Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Prince Charming ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Songs for this chapter are: Wolf Parade `You are a runner and I am my father's son.' and Morphine's `I think she likes me'. That last song sums this chapter up perfectly.
 
Beware of lots of point of view changes.
 
 
 
The small village wasn't much. A general store/tavern, blacksmith, tiny temple and inn, and few houses were all it could boast of having. But to Naga, it was gorgeous. The dirty, washed out buildings full of dirty, washed out people reminded her of her hometown. But instead of dwelling on that, she decided to focus on the restaurant where the delicious smells of cooking meat were coming from.
 
 
She paused in her inspection of the town to check her purse. Phil had offered to pay for her meal and stay, but right now Naga didn't want to spend any more time with the justice-freak. Most of her travel had been done alone. And all of her previous travelling companions hadn't stuck around long enough for her to grow attached to them. Naga had never been much of a people person and few people ever really grew attached to her.
 
 
Phil, unfortunately, was one of those few people.
 
 
Naga knew that the large man she was travelling with was fond of her. Plenty of guys liked her, every time she went into a tavern she was reminded of that fact. Ever since she turned fifteen guys had been hitting on her. Naga half-believed she had heard every pickup line ever said.
 
 
This guy though…he seemed sincere. The thought of Phil trying to come on to her was enough to make her burst out laughing. He might look a bit like a bandit, but the burly guy was a gentleman at heart.
 
 
In the end, Naga decided to push those thoughts away and eat her fill (Phil) at the restaurant.
 
 
 
 
 
After finally reaching the place he had been striving for, Phil was disappointed. Not at the size of the town, he honestly believed in the `don't judge a book by it's cover' saying. The prince didn't want his adventure to end. Life outside the palace was more interesting that he'd thought it to be. His brothers had teased him about this trip, saying that he'd be back after a few hours on his own. Phil had lasted longer than a few house and was currently half in love with the woman a few yards ahead of him.
 
 
 
As he watched her dig around in her purse after inspecting a squat building, Phil noticed how pale she was despite all those hours she had spent in the sun. He saw how dark her hair was and how her cape flapper heroically in the breeze. Those light blue eyes that reminded him of a hawk or wildcat looked up and down the street, carefully avoiding his eyes.
 
 
Phil sighed, feeling warm inside and at peace, trying to ignore that tugging thought of how she felt about him. Instead, he focused on that tingly feeling in his stomach and where she was headed.
 
 
 
 
 
Naga gave the town another once over, avoiding Phil's gaze, and headed toward her destination. Food, (hopefully good) and (god willing) lots of alcohol awaited her. A huge meal followed by several jugs of wine would make that little voice in her head go away. Right now she could've strangled that little fucker with a cheerful grin. Naga already was quite aware of how Phil looked at her, like a hopeful little puppy, and didn't need a reminder.
 
 
With a pang, the tall woman tried to imagine the look on his when she broke the news to him. She glanced over at his shoulder, watched him try up his horse by the village gate, and wondered how he would take the news. Tears? If she didn't know him any better, Naga would have laughed the thought of him weeping over her off. However, she did know how expressive Phil could be.
 
 
Would there be tears or just dry sobbing? Naga winced, hating the idea of Phil starting a huge scene that would draw the villagers out of their houses. For the hundredth time, she wished she hadn't stumbled upon those bandits. Sure, Phil was nice, but…
 
 
 
It was clear he liked her and probably wanted a relationship. Right now she didn't need that sort of thing. Naga was strong, independent and needed no one! She was a great sorceress and soon everyone would know her name and all the spells she had invented. No one could resist her charms. Wincing, Naga remembered teasing Phil a little when they'd first met. Calling him `big guy'. Sometimes, she just didn't know what went through her head.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The tavern/restaurant was nearly empty. Naga cursed her luck and wished there was a huge crowd of people. Lots of people meant she could escape Phil and leave without him later. Five people sitting around, drinking cheap ale and playing cards offered little distraction. Cursing again, she walked over to the bar and sat in one of the rickety seats. Naga could hear the men mumbling amongst themselves, probably about her. She knocked on the counter of the bar and told the toothless bar tender that she needed a drink. A large one. After a few seconds, she heard the clomping of heavy boots. Naga sighed and told the bar tender to make it a double. Phil sat heavily down besides her, making the stool creak from the weight. The sorceress rubbed her temple and ordered the bar tender to hurry up.
 
 
Besides her, Phil laughed and ordered the same. Naga's right eye twitched and imagined a drunk Phil, standing on a table and ranting about justice and perhaps even his love for her. She bit her cheek, wide-eyed and glanced at him.
 
