Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Chimera ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was always calming to watch the wildlife in the early morning. To see squirrels grope the cedar flesh of the forest maidens, their branches extending to unseen lovers, was awe-inspiring. The forest maidens, or trees to the uninspired, were beset with varying shades of green upon their skyward crowns. Some of them even had flowers growing up in twisted patterns on the bottom of their trunks. I blinked my eyes for a moment then drew out my sword.

I wanted to be strong and I wanted to be fast just like my father had once been. I did not know how much about my father because he left to slay a dragon many years ago. My mother still waits for him, even though the villagers tell her to forget about him and start over. We don't need a new life. We have support and lots of it. We even have support from my grandfather, the Great Red Priest, Rezo.

I know this may sound cold, but I've never really trusted my grandfather. He never came around when I was younger and when he did come around, it was only for a few minutes. My mother always asked about my father for Rezo traveled extensively, performing great feats of magic in order to heal numerous people. He was like a saint to those people, but there was always something about him that I didn't like...

Rezo never brought any words of hope with him so I eventually decided that I would go off in search of my father and bring him home if he was still alive. For that trek I had to be strong. I had started training about a month ago and I had begged my mother to give me difficult chores. She consented and soon I was traveling country roads in search of mushrooms and herbs.

This particular morning, however, I became aware that I was not alone. I was swinging my sword, trying to concentrate on my form when I heard the familiar jingling of my grandfather's staff. I glanced up and he stood watching me with those sightless eyes. I don't know how a blind man can see, but Rezo seemed to be able to. I don't even know how long he had been there. He could have been standing there for a good five minutes before he decided to announce his presence. I took another swing at an imaginary enemy as he continued to watch.

"Mother's at the house, sir," I said and he smiled slightly.

"I have no news for her, my boy. Sadly, no one seems to know where your father is. He was a great swordsman, wasn't he. I do believe, though, that your dear mother is just going to have to accept the fact that he's not coming back. She may have to wait until she is with the gods before she sees him again," he said in his soft spoken voice.

"I'm going to find the truth out for myself. I'm going to be strong."

"My dear Zelgadis, do you really want to be strong?"

"I want to do everything I can to find my father."

"I see. Perhaps I can help you but I should speak with your mother first."

I watched him walk off and blinked my eyes. Perhaps I had misjudged my grandfather. Perhaps his intentions were good but there was still that feeling of doubt clinging to the back of my mind much like the way a barnacle clings to the bottom of a sunken ship. Why did he want to help me and what did he expect in return? Those questions bothered me as I continued to swing my sword.

It was half an hour later, judging by the position of the sun, when my grandfather returned. He seemed awfully pleased and I wasn't entirely sure if that was a good thing.

"I have spoken with your mother, dear Zelgadis and it has been agreed upon. You will become my apprentice and learn magical arts to aide in your quest for your father," Rezo said and I looked at him.

"Will that make me stronger?" I asked and Rezo smiled slightly.

"Indeed it shall. Now let's go back to my dwelling."

"We're leaving now?"

"Why of course. Is there...a problem with that?"

"I would at least like to say goodbye to my mother."

"By all means. I have assured her that no harm will come to you."

I sheathed my sword and ran home. My mother stood at the doorway...waiting. I embraced her, letting her long hair fall over my arms for one last time.

"Rezo has promised me that you'll be well taken care of," she whispered. "Please be careful, Zelgadis and visit me when you're done."

"I will, mother."

I let go of her and walked off, without looking back. I didn't want to because I knew she would be crying. Rezo glanced up when I returned and he smiled sightlessly at me.

"How is she? She seemed a bit upset when I left her. I did tell her not to worry," he said and I nodded my head.

"It's because she'll be alone, now. She's afraid that I won't come back."

"I understand her feelings, dear Zelgadis. But, we won't make her worry."

I blinked my eyes and home vanished. Rezo was definitely a strong sorcerer. We currently stood in his domicile which was not as exquisite as I thought it would be. But, I suppose that could be attributed to his blindness. He glanced at me as if sensing my surveillance of the decor and nodded his head.

