Shaman King Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Last Exile Fan Fiction ❯ To Fly on Silver Wings *Remixed* ❯ It's ALIVE!!!!! O.O ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Fly on Silver Wings *REMIXED*
 
The scene opens onto a small overgrown graveyard encircled by a wrought iron fence. The gate hung by one hinge and squeaked in the breeze. A sign that stood over the gate read, “Fanfic Author Cemetery.” Three faint lights approach the entrance, make their way through, and begin weaving in and amongst the gravestones. After a few minutes, one of the lights hesitates and a cry is heard.
“Hey! I think I've found it!”
The other two lights congregate around the grave and low mutters of excitement are heard. The scene zooms in upon the area and the flickering lights reveal themselves to be three teenage kids. A short, tubby guy turns and speaks to a tall person with glasses.
“Is this the one?”
“Yes, Thomas. This is the one.”
The one called Thomas turns and gestures to a messy haired girl carrying three shovels.
“Alright then! Let's start digging!”
The sounds of shovel blades biting into the dirt fill the still night air. The messy haired girl speaks to the guy in glasses who seems to be the leader of this peculiar excursion.
“What are we digging up, Jeff?”
The man pushes his glasses up on his nose and replies, “Legend tells us that one a great and powerful authoress lived here along with her muse. When she met her untimely death, she was buried here along with the magical machine that she used to write her stories and control everything around her. I was able to trace the legend all the way back to her burial site. That is what we're standing in front of right now.”
The girl bends to examine the headstone more closely and sniffs.
“This “authoress” must have been very vain.”
The stone is covered in intricate engravings with silver inlaid in the inscription. It simply reads, “LK." The stone looks as beautiful as the day it was made, with the silver untarnished and the rock unworn by weather or time.
The sound of metal striking metal rings out through the air and they cease their conversation as the shape of a coffin is uncovered at the bottom of the newly dug pit. Jeff turns to Thomas and indicates that he wants the thing brought up. When the coffin is hauled to the top and set upon the ground, Jeff jumps on top of it and brushes enough dirt off the top to read the inscription.
“Author of To Fly on Silver Wings, unfinished due to lack of participation by most readers.”
He feels along the side for the handle and, yanking hard, tries to open the coffin. He grunts with the effort and Thomas and the girl come over and add their strength. Groaning, the lid parts from the bottom, they throw open the coffin, and stare at the teenage girl with black fox ears and tail lying serenely in the middle of the silk lined chamber.
The messy hair girl gawks at the contents of the opened coffin. “She's got fox ears! And a tail! What is she?!”
Jeff pays no mind to her exclamations. His attention is fixed upon the black, book-like item lying in the girl's arms.
“The magic laptop! So the legend really is true!”
Unconsciously, his hand reaches out to touch the object...
“Don't you dare!”
They look up to see a large white fox sitting on top of the grave's headstone, its ruby red eyes glaring down upon the procession.
“Don't touch the laptop if you know what's good for you.”
Jeff, after glancing up to see where the voice was coming from, ignores him and bends over to reach the laptop.
“I'm warning you. You don't want to do that.”
His hands curl around either side of the object and pull it out of the girl's arms. Nothing happens. The other two come out of the defensive crouches they were in and cluster around Jeff as he opens the laptop and looks at the blank screen and keyboard in confusion.
“Ehhh... Thomas, go and get the yellow book out of my backpack. Kelly, you go and get the suitcase that we found at the abandoned mansion.”
When the two had returned from their appointed tasks, Jeff tells Thomas to open the book to page 158 and read aloud what was written.
“Uhh... Too Turne On The Majikal Lapptop, Make First Shure That It Is Aksessing Power From The Outlett By Meens Of It's Plugg. What the heck does that mean?”
“Kelly, open the briefcase and take the cord that has the small box attached to it and the cord with the three metal bits sticking out at the end and connect them together. Then hand it to me.”
The girl hands him the lengthened cord and Jeff sticks the smaller end of the cord into an opening in the side of the laptop. He then hands the end with the metal prongs to Thomas.
“Go and find a rectangular shape on the back of the tombstone and stick the metal bits inside the holes within the rectangle. Make sure you have the round bit of metal on the bottom.”
The teen follows his instructions and a light flashes on the smaller box. Jeff, seeing the light appear, feels around the back of the laptop and presses a button. The screen lights up and several icons appear on the left side.
“Hmm... What should we look at first?”, Jeff mutters to himself.
“Automated Start-up Program... That sounds interesting! Let's try that.”
He maneuvers the little arrow and clicks on the image. Suddenly the screen goes dark and the machine emits a high pitched tone, followed by a stream of words that none of them recognized.
“Luminakitsunethisisyourwakeupcallyouareseveralmonthslatewi ththeupdateandifyoudontgetupwithinthenextfivesecondsyouronlineaccountswillb edeleted...5...4...3...2...”
“I'M UP!”
The teens whirl at the shout and see the fox girl sitting up and glaring at the laptop.
“Stupid f'ing computer! Can't you see that I'm trying to sleep?”
She blinks and looks around.
“What in the world am I doin' in a cemetery? Did I oversleep again?” The girl smacks herself on the forehead. “Damn! Those stupid servants must have taken me for being dead again! I knew I should have gotten the AI upgrade!”
She looks at the kids clustered around the computer. “Hiya! What year is this? And where can I find a good seafood takeout?”
They squeak in terror and run as fast as their legs can carry them.
“Hey wait!... Damn!”
“What do you expect when they see someone rise from the dead?”
She glances up at the fox and sighs in relief.
“Yoko. What's going on?”
The fox jumps down and lands in the girl's lap.
“Well, you've been asleep for almost 7 months and everyone has left. Try setting your alarm next time, huh?”
“7 months! Oh man! I hope everyone is alright...”
“I took care of the pets while you were absent. Now can we go home? I want a peanut butter finger.”
“Alright, lets go and make some peanut butter fingers.”
 
Next Chapter: The party!