Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Slayers and their characters are not owned by me. They belong to Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi and any other companies which own them. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit and I promise to give them back all in perfect working order.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
“Hey Jellyfish! You want to wake up sometime today?”
 
I didn't even remember falling asleep. I just remember what Lina mumbled in her sleep and I wondered what it was she was sorry about. I couldn't just bring it up in the middle of a conversation though. I'd done stuff like that before and it just made things worse! I had to be more careful about it but I wasn't sure how.
 
“Mnngghh…morning Lina.”
“How can you be tired when you've done nothing?”
“Well someone had to keep watch last night” I smirked knowingly. Lina went a little red and looked away.
“Yeah…well. I knew nothing was going to happen anyway. My instincts are perfectly honed and I could tell we would be safe so I slept while I had the chance.”
“Any chance of breakfast?”
“Do I look like a housewife!?”
 
Well no, she doesn't look like a housewife. But she was up before me and I wasn't exactly going to whip up breakfast myself in this state. I guess I was pushing my luck a little though.
 
“Anyway, you can eat while we go. I've had my breakfast already but I want to get moving. It's going to take us a little longer to get to the next town.” Lina grumbled. I guess she was a little annoyed that I assumed she made breakfast for me.
 
She placed a few of the rations on my chest and it was only then I noticed that the camp was already packed away and Lina was ready to go. She must have sorted everything out before I woke up. I guess I was a little surprised to see that she had planned everything out already without telling me. Although by the time she had explained everything to me, it would probably be time to set up camp again. So she really had planned it all out! I think I just confused myself then.
 
Like the day before, Lina used the Levitation spell. See I remember things sometimes! She would walk behind me as she used the spell. I guess normally she would use it on herself but if she put her mind to it, she would be able to use it on other people. So why couldn't she do that with me instead of just carrying me like she used to. That was half of the reason why I was scared!
 
I was worried though because I'd never seen Lina use that spell for a long amount of time. The most I can remember would be for a few minutes. Now she was doing it for hours at a time. I was scared she would wear herself out or worse, harm herself. So I would make excuses to stop for a rest because I didn't want her to hurt herself.
 
“Ahh…can we stop Lina?”
“Why?”
“I think there is a branch sticking into my back. Can we just stop and break it off?”
“Oh I suppose so.”
 
Lina put me down and I could hear her breathe out quite sharply. Dammit Lina, stop being a hero. She knelt down beside me and took out a small dagger.
 
“Ok where about is it?”
“It's sticking into my back, just below my neck.”
“I can't see anything sticking out, are you sure it's there?”
“I dunno. I can't feel it anymore. Maybe it broke off just then.”
 
Lina eyed me warily as she put the dagger away and sat down next to me. She took a few generous gulps of water from the bottle before handing it to me. I just took a few sips and just did my best not to spill any of it elsewhere. I didn't do a good enough job because some of it went down my neck.
 
“Jeez Gourry, you're almost as bad as a baby!”
“Sorry! Just don't put me in one of those bibs ok?”
“I don't know. If you keep up, I might not have any other choice…”
 
We started off again and the rest of the day was like that, except for when we stopped for lunch. I didn't have to make an excuse since Lina made it. Actually it was her stomach that made it, but I wasn't going to complain. It gave time for Lina to rest.
 
By the time night came, we stopped again to set up camp. We were still by the stream which was lucky. In fact we followed the stream the entire time, and it would eventually lead us to the town.
 
“We should make it to the town tomorrow around midday.” Lina stated as she started up the fire. “Then we'll find a healer who will make you better!”
 
I just nodded a little as I looked up to the stars as they reappeared. Lina did the same as the previous night and again she fell asleep when she was meant to be on watch. I paid more attention to her this time, wondering if whatever it was she dreamed about last night would be dreamt again this night.
 
It took a couple of hours before there were any signs of her dreaming but it didn't look like she was in any distress. I just sighed and looked back to the stars with my fingers tangled up in her brown hair as it spread out messily on the ground.
 
“I don't know what you have to be sorry about Lina. If anyone should be sorry, then it should be me. Just look at what I'm putting you through.” I whispered to myself
“What are you talking about?” Lina mumbled as she sat up sleepily and rubbed her eyes.
“Uhh…nothing interesting.” I managed to stammer in reply.
“Oh really? I see…”
 
Lina shuffled her way next to me and started prodding at my legs again. I just shook my head as I felt absolutely nothing at all. I noticed her eyes darken slightly, and I was wondering what was bothering her.
 
“You mentioned about being sorry for something last night when you were sleeping.”
 
Well so much for bringing it into the conversation gently!
 
“Eh!? Sorry? I can't think of anything to be sorry about. It was probably some stupid dream. I might have been stealing your food and said sorry but I didn't really mean.”
 
Lina is an excellent liar, but when you've been around her for as long as I have, you can work out when she is lying. And no, I'm not going to tell you how I know.
 
“So what were you sorry about?” Lina added.
“What!?”
“I heard you. It was you mumbling to yourself that woke me up.”
“Oh…”
 
I didn't want to tell her but it was obvious she had heard what I said anyway. I could try to come up with something else but then she would know I was lying. Of course, with the way she was, she would push the point until I broke and gave in. Maybe I need to use that against her next time.
 
“I just feel bad that you have to carry me around everywhere. I can tell it's wearing you out, and I'm worried you're going to push yourself too hard. Also, I don't think this healer will be able to help me. That means I won't be able to protect you anymore. I'm stupid to think you're going to stay around because I know that's not what you want to do.”
“Stop being so stupid Gourry. This healer will sort everything out and we'll get back out and have fun as always.”
“But Lina…”
“Just don't think about it anymore. It'll be fine…”
 
Another lie…
 
 
We reached the town by the afternoon the next day and with some helpful directions we were soon at a healer.
 
