Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Slayers and their characters are not owned by me. They belong to Hajime Kanzaka, Rui Araizumi and any other companies which own them. I'm just borrowing them for a little bit and I promise to give them back all in perfect working order.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
To say that I was surprised was kind of an understatement. When I heard Lina's voice, I looked around me quickly but I couldn't see her anywhere.
 
“Up here.”
 
I glanced up and noticed Lina floating above the roof of the house behind me and she was floating down to sit down beside me, looking at me with serious eyes.
 
“So? Answer me.”
“No Lina! Why were you spying on us?”
“Don't change the subj…”
“I'm not answering you. You were listening in on our conversation. It's not fair of you to just listen in like that without us knowing.”
 
I stood up from the bench, feeling pretty angry and was about to head back to the healer's when I felt Lina's gloved hand gripping onto my wrist, stopping me from going anywhere.
 
“I'm…I'm sorry Gourry. I was a little worried about what she might say and I wasn't going to have her talk bad about me behind my back.”
“Did you hear anything bad then?”
“No…”
“Well I hope you feel happy about yourself then.”
 
I tried to move off again, by tugging away from Lina's hand but she wasn't letting go.
 
“Dammit, Gourry! This is serious! We have to sort this out now before it gets out of hand.”
“Why? We've been fine with the way things are for so long now. Why should it have to change?”
“They don't have to! You seriously think everything would change because we finally admitted to something we knew was there anyway, but just didn't want to talk about it?”
“You mean?”
“Of course.” Lina blushed deeply. “Why do you think I stuck around and helped out with money? You should know me enough to know I don't do that kind of thing.”
“That's what I'm talking about. Already you've changed the way you normally act because of how you feel. What else is going to end up changing?”
“That's different. Some things are going to change whether we admit our feelings or we don't. I mean look at the way we are now compared to how we first met. A lot of things have already changed between us, but it's not as though things have got worse.”
 
I turned around slowly, and looked down at her with serious eyes. They were the same she gave me just before when she floated down. She looked back and was wondering what they were for.
 
“So?” She asked.
 
Her body language telling me she was already feeling uncomfortable. My response was to just step forward and wrap my arms around her slowly; my head moved down and nestled on top of her head so I could smell the scent of the shampoo she used to wash her hair. Lina turned rigid in my arms.
 
“G…Gourry? What do you think you're doing!?” She struggled to reply, like she couldn't breathe.
“I'm admitting my feelings for you.” I replied softly.
 
She squirmed free from my arms and glared up at me.
 
“Did you have to make it so damned public though!?” She growled through gritted teeth.
“How else am I supposed to admit me feelings? You want me to kiss you?”
“GYAHH! You could have just said, `Lina, I have feelings for you, and I love you.'”
“I guess you're right, Lina. Not everything is going to change.” I laughed and ruffled her hair.
 
Lina just grumbled in response, with her arms crossed and an evil glare at me. She then fixed her hair after I finished. She walked past me then, and I caught up to walk along side her.
 
“I care about you though, Lina. I really do.” I said quietly, saying the words a little like you would say what the weather was like.
“Yeah yeah. It's the same here.”
“You're supposed to say you care about me too.”
“I'm not saying that out loud!”
“It's not like anyone would be able to hear you, unlike now as you're yelling.”
“Shove it!”
 
Lina then pushed me hard and I found myself stumbling, almost collapsing to the ground. I gained my footing first though and quickly turned to Lina and smirked.
 
“You're so gonna get it now!”
 
I then started chasing after Lina as she giggled and quickly took off using her flying spell.
 
“Hey, that's cheating. You know I can't use magic!”
“Who said using magic was cheating? I don't remember reading it in the rules.”
“I didn't know there were rules.”
“Exactly!”
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
 
I pretty much failed in chasing after Lina and so headed back to the healer's and decided to get some sleep. Although I heard Lina coming back soon after I returned and I was pretty sure she went to Marina's room. I wasn't sure though because I couldn't hear any yelling. I guess that meant they were over fighting, and maybe they were settling their differences.
 
I was more interested in the small pile of letters on my bed as I sat down beside them. I picked up a bunch and they were all written with Lina's hand writing. I opened the first letter and began reading.
 
Hi Gourry,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm doing OK. I've been taking care of a few bandit groups near Seyruun and it's been pretty good for relieving some pent up stress. It's not really the same without you around though. I guess you could say I miss you. How silly is that? I just hope you find it in yourself to get better soon, and when you do, I want you to write me so I can visit. If you'll see me anyway…
 
You know, it's not as though I'm in some nearby town so that's why you need to let me know. It's probably best if you send it to Amelia because she'll be able to get it to me. I did tell Amelia and she was determined to visit you but I managed to hold her off. She sent a letter instead so I'm sure you'll get that soon.
 