"Sort of avant garde, don't you think?" he asked then turned aside. "Come, allow me to show you to your room. There you can change and clean up before we eat. I will expect you in the dining room in half an hour."

We parted ways once I had been directed to my room and I entered it. It was small, but for some reason, I hadn't expected anything else. Rezo was a bit eccentric, I had been told and he also had a strange sense of humor. My room was plain, with a small bed in the corner and a mirror hanging on the wall. There was nothing else except a stool, small and made of cold stone. Marble. Well, that was nice, I suppose. It sort of offsets the feeling of this room. I don't know how to explain it, but there's a certain air that I just don't like. Perhaps I am being rash in judging my grandfather by his taste in decoration but there seems to be more to him than most people are willing to see. I opened the small closet door and took out a tan outfit. It was what I was expected to wear, I guessed and changed into it.

Shortly after my exploration of my small room, I joined Rezo in the dining room. He sat at the end of a long table illuminated with a few candelabras. I took the seat at the opposite end of the table and he smiled genially.

"You don't have to sit so far away, dear Zelgadis," He said as he leaned forward slightly. "Now, what would you like to eat?"

"It doesn't really matter," I replied and he leaned back in his chair to think.

"Well then, how about some quail with some fresh leeks?"

"That sounds okay."

"I'll even add a spring green salad. Do you prefer ale or beer, my friend?"

"Actually, I don't drink. It was forbidden at my house."

"Ah yes. I had forgotten. Then which one would you like to try?"

"Ale, I suppose."

"Then we shall both have some ale. Watch closely, Zelgadis. This is an easy spell to say but it takes finesse."

I watched him quietly speak a magical phrase then waved his hand. With a soft glow, a large spread of food appeared on the table. My eyes grew wide as I gazed at the large selection. How was he able to do that? Of course, he was Rezo, the Red Priest. He was a master sorcerer in all the arts but why was he so obsessed with his eyes? I could see the desire to see by one's own eyes but why try to do the impossible?

"Is something wrong, dear Zelgadis?" Rezo asked and I picked up a fork.

"No, nothing is wrong. I'm just trying to adjust, I guess. This is good. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, once we're finished, we're going to start on your training. I have to keep my promise to make you stronger, don't I?"

That question, I knew, was rhetorical. He didn't want my response to the question because he already knew what my response was. What I didn't like was the feeling I got when he said stronger. For some reason, I got a chill, the kind of chill one gets when the hands of the dead are wrapped around the neck and I couldn't explain why. I could not find any foundation for my fear. Rezo was a great man, he had done many great deeds. I know more about my grandfather. Perhaps more than most people because my mother really did love and trust him. Well, she was not completely trusting because early on in their relationship, she had sensed that Rezo did not like my father. He would never say anything about his disapproval publicly, but there was always a certain air about Rezo whenever my father was around...I suppose that's partially why I don't completely trust my grandfather. It is possible that he did something to my father. He is a master sorcerer, after all and who in their right mind would accuse Rezo of such an act? No one which means, if he did do something terrible to my father...no one would ever find out.

"Something is troubling you again, isn't it, my friend?" Rezo asked and I glanced up.

"I was just thinking about my father," I replied and Rezo rose from his seat.

"Perhaps we should start the training now. I believe you would be best suited for the field of shamanism. Follow me to my library. It will be your study room. I may not have a lot of resources, but you are welcome to read all you can."

He waved a hand and the meal disappeared. I'm glad that I ate a little because I don't know how this apprenticeship would work out. Yes, he is my grandfather, but he seems to get self-absorbed at times. I can understand why, I suppose. His desire for sight has consumed him almost entirely. I followed him from the dining room and down a long hallway. A few tapestries hung on the wall and some statues gazed out from small alcoves carved into the wall in-between the tapestries. They seemed to all be statues of Rezo. A modest man my grandfather isn't, it seems. But I suppose it also comes from the fact that he lives alone. I think I'm his first apprentice because I've never seen anyone else around him. Of course, he may not be inclined to take his apprentices with him when he visits family.

"Here is the library. You will be spending a considerable amount of time here," Rezo said as he opened the door.

