Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Echo through the Ice ❯ Chapter 1 Awkwardness in the Inn ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
Awkwardness in the Inn


    It was pitch black outside in a vicious blizzard that showed no signs of letting up. The only sign of life in this harsh environment came from a small inn in the tiny town of Dragoon. The inn gave off a rather quiet charm, while inside it seemed to have an eerie silence. In the dinning hall, no one was to be found, it was very late. However, a lone figure sat at a far table with a great deal on her mind.
    Lina Inverse sat at the table, staring at her cup of hot coco. She was clad in her warm red pajamas and heavy, black robe; her hair hanging loosely down the back of the chair, while she wore a pair of black slippers to keep her feet as warm as possible. She would glance every few minutes at the now massive blizzard that was outside of the inn that she and the rest of the group decided to make camp at.
 
    I've never seen such a terrible storm before; though this is our first time this far north.
 

    As she thought, she heard soft footsteps coming up behind her. She knew at once who it was. She sighed deeply.

    Amelia. Great she wants to chat.

    Amelia was bundled up in her light pink pajamas and matching robe and slippers. She had such a sad look on her face when she walked up. She stopped a few feet from her redheaded friend and tried to find out why Lina was sulking.

    She seems so lost in thought. Poor Miss Lina.

    “Are you okay, Miss Lina?”

    Amelia said it so low that Lina almost didn't hear her, though she already knew what Amelia was going to say.

    “I'm fine, Amelia. How many times do you plan to ask me that?”

    Amelia hated seeing her friend like this. It had only been about a week since they had heard the news.

    “But Miss Lina, you've been sulking for almost a week now and....”

    She was cut off by Lina's yell.

    “Stop! I don't want to hear it again!”

    Amelia stood bolt upright; she knew why Lina was upset. About a week ago, Sylphiel had joined the group for their trip to the far north and the land of black ice, Loki. She had also invited everyone to her and Gourry's wedding. Needless to say that took everyone aback, especially Lina, though she wouldn't admit it.

    Damn! Just as I was finally beginning to forget about that stupid thing.

    Lina looked up at the tear-filled eyes of her young friend then noticed another pair of eyes watching from the other end of the dinning hall. Zelgadis was sipping his hot tea, while watching his two companions. He was dressed in his usual dark blue pajamas and matching moccasins. Since he is mostly mad of stone he rarely ever got too cold so no robe was needed for him. Lina noticed that he was now giving her a look of was that really necessary. Looking back at her young friend she gave a rather large sigh and a small half smile.

    “I'm sorry Amelia, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. It's not your fault. It's just hard to believe that's all”

    Amelia gave a small smile as she sat down next to her friend. Zelgadis decided to make his way over and sat down at the same table.

    “I know you don't really wish to talk about it Lina, but it's not good to keep to yourself either. We're your friends to and you know you can talk to us.”

    She didn't expect that from Zel of all people, mister doom-and-gloom himself. And she let out a small chuckle.

    “Yeah I know, at least you two have each other huh?”

    Zelgadis and Amelia looked dumbfound at each other, both their faces turning a bright shade of red, and then turning quickly away to avoid the other from seeing. This gave Lina a fit of the giggles.

    “I appreciate you guys worrying about me and all, but this is something I have to learn to deal with, me and Gourry have been traveling for almost four years now. After all, it's not like I didn't see it coming. I mean come on they're made for each other. It's just that...”

    Both leaned in trying to hear her as she trailed off. She took a quick glance as she was speaking to see how intently they both were.

    “...it's late. So I think I'll turn in, see you two in the morning. Now, don't try any funny business now you two.

    She walked up the stairs, leaving two very uncomfortable and red-faced friends at the table with their mouths agape.
 
    On her way to her room, she passed by Gourry and Sylphiel's room. A tear began to form in her eye, but with a big sigh she kept moving. She would have to deal with it somehow. She always did. She walked into her room, which gave off a soothing feel though it was lost on Lina. Sitting on her bed, she started think of all she had been through with the blonde swordsman, and start to feel herself tear up again.

    Damn it! Why am I crying? I knew it was going to happen. I should be happy for them. But....

    She was then snapped back to reality, with her window being forced open by a huge gust of wind. She bolted to the window, and shut it quickly. She then slowly lay down in her bed, trying her best to get some rest.

    Damn, tomorrow we leave too. I hope this blizzard lets up.

    She then slowly drifted off to sleep, and to the world of her dreams.


Chapter 2
Uncertainty. Lina's Decision. (Coming soon)