Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Slayers and their characters are not owned by me. They belong to Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi and any other companies which own them. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit and I promise to give them back all in perfect working order.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
“We're back!” Edward exclaimed as he ran towards Marina holding the basket full of medicines the healer needed.
“Welcome back Edward, and welcome back Gou…” Marina's bright face suddenly changed to one of slight surprise. “Is that Lina?”
“You wouldn't have believed our luck! Lina was working as a waitress at the inn we were staying at!” Edward said excitedly again, placing the basket on the table before running over to Lina and grabbing her arms, dragging her into the building as I followed her in.
“Hey kid! Easy on the arms…” Lina growled a little lowly as she was pulled by the excited boy.
“Yeah, if I were you, I would be pretty quick to let go.” I smiled and rubbed the back of my head.
“So what were you doing there Lina?” Marina asked.
“It's a long story. One I can explain over a good meal!” Lina grinned as she patted her empty belly.
“Yeah, I'm starving!” I added and quickly sat down at the table, Lina joining me as did Edward.
 
Marina then ran off into the kitchen to get a meal prepared and when she returned Lina began to explain pretty much everything she had mentioned to Edward and me the previous day. Marina listened closely, but there was something about her body language that seemed off. She seemed worried, or concerned about something, and the problem was with Lina.
 
I also noticed something similar with Lina, and she had something aggressive inside of her towards Marina. Lina can be aggressive but not if there is no reason to be, and Lina have barely met Marina, so why she would be angry with her was unknown to me.
 
Instead, I just tried to enjoy my meal and not really pay attention to the conversation, especially since I had listened to it already. I was much more interested in what was on Lina's plate that she hadn't been touching since she was busy chatting and trying to hold off the aggressive side in her. I quickly snatched a few things from her plate and Edward sniggered in response. I quickly put my finger on my lips, signalling Edward to keep quiet, but it was enough for Lina to take notice.
 
SMACK!
 
“AHH! Lina! What was that for?” I grumbled whilst rubbing my head, just glad she hit me with the blunt end of the knife.
“Don't act stupider than you already are Gourry. You stole food from my plate.”
“Well you didn't look interested in it, and I'm not letting good food go to waste.”
“It did go to waste cause it ended up in your stomach instead of mine.”
 
A quiet little laugh turned into a louder and one. Lina and I looked at the source and it was Edward who was laughing at the two of us bickering over food. We looked at each other and a slow grin formed on both of our faces. We then both quickly attacked Edward's plate of food, leaving him with not much left. The laughing quickly stopped.
 
“Hey that's not fair…”
“Well that's what you get for laughing and not for eating!” Lina and I replied in unison as we both sat back, enjoying the meal.
 
I glanced over to Marina again and she seemed occupied with something whilst Lina and Edward were bickering a little.
 
“What's wrong Marina?” I asked with concern.
“Oh! Um, it's nothing Gourry. I'm ok, I was just thinking.” She replied in surprise at first since I shook her out of whatever was on her mind.
“Ok…” I replied a little quietly.
 
Something inside me knew she was holding back from me, and a quick glance to Lina showed she knew something was up to.
 
“Hey guys, I think it's time I head home.” Edward said as he pulled away from the table.
“Sure thing. I'll take you home and make sure you're ok.” I smiled as I moved from the table.
 
I knew Edward would be able to handle himself now, but still I just wanted to make sure he was ok. But what I really felt inside was that Lina and Marina needed to sort something out and both of them needed to realise that they were both good people that I cared about. Something was forcing them apart and I wanted to stop that, and I thought leaving them alone would sort that out.
 
I walked with Edward towards his home as the sky was going dark. Edward seemed a little tired and I guess that was due to a couple of days of travelling. I knew it could get a little tiring, but I knew if he did it more often, he would get used to it.
 
“Marina is jealous of Lina. Don't you think Gourry?” Edward asked as we continued to walk.
“Hmm, you think so?”
“Yeah…and I think Lina is jealous of Marina as well.”
“How did you pick up on that?”
“I could tell with the way they were acting.”
 
I smiled a little at him. I guess he was picking up on the fact that Lina and Marina were holding back, although jealousy hadn't come across my mind. I suppose he was picking up the same things as I was because that was part of what I taught him. To be able to tell from a person's body language what they are doing. I didn't teach him about the jealousy part though. Just shows what a smart kid he was.
 
“Do you think you should be leaving those two alone with each other?” Edward added.
“I thought they would be able to sort out their differences and realise that they're both nice people.”
“Think about it Gourry. This is Lina you're talking about.”
 
