Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Slayers and their characters are not owned by me. They belong to Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi and any other companies which own them. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit and I promise to give them back all in perfect working order.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
“Mr Gourry! Mr Gourry!”
“Morning Edward.” I replied with a smile.
“Will you please finish that story from last night? I really want to find out what happened!”
“Hmm. I suppose I could, but only if it's ok for me to have some breakfast at the same time. I'm starving!”
 
I guess it must have been about six months since the day I decided I was going to do my best and get better. It's been really hard and difficult, but I wasn't going to let that stop me. Things like that never stopped me before. When you think about it though, nothing is as difficult as waking Lina up and not suffering a fireball for it afterwards. So I thought I was well prepared for the difficult time I was going to go through.
 
I'm still not anywhere near what I used to be like, but at least I was managing to walk. I never thought I would be able to walk but that started to happen in the past month. I need to use a stick, but it's better than being stuck in that bed. I think a change of surroundings was one of the things that pushed me the most to try and start walking.
 
Once I started to walk, it was like my whole world opened up. I mostly spoke to Marina and the healer. I swear I still can't remember his name, and I don't think he minded so I never made the effort. Now I was meeting the townspeople and one of them who seemed to be really interested was a little boy named Edward, who must have been the age of nine.
 
I guess some stories about the adventures Lina and I had along with Zel and Amelia must have got around because the second Edward found out who I was, he never wanted to leave me alone. He was always bugging me about what we got up to, and wanted to find out everything. I tried telling him over and over, that I was probably the worst person to ask. I don't think he wanted to know, and just wanted to hear stories and so I started telling him a few from the best of my memory.
 
Now I can tell you right now, I'm not great at telling stories because you have to remember certain details. Often those details are the things I found no interest in and tended to forget about. Edward didn't seem to mind though and couldn't wait to hear more stories. He told me Lina was his favourite because she was really cool, being able to cast all those destructive spells. Despite Lina being his favourite, he told me that he wanted to be like me, and wanted to learn how to fight with a sword.
 
After speaking with his parents and making sure it would be ok, I decided to teach him a little after he finished school. I figured it wouldn't do him any harm and also it would help me a little. I could use some training and I thought it might be fun too. You try sitting in a bed for about 5 months straight. It's really dull!
 
I sat down at the table where Marina asked me what I wanted. I didn't ask for as much as I used to, but I guess I never worked up the hunger like I used to. What with travelling and fighting, plus dealing with Lina could be a little stressful if you happened to annoy her! Marina soon returned with a few plates I started to dig in the second it was set down in front of me, but I noticed Edward was eager for me to continue my story.
 
“So…where did I leave it off last night?” I asked just after finishing a good mouthful of egg.
“Lina got hurt really badly after saving Sylphiel!” He said excitedly.
“Oh yeah. That was really scary. For a moment, I thought Lina had died. But Sylphiel somehow knew she was still alive. However, things were really bad and if Lina didn't get any help, then she would die.”
“What happened!? What did you do?”
“Well, I didn't really do much. It was Sylphiel and Amelia who stopped the bleeding, but unless more was done, then she would…”
 
I know I didn't remember a lot, but that was one of the moments I would never forget.
 
“How did she do that? Rezo was attacking you guys all the time.”
“Well Zel cast some spell and they were in some sort of bubble. They flew away really quickly. I knew then that Lina would be ok, because she was in Sylphiel's hands. I knew she would make everything ok.”
“But what about you, Zel and Amelia?”
“Well to be honest, against that Rezo guy, we didn't have much of a chance. However, we knew we just had to do our best and hold him off until Lina got better.”
“That must be scary!”
“Well it is when you think about it, but in the heat of the moment, you have to try not to. If you let yourself get scared, then you end up freezing, and you get into real trouble.”
“So what did you guys end up doing when Lina was being healed.”
“Well I remembered one time Lina used a spell with the Sword of Light and it became really strong. Only I thought it was no use cause Lina was out of action.”
“Didn't you think Amelia and Zel could do anything?”
“Eh hehe…well I didn't realise it was just the same thing for them to cast a spell on the Sword of Light like Lina.”
“Jeez, Mr Gourry. I thought you having jellyfish for brains was a joke!”
“Hey now…”
“Sorry!” Edward laughed a little. I didn't really mind, I was used to it from Lina.
“Well anyway, that worked for a bit. Then Lina came back in the nick of time. She had this other sword that was part of the tree. It harmed Rezo some how, and so we all worked together and managed to defeat him.”
“Wow! Really!? That's amazing. That must have been really cool.”
“I don't know about that. I just know I was happy that everything was over and that people wouldn't be after us anymore.”
“Hey Edward. Isn't it time you go to school? You'll be late.” Marina said as she was taking away my empty plates.
“Huh!? Is that the time already! Oh no!” Edward grabbed his things and started to run out the door. “See you after school, Mr Gourry!”
“Bye Edward.” I replied, finishing off the last few scraps of bacon.
 
It was fun remembering the things I got up to with Lina. Some of the things were tough though. I'd avoided the story about Phibrizzo as I didn't like remembering that one, although there wasn't too much I remembered. I knew there was a lot I missed out on, and it wasn't like it was my fault I couldn't remember. Lina couldn't remember some of it either! Still, I didn't want to go over those events like a story from a book.
 
