Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Inner Beings ❯ Shopping and Dinner Conversations ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/N: Thank you for reviews! Read, Savor, and ENJOY! Please?

Shopping and Dinner Conversations

After seeing that Amelia had left, Lina quickly went to her private bathroom and concocted her medicinal lotion for Cecelia. Then she went back to her bedchamber, rubbed the lotion over Cecelia, and left Pico to keep her company with directions on how to care for her. After doing so, Lina briskly walked down the hall to her right, and stopped at a sealed door. After entering a secret code, she went in and looked around. "Good. All of my possessions are still here." Lina walked around piles of gold, artifacts, relics, and old things from her childhood. Lina stopped in front of a pile in a back corner.

"Hey! It's my old mirror!" Lina picked up a small hand-mirror with rubies surrounding the frame. "I thought I lost this. Hmm.It could come in handy. I'll bring it with me." After carefully putting the mirror into a side pocket of her cloak, Lina continued walking around the piles and reminiscing every so often. Finally, she filled a small leather bag with gold, put it inside her cloak, and walked out, making sure to lock the door behind her. After doing so, Lina set for the garden.

Once there, she found Amelia sitting by the fountain, surrounded by chirruping little birds. Lina cleared her throat to catch Amelia's attention. Startled by the sudden sound, the birds flew off as Amelia smiled and stood up. "Ready to go, Amelia? I didn't keep you waiting too long, did I?" Amelia walked up to Lina and shook her head. "Oh, no Lina- san. I was too preoccupied with the birds to notice the time. I'm ready to go now, though." Lina smiled and replied, "Good. Let's go." Lina led Amelia through the hallways, to the front gates of the castle. As she passed, she quickly said to the guard, "Hi and Bye Cameo. I'm going out shopping with my friend. See you at sundown." The guard could only watch in silence as Lina passed him and proceeded to walk into town.

When they got to the town square, Amelia asked Lina, "Where are we going first?" Lina pointed to a shop called, "Ann and Marie's Eloquent Finery". "There - for outfits." Amelia and Lina made their way to the shop, and walked in to the sound of a bell, announcing their arrival. A middle-aged brunette woman looked up from the counter. "Welcome to Ann and Mar- Wait a minute. Could it be? Princess Lina! It is you! Oh, I'm so happy to see that you're back! What would you like today?" Lina smiled as she walked up to the counter. "Hi, Ann. How's business going? I'm here to pick out a dress for me and my friend here, and two tuxedos for my guy friends." Ann gently smiled back as she led them to an aisle at the back of the store. "Oh, we're doing just fine. But your purchase should bring us enough money to last for a long while. I'm glad that the royal family has favored this store to buy special occasion outfits. Ah, here is our newest selection of dresses. Tuxedos are on the other side. *A bell can be heard at the front of the store* I'll check back in a while. Excuse me, I have another customer."

Lina nodded as Ann walked off and started looking at the dresses. "Amelia, have a look around and find a dress you like. Don't mind the prices, I'll pay for everything." Amelia stood still, shocked at Lina's behavior. "Oh, Lina-san. You don't have to do that, really. Besides, since when have you ever offered to pay for anything?" Lina waved off her question and continued to browse through the dresses. "Don't worry about it. This is my hometown, so I feel that it is my duty to treat my closest friends over the years to a few gifts. Besides, I have more than enough money to spend here. Now this ball will be the usual late-into-the-night dances, so pick something that you think you'll be comfortable in for about three to five hours - dancing and eating included." Amelia accepted this answer and started to look for a dress.

Twenty minutes later, Ann reappeared. "Sorry I took so long. So, girls, how are you faring with the dresses?" Lina looked up at Ann and slightly frowned. She held up two red dresses. The one in her left hand had a showy v-neck line, waist-leg-slit, and was sleeveless, blood-red, and went down to her ankles. In the other hand, she had a slightly lighter- colored, short-sleeved, collarbone-line cut, over-her-feet, slightly puffy dress. In other words, an alluring, seductive dress compared to a more modest and princess-like dress. "Which one should I take?" "Whichever one you are most comfortable with, but I'd say, if you haven't changed much since the last time I saw you, to go with the more modest dress. Then again, if you have a date or escort that you really like, or you just want to be noticed, I'd say go with the dark red dress. You are going to be 18 that night, you might as well look the part too, right?"

Lina looked down at the dresses. She murmured in a low voice. "I haven't told him about the ball yet, but I know he'll come if I ask him the right way. Hmm.I think I would like to be noticed, if it weren't for my small figure." Lina sighed and looked longingly at the dark red dress. Ann saw this and replied, "You know, it's always been my opinion that small and petite girls were better suited for these kinds of dresses, instead of say, tall and bustier women. Wouldn't you agree? Remember what Gracia looked like at the last ball before you left? It was Luna's sweet 16th birthday." Lina looked up at these words and laughed. "Boy, do I! She caught the attention of every single guy there! She even had more attention than Luna! Haha! Yeah, I suppose you're right. What do you think, Amelia?" Amelia snapped back to attention. She had thought the name Gracia, described as tall and busty, had sounded familiar. "Hmm? Oh, yes Lina-san. I think you should take the dark red dress. It'll look good on you, I just know it will. With that dress, even if you weren't the guest of honor, you'd probably get a lot of attention anyway. Please at least try it on!" Ann smiled at Lina. "Go ahead. The dressing room is right over there. We'll wait here for you." Blushing, Lina looked at Ann and Amelia, nodded, and went inside the dressing room. After ten minutes, she came out again. Amelia and Ann gasped in surprise. The dress was perfect for her. It clung to the curves that she had, drawing attention away from the curves that she didn't have. Amelia happily exclaimed, "Oh, Lina! You look magnificent! You should definitely get that dress!" Ann nodded her agreement.