Suddenly dread filled through my body.
 
“Good point. Are you ok by yourself?”
“I'll be fine, only a few minutes walk. You should be more worried about getting back to Lina and Marina before they tear each other apart!”
“Ok then! See you tomorrow!” I yelled as I started running back where we just came from, and I caught sight of him waving goodbye.
“See ya Gourry!”
 
I then started cursing at myself as I ran as fast as I could. I was worried about what Lina would be capable of, and that Marina wouldn't be able to handle herself. I tried to push the thoughts into the back of my head and just concentrated on running as fast as I could. Then as soon as I got back to the healer's, I opened the door violently and was going to prepare myself to split the two apart.
 
Only they weren't at each others throats and instead were pretty relaxed in their chairs drinking tea. It was actually me slamming the door in that surprised them both and they suddenly turned towards me.
 
“What's happened Gourry? Is Edward ok?” Marina asked, with a look of worry in her eyes.
“Uh…” That was the best I had, since I was a little breathless. “No, Edward is fine.”
“Then what's with the sudden entrance?” Lina joined in.
“Um…I felt like making a grand entrance?” I replied clumsily.
 
They both shook their head in response and I just laughed a little whilst rubbing the back of my head.
 
“I think I'm going to go and clean myself up.” I said to break up the following silence and went upstairs to do as I said.
 
The only thing was that as I started to run the cool water over my face, I could hear some voices grow louder from downstairs. I grabbed the towel and dabbed it over my face to dry off, only to hear the voices grow louder and louder. I sighed and threw the towel to the side and started to head back down silently when I could hear the voices more clearly.
 
“I'm surprised Gourry hasn't left you considering the amount of times you beat that poor man up. He has done nothing but care for you and protect you and the best you can do in response is to beat him half to death!” Marina yelled with an angry voice I hadn't heard before.
“Yeah? Well you've been around him for long enough to realise he comes up with some stupid stuff!” Lina bit back.
“Like that's an excuse!”
“He doesn't mind anyway. It's just us joking about, like when we fight over food. But don't you dare try to make yourself seem better than me. What the hell was with not giving him the letters I sent?”
“Well he asked you to leave for a reason. I thought any contact from you would only hinder his progress.”
“Stop lying! You did it on purpose just to keep Gourry for yourself! You think you can just make him forget about his friends like that?”
“I might be stupid and I might have been paralyzed but I'm not deaf…” I spoke lowly to stop the bickering.
“Gourry?” They both replied in unison.
“I can't believe you two are fighting like this. I left you two here alone because I wanted you guys to be friends. You've both helped me and I care about the both of you a lot. But if all you two are going to do is fight when you don't think I'm around, then maybe its better that I leave soon.”
 
Things were quiet for a moment, as I tried to calm myself down a little. I was just frustrated with what happened and so I thought I would try and do something to help.
 
“I'm going outside for some air, but I'm not going far, so I'll know if you two try to argue again…”
 
With that, I left the building again and just strolled over to a bench in the darkening streets of the town. I leant back into it and closed my eyes as my head fell backwards. I let out another sigh of frustration and then opened my eyes to be greeted by the first few stars of the night.
 
“Mind if I sit here?” Marina asked quietly.
“Sure…”
“I just wanted to say that I'm so…”
“Why did you hide those letters from me?”
“Well…you asked her to leave so; I thought you wouldn't want any contact.”
“How did you know that? I didn't tell you that I didn't want contact; I just wanted to be on my own. What if Lina was in trouble!? I wouldn't have known!”
“But there you wouldn't have been able to do anything.”
“It doesn't matter! I don't care. If Lina needed my help I would have found some way to be there!”
“You love her don't you…?”
“…yes.” I replied.
“Why did you never tell her?”
“I was worried about scaring her off. And I like what we have now. If I told her how I felt, then things would just get awkward. I don't want that.”
“So you would rather deny your feelings? Don't you want to take the risk and see if things get better?”
“I'm too scared of what might happen if things don't. Things are working well as they are, and I remember being told, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.”
“I just think you should tell her how you feel. It's not fair on you or her to keep it locked up inside. Anyway, I have things to do. I'll leave those letters in your room.”
“Ok…”
 
Marina then stood up and headed back to the healer's and went back inside. I sat forward and rested my head on my hand as I watched her the whole way.
 
“Why did you never tell me how you felt, kurage?”