Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lina Inverse: The Ice Cream Special ❯ Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Fandom: Slayers
Title: Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend
Author/Artist: <Lj user=perch> using fanfic journal <lj user=whelpling>
Theme: # 26 Gone
Pairing/Characters: Lina/Naga, implied Lina/Gourry
Rating: PG for Language
Disclaimer/claimer: I do not own Slayers in any capacity nor am I making any form of profit from this fanfic.
Notes/Summery: Lina runs into Naga five years later.
 
<Lj-cut text= Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend >
 
 
Some nights when Lina Inverse dreams, she dreams in purple. Long dark capes, long purple hair, clothes nothing more then a collection of black straps crossing over skin, and cold, pale flesh, adding stark contrast, forming the body of the woman, whom Lina cannot forget.
 
There is always a laugh. Haunting, piercing, humbling. Lina has never understood how she was able to withstand that laugh for so long, or the owner of that laugh; Naga the White Serpent. Her supposed arch-rival, sometimes traveling companion rarely thought of friend. In the years they were together Lina learned many valuable lessons. Never pay for someone else's food, don't share loot, and avoid having a half-wit for a rival as often as possible.
 
They parted the way they met, on Naga's terms. All their beginnings and endings were dictated by that obnoxious laugh, those bouncing breasts, and the flamboyant way Naga moved across the world. For most of the three years they were traveling companions Lina went out of her way to try and lose her, and for the years following their disbanding Lina went out of her way to stay lost, but some things, just aren't meant to end.
 
Fast forward five years.
 
Gourry is checking into their hotel while Lina goes off to check out the magic shop. Looking into the shops window is a tall, willowy woman in a floor length black cape, with long purple hair cascading down her back. Lina, gets a prickle down her back, but continues to advance towards the shop. The woman, as if she can feel someone watching her, slowly turns around, and there, in front of Lina, is Naga. More accurately, it is Naga's over developed chest, which is at Lina's eye level.
 
“Don't panic,” Lina thinks, “you knew you were going to eventually run into Naga.”
 
“Hello Lina,” Naga says slowly and clearly, as if she's talking to an especially slow child, “how are you?”
 
“F-fine,” Lina stammers, not quite sure why she's suddenly so nervous.
 
Naga smiles at her almost as if she pities her.
 
“What?” Lina demands, “what is it Naga?”
 
Naga shrugs her shoulders, seemingly innocent, while her eyes glitter and narrow and a small smile tugs up the corners of her lips.
 
“Oh, I was just noticing that after all these years you're still just as flat-chested as always.”
 
“Naga! I can't believe you! We don't see each other in five years and that's all you can come up with?”
 
“Oh, has it been five whole years? My, you mustn't stay so obsessed with me Lina…”
 
“Obsessed?!? I'll show you obsessed! Fireball!” Lina shouted, hurling the spell at Naga.
 
Naga managed to dodge mostly out of the way, but the shop wasn't so lucky. After running away from the irate shopkeeper the two women found themselves atop a small hill outside of town.
 
“You never change, Lina, still just a child,” Naga said quietly.
 
“I never change?”
 
Naga looked at her sadly, the smirk gone from her face, before taking a step towards her.
 
“Whoa, what are you up to?” Lina demanded, putting her hands up in front of her while stepping out of Naga's personal space.
 
“I'm just looking.”
 
They stood together uncomfortably for a few moments and then Naga turned with a swish of her cape and started to walk away from the town.
 
“Wait a minute! Naga! Where are you going?”
 
Naga didn't say anything and Lina jogged to keep up with her.
 
“You make one comment about my breasts and that's it, you're done? I've been traveling the world; I saved it from more times then I can count now! Don't you even care?”
 
“Oh silly Lina, there you go trying to impress me again.”
 
“What?!?”
 
“Oh don't think it'll stop me, I've heard about your little adventures, I mean, I am your greatest rival after all…”
 
“Hold on a minute! We're not going back to that greatest rival crap again are we?”
 
Naga stopped and whirled to face Lina. She pushed her face within centimeters of Lina's, forcing the young redhead to stop immediately and pull her face from Naga's chest. They stared at each other for a full minute, neither blinking, until finally Lina gulped and stepped back.
 
Naga leaned forward the few inches of space Lina had placed between them and tilted her head to the side, her mouth a breath away from Lina's own.
 
“I only want to hear one word come out of your mouth Lina Inverse,” Naga whispered, her lips barely moving.
 
“I-I, Naga, I can't, I have Gourry, waiting back at the inn…and I can't,” Lina whispered back.
 
The young redhead stepped back again and looked up at her oldest rival, her old traveling companion, the woman who taught her too many things, too many years ago, and when Naga turned away, this time, like all those others, Lina let her go.
 
Everything about their relationship was on Naga's terms except one, and that one thing Lina refused to give away, even when the darkest corners of her heart whispered for her to do so.