Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ The Path to Destiny ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Shaman King
 
 
Chapter 2
 
Asuri woke up the next day, a good feeling swept through him; Today is going to be a good day. I can feel it. He leapt out of bed, and ran to the window. The rising sun hit his eyes, and he sighed, “C'mon day, bring it on!” He threw on some sweatpants and a sweatshirt, put on some shoes, and ran out the door for his morning run. As he ran, he kept thinking the words, I will be the best, better then the rest. I will be the best, better then the rest.
 
He got back to the house and showered. Asuri looked in the mirror and smiled. His hair is two-toned, brown bangs and blonde for the rest. He is 5' 11'', and looked really thin. But he weighed a lot. His body was covered in muscles from the prior years of training. He was fairly tanned, but had no other distinct features. His face was normal, except for the green eyes. The only other thing that no one would know about is the countless scars covering his body. Many many years of training, being stressed out, and fighting have left him with a lot of telltales. Asuri smiled, this was the face of the most powerful. He threw a shirt and pants on and left the room.
 
Asuri jumped down the stairs 3 at a time, and entered the kitchen. “Where's Mom and Dad?” he asked Kya. Kya sat on the table with the morning newspaper, “They left, Yukito said that they left for some business in London, and they won't be back for a few weeks.” Asuri sighed; they were use to this. Their parents were both shamans, and both of them worked as Enforcers. An Enforcer's job is to maintain shamanic peace. It is a dangerous and hard job, but they enjoy it. Asuri smiled, for he knew that it wouldn't make his parents happier if he followed their footsteps into becoming an Enforcer.
 
Asuri looked around and asked, “By the way, where is Yukito?” Kya smiled, “Oh he's upstairs looking at a new book I got last week. He's been reading it all night, and is almost done.” Asuri sighed, and grabbed the box of cereal. He sat in the table and poured himself a bowl. He sensed something, and turned to see Yukito float in. “Good morning,” Yukito said, “Kya, thank you for that wonderful novel, I enjoyed it very much.” Kya nodded, “You're welcome.” Asuri sighed, and went back to his Fruit Loops. Yukito was Kya's guardian ghost, an ancient scribe for the Japanese emperor __________. He died at an early age because of war, but could not crossover because there was too much reading and writing he wanted to do. Kya was equally interested in books and writing, and adopted him so they can together learn as much knowledge as possible. Asuri smiled, his sister may look like a little weakling, but she was the smartest person he knew. She was only 14, and she knew ore then any teacher at the public school about anything. As much as Asuri didn't want to admit it, he had to say that she surpassed him exceedingly. However, fighting wise, Kya and Yukito could do nothing. But using a book of knowledge, such as an encyclopedia, as a medium, they were able to find weakness in opponent's technique's and skills.
 
“Useful, but not offensive,” Asuri muttered. Kya looked at him, “What?” Asuri shook his head, “Oh nothing. So how are you doing in college?” Kya looked back her breakfast, “Find, find. I still get picked on, but it doesn't matter. And I am still passing all my classes with A's.” Asuri looked up at his sister, “If you need me to kick some of these guys butt, just ask me.” Kya smiled, “No, I can handle them. You have enough trouble at your school.”
 
Asuri growled, “Hey, don't pick on the stupid people.” Kya chuckled, “I'm not implying anything. Now if you want to get to school on time, I advise you leave quickly.” Asuri swiveled around to the clock, “What the! I didn't know it was that late!!!” Kya picked back up the newspaper, “Run!” Asuri swore, grabbed his book bag and ran out the door.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri opened the door to his classroom. As he walked in, everyone inside looked at him from his or her books. The teacher sighed, “Good of you to join us Asuri. That is another after school for you. Please get in your seat, and turn to page 927 in your math book.”
 
Asuri sighed, and walked to his desk near the window. As he plopped in the chair, his best friend, Jed, leaned over, “So how many does that make this month?” Asuri opened to the back of his math book, and put another tally in a page full of them, “28 times.” “Damn man, but you could make it here on time you know. Asuri sighed, “I know, but I lose track of time back at home.”
 
Jed nodded, “Yeah, whatever. You know, that new arcade is opening, a couple blocks down. How about after school hours we go check it out?” “Sure, now what page did she say?” “Beats me, just ignore her.” Asuri leaned back in his chair, it was going to be a long day.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri sighed as he sat back. Lunch was always disgusting at his school, the school didn't believe in putting actual money into the food the students eat. Asuri looked at the pizza in his hand, trying to decide if it was edible or not. Jed came by, and sat next to Asuri, “Is it just me?” he asked, “Or is this pizza look exactly like the crap they threw away last week?”
 
