed said following the maid away from Tanya and Michael.
Tanya nodded, “To answer your question, Michael, when a princess becomes of age she must choose a husband. Unless she is already betrothed, at her birthday party she meets the eligible princes and in the allotted time the king or queen gives her, she must choose one.”
“Ah, I see. So these princes are Prince Don's competition.”
“Exactly.”
Deed followed the maid though the crowd and caught glimpses of the Gundam Force. The maid turned into a small alcove and climbed a small set of stairs to a balcony like platform.
“Your Highness,” She said opening a large curtain, “Prince Donatello has arrived.”
“Thank you.” Said the king.
The maid gave a small bow and gestured for Deed to go though the curtain. Deed took a deep breath and stepped onto the balcony. The king of Lacroa was standing, overlooking the party going on. He turned to see Deed step past the curtain.
“Prince Donatello.”
“Your Majesty.” Deed said, bowing.
“I've heard from one my knights that you have been helping Caspian and doing an amazing job?”
“Yes, Sir. I've been lending my help and little expertise to them. Caspian has much potential.”
The king nodded, “I'm glad to hear that it hasn't died out yet. I remember old stories of how great it use to be.”
“And I will make it great again.”
“I have no doubt,” The king turned to face Deed, “Now, you are here to meet my daughter so I will keep you no longer. Go on.”
“Yes, Sir.” Deed bowed again and exited though the curtains. He walked down the stairs before exhaling a sigh of relief.
`Ok, now all I have to do is impress Rele.' He thought, before going in search of Tanya.
He found her walking by one of the columns decorated with purple and blue steamers. Deed cast a glance at the line of princes that was slightly shorter than before.
“Tanya.”
“Hmm? Ah, yes.”
Tanya reached into the small box she had on her waist and pulled out a white rose, “Safe and sound.”
“Thank you.” Deed said, taking the rose.
“May I ask why you chose a white rose as Princess Rele's gift?”
“It was a long time ago…”
*********
A young Princess Rele and Deed walked though the violet rose garden in the castle. Rele was staring down at her feet as she walked by the bushes. Deed was walking a few steps behind her.
“Princess, are you okay?”
“No!” She snapped turning to face Deed, “I hate violet roses'!”
“But why? I thought they were your favorite?”
“But they're all I ever see! Besides the red and pink ones Zero summons.
Deed wasn't sure what to say. What do you say to a six-year-old princess who just proclaimed she doesn't like Princess Roses?
“I wanna see I different color!”
“Like what?”
“A white one. I wanna see a white rose someday.”
Deed smiled behind his faceplate, “I promise I'll find you a white rose, Princess.”
“Really?”
“On my honor as a knight.”
Rele made a high pitched sound and hugged the Shining Blade knight, “Thank you, Deed.”
“Anything for my princess.”
*********
“I intend to keep that promise.”
“Well then, you best go meet your princess.”
Deed nodded and walked toward the line of princes. From where he was, he still couldn't get a good look at Rele and he saw a fairly large pile of presents slight behind the throne. Deed took a deep breath and let it out slowly.
`I can do this,' He said to himself, `I'll soon meet my love.'
*******
Zero stood off to the side of the ballroom, keeping an eye out for anyone who might think to try something. He knew it was unlikely, but one could never be too careful. He kept glancing at the line of potential husbands for Rele, an urge to go over there and tell them to leave her alone bubbling in his Gunsoul.
“You know she has to choose one,” Came Shining's voice, as if she read his mind.
“I am aware of the customs and know she has too. I just can't help wanting to protect her.”
“Protect her from what?”
“A broken heart?” Zero offered weakly.
Shining giggled and took Zero's hand in hers, “She knows what she's looking for, her heart won't get broken. And you should know better than anyone, that True Love has a way of finding people. Just look at us.”
Zero sighed, “I know.”
“Frenn?”
“Fenn, you better keep Zero company. He's had too much free time to think.” Shining told the young Feather Dragon, before making her way into the party crowd and towards Rele to resume her guard post.
“She's right, you know, Fenn.”
“Frenn?”
