Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ The Darkness Dragon ❯ Family p.1 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The assorted creatures and things gathered around the dining room table. LP-Ryu and V-Yoh presented their frightening feast. For appetizers, Ryu had prepared Demon Eggs (Deviled Eggs), followed by a buffet style meal. Possessed Porkchops, Feral Fries, and a variety of 'Soul food' (lol) found themselves piled onto the hungry Horo-bear's and co.'s plate and the party was underway. Yoh joked around with Anna-matrix, receiving the handle of her whip in his face. Kirara warned Yoh to watch where he put his mouth, his vampire teeth were ceramic and very easy to break. HoroHoro poked fun at Ren's switch with his spirit.
"I wouldn't be talking. Bear can't speak human tongue." Ren retorted.
Laughter and conversation filled the room along with the smells of Ryu's dinner. As everything settled down and the plates were put away, Jun asked the question that would change this night for everyone, "So.. who invited us?"
Silence ate the room, a plague as it was, it's occupants glancing at one another. This had been on Anna's mind as well. No one had planned for this elaborate shindig before hand, except for Kirara. She shrugged and said she didn't write any invitations and that she didn't even know 'Ren-koi' had a sister. Jun clenched her fist. The little brat called her brother what? And didn't even know who she was?! Sigh. Anyways, there was no able-bodied person, living or not, who knew how the Tao's knew about their party. The earlier silence returned, taking a vice like grip around the party goers.
"I have a feeling that I will regret this." Yoh started, "But Kirara, what did your parents do for a living?"
"Lemme think." she leaned back with a familiar laid back attitude, "Mom was a Shamaness, Daddy was...."
Everyone leaned in.
"Vicious necromancer."
"NANI!?!?!?" They all cried. HoroHoro went on to say, "How could your mother fall in love with a vicious necromancer?"
"He wasn't always vicious. Not until my mother died. Now he's hell-bent on reviving her with her blood." Kirara smiled and sipped her juice.
"Her blood?" Manta said, "But that would mean you!"
"Yep. But the only person in my family who knows I'm here is... um..."
"Your brother." Anna continued, "But he's been locked away for murder, wasn't he?"
"Yeah. Disfunctional family, ne?" Kirara shrugged and set her cup down. She rose to her feet and calmly walked over to a plastic bag that laid next to the TV. It was quite a wonder that she was so calm about her brother and father both being maniacs. The wolf/shaman dug her hand inside the plastic bag and pulled out a thick, tomb-like book. As she sat back down, motioning for the others to create a semi-circle around her, Anna rose and turned the lights off. Two flashlights came on, they were planted in her wolf ears, and Kirara opened the dusty tome. Inside it was a DVD box, with the words 'The Ring' written on the front along with a light blue and black colored well.
"Oh, Ringu." Yoh whispered.
"You've seen it before?" asked HoroHoro.
"Not this version."
"Ho?"
"This is the American remake. It's suppose to be pretty good." Kirara smirked and put the DVD in. The trailers began to play and she squeezed herself between HoroHoro and Ren, laying on her stomach and controling the DVD player from the floor. The DVD menu flashed on, there was a fly on it that was facing the wrong direction. She clicked play.
***(an hour or so later)
Kirara clunged to Ren's sleeve, tears and sweat covering her face and body. Manta had passed out and Yoh was in perpetual shock. It was a good movie. Anna got up and turned the movie off, the only light was the two flashlights in Kirara's ears. There was a shuffle as Ryu turned his own light and the room light on.
"That wasn't too bad, was it?" He asked.
"N-no..." HoroHoro shuddered, "It was pretty good, huh, Kororo?... Kororo?" The Koro Pukkuru was missing. Everyone searched the room and only Pirika was able to find any trace of her, the little coltsfoot leaf on which there was a little yellow ring that was a make-shift halo. HoroHoro picked it up and stuffed it in his bear suit. Amidamaru could not sense the little spirit anywhere in the house. That was strange. Where would Kororo go at this time of night? And by herself of all things. Yoh suggested that they split up (Thanks, Fred) and search for her. Anna, Pirika (she really didn't want to leave her brother, though), Yoh, and Amidamaru made up the first team, Manta (as soon as he wakes up), Jun, and Pailong made up the second one, Ryu and Tokegeroh, and finally Ren, Bason, Kirara, Areia, and HoroHoro made up the last search party. After the others filed out, HoroHoro and Ren were ready to leave, but Ren could not stand straight. Kirara was still on the floor, latched to his wrist.
"Kirara, get up." Ren snorted.
"Can't." she replied, "Too scared. Please carry."
***(Moments later)
"I hate having my back open when I'm scared." Kirara murmured into Ren's shoulder. He was carrying her on his back while HoroHoro and Areia played rear and front guard. HoroHoro growled under his breath that he hated being scared and spiritless in a bear costume. Everything had been quiet since everyone had split up to find Kororo. Not a sound besides the soft padding of HoroHoro's paws on the wood could be heard. Even Ren's shoes were silent. There's was no wind rustling the scarce leaves on the trees that dotted the yard. Not even the little night crawlers and various critters that usually scampered about the house were out and about. It seemed as if time itself had stopped dead in its tracks. The thought made HoroHoro shudder.
A shriek echoed throughout the hotel, causing Kirara to almost pass out from shock. HoroHoro knew it instantly as Pirika and raced off to find her. When they did, she was wrapped in black prayer bead and being held up by a man dressed in a black hooded trench coat. Yoh had already integrated with Amidamaru, and Anna had her own prayer beads up.
"O-onii-chan...." whimpered Kirara, who soon lapsed into violent convulsions. Ren sat her down and covered her with the red (scarf cape thingy) around his neck. He then rose and integrated with Bason, ready to fight. ::Oniichan?:: Ren thought to himself.
"You!" He said aloud. The hooded figure's hidden face turned to look directly at him. Ren felt a cold and painful shiver go down his spine, "Are you, by chance, Kirara's brother?"
The dead silence returned as a shimmery evil grin revealed itself within the shadows of the jacket. Apparently, Ren was dead on (dry humour). HoroHoro jumped forward in an attempt to rescue his sister, but 'Oniichan' shot a hand out and caught him by the throat. He cried out in pain as the man's grip tightened. Yoh lunged at him, trying to numb his arm. Another rope of prayer beads snaked out of the guy's jacket and snatched him up like they had gotten Pirika. Two more ropes sprang out, one catching Anna, and the other snagging Ren's Kwan-Dao, slowly pulling him forward.
"Father has been waiting for you, Kirara." hissed something gaseous from under the hood. It certainly wasn't a voice, because it held no real weight on anyone's ears but Kirara's, who convulsed a bit more before standing up weakly to face the monster who had her friends in prayer bead chains.
"You should leave this place, Soata." she whispered. Her hair concealed her eyes, but tears could be seen dripping off her cheeks, "You have no place in this house nor in my life anymore!"
"Heh."
-fin-