Asuri sighed, and looked out the window of the lunchroom. Jed continued to ramble on, “I mean, I swear this piece I have has the same exact burn marking I had last week, and I threw it . . . . . .” Asuri ignored him, and just sighed with content. He thoroughly enjoyed nature. It was an aspect all shamans shared, the love of nature. Just feeling the wind on his skin always made Asuri tingle. It is soon, he thought, I can sense it. Soon I shall find a guardian spirit and leave on my quest to become the best.
 
Reality hit him as Jed spoke to him, “Asuri? Hello, is anyone home? Asuri?” Asuri snapped out of his thoughts, and looked up at Jed, “Yeah? What is it?” “Could you go and buy me a soda? I have no more money.” Asuri sighed, and nodded, “Yeah, but you owe me.”
 
Asuri slid his chair back, and slammed right into someone's lunch tray. All the food flew up onto the person. “You goddamn little bastard!” Asuri froze, “Oh shit!” He slowly turned around to see David, the class bully. Asuri stood up, only coming to David's shoulders. David looked down at Asuri; “You are now going to die you little bastard.” Asuri gulped as David advanced on him.
 
David swung his huge gorilla fists at Asuri, but he jumped to the left, dodging them. David growled, and swung again. Asuri dodged again, His attacks are slow; I can handle this! David roared out in rage, and charged at him. Asuri jumped back, and roundhouse kicked David in the gut. “Unng!” David cried out in surprise. Asuri swung around again, and caught David in the side of his head. David fell to his knees, blood dripping from the wound on his head.
 
Asuri smirked, “That wasn't so hard . . . .” David swung straight up, catching Asuri off guard. Asuri felt the fist connect with his head, and blacked out for a moment. It felt like concrete! David stood up and laughed, “That's what you get you little punk!” Asuri stood up from the blow, “Is that all you got? Then bring it on!” David growled, and charged at Asuri.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
The teachers all gathered around the forming crowd by the fight. “Shouldn't we stop this?” One asked another. The second shook his head, “No way, I wouldn't want to get in-between those two. David is huge and that Asuri kid, he's supposed to be a martial arts master!” The teachers nodded, “Just wait until some force gets here.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri leapt back and rapidly punched at David's gut. David took a few hits, before catching Asuri's fist. “Oh shit,” Asuri swore, before being thrown 10 feet away. It's not that he's skilled or anything, he thought as he slowly stood up, it's just that he is so huge! Asuri rolled towards David, and punched him on the side of his neck. David froze for a second; a pressure point was hit. Asuri fell to the ground, and kicked at David's ankles, making him drop to the ground.
 
David fell with a loud `thud' Asuri smiled, and used a table to jump high in the air, “TAKE THIS!” Asuri fell onto David, kicking him rapidly in the chest. David gasped out in pain as he lost consciousness. Asuri wiped a little blood off his face and sighed, “That wasn't so hard.”
 
The crowd burst out cheering. Jed came up to Asuri, “Dude! That was the sweetest thing I have ever seen! And you are so screwed you can't believe it. Asuri looked out the window at the ambulance and cops arriving. “Aww shit.” Jed continued, “Yeah, but man! I can't believe how good you are! And that David sure had it coming! Now he will never mess with you again!” Asuri nodded, and stoop up to be hand cuffed by the approaching cops.
 
 
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“DO YOU GET HOW SERIOUS THIS IS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT CHARGES DAVID'S PARENTS ARE PLANNING TO CHARGE YOU WITH? YOU BROKE 4 RIBS!” Asuri leaned back in his chair, trying to ignore the loud policeman lecturing him about his earlier fight. Asuri wiped some more blood off some of the few wounds he got from David, and went back to his daydream.
 
The policeman sat down, wiping his face with a handkerchief to get rid of the sweat. “Asuri,” the man said, “I know you are a good boy. You get decent grades in school, you aren't in drugs or alcohol, and these fights are the only things you have against the law. Your parents, they are great people, and I was hoping you would take after them instead of . . . . .”
 
“Instead of what?” Asuri asked. He sat up and asked again, “Instead of what? I am perfectly happy how I am, and I would have been perfectly fine not to fight him, but he swung at me first. I was only protecting myself.” Asuri sat back again, “It doesn't matter,” he whispered to himself, “I soon will be out of here to be on my quest.”
 
