Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Secret ❯ Part I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:I do not own The Slayers or the song Secret… I'd Be A Whole Lot Richer If I Did Though!!!
 
Hallo all!!! I know I need to finish up Xelfi Productions so I can finish up Slayers: Dedicated but… well… it doesn't exactly write itself and so I get rather bored writing it. (oo)
 
-x- Rockdad hangs her head in shame -x-
 
I know, I know…but I'm ADD…as I'm sure is probably obvious by now…and I can't really help it! (nn)
 
-x- Rockdad beams up at audience -x-
 
Well all, here's another filler fic while I try to get Episode Five done! (n-)
 
Enjoy!!! (nn)
 
Please let me know what you think!
 
 
Secret; Lyrics By Maroon 5: A six part song fiction in which, after TRY and then while on a new mission, both Xelloss and Filia consider themselves…
 
 
Watch the sunrise… Say our goodbyes…
Off we go…
 
Some conversation… no contemplation…
Hit the road…
 
 
Filia watched them head down the hill towards the inn. Lina Inverse, Gourry Gabriev, Zelgadiss Greywers, and Princess Amelia Wil Telsa Saillune; her closest friends. They had just beaten Dark Star together and now in mere moments they were each off on their own way. She felt sad already.
 
“Hmm, well I suppose I have time for one more meal before I report back!” An irritating voice spoke up from behind her causing her to jump slightly. “What about you Miss Filia?! Do you have time for one final get together before you head off?!”
 
Filia spun around to find herself eye to eye with none other than the bane of her existence, Lord Beastmaster's General-Priest, Xelloss. He was the monster of monsters, the slayer of her race, and right now he was tapping his finger to his chin as if perplexed. Honestly Filia was surprised he had stuck around at all now that the others had already turned and left.
 
“Say Filia.” He asked eyes arched in thought. “Where are you going to go after all this? I mean, it's not like you can simply go join up with some other group of dragons, what with you being a traitor to your race and all!”
 
“I am not a traitor, Xelloss!!!” Filia stated in genuine outrage raising her mace to his nose. “How dare you make such accusations about me!”
 
“Oh?!” Xelloss replied with a smug grin. “And so you're saying that it's not treason to raise the offspring of the ones who refused to side with the dragon race or the monster race in the War of the Monster's Fall?!” He cracked an eye at her as he waited fro the realization to dawn on her.
 
Filia gasped, dropping her mace as it said realization did so like a ton of bricks. “You-your right… I…I don't know where I'll go…” She stared at the ground a moment in shock. “I-I've never been on my own before…”
 
“Oh?!” Xelloss inquired again voice positively dripping with his annoyance at her blind ignorance, causing her to twitch unconsciously. “So a little dragon who has never had any experience with children, let alone how to live on her own, is going to try and take on the task of raising a creature more powerful than a thousand of her kind?!”
 
He opened his eyes in a rare serious move causing her to shiver. “Sounds a bit foolish, if you ask me.”
 
“Well no one did!” Filia hissed tucking her mace away, she decided threatening a monster as powerful as Xelloss now that she had more than likely outlived her usefulness was rather reckless. His open eyes boring into her own made that decision surprisingly easy for her to come too. “And I'd appreciate it if you'd not remind me how hard this task is going to be!”
 
She looked down at the ground, her expression softening. “It doesn't matter anyway, I have to try. He deserves better than what he received in his past life.” She looked back up at him tears in her eyes. “I have to try, is that so hard for a monster like you to understand?!”
 
Devious yet ancient eyes gazed back at her a moment before closing.
 
“No.” He replied tonelessly, face expressionless. “It is not.”
 
He looked off to the inn where they could both hear the sounds of Lina and Gourry fighting over their meal. He looked back to her, condescending smirk back in place. “So! I repeat my question, do you have the time for one last get together?!”
 
He beamed at her as he felt the irritation bordering on anger growing inside of her. “Dinner just doesn't feel the same without you!”
 
Filia glowered a moment, then gave a light chuckle. With a shake of her head she turned to a sulking Jilias. “Come on Jilias, let's join Miss Lina and the other before we head off to find a home to raise Valgaav.”
 
Jilias' eyes brightened as he hopped to his feet. “You mean it boss?! I can come with you to raise Lord Valgaav?!”
 
Filia let out a cheerful giggle at his gratitude, overlooking what seemed to be a permanent nickname. “Of course you can! Now come along, or Miss Lina might eat the inn out of all of their food!”
 
The little fox man jumped at this and began running down the hill crying. “Oh me, oh my! Don't worry boss! I'll make sure they save you a plate!”
 
Filia giggled again and turned to the smirking Xelloss. “Well, come on Mr. Xelloss! I'm certain if we leave now their will be enough food for both of us!”
 
“Oh but Filia!” Xelloss chided waving a finger. “You know I don't eat human food!”
 
There was a sounding cry of: “FIREBALL” from the inn below and Filia turned to the mazoku with a smirk. “I know, now come on!”
 
Xelloss watched in utter amusement as the dragon maiden grabbed him, of all mazoku, and pulled him down the hill to the inn.
 
O O O
 
“Well, this has certainly been amusing!” Xelloss stated retrieving his staff and pushing the chair away as he rose from his seat at the table with the others. “But I really should get going! Lord Beastmaster is probably growing very anxious by now!”
 
The others mumbled their goodbyes but Filia stood up and grabbed him by the wrist. “Wait! Xelloss!”
 
Xelloss arched an eye. “Eh?!”
 
Filia let go of his wrist with a slight blush. “Um… well it's just… I wanted to ask you a few things…”
 
“Oh?!” Xelloss asked thoroughly amused at this.
 
