Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ Let Me Know You ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shaman King belongs to Hiroyuki Takei, not me.
-
-
-
“Anna!” Yoh cried. He dove into the water and grabbed her. Anna's head tipped grotesquely to one side; her large dark eyes were open and sightless. Blood stained her pale face. Tenderly Yoh lifted her out of the water and laid her on the riverbank. He stroked her damp blonde hair. “C'mon, Anna,” he whispered. “It's okay, little girl.”
 
Anna didn't answer. Her eyes stayed open, but they didn't see him.
 
“She's been dead for awhile,” Jun said. “Yoh, we've lost her already. It's no use.”
 
Yoh wrenched away from her. “Anna won't leave me,” he said, his voice tight. He grabbed the small girl's rosary and yanked as hard as he could, sending the glass beads flying like crystal tears around them. Anna's chest heaved as blessed unrestricted air flooded her lungs.
 
But then she didn't move again.
 
“Come on, come on, you promised,” he said. He pressed his mouth over hers, forcing gulps of air into her airways. Two rapid breaths, then he pulled away and pressed his fists against the hollow of her ribcage. Then two more breaths, and the cycle repeated.
 
Finally, with a sharp intake, Anna sucked in breath on her own. “That's a good girl, that's a good girl,” Yoh praised. He tilted her head to the side and stroked her hair away from the gash on her head. Blood was still flowing freely. “Come on, wake up, wake up.”
 
Suddenly her long lashes fluttered. She jerked in his arms and coughed up red-tinged water. Yoh cradled her gently. “Anna,” he whispered. “You came back. You came back to me!” From far away he could hear the sad wail of a siren, but all he could see was his Anna, his living and breathing Anna.
 
-----
 
He jolted awake. “Where am I?” he asked.
 
“The waiting room,” Ren said quietly. “You fell asleep.”
 
Yoh rubbed his forehead, remembering. Suddenly he leaped upright. “Anna!” he exclaimed. He grabbed Ren by the lapels. “Where is she? Is she all right?”
“Calm down, Yoh,” Ren said. “Anna's in ICU. She's in a coma.”
 
“A coma?” Yoh repeated.
 
“She was dead when you found her,” Ren explained. “The doctors can't explain it, but her heart restarted, apparently. Her will to live is astounding.”
 
“What room is she in?” Yoh demanded. “I can't leave her alone.”
 
“My sister's with her,” Ren tried to say.
 
“I don't care. I need to see her. Where is she?” Yoh asked.
 
Ren sighed. “Room 293,” he said. Yoh was already heading towards the room.
 
He cracked the door open slightly. Jun was sitting next to a bed full of wires and tubes. It took him a moment to realize that somewhere, in the middle of the bed, was Anna.
 
Jun looked up. “She's sleeping,” she whispered. “They're trying to bring her fever down.”
 
“Can we…can we have a moment?” Yoh asked.
 
“Sure,” Jun smiled, getting up and patting his shoulder as she left. Yoh sat down in the vacated chair, pulling it close to the bed. He picked up her small limp hand and stroked it.
 
“Hi,” he whispered.
 
Anna's pale face was obscured by the oxygen mask covering her nose and mouth. Her long hair draped over the pillow, still matted with blood. Along her hairline was a thin black line of stitches. Yoh squeezed her fingers.
 
“Can you hear me, Anna?” he asked. “I don't know if you can hear me, but,” He took a deep breath. “I'm sorry for what I said. I was wrong.” He dashed at his eyes. “I know that I was wrong to say what I did, because. . .I love you, Anna.” It was hard to say it, even when she was asleep. “I really do. It just took me a while to figure it out…even though you've known forever.”
 
Yoh leaned over and brushed his lips against her forehead. “Good night, Anna,” he whispered. He got up to leave.
 
“Yoh.”
 
Her voice was faint and muffled under the oxygen mask, but her dark eyes held a light he'd never seen before.
 
“Yoh, is that you?”
 
He grasped her thin hand. “Anna,” he said. “I'm right here.”
 
Yoh saw her smile faintly. “You saved me,” she whispered hoarsely. “Arigato.”
 
“I almost killed you,” he said. “I know that you heard me that night.”
 
She closed her eyes tightly. “I heard you,” she said. “I don't want you to be unhappy. I promise I'll leave you alone.” Her dark eyes opened again, and this time they sparkled with tears. “I'll come back if you ever want me…but I'll leave. Since that's what you want.”
 
Yoh's jaw dropped. “Anna!” he exclaimed. He gathered her into his arms, careful not to jostle her. She whimpered, her hot forehead pressing against his shoulder, craving his touch. “Anna, I don't want you to go anywhere. I want you to stay. Stay here, with me.” He touched his cheek against his temple. “Just…just stay.”
-
-
-
For author's notes and commentary, please visit my homepage and go to the link marked “Fanfiction.”