“What did you say?” the officer asked. Asuri shook his head, “Nothing. By the way, since I did it out of self-defense, doesn't that mean I have no right to be here, and the charges from David are nullified? I have more then 40 witnesses that say he swung first.” The officer sighed, “Yes, you are free to go Asuri.” Asuri smiled, and hopped out of the chair. As he made his way to the door he heard the officer warn, “Asuri . . . . Just be careful of David. He might want revenge.” Asuri smiled, “OK.” And walked out the door.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri calmly walked down the sidewalk. I bet Jed still wants to go to that new arcade; I might as well stop at his house. Asuri turned a corner, and headed down the street.
 
A squawk grabbed Asuri's attention. He looked up and saw a large black bird fly down above him and into a tree. Asuri smiled, “It's about time.” Asuri walked over to the tree and extended his arm, “C'mon Kull, I don't have much time.”
 
A 2-foot raven flew down onto Asuri's arm. “Aw, cut the crap, do you have the package?” Asuri smiled inwardly. Kull was an old friend he had since he was very little. When he was living 300 years ago, he was the pet/partner of a great thief. For years they would steal to their hearts desire. When his master passed over, he couldn't, there was too much he wanted. This made his spirit to stay in the Material Plane. Asuri met him, and they grew to be good friends. For the last few years, Asuri has been asking Kull to go around, searching for shamanic activity and spiritual problems. Asuri would check it all out, solving any problems and hoping to find a guardian spirit. In return, Asuri brought Kull a gift.
 
Asuri smiled, “Of course I do. Here.” Asuri pulled out a bag, and opened it. “Yummy!” Kull cried out in joy, and dived in the bag. Inside was a McDonald's double quarter pound burger, a large fry, and a large mountain dew. And also a magical symbol made by Kya. The symbol allowed Kull to eat the essence of the food, so he could actually taste it.
 
“Oh, that was great!” Kull mumbled, crawling out of the bag. Asuri sighed, and threw the bag in the trash. “Information?” Kull jerked in his head, “Oh yeah! I heard one good thing. I heard there is going to be a huge ceremony of some kind in the southern hills, by Crystal Lake.” Asuri picked Kull up off the ground, “Oh yeah? What kind of ceremony?” Kull shook is head, “No idea, but it is going to be something huge, a once in the lifetime opportunity. You won't believe what I had to go through to find out though. I was almost trapped in their spirit nets at least a dozen times!” Asuri nodded, “Of course, sure. So do you have a time for this big party?” Kull flew up in the air, “Yeah, midnight, sharp. I'm tired; all that flying got me pooped. I'm going home to rest.” Asuri nodded, knowing very well that spirits didn't sleep, but could rest to regenerate their stamina.
 
“Go ahead, I'm going to meet a friends for the night, and from there I'll sneak to Crystal Lake. Make sure you tell Kya you are there.” Kull nodded, “And Asuri . . .” “Yeah?” “Be careful man, this is nothing like you've seen. I can tell something is not right. Just be careful.” Asuri smiled, “Of course. See you at home Kull.” With that, Kull flew off, and Asuri continued his way to Jed's place.
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
“YEAH! GO ASURI GO!” Asuri and Jed was a the new arcade, and Asuri managed to get 20 dollars of change out of the change machine with one of his kicks while the guards weren't looking. “Oh shit!” Asuri swore, GAME OVER appeared in the screen in front of him. Jed laughed, “Damn man, here! Let me try!” Jed popped in a few quarters, and the game began.
 
Asuri looked at the clock, 10:23 PM. it wasn't time to leave yet, but it was at least an hours travel to Crystal Lake, so he had to get ready to leave soon. Be careful . . .Those words Kull said gave Asuri the shivers. Most on these little excavations he did were fairly safe, but Kull was actually frightened of this thing. Maybe I shouldn't go Asuri thought, but he shook that idea out of his head. If he were to complete his dream, he would need to not feel fear.
 
I still wish Kull would come with. . . .Asuri thought of all the times he would've been a goner if Kull weren't there. Kull was a great scout, able to see and hear 10 times better then him. He was great at stealth, and sneaking up, and everything a thief can do. And when times got rough, Asuri would use Kull for spirit unity. But Kull didn't like spirit integration. He said it made him feel weird after they separated. Asuri chuckled, Kull would be a great guardian ghost, but he doesn't want to be one, so we stay as friends, and I continue to search for another worthy ghost.
 
Asuri broke out of trance, and looked back at Jed, “Hey man, how . . . .” but Jed was gone. “That retard,” Asuri scowled, “He could have told me he was going to play some other game.” Asuri looked around at the nearby games, but didn't see him. “What the . . . . .he couldn't have gone that far.” Asuri walked around the building, looking for his friend, but saw no sign of Jed anywhere.
 
