Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Prince Charming ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
While Phil was busy experiencing puppy-love for the first time, the black sorceress was wondering how the hell she could get out of helping him defeat those monsters. No free dinner or room was worth this.
 
 
 
 
Even as they ate, Phil had rambled on and on about where he had come from. Naga had heard enough about Saillune and Phil's opinion on nearly every subject under the sun.
 
 
 
 
Phil was one of the most annoying people he had ever met. She had always believed her laugh was loud (in a good way, though) but when he bellowed out laughter at something odd he had said-small animals ran for shelter. Naga began to wonder who had told him about that whole super-hero thing he seemed to be trying to go for. Too many fairy tales when he was young, she supposed. Even his horse annoyed her at this point. He had offered to let her ride the large beast, but Naga had declined, neglecting to mention that she didn't know how to ride a horse. Phil, chivalrous as he was bulky, had refused to ride the horse as well.
 
 
 
 
“You know, I think we're nearing the village. What was the name of this place anyway?”
 
Trying his best to be helpful, Phil pulled out a map and began scanning it.
 
“I think we're in Rockville.”
 
Naga, sweat dropped “Rockville?”
 
“Apparently. Have you heard of it?” A thought occurred to the prince. “What were you doing out in this forest in the first place?”
 
She glanced at him .“No to the first question and I'm a travelling mercenary.”
 
“A travelling mercenary?” Much to Naga's alarm, hearts appeared in her new `friends' eyes. “Travelling from town to town, helping people, saving the innocent…you truly are a Warrior of Justice.” Jubilantly, Phil began to grill her with questions. She barely had the chance to answer them.
 
“How long have you been following the path of light?”
 
“I've been…wait, the path of what?
 
“Of light of course.”
 
“Alright.” She decided to just smile and go along. Smile and nod…
 
“I've been `following the path of light' for-”The tall woman stopped walking to think “About six years now.”
 
Phil looked at her wide-eyed.
 
“Six whole years? Don't you miss your family?”
 
 
Naga nodded sagely “Oh, yes. But sometimes,” she sighed dramatically for effect. “Sometimes you have to sacrifice things for you know.. justice and light and all that good crap.”
 
Those hearts that worried Naga, so, so very much appeared again in Phil's eyes.
 
 
“You're willing to do all that for justice? You're such a true defender of-”
 
 
Abruptly, Naga decided to change the conversation. “Say, isn't that a weird looking bird?”
 
Phil turned to look, allowing the woman besides him to make a face, groan weakly and clutch her head in her hands.
 
 
In retrospect, perhaps going along with him wasn't the best idea.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
God, the last thing I need is some hero-worshipper following me around like a puppy. Her left eye at the thought. Why, oh why, couldn't she just find some nice guy with a little gold and a decent mansion. Naga was willing to admit that Phil was nice, (though she doubted if he had any money) he was one messed up individual.
 
 
 
 
After looking at the trees for several minutes and deciding that the bird had flown away, Phil turned back to Naga and began to engage her in conversation again.
 
 
 
“How old are you?”
 
 
“Twenty.” She replied shortly, growing ever more uncomfortable with her travelling companion.
 
“Oh,” he looked at her and his smile widened. “You're only a few years younger than me.”
 
Naga glanced at Phil, growing irritated “You're how old?”
 
Grinning, the large man told her “Twenty-two.”
 
 
 
 
She stared at him intently. With his chin whiskers, stocky build, and already bushy brows, he reminded her of an ogre. An ogre over twenty. She supposed he wasn't too bad looking. Her mother always said that everyone had at least one nice feature. His hair, a few shades darker than her own, was spiky and seemed rather soft. His eyes were nice too. A pleasantly dark blue.
 
 
 
 
Naga shook her head, feeling a sharp and pounding headache approaching. The breeze gently blew past, causing her cape to blow away from her body. Rubbing one temple distractedly, she wondered how far away the village was. She had spent so much time with this guy that she was beginning to stand his company. A few more hours and she might even like him and a few more days, (gods help her) might even not mind that puppy dog look he had been giving her for the last half hour.
 
 
 
 
Phil began to look at her, growing concerned. His friend seemed distracted and slightly mad, over what he didn't know. That last thing he wanted was for her to be upset at him. The sight of those cold eyes on him made his knees feel weak and his stomach twitch oddly. Butterflies, the prince thought and his stomach gave another twinge.
 
 
 
 
She really was something, Phil sighed deeply at the sight of her, wind blowing her cape and long hair away from her body. He grinned at her sheepishly when she noticed him looking at her. Naga glared at him sharply, making his gaze drop to his feet.
 
 
 
The shapely sorceress felt her face grow hot. And turned to look at the sunset. They had spent most of today walking and she could feel her feet growing tender by the minute. She shifted, heard leaves crunch underfoot and began to speed her pace up.
 
 
Once he saw her walking, nearly jogging, Phil hastened to catch up. His stomach and knees still felt funny, but he was beginning to enjoy it. He wondered suddenly what she'd look like in one of those fancy dresses that the woman at the palace liked to wear. The prince grinned. Naga in one of those poofy,girly, pink dresses would be quite a site. He wasn't sure if he'd prefer her in her leather outfit (although he did like the skin she was revealing) or something more modest. Miss Naga would look rather cute in a frilly outfit, Phil decided, but she probably wouldn't like wearing it.
 
After spending a few minutes imagining her living in the castle and how his friends, family and the counsel would react, the robust young man realized that he was becoming quite ahead of himself. He doubted if Naga was even interested in him. She probably felt the same way that those other woman did towards him.
 
 
 
Despite himself, Phil was still drawn to her. He hoped that she would continue to travel with him for awhile. Naga was nice company and he'd bet that she'd be great at destroying those monsters. And after that…who knew? Perhaps he could continue travelling after sending a message to his father.
 
 
As the prince mused about how he felt towards the tall woman nearby, Naga had noticed smoke overhead. Feeling relieved, she began to run closer to the source of the flames. She smelled cooking meat near and began to salivate. Lunch seemed to have been ages ago.
 
 
 
Naga felt her heart lift as soon as she saw the village's wooden gate. Finally, she was free…but then why did she suddenly feel disappointed? Sighing, the woman knew why. She had grown fond of Phil and his attention. Even his stupid voice and horse didn't seem to bad.
 
 
 
 
 
She wondered again how she could get out of helping Phil destroy those monsters, but this time with a slightly heavier heart.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Writing this sure has been surprisingly fun and easy. I expected it to be a struggle to type every paragraph, but instead everything came together easily. The next chapter should be written tomorrow hopefully.