“So yeah, he hit the tree pretty hard and I heard a crack. I thought it was the tree, but when I saw it was ok, I figured it must have been…” Lina trailed off.
 
“Ok then. I'll just do a few tests and then we'll see what we can do from there.” The healer replied. “If you could please wait outside, Miss?”
 
For a moment it looked like Lina wasn't going to leave. Her crossed arms and determined look definitely gave that impression. However just a smile and a nod from me seemed to be enough for Lina and so she left the room.
 
“I'm stuck like this aren't I?” I said bluntly.
“Well I just need to do some tests and make sure.”
“You're a healer. You've seen this before like I have on the battlefield. I'm not going to get better.”
 
The healer sighed, stroking his greying beard. I wish I knew the guy's name! He looked like he was in his late forties to early fifties. A few wrinkles and his hair colour seemed to give it away. He started moving my legs like Lina did, and asked me to try and push back. Nothing had changed from the past few days and so nothing happened. I was then moved on to my front and the healer began pressing certain points along my back and asked me if I felt anything. It was only about half way up that I started to feel anything.
 
“If I was there when the damage was done, then I probably would have been able to help. However, too much time has passed between when the injury occurred and now. Just like the Resurrection spell can't bring people back from the dead, it isn't capable of restoring the damaged parts of the spine. It's too complex. It's not like healing a cut or restoring blood loss.”
 
I didn't really understand much of what he was saying but I understood enough that he was telling me what I already knew. I wasn't going to get better.
 
“I can't help you, but there are cases of people known to regain limited mobility through exercise. For now, all I can do is repair the break so no further damage will occur.”
 
I guess despite knowing that I wasn't going to get better with a simple spell, I had a little hope that he might have been able to do something. There was still some hope but it still wasn't promising. I might never get back to the way I was, and even to get to that point would take quite a lot of time.
 
 
I must have fallen asleep during the time the healing was repairing my back because I found myself waking up in a strange room. The light coming through the window seemed too bright at first, but my eyes adjusted in time. I looked over to my side and noticed Lina in a chair nearby, asleep with a blanket half covering her.
 
I pushed myself up and was grateful that I could at least sit up and move my back without fearing any more damage. It was just weird not being able to move my legs, and it was tough getting used to the thought of never being able to use them again.
 
I looked to Lina again who seemed to be sleeping peacefully and I wondered how she would take the news if she hadn't heard it yet. Looking at her made me think of all the things she was able to do despite looking like she shouldn't be able to do those things. I thought about something she told me and when that was, I couldn't remember. It was about being able to put enough will into something, and then you could do anything.
 
I pulled the covers off myself and moved myself over the end of the bed where my legs slumped off the side. I reached out to the bedside table and used that to push myself up on my feet, but I was using my arms to keep myself. I then closed my eyes and thought hard about being able to use my legs.
 
“I will move my legs…I will move my legs…I will…”
“Gourry? What's wrong!?”
 
I let myself go and used everything I felt inside to move forward. Instead the only movement was the ground rising up to meet me. I hit the ground as my legs just gave way beneath me.
 
“GOURRY!” Lina shrieked as she ran to my side. The healer from before came hurtling through the door along with a young girl who must have been about 15. Lina and the healer helped me off the ground and brought me back to the bed.
 
“I don't know what you were thinking but you need time to rest.”
“When the hell is he going to get better?” Lina demanded.
“Lina…”
“What Gourry?”
“I'm not going to get better.”
“Well then when is he going to make you better?”
“He's not…”
“And why the hell not!?” Lina started glaring at the healer.
“He just can't, no one can. It was too late.”
“What?”
“Too much time has passed and so the nerves have died.” The healer butted in.
“I…I knew I took too much time.”
“Lina, it would have been impossible. He would have had to have been there.”
“This is all my fault. I'm sorry Gourry. I'm sorry…”
 
I looked to the healer and his young helper and they took that as a sign to take there leave. I then looked to Lina.
 
“I don't understand Lina. How could this be your fault? It was an accident.”
“NO! This is my fault! If I hadn't put myself in that position, you wouldn't have tried to protect me! I was in danger and you put yourself in that danger instead of me.”
 
Suddenly it all made sense, and something that seemed so fuzzy was now perfectly clear. We were battling with two mazoku sent by Dylast and it was pretty tough. Normally it had been one and we handled things pretty well so I guess he started to take us seriously. We were dealing with one each and I was just holding one guy off until Lina had dealt with the other one.
 
Only it didn't go to plan and Lina was in danger. If I did nothing, then Lina might not be here right now. I didn't think twice about pushing her out the way. Even if it meant I took the brunt of the blast. That must have knocked me out and sent me flying into the tree.
 
“I did promise that Lina. I'm not going to break my promise just so I don't get hurt.”
“Why do you have to be so stupid!? You should look out for yourself sometimes.”
“I could say the same for you. What do you think you've been doing to yourself for the past few days? I've been worried you would do yourself harm. I've never seen you use a spell like that for so long.”
 
We both sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. I guess neither of us knew what to say at that point. But after what seemed like forever, Lina broke the silence.
 
“So what now?”
 
It was strange to hear that from Lina. She was the one who always had a plan. I was the one who normally asked what we were going to do next. Even though a lot of the time even after asking I still didn't know what it was we were going to do.
 
“I don't know. The healer said there are cases where people get some movement back. I guess I'm going to try and get better and hopefully get my full movement back.”
“How long do you think that will take?”
“Months? Maybe even years…”
“Oh…”
 
I'm not sure but I think that was one of the first times I saw Lina speechless.
 
“You don't have to wait Lina. You can carry on travelling. I don't want to force you to stay. You should carry on doing what you love.”
“What are you talking about Gourry?”
“I think you should leave…”