Asuri started to panic, “I know he wouldn't have gone home without me, so where . . .” he trailed off as he saw something. By a door marked FOR EMPLOYEES ONLY stood David. Asuri froze Oh no! David smirked, and beckoned him to come, and walked into the door. Asuri walked over to the door, and walked through it.
 
Inside was a long corridor with countless doors on each side. Peering down the hallway Asuri saw David far down at an open door, still smiling. Asuri started to run, racing after David. He reached the door and found himself in another room. He walked inside and saw David at another door. Asuri ran to it, and walked outside into the night.
 
Asuri walked outside, behind the Arcade building. David was disappeared from sight, but Asuri saw Jed's limp body lying on the ground. “Jed!” he shouted. He jogged over to Jed, and lifted him up, “You okay buddy?” Jed stirred; opening his eyes slightly, “Ohhh man! My head is killing me! It feels like some concrete whacked me over the head! Where am I?” Asuri stood up; “David brought you here to lure me here. DAVID!!!”
 
David walked out of a shadow, “There is nowhere to run Asuri, and I will get my revenge on you!” Asuri shook hi head, “You idiot! You started that fight, and you are the one whose fault this all is. What did I do?” What?!?!?” David roared, “What did you do? You beat me! I was the biggest, and everyone feared me, and you screwed that up! And since you had to go plead that it was self-defense, that counted as my third strike!” David hustled around, “And now I am going to get my revenge, by killing you!”
 
Asuri was a little frightened, the mad look in David's eye gave him the chills, but he knew that he was safe. “You couldn't beat me last time!” he shouted, “How do you expect to beat me now?” David held his hand out, “Spirit Unity!”
 
Asuri's eyes widened! “Oh no!” he whispered. How could he have not sensed it before? Energy swirled around David's hand, and a ball with a face appeared. “He's . . . .He's a shaman!” Asuri whispered in disbelief. I stand no chance!
 
Jed looked up confused, “What's going on Asuri? Why don't you kick his ass like last time? Why is he standing like that and what the hell is a shaman?” Asuri jerked down at Jed, Of course! Jed can't see the spirit! So of course he is confused. David mustn't know I am a shaman as well, and I can see the spirit! I must get Jed out of here.
 
Asuri looked down at Jed and whispered frantically, “Jed, you have to get out of here. It is too dangerous for you.” Jed shook his head, “No! I'm not going to leave you alone with him. Anyway, you can just kick his butt like last time. And why did you whisper shaman?” Asuri looked down at Jed, his face full of worry, “Listen to me, this is going to be nothing like last time. I don't stand a chance now! Go!”
 
Jed felt the fear flowing out of Asuri, and nodded. He never felt such fright from his friend, and it worried him, “Ok, I'm gone, good luck.” Jed ran off. Asuri gulped, “Yeah, I'm going to need it.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri picked up an iron bar on the ground next to him, and poised against David. David laughed and put on some iron knuckles, “You fool! I am stronger then I was before. You stand no chance. INTEGRATE!” unknowingly by David, Asuri watched as he merged with the spirit, and all of the spirit's strength, speed, and skill flowed in him as well. David looked up, and said in a voice nothing like his own, “You should have taken the chance to flee. So now you will pay with your life!”
 
David charged at Asuri at amazing speeds for his size. “Shit!” Asuri swore, and leapt out of the way just in time. He swung his bar around like a club, and connected with David's ribs. David didn't even flinch, and turned around and punched again. Asuri jumped back, but the wind caught him and threw him back. BAM. David's fist connected with the concrete ground, leaving a huge hole. Asuri stared at the whole, “Damn.”
 
David smirked, and picked up a nearby crate. He threw it at Asuri. Asuri rolled out of the way, and jumped at David. David didn't even move to dodge; Asuri attacked twice at high speeds. He landed on the ground behind David. Any normal person would have 10 broken ones by now, but David spun around and punched Asuri in the back. Asuri flew through the air, and landed in a heap 20 feet away.
 
David chuckled, “This whole time I have been holding back, to see your strength, and now I know you are a weakling!! Now it's time to show you my true strength!”
 
Asuri slowly rose, his whole back screaming of pain. He looked up at David, and watched him disappear. David reappeared next to Asuri, and punched him again. “Aaaauugghh!” Asuri screamed in pain as he flew through the air. But in mid air, David appeared, and hit him again. Asuri flew in another direction, only to be attacked again.
 
Finally David let off, and Asuri fell battered to the ground. He tried to stand up, but fell back down from the agony. He breathed hard as blood dripped off him; he flinched at the pain in his chest, I must have a few broken ribs, as well as a couple other broken bones. Asuri glanced up at the standing David, his furiyoku steaming out of him. He's too fast! Asuri thought, I can't beat him, it's over. Asuri lay on the ground, feeling sorrow and grief, I never got my dream.
 