********
Deed was finally able to get a good look at Rele as he got closer to where she was standing. She had her golden/brown hair half down, the half that was up was braided and twirled into a bun with violet rose buds weaved into it, and she was wearing a beautiful dress. It was a deep shade of violet, with a thin second skirt over the first in a light violet that shimmered whenever she moved. Around her waist was a thin dark forest green cord with a small velvet violet rose in the center, the bodice had a few swirling designs in the same green and they almost looked like vines, a small gentle v-neck with another velvet rose, and the sleeves looked just like rose petals. Along with her tiara and jewels, she was breathtaking and the most magnificent person in the room.
The prince in front of him walked up to Rele and suddenly he was next. Deed gulped and tried to slow his erratically beating heart.
“Your name please, sir?” Asked the Grand Usher.
“Prince Donatello of Caspian.”
The Grand Usher nodded and waited to call the name out. A few minutes later the other prince left and Deed felt himself walk up to Rele as the Usher called his name. Any thoughts he had come up with to say flew from his mind as he walked closer. He tried not to crush the stem of the rose. When he reached Rele, Deed made a sweeping bow and knelt before Rele.
“Princess Relehimana, It is a pleasure to meet you. I've heard wondrous stories of you. ”
“The pleasure is mine, Prince Donatello. And thank you for coming. Now please stand, you have no need to kneel.”
“Ah, yes. And please call me Don.”
Rele giggled softly, “Well then call me Rele.”
“Rele.” He repeated softly, “I've heard you have a garden of violet rose.”
“You've heard right.”
“Well, I hope you will accept this.” Deed help up and offered the white rose.
Rele's blue/purple eyes widen just slightly as she saw the rose, “Pri-Don…it's beautiful. I will gladly accept it.”
Rele took and held the rose gently, taking a dainty sniff from it, “It's beautiful.”
A maid tapped her on the shoulder and held up a small vase. Rele smiled gently and placed the rose into it, and whispered to maid to make sure it stayed safe. Rele turned back to Deed.
“Thank you.”
“Anything,” Deed then held out his hand and Rele placed her delicate one into it, “Now all I hope for is a dance.” Deed then placed a small, light kiss on her hand.
Rele felt herself blush lightly, “I'll see to it that you do.”
Deed bowed once more before turning and walking into the other guests. Of all the dreams he had, old and new, nothing compared to holding her hand, nor seeing that light blush on her cheeks. He might just have a chance.
*****
Rele walked towards the refreshment tables, finally able to mingle with her guests instead of standing on a low platform meeting all the eligible boys. The last prince she met with, a Prince Steno, just gave her an odd feeling that she did not care for. Almost to the tables she heard a cry from a friend.
“Rele!” Came voice she knew well.
“Shute you came!” She said to the 15 year-old boy, who she had helped saved the dimensions with.
“Of course we came.”
“Yes, Princess, we wouldn't miss this.”
“Thank you, Captain.” Rele told the gundam.
“Shute, remember.”Captain said prompting the boy.
“Oh, yeah!” Shute reached into the pocket of the dress pants and pulled out a wide/short, flat box, “This is from all of us at the SDG base.”
Rele took the box and examined it, “May I open it now?”
“It's your party, Princess.” Said Captain.
Rele giggled, “Alright.” She opened the box to find an SDG badge, that had been crafted into a necklace instead of the standard pin.
“We thought that if it was a necklace it would go better with your dresses.” Explained Shute.
“It's wonderful, thank you, to you both.”
“Hey, it's from me too.” Came GunEagle's voice from her left.
Rele turned to face him, “Thank you too, GunEagle.”
“Genkimaru! Get off my head!” Came Baku's outburst.
“Hello, Bakunetsumaru, Genkimaru.”
“Greetings, Princess.”
“Here, Rele. This is for you!”
“What?! Genkimaru! I was suppose to give that to her!”
“I thank you both.” Rele said, taking the dark red pouch Genki held out.
She reached inside and pulled out a wooden medallion, painted black with an Arkian symbol carved into it.
“It's to bring good luck.” Explained Baku, “Also Liz and Suki say sorry for not being able to make it. Liz felt kind of sick and Suki stayed behind to help out.”
“That's all right, I wouldn't want Liz to be sick while she was to be having fun. Please tell them I missed them here and hope she feels better. Now have any of you seen Kay?”
“I think I saw her over by the drinks.” Answered GunEagle.
