Slam Dunk Fan Fiction ❯ Miss Match ❯ Rukawa's Fan Girls ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14

It was after school as Yuna packed away her things. She was hoping not to bump into anymore of Rukawa Fan Club members. They had given a hell of a day at school during break, during lunch and whenever she went in school. It was the last straw! She clasped her briefcase shut and poked her head out of her class to check the corridor before stepping out of the class and that was when Sakuragi walked up the corridor.

"Ah, you are the girl that got chase by Rukawa's crazy girls. You must be Tendoshi-san" He said when he saw her. "It was close you manage to get away."

"Hai," Yuna said. "So Sakuragi-kun, going for practice now?"

"Hai," Sakuragi said laughing. "With the tensai around, we will never lose another match."

Yuna smiled then remaining silent.

"Are you coming to watch us?" He asked as they both walked down the corridor.

"Well, I guess I will drop by a short while." Yuna said still smiling. "No harm watching the tensai practice."

"HA HA HA HAHA!" Sakuragi touched his head laughing. "I must be a tensai then if you say that."

Yuna chuckled softly to herself then.

Not far from them, Rukawa walked down the same corridor and saw Yuna walking with Sakuragi not far off. He frowned slightly, looking furious.

What the hell is Yuna doing with that Do'aho? He thought to himself walking slightly faster to catch up with them. He managed to come close enough to hear their conversation then.

"So Tendoshi-chan, let me tell you, I the tensai of rebound will be any time better than that kitsune, Rukawa!" Sakuragi said loudly. "That kitsune is nothing but a show off."

Yuna laughed uneasily. She knew that Sakuragi had always had a grudge on Rukawa because of Haruko. She didn't want to upset Sakuragi neither did she wanted to hear Sakuragi saying things like that about Rukawa, anyways she remained silent.

"It's no use cheering for that kitsune!" Sakuragi said. "Besides that guy who had no emotions doesn't even care if a thousand girls do for him."

Sakuragi laughed loudly.

That is true. Yuna inwardly thought.

"Do'aho." They heard a soft deep and uncaring voice said behind them.

They turned around in surprised. Yuna bit her lower lip then to see Rukawa standing behind them. Sakuragi looked so angry his face turned red.

"Who you calling Do'aho?" he shouted at Rukawa.

"You." Rukawa replied shortly.

"Kitsune!" Sakuragi yelled. "You…"

"Hey!" Yuna quickly said stopping their quarrel. She stood between them. "You all will be late for practice if you don't hurry!"

Rukawa turned to look at Yuna then. She was looking up at him anxiously, she smiled softly then.

"You better hurry." She said to him.

"That's right!" Sakuragi said then and Yuna turned back to him. "Well, no time to argue with this kitsune here. Better go practice. Tensai would have no time for stupid things. Going now Tendoshi-san. I'll see you there."

"Hai!" Yuna smiled uneasily, waving at him softly.

"You can actually talk to a Do'aho like him." Rukawa said when he disappeared down the corridor. He then turned away from Yuna and started walking again.

"I think he is rather nice." Yuna said looking at Rukawa's retreating back. "I mean, he is sometimes really rude when he says things but, I can see he really put the effort to practice."

"…" Rukawa just shoved his hands into his pockets as he continued walking.

Yuna stood there watching him. He stopped when Yuna didn't make any move to follow him.

"Aren't you coming?" Rukawa asked without turning around and continued walking again but very slowly for Yuna to catch up with him.

"Eh?" Yuna looked at him surprised. "Hai!" She ran up to his side then as they made their way to gym together quietly.

*************************************************************** *********

Yuna stood by the door with Haruko watching their practice. She smiled whenever Sakuragi turned to look over to wave at Haruko. He really was very comical to Yuna and she couldn't help but laugh whenever he burst laughing loudly after he did something amazing. After an hour of practice, the team took a short break and Ayako came to talk to Yuna and Haruko.

"So Kutzo still disturbing you?" Ayako asked.

"No, the swordsmanship club are having tournament lately." Yuna said gladly. "He hadn't had much time to come chasing after me."

"You must be so happy then." Ayako laughed.

"Of course." Yuna smiled.

However, they were interrupted while they were having break. A huge group of Rukawa Fan Club suddenly appeared at the opposite side of the court looking over to Yuna's direction. Everyone turned to those girls in amazement.

"They are late today." Ayako said. "Usually they will be the first to come to get good places to watch Rukawa."

"Really?" Yuna said surprised.

"I wonder what are they up to?" Haruko wondered out loud and jumped when one of them shouted.

"YOU!" She yelled pointing at Yuna.

Yuna looked at her slightly shocked. She turned around to look behind her, there was nobody standing at the back. She turned back to them her eyes round as a melon and pointed to herself.