David started to laugh a deep throaty laugh; Asuri cringed at the sound of it. “This is the end fool! I shall now get my revenge! You were a weakling this whole time, now beg for your life and I may end your life with less pain.” Asuri glared up at David, no fear shown in his face. David chuckled, “Suit yourself.”
 
Suddenly a car horn blared. David and Asuri looked at the streets, and saw a car drive towards them. Asuri's hopes lifted, even through the night he could see who was driving it, “Jed!” David looked at the car with immense anger; “He can't help you now!” David disappeared from sight, but Asuri was in a completely different mood. I must become the best, and if I want to do that, ii must survive this and defeat him the next time! I must!!!
 
Asuri suddenly saw the world in slow motion. Through it all, he saw David move in slow motion towards him. “I'm ready!” Ignoring the pain, Asuri spun around and kicked at David's feet. David tripped, and flew through the air. Landing on the ground, he moaned in pain form the fall.
 
Asuri got up and winced form the severe pain in his chest and back, and ran towards Jed in the car. “Are you okay? You look horrible! What happened?” Asuri got in the car, and closed the door, “Drive! Hurry!” Jed nodded, and slammed down on the accelerator. David glared at the receding car; “I'll get you next time, Asuri.”
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
Asuri leaned back in the passenger chair, breathing hard from the earlier battle. Jed looked at Asuri and his state, “What happened? How did David do this to you?” he asked, the worry was very apparent in his voice. Asuri just sighed, and wiped some blood from his face, “I must look like a mess. I'm sorry.” Jed chuckled uneasily, “It's alright Asuri, bit be serious, why did David wipe the floor with you?”
 
Asuri hesitated; he couldn't say anything about spirits and shamans to Jed. Not that he didn't want to, but it was forbidden that any non shaman/ one who can see spirits should know of their world and ways. Asuri shrugged, and lied, “David must be stronger then we all thought, and I wasn't.”
 
Jed should his head, “No way. I know you; you are the best. And when I was there at the beginning, I could've swore I saw something . . . . .” Asuri jerked his at Jed, “What? What did you see?” Jed turned a right on a street, and continued, “I could have sworn I saw something flowing out of David, some kind of power. And when he had his hand outstretched, I know I saw a, like, ghost ball in it.” Jed laughed, “Kind of crazy, huh?”
 
Asuri's face turned white. If Jed could see all that, does that mean his power to see spirits is starting to emerge?? He could have been a shaman all this time and not have known about it. And when David started to integrate, his furiyoku must have triggered Jed's shamanic abilities!!! He could become a shaman!
 
Asuri glanced over at Jed, and looked him over. He knew Jed since 3rd grade. Jed became an orphan when his parents died of `unknown causes', and moved here to live in the nearby orphanage. Jed was about 5' 10'' tall, weighed about normal weight. He had dirty blonde hair that he kept long and hanging all over the place. He was thin, but had a little muscle since he took up weight lifting a few years back as a hobby. The one thing though, the first thing Asuri noticed when he first met Jed was his eyes. They had that kind of look; one that you rarely find.
 
I've got to tell him, Asuri thought, I have to explain everything. He looked up to see Jed pull into his driveway. Jed turned to Asuri; “Here's your place.” Asuri smiled, “Why don't you spend the night? Tomorrow is Saturday, so we'll hang out.” Jed smiled, “Great! Thanks! That orphanage is getting pretty bad. And tomorrow we have to return this vehicle. I stole it at Central Avenue.” Asuri shook his head, “Baka.” Jed and Asuri got out of the vehicle. Asuri limped to the driver's side and said, “Jed?” “Yeah?” Asuri looked down, and said, “I've . . . . . . .I have to talk with you. I've got something you need to know.” Jed smiled, “Sure thing man, tomorrow though. Let's go!”
 
Jed walked into the house, leaving Asuri outside. Asuri sighed, he has no idea. He got in the car, and started it. “Oh shit!!! It's 11:20 PM!!! I'm going to be late!” Asuri slammed on the pedal, and squealed the tires as he spun out onto the road. Asuri shifted to drive, and squealed again as he raced south towards Crystal Lake.
 
~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
 
A man approached another; “The time is soon.” The other nodded, “Yes, and we shall be saved after tonight. Prepare the ceremony, we begin at midnight.
 
 
 
Author's notes: So what do you think?? I loved writing it, and I have many ideas for the chapters to come. I plan to finish this, so don't quit on me yet. I apologize if the fighting scenes aren't how you expected them, but writing a fight is hard for me. I would love some pointers. R&R!!!!!!