I did think though, that if Edward liked what I had to say, and I wasn't really good. Then maybe Lina could write some books about what we did. She would make them really exciting, and I'm sure she would make some money out of it. Although I'm sure she would just say she did everything herself and just say that Zel, Amelia and I would get in the way.
 
“I heard some stories about what you got up to, but I never realised how dangerous it all was.” Marina came back from taking the dishes away and sat down at the table with me.
“Yeah, I guess it's dangerous, but I never really thought about that. I just enjoyed being with Lina and going to all of these different places, getting to try all different foods.”
“I'd love to be able to visit different places and see what life is like elsewhere.”
“It is really good. I think it would be too dangerous for you.”
 
Marina just started giggling, and I wondered if I said something funny.
 
“What is it? Did I say something funny?”
“Oh, it's just you contradicted yourself.”
“I what? Is that a bad thing?”
 
Marina just started laughing again.
 
“No, it's ok Gourry. I appreciate your concern. If I were to travel, then I would be sure to go with someone who could protect me.”
“That's good to know, you need to be safe when travelling.”
 
We were quiet for a moment, and I wasn't really sure what to say, and Marina seemed to be thinking about something.
 
“You speak about Lina quite a lot. You really care about her don't you?” She said softly.
“Yeah, I do. I've spent some of the best years of my life with her.”
“Do you love her?”
“Huh!?” I spluttered in reply, nearly choking on some of the juice I had drunk.
“It's ok.” She giggled a little again. “You don't have to answer. I think I already know how you feel.”
“Oh…” I couldn't help but blush.
 
I found myself opening up a lot to Marina and Edward and I wasn't sure why. I think it was easy because I didn't really know them, and I knew inside that once I got better enough, I would be leaving and probably never see them again. I couldn't speak like this with Lina, Amelia or Zel. It was embarrassing in a way. Somehow we always ended up meeting and I knew how Lina and Amelia were over things like that. Lina would just avoid the subject, and Amelia would just take it overboard. And Zel. Well you know what he is like.
 
I spent the rest of the day walking around town. I used it as my exercise, so I could strengthen my legs. It was good to do, and I met a lot of familiar faces but never could remember their names. I still said hello to them in respect as I made my way slowly around, using the walking stick to aid me.
 
I often went to the outskirts of the town and sat underneath a tree which was just at the top of a small hill. I started to walk up it as extra exercise to push myself, but the main reason was I enjoyed the view from there. Some flowers were growing around the area. The main reason I enjoyed it was because it was something I often did with Lina. We'd take a break from all the walking and sit against a tree to relax. It was nice to just sit in silence. Often I just fell asleep but I enjoyed it every time. Sitting there and looking out just made me remember those times and how much I wanted to do that again.
 
I would stay there until school nearly finished and I would make my way back into the town and wait for when Edward got out so we could do some training.
 
“OWW!” Edward yelped as he stumbled to the ground and rubbed his head.
“You keep moving to the left. If you become too predictable then a good swordsman will learn from that.”
“But it's easier. I could move that way quicker.”
“Well then you have to work on moving the other way just as quick. You can't pick a favourite move. You have to use the right ones in the right situations. Again, if you have favourites, you just end up being predictable.”
“It's a lot to think about…”
 
I could see Edward getting a little downhearted. I knew how he felt as I felt myself going through the same things but when I was a little younger. I was teaching him the same things I was taught and it wasn't easy, but it was a good lesson to learn.
 
“It is a lot but you will get used to it, and soon enough it comes second nature. You just need to keep practicing over and over, every single day. Now attack again.”
“Ok…” Edward took his position and changed the grip on his makeshift sword which was just a stick of wood. “Hyaaaaahhhhh!”
 
He came at me with as much speed as he could, and then changed his direction. Then suddenly he changed it the other. I smiled a little, seeing he was learning a little. However he was concentrating too much on the direction he was going that his guard completely disappeared. I struck him on the side of the body with my walking stick. It was just enough to know he was hit and it would hurt but not too badly.
 
“Ahh!” He yelped again as he fell to the floor clutching his side.
“I think that's enough for you today.” I gave him my hand to help him up and he took it, just rubbing his side to try and get rid of the pain.
 
We headed back to the healer's where Marina greeted us with a really great looking meal. Edward ran ahead and sat down at the table. He tended to have a few more of his meals over here rather than at his home, but I guess his parents didn't mind too much. I think they were just glad he was getting involved with something as he was apparently a quiet child beforehand. At least that's what Marina had told me about him.
 
I soon joined them at the table and enjoyed the great meal Marina cooked up. She reminded me of Sylphiel quite a bit. She looked after me just as Sylphiel had done, and she made great food! I was sure Lina would enjoy it!
 
The time I was spending here was really good. But it didn't stop me thinking about wanting to be with Lina again. Despite the life being pretty good here, and everyone was really nice, it just wasn't the same as being out on the road with Lina. I didn't like the idea of leaving, but given the choice, I would go with Lina every single time. I just didn't know how I would be able to do it when the time came. That time was pretty far off though as I wasn't anywhere near fully fit. I would worry about that when the time came. For now, I was just going to enjoy this meal, and then take it one day at a time.