Those girls had attracted all the basketball players as they turned to watch them. They were standing around at the corner some drinking water from their bottles others sitting around lazing about. Rukawa however was still in the court throwing some hoops had also stopped when he realized they were shouting at Yuna.

"Me?"

"Yes, you!" She screamed again. "Our Rukawa-sama gave you lunch today!"

"That's the girl." Some girls behind her chorus.

Yuna gaped at them and turned to Ayako who looked flabbergasted.

"What is this all about?" She whispered to Ayako.

"Dunno." She whispered back.

"Don't play dumb!" The girl shouted. "We saw you, and you walked with Rukawa after school."

Yuna raised an eyebrow then, her head still full of question mark.

"We had just finished a meeting." She continued. "And the conclusion is that, if you want to be close with our Rukawa-sama you will have to be one of us."

"Eh?" Yuna said even more stunned now. "Be one of you?"

"So you will wear our outfit." She said taking one out. "And cheer for Rukawa like we cheer for him."

"Huh?" Yuna looked at them disbelievingly. She turned to Ayako then. "Are they for real?"

"They looked serious."

"Hey! Did you hear me?" She shouted showing Yuna the outfit with `Love Rukawa' on it. "You have to wear this outfit!"

Sweat drop appeared on her forehead then. She was still staring at them in astonishment, remembering the way they cheer for Rukawa during the match she turned green recalling of their screaming and stretching of `Rukawa, L.O.V.E, Rukawa', then turned shade of yellow when she remembered how high they tossed their legs in the air till their flimsy underwear could be seen shaking their ridiculers pom poms, not to mentioned their butts too and then red with anger thinking how would they even think of her wearing something like that outfit and cheering the way they do.

Rukawa watched Yuna's face turning from one shade to the other reminding him of traffic lights and quirked his eyebrows slightly. He had no idea that, those girls would made such a fuss over him passing her, the lunch she had forgotten. Not wanting to admit that he had brought her trouble, he turned away from her direction.

"You all got to be joking!" Yuna spluttered after getting a grip on herself. She will never ever cheer like the way they did. It was crazy. "Cheer like all of you? That would be the last thing I would ever do!"

"Nani?" Everyone screamed. "How can she say cheering for Rukawa-sama is the last thing she would do? We will force you wear that outfit!"

"To wear that ridiculous outfit?" Yuna screamed back getting very livid then. "It will just make me look stupid!"

After saying that, Yuna clasped her hand over her mouth. Opps, she thought. Ayako put her hand on her head, and shook her head slowly. Haruko looked frightened then backing away slightly.

"So you are saying we look STUPID!!!!" They shouted.

"I shouldn't have said that." Yuna whispered to Ayako watching the girls getting really angry then.

"Hai," Ayako nodded whispering back. "You shouldn't have."

"You know what?"

"What?" Ayako looked at Yuna slightly surprised, if she had any idea to get away from this, she better do it fast.

"Well, I guess its time," Yuna said slowly looking down the floor.

Ayako watched Yuna, wondering what she had in mind.

"To run!!!!" Yuna cried, turned around and fled down the corridor.

"AH!!" the girls screamed running across the court after her. "She's escaping."

"I AM NEVER WEARING THAT THING!!!!" They heard Yuna's voice echoed down the corridor and the girls screaming chasing after her.

"The first time in my life I saw Yuna running away from girls." Ayako said slightly amused.

"ALL RIGHT TEAM!" Akagi shouted slightly amused by that scene too. "Time to practice again. Break is over!!!"

"The first girl I saw running away from a `Love Rukawa' outfit." Sakuragi said laughing looking at Rukawa. "Tendoshi-san has taste."

"Do'aho." Rukawa said under his breath angrily.

He looked over the door where Yuna was standing a few minutes ago hoping she would be alright. Those girls could be really scary sometimes and to think he had caused all this made him feel slightly at fault. But still not wanting to admit it, he pushed his feelings away and concentrated on basketball.

*************************************************************** *********

"Jeez!" Yuna said slightly winded when she reached outside her house. She place one hand on the wall taking deep breaths. "Those girls must get a life." She said undertone as she walked into the house. "I'm home!"

"Yuna, did you get your lunch?" Kasumi asked holding on to a basket full of clean clothes she had kept in after drying outside. "I told Rukawa to pass it to you."

"Yes a lunch that nearly cost my life." Yuna muttered heading for the stairs. "If I forget next time, never ask Rukawa to send it to me again."

"Eh?" Kasumi looked at Yuna, confused.

Yuna went upstairs, got into her room and flopped down her bed exhausted. She had never got chased by girls before. She buried her face in her pillow.

"They are so much scarier than guys now come to think about it." She said in a muffled voice.

