Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Slayers and their characters are not owned by me. They belong to Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi and any other companies which own them. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit and I promise to give them back all in perfect working order.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
“Hey Lina? Are we nearly there yet?”
Lina growled and I swear I saw a vein was about to burst on her forehead. “If you ask me that one more time, I will…I'll…harm you really badly!”
 
I blinked a little and decided to go back to looking at the scenery which already was boring me out of my mind. The sun was pretty low in the sky so already the surroundings were pretty dark. I wasn't really saying it to annoy her though. I was more worried about her getting tired. I could tell, with some of the sweat starting to form on her brow, and her slightly gritted teeth.
 
“Maybe we should just stop here. I feel kind of tired…”
“Tired!? How can you be tired when all you've done is lie there and ask me if we're nearly there yet? I'm not stopping until we get to where we said we were going to camp. Just keep quiet ok? You're making me lose concentration.”
 
Why did she have to be like that? She always has to make it seem like she can do everything herself and that she doesn't need anybodies help. If she kept this up, she was only going to wear herself out. I still remember her hair going all white when we fought Shabrakadabra. That was from using too much energy. What if she ended up using more than that? She would end up worse than me
 
I think it must have taken another thirty minutes or so until we got to where Lina wanted us to end up. I could hear the sound of the stream a few minutes before we stopped so I knew we weren't that far away. Lina was careful to set me down gently and once I was down, I could see the relief in her face. I thought she was going to collapse but she held herself together and then she started thinking about what to do next.
 
“Fire first…then I can get some water. There should be fish too.”
“Stop Lina.”
“No I have to get things done.”
“You're tired. I just want you to take a little time to rest.”
“I'll rest later when there is time for it. Right now I need to get a fire going.”
 
Lina then disappeared out of my view but I could hear her nearby. She was picking up small branches and sticks for the fire. Despite being able to hear her, not seeing her worried me a little. With the way I was strapped into the stretcher, there wasn't much movement. I guess that was the whole point but it just felt really annoying. It wasn't like I could even grab onto my sword and use it if I had to.
 
Lina dropped the sticks and branches nearby and lit them with a really small fireball. It was comforting seeing her again but I don't think she really noticed me. She was just too busy on getting things done. I could tell she was still tired but I had already given up on trying to make her rest. The fire was nice though and I felt a little warmer. Not moving at all kind of does that to you.
 
“Ok, I'm going to the stream. Just to fill up on some water and hopefully catch some fish.”
“Just be careful ok?”
 
Lina blinked and looked down at me. She must have seen the concern on my face because she smiled softly and nodded. She then turned away and headed off towards the stream, leaving me alone.
 
Normally I was alright with this. I would just poke at the fire and stare at the flames dancing about. I sometimes wondered if that's how Lina got her fascination with fire. I know she likes to blow a lot of things up with fire. In fact, she seems to get really excited. However, with the way I was now I couldn't do much except try and glance at it since my head wasn't in the best position.
 
I took up the next best thing and that was to look up at the night sky which was turning more from red to blue. I guess it would be purple in between then. I liked seeing all the stars appear one by one. Lina tried to explain to me that stars were like the sun, but I never understood. I mean the sun is yellow and round, whilst the stars are just dots. She gave up in the end.
 
I guess I was too busy looking at the stars because I didn't even notice Lina get back. It wasn't until she came right over and peered down at me. In her hand was a fishing line with a few fish hanging off the end.
 
“Look what I caught!” she said brightly.
“Wow Lina. That looks really great. I can't wait to eat.”
 
I hadn't even thought about my hunger until I saw those fish, and my stomach seemed to notice the fish too. It grumbled loudly in response and suddenly I found myself salivating at the thought. Lina pierced the fish with a few left over sticks and placed them over the fire to cook.
 
While we were waiting for the fish to cook, Lina sat down beside me and began prodding at my legs.
 
“Has any of the feeling come back at all?” She asked.
“No, not really. I keep trying to move them every now and again but they just don't want to do anything. So do you think Die Mast will send any more guys after us?”
“I don't know really. I'm not sure what Dynast has in store. I don't suppose he would back off for a bit to give us some more time.”
 
Yeah, I forgot to mention about that guy. Well things were pretty hectic so I didn't really have time to mention it before now. It wasn't that long after we got back from the continent we spent our previous adventure on fighting Darth Scar. We decided to just travel around and enjoy what there was to offer, and take down a few bandit camps here and there. Maybe even look for a new sword since the Sword of Light was sent back where it really belonged. I still miss it though, and even more so because of what happened since.
 
After we finished with a bandit camp, we were walking to the next town. Lina looked happy enough as the camp had one of the largest amounts of treasure ever seen before. She was even singing happily to herself which had me pretty shocked. It didn't last long though as a mazoku appeared and attacked us out of the blue. We managed to defeat it. I say we. I mean Lina really since without my Sword of Light I wasn't much use against the mazoku. I just tried to be an annoyance and give Lina enough time to do what she needed to do.
 
So when the mazoku was dying (and taking a long time doing it) it told us to expect more from Die Blast. Or is it Die Fast? The mazoku certainly didn't do that. Well ever since then, we barely got to travel from town to town without a mazoku attack. We hadn't found out why he was after us, and we still don't.
 
“Fish is done!” Lina exclaimed and my stomach grumbled in response.
“Oh great! They smell REALLY good.”
 
I was lucky that Lina hadn't tied my arms down with the rest of my body otherwise she would have had to feed me. One part of me wouldn't mind it, but the other felt it was just not right. Also Lina would probably just eat everything herself, and not even give me a chance.
 
I took the fish she handed me and was about to start eating when I noticed the way Lina was eating her fish.
 
“Why do you still eat them like that? It's gross! Didn't you learn from last time?”
“Look, I'll eat them my way, and you eat them yours.”
“But it's putting me off my food.”
“Well if you don't want it, I'll gladly take it!”
“Uhh. Actually I'll have mine anyway.”
 
I enjoyed the meal and was thankful of Lina for it. She was handling the situation pretty well and showing off a brave face. I just sometimes wish she thought about herself sometimes. Yes, I said that. No she's not so selfish all the time. Quite a few times when situations get serious, she will always forget about herself and look out for others.
 
“You should get some sleep Lina, you look tired.”
“I'm fine actually.” She lied as she yawned straight after. “Anyway, I need to keep watch. You don't know when the mazoku could strike.”
 
Within about 15 minutes, Lina had dozed off beside the fire. I smiled a little and I found my hand reached out to stroke her hair gently. I didn't feel tired at all. I mean why should I? It wasn't like I was doing any hard work! So I felt like I should keep watch, and I could always sleep when we travelled the next day. Ok, if anything were to happen, then I wouldn't be able to do much. But I could always get Lina's attention though, so that was my plan.
 
If only something did happen because for the next few hours, nothing happened at all. Occasionally when camping out, you might get a wandering animal that looks a little interested and then disappears. Or you might get some bandits trying to attack. This night, everyone and everything seemed to be busy.
 
I looked over to Lina who was asleep on her side. I was still stroking her hair as it kept me occupied. I could tell how fast her breathing was since her sides moved ever so slightly. I could tell from that she was sleeping even though she wasn't facing me. I also just started to notice she was getting cold. Since she was between the fire and me, the goose pimples on her skin showed up well. I took her cape from nearby and managed to use it to cover her up.
 
“I'm…sorry…Gourry…” Lina murmured.
“Lina?”