Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ Gymnastic Practice ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own anyone from SlamDunk…

Chapter 5

"Huh?" Yuna turned to Haruko in surprised. "The basketball team lost at the practice match with Ryonan High?"

"Hai!" Haruko said sadly. "There was a player in that team, number seven. Akira Sendoh, he was really good."

"Akira Sendoh?" Yuna wondered out loud.

"Even Rukawa- kun couldn't beat him." Haruko said miserably.

"Rukawa?" Yuna whispered.

She had watched him practice before but not all the time, even how she despised him she had to admit that he was good. Now, that Haruko was telling her that someone by the name of Akira Sendoh was even better than him.

How good is Akira Sendoh anyway? Yuna thought. No wonder Rukawa was practicing even harder than before.

"Are you coming to the practice today?" Haruko asked hopefully.

"Iya, I had to meet up with some of my old friends from the gymnastic team after school." Yuna said. "I may be joining up the gymnastic team."

"Gymnastic team?" Haruko looked amazed. "You can do gymnastic?"

Yuna smiled at Haruko surprised face she nodded. "I used to be in the school team too when I was in junior school."

"I heard that their practice match will be with a very strong team too." Haruko said. "I think it is the team from Ryonan as well."

"Honto?" Yuna said wonderingly. "Maybe that was why they asked me join the team."

After school Yuna made her way to the gymnastic hall. The captain was very happy to see her come.

"Arigatou for coming Yuna!" The captain said. She was taller than Yuna by an inch and her hair was in a very boy cut style. "Why don't you get change into the leotard and join the tryouts."

"Hai Nabiko Sempai." Yuna said. "But don't get your hopes too high, I hadn't practice gymnastic for almost three years now. I may be quite slow right now compared to the time you met me in junior school."

"We will see when we inspect your tryouts." Nabiko said smiling.

Meanwhile, at the basketball court, Rukawa and the other first years Ishi, Kuwata and Sasaoka were mopping the floor before the sempai arrive. Sakuragi however was late and wasn't there yet.

"Did you hear?" Kuwata said while he mopped. "Yuna had joined the gymnastic team. I wonder will she be any good."

Rukawa who was also mopping stopped for a second when he heard Yuna's name before he continued again looking unperturbed.

That tomboy, in gymnastic? Rukawa thought to himself silently. She will probably break anything she touches there. They had got to be kidding.

"Really? Sasaoka said then. "How I wish I could go there to watch then."

"Yuna you are amazing!" Nabiko exclaimed at the end of the practice. "I'm so glad you came. Even you stopped for three years, it seemed like you never did!"

"I'm surprised myself too," Yuna said smiling. Maybe Kenpo training and sped up my senses too, she thought silently to herself.

She threw the clubs up, spinning, then she jumped up did a split in the air and caught the clubs swiftly. She had attracted a lot of guys to the gymnastic hall all of them came to watch her perform.

"Well, the match will be coming up next week, everyone has to prepare." Nabiko said to the rest. "All right, this is all for the day!"

The girls dispersed when Yuna left the hall, and headed to the locker room. She took her things and a towel and headed back to the gymnastic hall. It was already deserted by the time she went back. Glad, that she could be alone so that no one could disturb her practice.

Over that the basketball team, Akagi had just let them off too. Everyone made their way to the exit.

"I heard from a friend just now that Yuna was great." Kuwata said. "How I wish I could go watch as well."

"Eh," Ishi said. "Not only you neh, I would also want to go if there isn't practice as well."

Rukawa listened to their conversation silently as they all made their way to the locker room. That tomboy sure can attract boys, he thought. He then took out a towel wrapped in around his shoulders he headed out again when Sasaoka called.

"Eh, Rukawa, you aren't going home yet?" he asked

"Iya." Rukawa said shortly and left.

While walking back to the court he was surprised to see there were lights coming out from the gymnastic hall. Rukawa suspected, the only person who would still be inside as he walked over to the gym hall. He looked in and his suspicion was confirmed when he saw Yuna inside still practicing. She was using the ribbons this time, Rukawa was amazed to see how gracefully she could handled the ribbon in the hand making all kinds of shapes with it. His eyes widened with surprised when he saw, Yuna threw the ribbon to the other end of the hall and did a split in mid air reaching out to the ribbon, caught it swiftly and she land on her feet gracefully.

Yuna smiled pleased with the practice, she turned to her bags and towel and went over to them and picked up the towel. She then turned towards the door and got a fright out of her life when she saw a very tall person standing by the door. She thought everyone had gone home, when she stared at the familiar cold blue eyes, she scowled.

Rukawa watched, that pleasant and pretty face turning sour. He sighed inwardly and thought, doesn't she ever get tired of being angry all the time.

"What are you doing sneaking up on me like that?" She snapped. "What do you want?"

"Just came to watch." He said indifferently.

"So kah!" Yuna retorted.

"You are good." Rukawa said in his unemotional voice before he turned to leave.

Yuna's mouth fell opened then, staring at the door even Rukawa had left. His voice echoed in her head. `You are good'.

"Huh?" She whispered still stunned.