"I don't think I've ever seen so many books in one place before," I commented as I gazed at the library. There were books upon books in what seemed to be an endless sea of shelves and I knew that there were countless spells in the ancient tomes that claimed residency upon those dusty shelves.

"Are you a bit overwhelmed, my friend?"

"Yes I am. I don't know where to begin."

"Then let me pick out a few for you to start reading. Then I need to take care of some personal matters. I trust that you will be fine on your own?"

"Yes. Yes, I'll be fine."

"Good. Here are some books and I will see you later."

I took the books that he had laid on a table and sat down in a large arm chair. I knew a little about spell casting from my mother, since she was Rezo's descendant but I didn't know anything advanced. Now I held in my hand treasures upon treasures of spells and I didn't know if I had enough time to practice them all.

Some hours and quite a few books later, Rezo returned. I gazed up at him and then went back to the spell I was reading. I knew he was watching me but I didn't greet him. I was too interested in what I was reading. There was so much here. It was so amazing to hold in my hands the magic books that Rezo had. Among sorcerers, his library is renowned. My mother told me about Rezo's library when I was younger. Since he was her grandfather, she had learned some basic white magic in his amazing library. She had taught me healing spells, which were necessary to know because of where we lived. We lived some miles away from the village. My father liked the village, but he wanted to be a short distance away from it. I think that had something to do with Rezo's involvement in the village. He didn't exactly start the village, but relatives of some of the people he performed miracles on, did. There was a fountain in the center of the village that was made to remember the deeds that he had performed and my father didn't care for the constant reminder of Rezo. That made sense, because he and Rezo never did get along, although they did not see each other often.

"You've been through all these?" Rezo inquired and I nodded my head.

"Yes I have," I replied.

"Can you perform the spells?"

"Yes I can."

"All right then," Rezo said as he picked up a book. "Let me see you perform this one. Substance separation. Use that stone as your object."

I stood up and closed my eyes. With my arms pointing towards the stone, I began to chant the words: "By the power that I hold in my hands, I command you to become what you once were before life brought you together. Separate and become your own identity."

The rock shifted under my gaze then collapsed. I blinked my eyes then glanced at Rezo.

"I must have done something wrong. I'm sorry," I said and Rezo shook his head.

"I implore you to look closer, dear Zelgadis. The rock was turned to dust and water, which is essentially the contents of that stone. I applaud you, Zelgadis. You learn quickly but I'm sure that has to do with your mother's blood inside you."

"You always seem so busy. How did you have time to start a family?"

"Zelgadis, part of the reason why I want to cure my blindness is to see what you all truly look like. To see what the rest of you see. I didn't need to see what Elisa looked like. I knew I loved her just by her presence. I only wish that I had found a cure for this accursed darkness before she died."

He fell silent and I watched him for a moment then picked up the book I had been reading. I wish I could understand his feelings, but I couldn't. I've never been without sight. I've never had to go through life in complete darkness. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like he's experiences his entire life, however long that may be. He turned around and walked out of the library. I stared at the closed door for a moment then continued reading. I had no idea what would come next, but I was glad that I was learning. I flipped to the last page in the book and looked at the number. Five-hundred and fifty. By the time I got there it would be well past midnight. Hopefully Rezo would be sleeping because I wanted to explore his tower on my own. Maybe I would find out about the whereabouts of my father.

Several hours later when I was sure my grandfather would be sleeping, I left my room to explore. The halls seemed darker than normal in the night's light and I walked down a staircase that I had missed earlier in the day. It was a long winding staircase made of marble and it reminded me of the stories about dungeons that my father would tell to me to make me behave. There was extremely little light as I descended down the staircase and I soon found myself squinting to see the next step. Carelessness could very easily kill me and I doubt anyone would ever know about my mishap. Especially my mother.

"If only I could find a clue," I said to myself as I cast a small light spell.

Why would Rezo need such a large home anyway? If his tower could be called a home. It looked more like what was left after a long battle. The tower hadn't been fixed in ages and I was mildly surprised that the stairs were still stable. I just hoped that the floor at the end of the stairs was still there. My light spell dimmed then brightened with my nervousness and I forced myself to concentrate. I don't know how long it took me to reach bottom but I was exhausted when my feet rested on the cracked flooring of what I assumed to be the basement.