“Thank you.”
Rele made her way over to the drink table, and along the way asked one of the maids to take her gifts to her room. There she found Kay standing by the punch, sipping from a cup. Kay was wearing a long, dark red dress with a square neck. It had a panel of darker red down the center of the dress, around her waist was a gold colored cord, and her sleeves looked closer to kimono sleeves. Around her neck was her usual black and ivory bead necklace, and her long brown hair was down as usual.
“Hello, Kay.”
Kay looked up from her glass, “Hey, Rele. Got your eyes on anyone yet?”
“No one really. Thank you again for my dress.”
“No prob. Shouldn't you be dancing with a prince or two?”
“Well I had a question for you.”
“What?” Kay deadpanned.
Rele shyly held up one finger, “Sing one song?”
Kay sighed, “Rele…”
“Please? It doesn't have to be right now. Just one little song?”
“Alright.” Kay sighed again.
“Thank you!” Rele said, hugging Kay.
“Yeah, yeah. Now go find a husband. Just give me a cue when you want me to sing.”
Rele nodded before grabbing a glass and walking off to go see her other guests.
**********
Deed walked around the ballroom, looking for a chance to talk to Rele again. So far the other princes' were getting in his way. Deed took in a deep breath, trying to calm his anger. He would not lose his temper, he hadn't in almost two months and he wouldn't now.
Walking around the edge of the dance floor, Deed saw Rele talking to a girl in a red dress, who nodded and went toward the stage. This was his chance. Deed made it over to Rele before someone else could. He tapped her shoulder.
“Princess Rele.”
“Oh! Don! I was just looking for a dance partner.”
Deed held out his hand, “Then who would refuse the birthday girl?”
Rele looked momentarily shocked, but then took Deed's hand. Deed led Rele to the center of the floor as piano music started to play. He made a bow as she curtsied and they took a basic waltz form.
“You're in my arms and all the world is calm…”
They started with a basic box step.
“The music playing on for only two, So close together…”
“You've been quite the topic lately with what you're doing for Caspian,” Rele started, “It's very kind.”
“Well, I have some past sins I wish to atone for and Caspian presented itself for that,” Deed paused, “Don't get me wrong, I'm not using them just for my own devices. I-“
Rele giggled, “I get it. Still it's a wonderful thing.”
“A life goes by, Romantic dream will stop, So I bid mine goodbye…”
“You know I was very surprised to see that rose. I've wished to see a white one since I was little.”
“Well, I glad I could help your wish come true,” Deed spun Rele around, “Dancing with you has been my wish since I heard of you.” `More like since I fell in love with you.'
“It seems we've both made the others dream come true,” Rele giggled.
Deed smiled.
“So close to reaching that famous happy end, Almost believing this was not pretend…”
Deed spun Rele around again, before pulling her a bit closer and guiding her into a moving box step. He then continued to guide her around the floor, twirling her and spinning her around. They didn't seem to notice that there was a spot light on them, nor everyone was watching them.
“Oh, how could I face the faceless days, if I should lose you now?”
Deed spun Rele out sideways and back into his embrace, before going back into a spinning box step.
“Let's go on dreaming we know we are…So close, So close and still so far.”
Deed spun Rele one last time before bowing to her once more as the piano played its last notes. He kissed her hand gently once more before letting it go.
“Thank you.”
“No, thank you, Rele.”
********
Rele sat by her window sill after her ball had ended. Her guests were all in the rooms they had offered and she was gazing at her white rose. She had been about to ask Don for another dance, but that Prince Steno had come before she could. Rele sighed.
“Get to bed, Rele,” Said Shining, “You've had a big day, and soon you have a big choice.”
“I will. Goodnight, Shining.”
“Goodnight, Princess.”
Rele walked to her bed, placing the rose on her bedside table. “Goodnight.” She whispered.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A.N: Longest chapter yet. Would have been a bit longer but I've decided to do something just a tad different than my original idea. That and I like that ending. Anyway, as I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and stay tuned for chapter 5.
Bandai owns Deed, Rele and the Gundam Force.
I own Kay, Shining, `Caspian', Michael, Tanya, Suki and Liz.
Disney and Jon McLaughlin owns `So Close'.
R&R.