Just get yourself better ok Gourry? I understand that you wanted to be alone, but I didn't want to leave you. You can be pretty selfish sometimes, making yourself seem like the nice person by wanting to do good for others just so you look good yourself! Think about yourself once in a while Gourry, you need to be able to care for yourself because if you're not careful enough, you won't be around to care for other people anymore.
 
Miss you.
Lina
 
I sighed slightly as I folded the letter and put it back in the envelope. I smiled as I thought about Lina calling me selfish for wanting to help others. It was funny to read that she went to Seyruun, knowing she was lying to make it seem like she left and continued to travel like I asked her to. Although the whole part where she said it wasn't like she was in a nearby town seemed a little obvious. I probably would have been oblivious to the statement if I hadn't already known the situation.
 
I looked through the letters again and found the one written by Amelia. I held it and wondered if I should open it. I was slightly scared I would be blown away by some force of justice. I shook it off and opened the letter, then read it.
 
Dear Mr Gourry
It's with great sadness to hear you have been stricken down in your prime. Evil will go to great lengths to bring down valiant souls who wish to do good in this world. You should know that as long as you have justice in your heart, then you will sure overcome this adversity.
 
Ms Lina mentioned that you wish to be alone but I believe she is lying and that you need someone of my expertise to help you in this difficult time. If not my healing abilities then my strength of motivation will find you on the road to recovery in no time. Just let me know and I'll be there in no time at all to help you so you'll be fighting against the injustices of the world.
 
Yours truly,
Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun
 
P.S. You remember me right?
 
I laughed a little as I folded the letter away and placed it back with the other letters. I lay back onto the bed and was glad to know that I had good friends who were willing to help me out when things seemed pretty tough but were good enough to back off when I asked them to. I guess that meant I would have to visit Amelia some time soon and thank her.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
The next day Edward had joined us for breakfast and seemed pretty pleased that the building was in one piece and that neither Lina nor Marina looked as though they were suffering from a fight.
 
The previous night, after I failed in chasing Lina down since she was cheating, she went to see Marina and I didn't hear much. I guess that meant they weren't fighting and if anything, they probably sorted out their differences because they were pretty friendly this morning.
 
I was fighting with Lina over breakfast as usual. I think we were pretty even, I stole quite a few slices of toast from her plate, but she took some strips of bacon in retaliation.
 
“So you guys are probably going to set off soon right.” Edward said as he finished his last slice of toast.
“Yeah. We were thinking of leaving tomorrow actually.” Lina replied
“Well just so you know. Any plans you have for tonight you have to scrap?”
“Oh really? And why are we supposed to do that?” I asked.
“It's a surprise!”
 
I looked at Lina and she returned the look and we both gave a slight smile. I nodded a little towards Edward.
 
“Ok then, we'll make sure that we won't be doing anything tonight.”
 
I glanced to Marina who seemed to smile a little knowing before hiding something out of view in the corner of the room. I pretended to ignore it and figured it must have been something to do with the surprise for later.
 
“Right then! I think it's time I get a little training in. Right Lina?” I yawned with a stretch, leaning back into my chair.
“Huh?” Lina blinked in reply.
“I'm sure there are a few bandits around that need clearing out.”
 
Lina picked up hearing the word bandits.
 
“Sure! Time's a wastin'! Let's get going then.”
 
Lina shot up from her chair and marched out of the door and I followed her not too far behind giving a wave to Edward and Marina.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
I glared down at the two bandits facing me as a loud explosion set off behind me moments after Lina had yelled fireball. The two obviously looked scared after I had disarmed most of their buddies and Lina was pretty much destroying everything. I had to admit though, that they were standing their ground despite their fear.
 
“Why don't you guys just run off before I have to hurt you?” I stated with a low voice.
“We're not just gonna leave our treasure to be stolen by you guys!” One replied defiantly.
“Oh but it was ok for you guys to steal it from someone else? That doesn't sound fair!”
 
I suddenly charged forward, raising my sword to attack. Both suddenly raised their swords in defensive manner and I smirked as they fell for it. Suddenly with a sharp thrust from my leg into the ground, and my direction had changed instantly. Suddenly I was swinging around and instead of attacking downwards; I was striking from the side.
 
They had no chance to change their defensive position and I struck the first guy hard with the hilt of my sword into the side of his ribs. The air gushed out of his lungs and he dropped his sword to the ground as he fell to his knees, gasping for air.
 
The second guy obviously a little panicked, tried to quickly change his defensive stance but using the momentum from the spinning attack, I struck out at him with a booted foot. My foot hit him hard across the chin and his head snapped back sharply and his body soon followed. He then hit the ground and was knocked out cold.
 