She turned away from the door then to retrieve her things. Must be her imagination, she thought as she packed her stuff and wear her uniform over the leotard. She didn't feel like showering in school, for she was thinking of having a nice long hot bath at home. She slung her sport bag over her shoulder and picked up her briefcase, then making her way out. While walking out the building she heard the sound of bouncing ball in the basketball court. She turned to the hall and saw the lights were still on.

"Ah reh?" Yuna said softly. "The basketball team is sure hardworking."

She walked over then and slide one of the doors opened. She was stunned to see only one person inside practicing and he was Rukawa Kaede. Rukawa unaware someone was watching carried on with his practice like nothing matters to him the world. He was swift in his bouncing, he never misses any shot and a three pointer that he shot made Yuna raised her eyebrows so high it almost disappeared up her hair.

He is good, Yuna thought to herself.

It was sometime since she came to watch them practice and she never thought Rukawa was such a good player. No wonder almost every girl who watches him fell for him hard.

He was actually quite good looking. Yuna thought still stunned. As quickly as the thought came she shook it away from her head. Jo dan je nai! She thought angrily, that hentai? But… but…

Yuna stood by the door watching him. She could never imagine he could be that such an excellent player. Rukawa did a brilliant dunk and then he bent over his knees breathing hard. Yuna only came back to her senses when she felt something hit her leg lightly. She looked and noticed the ball had rolled to her feet. She blinked putting her things down on the floor and slowly she bent down to pick the ball up.

Rukawa was still bent over his knees when he realized someone else presence in the hall with him. He straightened up and turned around to see Yuna standing by one of the exits with the ball in her hand, for the first time Rukawa saw Yuna wasn't frowning at him. In fact, she was looking at him curiously. She actually looked pretty when she wasn't angry. The silence between them was then interrupted by a voice Yuna hated most.

"Yuna chan!" Kutzo shouted running up from behind her.

"Eck!" Yuna gasped dropping the ball and back away. Kutzo flung his arms around her like he always did when he sees her. "HA NA SAI!" Yuna yelled putting both her hands on his chess so that he couldn't go any closer to her.

"I was waiting for you!" Kutzo said trying to get closer. "We can walk home together like lovers."

"NO WAY! LET ME GO!" Yuna shouted she was about to him a punch on his face when Rukawa spoke.

"She said let go." Rukawa said in his cold emotionless voice. They both turned to him in surprise.

"Why you care anyway." Kutzo said letting Yuna go and advance to Rukawa then. "Don't tell me you want to date her too."

Rukawa remained silent.

"Anyway," Kutzo smiled. "You issued a challenge, I accept."

"Rukawa, iya…" Yuna cried running forward but stopped short when she realized Rukawa wasn't listening to her at all.

Why is he doing this? Yuna wondered looking at him bewilderedly.

To Yuna's surprised, Rukawa threw his fists and Kutzo face which made him flew off his feet and he landed several metres away. Yuna's gaped at the scene, still stunned she stood on the spot emotionlessly. She looked at Kutzo's unconscious figure, only one blow and his flat. Yuna turned to Rukawa then, he had his back on her.

"Rukawa…" Yuna started. "You don't have to…"

"Don't get me wrong." Rukawa said shortly.

"Hmm?"

"I didn't do this because I want to date you." Rukawa turned his head slightly to look at Yuna. "You both were bothering me practice."

"Eh?" Yuna's anger was starting to rise again.

"Besides nobody will want to date a tomboy like you." Rukawa continued turning away from her.

At that moment, the ball came flying from behind and hit Rukawa at the back of his head so hard, he staggered forward. He turned around angrily to see Yuna in a position like she had just tossed the ball. She looked like an erupted volcano then.

"To think you were worried about me." Yuna said her voice quivering with anger as she straightened up. "I must be a fool to think you would be a nice guy for even a second. HMMPFFF!" With that she turned around huffily, got her things and walked out the court irately.

Rukawa no baka! She thought to herself furiously.

Rukawa rubbed the back of his head as he stared at the departing Yuna. What the hell is wrong with her? He thought. Yuna that sin ji na re nai tomboy.

He pushed her out of his mind almost immediately after Yuna disappeared down the corridor. The inter school matches were about to begin. With Ryota Miyagi who had just re entered the team, the Shohoku Team had become better by another level. Not caring about anything else he carried on with his practice.

Yuna who was walking home alone, was still very infuriated by what Rukawa had said. Moh, that baka! She thought furiously. How could I think he was a nice guy even for a minute. That baka only cares about himself and nobody else. How can Ojiisan expect us to be friends? Especially with a baka like that!

"Tadaimas!" Yuna cried as she entered the house.

"Oh soai ar." Kasumi said coming to greet her. "I had left dinner for you in the kitchen."

"Arigatou." Yuna said. "But for now I need a nice long hot bath."

"Well take your time." Kasumi smiled. "I'm going back to my room now."

"Yuna neechan." Sota suddenly called from the stairs. "I need help with this math's sum, it is so confusing. I don't understand a single thing."

"Let me settled down first Sota." Yuna said. "I'll help you later."

Yuna went inside the bathroom then got ready her hot bath, and got in. She sighed, relaxing her whole body. She hummed to herself, forget about that baka, she thought. He is not worth getting all worked up for.

"Wah, this is nice." Yuna said softly to herself, smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

So how is the story so far? Please R/R yeah… would like to know what you all think…