*************************************************************** *********

It was after practice as Rukawa got showered, changed and was cycling back to Yuna's house. It had almost been everyday, he was staying at her place. Yuna had allowed him to the court anytime he wants and besides he felt comfortable with Yuna's family. They were very nice especially Kasumi, who he had never in his life seen her angry before. Rukawa entered the house as Kasumi came out the kitchen carrying a large bowl of soup.

"Rukawa-kun!" She said smiling. "Dinner is ready, will you please call Yuna for me. She just finished work out and went back to her room."

He nodded once and headed upstairs. So she made home alright after all. He thought as he knocked on Yuna's door and waited.

"Nani?" He heard her say inside.

Without much thought, he opened the door and stood rooted at the spot. Yuna was changing out of her judo outfit was standing at the cupboard only in her undergarments. Yuna stared back at Rukawa startled. Soon her look of astonishment turned to anger as she grabbed the nearest thing she could which was her laundry basket and flung it at him. Rukawa slammed the door shut quickly and the basket hit the door with a bang. Yuna stood on the spot breathing heavily.

"Moh!" She said sarcastically. "This is the second time!"

During dinner, Yuna was extremely quiet. Everyone kept looking at her, even Rukawa who looked slightly abashed peeped at her once in a while. He couldn't believe he had caused so many troubles in just a day.

"Did they quarrel?" Sota whispered to ojiisan.

"Looks like it." Ojiisan whispered back. He turned to Yuna clearing his throat. "Yuna…"

"Ojiisan, have some of your favourite `Tau foo" Kasumi said cheerfully passing him the plate. "I had made the style you like best too!"

"Ah?" Ojiisan looked at Kasumi surprised. "Arigatou."

"Yuna Neechan." Sota started to say then.

"Sota, you always like this mince beef with black pepper." Kasumi said passing him the plate. "Here have some more!"

"Eh?" Sota looked at Kasumi confused and took the plate. "Hai, domo."

"I've finished." Yuna said then, collecting her plate and bowl she stood up.

"Yuna Neechan…" Sota quickly called.

"Yuna…" ojiisan said at the same time.

At that time Kasumi got up reached towards them and shut their mouth. Yuna walked out the dining hall without reaction.

"What?" Ojiisan breath deeply after Kasumi let them go.

"Aren't you worried about Yuna neechan?" Sota asked taking deep breaths too.

"I'll make tea for everyone." Kasumi said cheerfully then.

Ojiisan and Sota sighed. Rukawa watched Yuna left the dining hall wonderingly. Was she angry? He couldn't tell. She didn't show any expression when she walked out. Rukawa got up too taking this plate into the kitchen. Ojiisan and Sota watched him, wanting to follow but was stopped by Kasumi as usual.

"Here is your tea." She said.

Ojiisan and Sota gave up then.

Rukawa walked inside the kitchen slowly. Yuna had her back on him washing the plates up. He went up to her then and stood behind.

"I'm sorry." Rukawa blurted out softly. What the hell made me say that? He wondered appalled. Damn my vocal isn't tolerating with me very well lately!

"What for?" Yuna asked without turning around.

"About getting you in trouble in school and…" He couldn't continue his sentence then. He didn't mean to walk into her while she was changing. "You know what." He finally added curtly.

"It wasn't your fault." Yuna said without reaction. "So forget about it."

There was a short silence before Yuna turned around slightly to look at Rukawa.

"Don't you want to wash that?" She asked pointing the plate he was holding and reaching for it.

Rukawa gave her his dishes then. She didn't look angry to his surprised. Lately, Rukawa realized, Yuna and him hadn't been quarreling. She seemed really quiet most of the time and she seemed like she was deep in her thoughts. He hoped everything was alright. He helped her put away the dishes she had washed still wondering what was in her mind.

"I'm going to finish my homework." Yuna said after finished wiping her hands dry. "You should be studying too. Exams are coming."

"My match with Ryonan High is coming too." Rukawa said. "This time I will beat Sendoh!"

"Do your best." Yuna said with a slight smile.

Rukawa turned to look at her. She was sure in a weird mood today. They looked into each others eyes for moment, the feelings that they had for each other suddenly sparks off again. Yuna couldn't understand why, she was having this feeling for Rukawa. She hated to admit it no matter what, but the Rukawa that was standing before her right now, staring back at her was showing slight emotions. She wasn't sure what, was it love? Was because he cared? That was impossible!!!! She shook her thoughts clear quickly.

Turning away from his gaze Yuna walked out the kitchen. She was very confused, to think that he would even care about her. Her mind wasn't working very well then but she had been worried about him, does that mean she cared about him? She hated him before, so how could it be? She wasn't sure.