“Yikes Gourry, are you trying to make up for lost time?”
“I guess so. I just wanted to get back into the swing of things.”
“You took out over half of them! I barely had a chance for myself.”
“Well what do you expect when you slack off like that?”
“Slack off!? You never gave me a chance to begin with!”
“You snooze, you loose!”
“I'll make you snooze!” Lina growled as she clenched a fist.
“Hey, we better get back soon. Edward and Marina have that surprise.”
“Oh yeah, hey wait! Don't change the subject!”
“What subject?”
 
I started running off back towards the town and Lina started chasing me after grabbing a good stash of the treasure the bandits were holding on to.
 
Once we got back, and Lina had forgotten about the bandit situation and seemingly pleased with the treasures she gained, we went back to the healer's to find out what it was Edward and Marina had planned. We both stepped through the door and were surprised when everything was dark since night had fallen.
 
“Is anybody home?” I questioned into the darkness and not getting a reply. “A little light Lina?”
“Sure.”
 
She then cast a lighting spell and let it float into the air. The moment she did so, the whole place was illuminated bright and there behind the table were Marina and Edward.
 
“SURPRISE!” They yelled in unison.
 
I jumped back a little in shock and suddenly noticed the large cake on the table and a couple of presents on the table wrapped up in brown paper.
 
“Open your presents Gourry! Hurry!” Edward jumped up and down excitedly.
“Ok!” I replied feeling the excitement catching.
 
I opened the two presents quickly and was slightly shocked at what I saw. They were small framed pictures of Edward and Marina.
 
“It's so you don't forget about us.” Marina spoke softly with a small smile on her face.
“Thanks guys, I really like them. But you realise I won't forget about you.”
 
I stepped forward and hugged the both of them at the same time.
 
“Let's eat the cake!” Edward shouted.
“Great!” I responded and quickly pounced on the cake.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
Later that night, I went back to my room as the others were enjoying themselves. Lina and Marina were sharing stories and Edward sounded like he was enjoying Lina's events more than mine. She always made them more dramatic than me. I figured she would be a good storyteller!
 
I guess in the end I was just a little sad that I would be leaving since Edward and Marina had spent a lot of time looking after me, and being there for so long made it all the more tougher to leave. I stared at the pictures and was grateful that I was given something to remind me of them, even though I would be sure to never forget them.
 
Soon there was a knock on the door and in stepped Lina. She closed the door behind her and then sat down on the bed beside me.
 
“You ok, Gourry?”
“Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I just realised I'm really going to miss them.”
“Remember I said we can always come back sometime.”
“I know, but it's just leaving is going to be tough after being here for so long.”
“You care about them a lot, don't you?”
“I do. They took care of me and helped me when I was feeling down.”
 
Lina placed her hand gently on my knee and smiled at me softly. I looked back to her and found myself getting lost in her ruby red eyes.
 
“I know I'll be ok with you by my side though.”
 
Finding it difficult to resist, I leaned my head down slowly towards Lina's. I was suddenly nervous but I felt like it was something I needed to do. Lina also seemed to realise and rather than pull away, she simply closed her eyes and stayed there. In moments, our lips touched and I quickly wrapped my arms around her, holding her body close to mine. The soft gentle kiss was sweet, and seemed to last an eternity.
 
However eternity wasn't long enough and we slowly pulled apart. Lina looked up and licked her lips with a playful smile.
 
“That was nice.” She said softly.
“It was…” I replied, still in the moment of the kiss and a little out of it.
 
Lina laughed a little in reply before sitting up from the bed.
 
“You should get some rest since we're going tomorrow.”
“Ok then, night Lina.”
“Night Gourry.”
 
Lina then left the room, and I was left in the darkness, replaying the moments of that kiss over and over again in my head.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
The next morning I enjoyed what I hoped wouldn't be my last breakfast made by Marina. Then once we finished, I got my things together and was ready to make my farewells with Marina and Edward.
 
“You take care now Gourry. And don't be a stranger ok? You need to check up on my sword fighting.” Edward said, obviously looking a little sad that I was leaving.
“I'll be careful, don't you worry. And of course we'll be back. Don't forget you can start travelling yourself maybe. We might cross paths some time.”
 
I then hugged Edward tightly before moving onto Marina.
 
“Edward is right. You should really take care of yourself. Don't want you getting hurt again?”
“Thanks for taking care of me Marina. I probably would be standing here right now if it wasn't for you pushing me from the beginning. I owe you.”
 
I then hugged Marina and she returned it just as much.
 
Once finished, we began to head off and as we did, we waved Edward and Marina goodbye. They did the same in return, and before long they were out of sight. I sighed a little and looked forward, walking beside Lina.
 
“You know Gourry. I have a feeling we'll see them sometime soon.”
“I think so too.”