Something moved and I willed the light in my hand to become stronger. Odd, rat-like creatures scampered into their holes when my light touched them. They looked like dragon rats, for the lack of a better description. Rat like in head and body with green skin and pointed plates running down their spines.

"Are you some of Rezo's creations?" I asked and the last one scampered into its hole. "If you are, I'm sure you don't want to talk about it. My grandfather is very odd. My father told me to be wary of him. I just wish I knew what happened to my father. I've got to be strong and find him for my mother."

The creature did not answer but I did not expect it to. It was one of those questions that did not need an answer. I continued forward on my exploration of my grandfather's residence. I really did not like the idea of climbing that enormous flight of stairs again. There had to be a simpler way back up. But Rezo was just as cunning as he was odd and the way back up could be anywhere, even in the most obvious place.

A dim light shone from some crack in the wall and I walked over to examine it. There seemed to be a groove hidden in the wall. Perhaps it was a secret passage? I had heard of such things, but I had been under the impression that only thieves used secret passages. But now, now I was not so sure. Even geniuses had a tendency to be insane and there was nothing to prove that my grandfather was not a few bricks short of a full load.

"Well how do you like the basement, my friend?" Rezo asked and I glanced up. Where had he come from? The rings on his staff jingled as he stepped forward. I don't know why, but I felt a large sting of guilt on my conscience. I felt as though I had been taking advantage of the blind man, which was insane for Rezo could see better than any man that had the capability of sight.

"It's nice," I replied, knowing that the response was quite lame. I couldn't think of anything to say and I knew he wanted an explanation as to why I was down there.

"Are you curious about what's kept down here?"

"Yes."

There was truth in what I said. I was extremely curious about him, but I didn't want to tell him the basis of my curiosity. The more I spent time with him, the more I was sure that he knew where my father was. I couldn't explain it, but there was a sixth sense perhaps? Yes, a sixth sense that told me there was more to Rezo than met the eye. He watched me with his silent eyes for a moment then turned and pointed to a hallway.

"Let's start the exploration there, shall we?" he asked and began walking. I followed him, not entirely sure what he was up to. Like I've said before, I didn't completely trust my grandfather and I didn't know whether or not he could sense my distrust.

"What is down this way?" I asked and he glanced at me.

"So many questions, my friend. Can't you just accept things as they are?"

"I'm afraid my father didn't teach me that way."

His facial expression changed slightly when I mentioned my father and I wondered if my assumptions had been correct. There was definitely something about my father that Rezo did not want to think about and every time I mentioned him, that unwanted image or memory was conjured up.

"I think you need to practice your skills some more," Rezo said abruptly. "Learning from books is fine, but actual practice is a completely different thing. In here please."

I stepped into a room and jumped slightly as the door slammed shut behind me. I stood in what seemed to be an arena and I glanced around, my eyes slowly adjusting to what little light there was in the room. I was alone, or so I thought, for there was a presence in the room with me even though I could not see it. A rumbling came from the ground and I turned around to witness a creature being formed from the dirt itself. A golem. A creature made by magic and dirt. Rezo had obviously made it to test me and I swore not to disappoint him. I had come here to learn magic in order to find the location of my father and that was exactly what I was going to accomplish.

I hadn't learned all the spells there were, obviously but I tried my luck at a more advanced spell. It wasn't the most advanced spell out there, but I wanted to see if I could do any more than simple parlor tricks.

"Stooone Spiker!" I cried and brought my hand sharply down to the ground. The ground broke apart from where my hand made contact and numerous spikes arose from it like a large hungry beast ascending from its lair but it made no mark on the golem. Idiot, I told myself. Golems are made out of stone so a earth attack such as that one would not affect them. The golem swung at me and made contact. I skidded across the arena floor and arose in extreme pain. Had I not been chiding myself for my spell casting mistake, I would have surely dodged that.

"My, my, dear Zelgadis. Are you going to let a mere golem defeat you?" Rezo asked and I glanced in his direction.