Rukawa looked at Yuna's departing figure wondering how they hell did this feeling started? He didn't want to say anything or tell her anything because he didn't want to get emotionally involved. He could see there was slight confusion in her eyes telling him that she wanted to make sure, wanted to hear it from him.

No, he thought to himself going out to the basketball court. He couldn't make himself to tell her. He had basketball to think about and nothing else!!!!

It was towards midnight, Yuna finally shut the book she was reading and laid her head on her desk. She still couldn't sleep. Taking a deep breath she left the room and went downstairs.

Rukawa who had just taken a hot bath came out and noticed that there were lights shining out from the Judo Training Hall. Wondering why, he walked over there. Someone was still awake and he was very certain who that person was inside. He walked inside the hall quietly and saw Yuna sitting on the floor her back on him looking at the calligraphy that wrote `Tendoshi Judo Training Hall' on the wall. Rukawa made his way closer to her as she turned her head around. She had her long hair loose and he just realized how long and straight they were reaching down her waist and she was in a white spaghetti top and a pair of white pants which looked so much like her judo pants.

Weird, he thought for he had never seen Yuna in such clothing before.

"Rukawa?" She uttered surprised.

"What are you doing?"

"Couldn't sleep." Yuna said softly turning back to the calligraphy.

Rukawa sat down next to her and looked up the calligraphy too. He never really took much notice of it before. Now he was studying it, who ever that wrote it had really nice handwriting.

"Yuki Oniisan wrote this." Yuna said with a soft smile on her face starting a conversation. She didn't care if Rukawa didn't acknowledge her or he fell asleep. She just felt like talking to someone now. The person she wanted to talk to wasn't around and the only person next to her was Rukawa. So what the hell? "He was a very good in calligraphy writing. He learned it from grandpa."

"You miss him?" Rukawa asked much to her surprised.

"Very much." She answered him quietly and looked down the floor hugging her feet to herself so that her chin rested on her knees. "He should be home but the training seemed to be taking longer than it was supposed to be. I really hope he is alright."

"…" Rukawa stared at her. He didn't know what else to say. The only thing he could think of was whether if that was the reason why she looked like she was thinking all the time and acting so weird lately?

"We made a promise before he left." Yuna said and smile remembering the time. "I was about to cry because he was going to leave for China. I remembered it well, we were at the park that evening. He told me to be brave, and not to cry. He made a promise saying he will be back as soon as he finishes training and I will have to take care of Tendoshi Judo Training Hall. This place is our home. We can't lose it. It may be old but we grew up in this house. Oniisan and I practically grew up in this Judo Hall. I promised him, that I will protect our home always. So I begin training myself in combat. It wasn't easy but I tried really hard. Not long later, ojiisan sent me to China too, but I didn't manage to meet Oniisan because we were at different training grounds. I was there for almost three years until Ojiisan called me back when, our judo hall got into trouble. Lately, there were many people coming here wanting to take over our hall. With Father not around now, Ojiisan couldn't be able to handle it. So I came home. And anyways I promised Oniisan I would protect this hall until he comes home."

Rukawa watched Yuna's sad face, slightly surprised that Yuna was telling him this. She never talked to more than two or three sentences to him before. Now Yuna was actually telling him her life story.

Yuna sighed, she hadn't talked that much before to anyone since Yuki left and she couldn't believe she was telling this to Rukawa of all people. He must have probably fallen asleep, by now. Yuna turned to him slightly and saw he looked startled. She smiled at him half surprised, her story didn't put him to sleep.

"You seemed surprised!" Yuna said after a short pause. "You must be thinking a tomboy like me can sure talk a lot."

"I didn't say that." Rukawa said quickly.

Yuna chuckled. "Surprisingly." She said turning away from him.

"Thanks for supper." Rukawa said remembering the fried noodles left on the kitchen table for him when he entered the house after practice.

"You're welcome." Yuna said.

"Yuna…"

"Nani?"

"Would you come to Ryonan match?"

Yuna turned back to Rukawa slightly taken aback. He had never asked her to come to any match before. She saw Rukawa slightly hopeful as he stared up the calligraphy. Even if he looked hopeful it was there for only an instant like it never happened at all.

"Of course, I'll come." Yuna smiled. "It's the most important match. Shohoku will win and go into the IH match. I'm sure of it."

Rukawa turned back to her then and saw Yuna's face filled with encouragement. Her expression was so different from all the girls in school. They had always looked at him with stars in their eyes and their cheeks flushed looking hopefully at him as if they want something from him which he had not a single clue what the hell they want from him. Now seeing the way Yuna was smiling at him, he couldn't help but smile back.

For the first time ever since Yuna met Rukawa she saw him smiled at her in return which took her breath away. She never knew Rukawa had such a wonderful smile and thought he should do that more often.