Lina turned around and looked at the mirror, but blocked the view of the mirror from the two females. In a whisper, she asked her reflection, "Do I really look that good? It makes me feel kind of nervous." Surprisingly, the reflection smiled back at her and nodded. In her mind, she could hear a kind, motherly voice telling her, "Of course you do, Lina darling. Any dress will look good on you, but the one that you picked out fits you perfectly. Go ahead and buy it." Lina smiled and turned back around. "Okay! I'll take it!"

After taking off the dress, the rest of the outfits were quickly found, Lina paid for the garments in advance, and signed a sheet so that the attire would be sent to the castle the night before the dance. When they came back outside, Lina stated, "Alright. Next we'll go get jewelry and accessories. By the time we finish, it'll be near sundown, so we'll go back to the castle for dinner." The rest of the shopping trip more or less went on unimportantly. Lina purchased a pair of pearl-white gloves, diamond earrings, a diamond necklace, a jeweled hair barrette, red small- heeled shoes, and some light make-up. She also paid for Amelia's things and some items for Gourry and Zelgadis. They headed back to the castle.

**An hour later, Lina and Everybody of Importance (In this story anyway) arrived at the dining hall for dinner**

Gourry, Zelgadis, and Amelia stared at the dining table. It was filled completely with luscious food, everything from salads to main dishes. Lina wasn't all that surprised, so she sat down quietly. Snapping back to attention, her friends followed her. Lina whispered to Gourry to eat as nicely as possible to try to make a good impression. Gourry nodded and surprised everyone with amazingly neat table manners. It seemed as if he only ate a lot and messily when they were traveling because he needed a lot of food if he had to fight with Lina over it. But since lunch, Lina was completely well-behaved and well-mannered, so Gourry had nothing to worry about, for now. Luna started a conversation.

"So, Gourry, was it? How did you first meet our little Lina?" Gourry looked at Lina wondering if Lina would allow him to tell them what had happened, and she nodded her consent. "Well, I was a wandering mercenary at the time. I was walking in the forest when I heard some bandits talking and a female voice replying. I decided to investigate and saw Lina surrounded by bandits with their swords drawn. *Gourry started to squirm sheepishly* Well, I didn't get a good look at her so I thought she might be a damsel in distress, so I rushed to her rescue. I was proven wrong when I saw her kill a dragon that same day with just one spell. Hehe." Luna looked at her little sister and smirked. "You used the Dragon Slave, didn't you? Only that spell could take out a dragon so quickly." Lina looked down and nodded. Luna continued, "How long have you been traveling together?" Lina was the one to answer. "I met them all when I was 15. Gourry first, then Amelia, then Zelgadis. Well, actually, I met Zelgadis before Amelia, but Amelia joined our group first." Luna smirked again and telepathically asked Lina. "So, do you love anyone yet?" Lina blushed, but her mind answered. "Yes! I love Gourry! - No! I love Zelgadis! - But I love Xellos!" Startled, Luna stared at Lina. Her eyes were snapped shut and Luna could see color draining from her face. Concerned, Luna asked, "Hey sis, are you alright?" Lina took a sharp intake of breath and gasped, "I-I'll be fine. I just n-need some fresh air. I'll be in the garden. Excuse me." With that, Lina half-limped and half-ran out the door. Startled at her sudden leave, Gourry stood up and ran after her. As Zelgadis and Amelia were about to do the same, Luna intervened. "Don't follow them. Lina can take care of herself. Trust me. She isn't in any danger, yet." Disturbed, the two friends sat down again and slowly continued eating. Fifteen minutes later, they all heard Lina scream and rushed out of the door.

** At the Garden before the scream**

Gourry finally caught up with Lina and saw her grasping the edge of the fountain, looking into the water. He slowly approached her and she looked up, pain visible in her eyes. "Lina. Are you alright? What's wrong?" Lina gasped for air again. She slowly replied, "G-Gourry. I don't have much time. If you have anything important to say to me, say it now before my body gives out." Gourry looked at Lina with alarm but consented. He bent down in front of Lina and held her hand. "Lina. Every since the first time I laid my eyes on you, I've been attracted to you. A little at first, but as we had more adventures together, I fell for you more and more each day. Lina, I love you and I would risk my life to do whatever that would please you. Will you do the honor of marrying me?" Gourry pulled a small black case from his pocket and opened it in front of Lina. She gasped in surprise and turned to Gourry in horror. "Gourry. I- I love you too, but - but -" Lina was cut off as she screamed in sudden pain and fell limp in Gourry's arm. Thoroughly distressed now, Gourry called Lina's name over and over, trying to get her to open her eyes again, but to no avail.

Soon after Lina passed out, Zelgadis, Amelia, and Luna appeared at the entrance of the garden. They all gasped as they saw Lina's limp figure on the ground in front of Gourry. They continued to stare in shock as something strange began to happen.

A/N: Something very interesting is going to happen in the next chapter! If you want to read it, PLEASE REVIEW!!! They're the source of my life energy. Well, not really. They just make me feel happy that my work is appreciated. Just to be nice, I'll post the next one anyway.