"I may be strong, Rezo but a golem has a hard hide. I can't defeat him with my sword," I replied.

"His skin is his defense mechanism. You've got to use magic or a sword of light. Brute strength won't defeat him."

"I'm fully aware about that. I just need to find the right spell."

"You need to hurry up, my friend. Otherwise my golem will hammer you into the ground."

I couldn't tell which one of us he favored. With Rezo, it was always hard to tell what his true feelings were. I felt the ground vibrate behind me and spun around. Another golem. Did my grandfather want to kill me? I dodged the second golem's attack just barely but I still had the first golem to account for and I'm afraid that I miscalculated. The first golem struck me square in the chest and I fell to the ground in extreme pain. I raised my eyes up to glance at my grandfather then...then everything went black.

When I awoke, I was in bed. I was in the bed in the room that I had been given. How long I had been there, I don't know but my whole body ached.

"Do you see, dear Zelgadis?" Rezo asked and I glanced up at him. "You may be a master with the sword but you aren't as strong as you think you are."

"Then how do I become stronger? I want to do this for my father," I replied and Rezo smiled slightly.

"Rest right now, young one. I will take this matter to thought. I shall return soon with a decision."

He left the room silently and I lay there, gazing up at the ceiling. It was a plain and uninteresting, as ceilings go, but one shouldn't take too much stock in what I say about ceilings. I'm not an expert and I really didn't pay that much attention to my ceiling at home. Currently, it was all I could look at. My body ached too much to move. I was even unable to cast a healing spell and I wondered if I had done exactly what Rezo had expected me to do. Granted, that I couldn't prove or disprove anything Rezo did, but I somehow got the feeling that my injury was a part of his plan. Exactly what plan, I had no idea, but the entire thing seemed strange.

First off, why had he approached me when he did? He had come for a visit over a month ago and it was entirely too soon for another one. Second, why was he so interested in what I was doing and exactly why did he want to help me? He had never wanted to before. I can remember the times of my early childhood when Rezo was around more frequently. I would fall down and he would gaze at me with those unseeing eyes in distaste.

"Pick yourself up," he would say. "You have no right to be clumsy."

Actually, now that I think about it, I dreaded when my grandfather came to visit. I think early on, I knew there was something not right about him. I can't describe it, but I suppose it's the same way animals can sense whether a person is good or evil. Dogs especially. Dogs seem to be able to smell the personality of a person. Our neighbors used to have a dog. Well, our closest neighbors did and they lived about two miles away but whenever I was over there doing some errands for my mother and Rezo came to visit, their dog would start growling and he wouldn't stop until Rezo left. It frightened me the first time and I thought he was going to tear my arm off but when it happened again...I became suspicious.

I found out that he would only growl like that when I had Rezo's scent about me so I was always careful to pack an extra change of clothes whenever I went over there. I would change clothes on the way and after that, the dog would act normally around me.

"There's something definitely wrong with my grandfather," I said to myself as I closed my eyes again in pain.

When I awoke again, I felt slightly better. I opened my eyes, knowing that Rezo would be there watching me.

"How are you feeling, dear Zelgadis?" he asked and I sat up with some pain.

"Better. What did you do?" I asked and Zelgadis smiled slightly.

"A simple healing spell, dear one. I didn't heal you completely because you need to increase your white magic ability. Also, there is a proposition I wish to discuss with you. I've given it a lot of thought and I would like to know if you are receptive to the idea."

"A...proposition?"

"Yes."

He smiled comfortingly but for some reason, I didn't feel comforted. I only felt worry for what his proposition was.

"You want the strength to find your father, don't you?"

"Yes I do."

"I could give it to you, you know but you'd have to do something for me as well."

"What would that be?"

"I need a certain....artifact for one of my spells. I've been doing research on this spell for quite a long time now but I am missing an artifact that would help me uncover the spell's mystery. It is extremely difficult to search for it just by myself so would you be interested in helping me?"

An artifact? How difficult could that be to locate one? I could do that easily. Rezo must have sensed my thoughts because he smiled agreeably and took my hand. He helped me to stand and for the first time, I gazed at my grandfather with something similar to trust in my heart.