“You know, I ordered alcohol.” She wagged a finger at him. “This isn't a kiddy drink.”
 
Phil blinked at her, as wide-eyed as she had been a mere second ago.
 

“You drink?”
 
Coolly, she responded. “Of course.”
 
“But, but alcohol is a source of evil! Miss Naga, I expected more from you.” He looked at her sternly.
 
Naga suddenly wondered if he'd act this way with his kids one day. A bunch of little boys and girls with dark hair and blue eyes….
 
 
 
Phil and the bar tender looked at her, surprised. Neither of them knew what had caused the woman head to smash her own skull into the counter with such force.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A few minutes later, Naga raised her head out of the remains of the bar counter. Kids, Phil's kids to be more exact. She had been thinking about Phil's future children. His kids. Groaning, she grabbed the drink the bar tender had left there before leaving to a safer distance. She glared at Phil, noticing him staring at her both amused and bewildered . If she'd been in a better mood, Naga would have rolled her eyes and dismissed him. Instead, she glared at him, wondering what why he was suddenly blushing.
 
 
 
 
She has the most beautiful eyes…Even when she glared at him, he still felt all tingly inside. Naga, he decided, was moody, unpredictable and even more beautiful when she was mad. The sorceress looked like a cat when she was upset, eyes narrowed and almost animal-like. Phil suddenly toyed with the idea of how she looked when she slept. Gentle and innocent, with her fist tucked under her chin? Or drooling, sprawled out on the bed? His face felt hot and grabbed the glass in front of him with a not-quite-steady hand.
 
 
After downing the entire glass in one shot, stunning Naga, Phil realized that alcohol wasn't very pleasant. His eyes itched and watered, his throat burned and the room spun around in a half-hearted circle. Phil managed to put the glass back onto the counter without accident, though he nearly missed the counter entirely and his head was beginning to feel rather tender.
 
 
“Are you okay?” Nervously, Naga looked at the prince.
 
Phil scratched his head sheepishly, and grinned.
 
 
“I guess I should stick to the kiddie drinks.”
 
 
 
Naga laughed, surprising herself and causing Phil to beam at her. She gave him a lazy grin that quickly became a frown. God, we were nearly flirting. Her stomach gave an unpleasant twinge once she noticed him looking at her, his eyes solemn and dark.
 
“Alright?” His tone, low and gently, caused her heart to race alarmingly.
 
Her face flushed an attractive shade of red.
 
 
Phil continued to look at her concerned. Although he thought she looked gorgeous with her face all red and her hair pleasantly mussed, the prince decided not to tell her so.
 
 
Naga cleared her throat, face still hot. “Don't you have to see the mayor about something?”
 
Phil gaped at her. “Oh, I almost forgot!” He slapped his forehead theatrically. The large man jumped off the chair with a flourish and began to walk towards the entrance of the tavern.
 
“No matter how much I enjoyed out time together, I must depart in the name of justice. Our paths will cross again though, fate declares it!” Phil posed dramatically. “Actually, “ his voice dropped back to a more normal decibel “Do you want to accompany me?”
 
The tall woman, only a few inches shorter than he, shook her head.
 
“No thanks. I'd prefer to just relax for the time being.”
 
Phil nodded, feeling rather tired himself “Well, than, I'll see you later. Are you going to get a room at the tavern?”
 
Naga nodded, looking into her half empty glass.
 
“Do you want me to get the mayor's permission to-“
 
She cut him off “No, I can pay for it myself. You just go talk to the mayor.” Naga waved him off.
 
 
Phil gave her another smile, this one more nervous than his other ones and continued toward his way outside.
 
 
He paused in the door way, and turned to look at her.
 
“Miss Naga?”
 
The sorceress looked at him
 
“I really.” Phil cleared his throat. “I enjoyed your company during this trip very much. Thanks for coming along.” His eyes frank and sincere, met hers. Phil and Naga looked at each other for a few seconds, then the large man left the tavern, his movement slightly awkward.
 
 
After she heard his footstep slowly fade away, Naga turned from the doorway and abruptly drank the rest of her drink in two large gulps. Had he said that he'd enjoyed her company? Their time together?
 
 
 
 
 
Naga knew she should be upset or chagrined, but knowing she should feel differently didn't stop a small smile from arising on her face.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks for everyone who reviewed. You guys make it all worth the tired fingers and aching wrists.
 
The next chapter:
 
 
Phil meets up with the mayor and Naga discovers something that completely changes her outlook on life. Sort of.