Filia nodded mutely and he feigned a sigh. “Very well, what do you need to know?”
 
“Well…” Filia stated wringing her hands. She was unpleasantly aware of the eyes of the others on her. “…um… uh, could we discuss this some place a little more…” Filia blushed furiously at the insinuation of what she was about to say next as Amelia got little hearts in her eyes. “…private?”
 
Xelloss cracked an eye at this while arching the other's brow. “Oh my! Private, hmm?!” He forced Filia to nod, savoring her embarrassment as Amelia let out a little sigh and clutched onto the, now also blushing, chimera. “Very well.”
 
He grabbed her by the wrist and phased them onto the roof top. The sun had set several hours ago and the stars were beginning to disappear from the night sky. It was quite romantic Xelloss mused in mild disgust. Not that he was worried about that being what Filia needed to discuss with him however, one of the nice things about being a creature who feeds off negative energy is that you can taste all the emotions produced by your prey. None of the conflicting feelings in the distant dragon maiden on the roof next to him even hinted towards romance.
 
“So.” He stated calmly, sitting down and messing with a wrinkle in his cape. Filia sat down near him and gazed off at the tree line as he looked over at her musingly.
 
“So.” She replied softly and then turned to face him. “I wanted to thank you.”
 
“Oh?!” Xelloss inquired raising his eyebrows. “For what, might I ask?!”
 
“For letting me talk with you,” She began also fiddling with a set of wrinkles on her own garb. “For not killing me after I had outlived my usefulness. For bearing with my naivety. For driving home just how big a job raising little Valgaav will be…” She stared off at the tree line. “Hmm, I wish I had something else to call him, Valgaav sounds so… Gaav-like…”
 
 
Xelloss picked his jaw back up; it had given way to gravity when confronted by her lengthy un-Filia-like amount of gratitude, and set it in place giving a small chuckle. “Hmm… well I suppose that's one way of putting it!” He sat back relaxing yet again. “I do believe his original name was Valterria! Perhaps you can call him that!”
 
“Valterria…” Filia repeated softly, before scrunching up her face. “Sounds kind of…”
 
“Feminine?!” Xelloss supplied. “Yes, I thought so too, but that was his name!”
 
Filia shook his head. “Well… I suppose I could just leave it at Val.”
 
“That might be best.” Xelloss agreed standing to his feet. “Now I really should be…”
 
“Wait!” Filia cried grabbing onto his wrist again. “I still have a couple of questions I need to ask you!”
 
Xelloss raised an eyebrow. “You try my patience little girl. Don't assume that because I have tolerated you thus far I will continue to do so. I need to return to report!”
 
Filia pulled back her hand wide-eyed. With a gulp she mustered up the courage to whisper. “Please, just give me till the sunrise. I… I may never have another chance to speak with you about it.”
 
Xelloss considered the truth of her words and gave a curt nod, before sitting down once again. “Very well, what do you wish to ask?”
 
“I need to know a few things…” She began, hugging her knees to her chest. “I know you may not be able to answer some of them, but if you can… please do so…” She looked over at Xelloss pleadingly. He made no gesture to show if he'd do as she requested but simply waited patiently for her to continue.
 
“Right.” Filia nodded to herself before continuing. “First, I need to know why you didn't kill me the first time I insulted you.”
 
“That's simple.” Xelloss replied stretching out on the roof top. “Miss Lina would not be pleased with me if I did so, and unlike Hellmaster, my Mistress and I understand that when dealing with people like her, it's much better to gain their respect and trust than to go against it!” He smirked at her. “Which, might I add, is precisely the opposite of what you tried to do!”
 
Filia blanched, but held her composure; she still had a few more questions she needed answered. “I see, and so is that why you saved me in the cave?”
 
Xelloss grimaced slightly at this. “Unfortunately, no. Things actually would have gone quite a bit smoother if you'd died in there! Valgaav would have been dealt with and Miss Lina would have never learned of my betrayal as there would have been no witnesses left!”
 
“Then why did you do it then?!” Filia cried outraged at the horror of what he was saying. “It can't have been because of orders! No one knew what that prophesy was really about! “ She looked down at her hands. “Besides, with Valgaav dead, there would be no need to concern yourself with it anyway…”
 
“This is true.” Xelloss agreed darkly. “Saving you was an incredibly foolish course of action and Lord Beastmaster was quite displeased with me for taking it.” He gave Filia a twisted smirk. “But I had my reasons for doing so!”
 
“And those were?” Filia prodded, holding her frustration in check.
 
“Sore wa himitsu desu!” Xelloss replied with his trademark finger wave.
 
“Wha…Xelloss!!!” Filia admonished popping to her feet, hands on her hips. “You evaded the question!”
 
He shrugged in reply and Filia sighed sitting back down. “Fine, next question…”
 
“Nope!” Xelloss interrupted with a smug smirk.
 
“Nope?” Filia repeated confused. “What do you mean? Do you have to go already?!”
 
Xelloss shook his head briefly. “No, that's not it! I just don't think it's very fair that you get to ask me all these questions and I don't get to ask you any!”
 
Filia frowned then gave a resigned shrug. “Fine, what do you what to know?”
 
“Hmm.” Xelloss replied with a little smile. “Sore wa himitsu desu! I'll ask you when you get done asking me!”
 
“Then why'd you bring it up now in the first place?!” Filia asked in exasperation.
 
“Because!” Xelloss replied cheerfully pleased by her irritation, at least he was getting a free meal out of this nonsense. “I figured it was only fair to warn you!”
 
Filia grumbled under her breath shaking her head to clear it. “Must not get agitated… only have till sunrise…”
 
“So now Filia…” Xelloss prodded smoothly finding yet another wrinkle on his cloak to toy with. “You next question is…?”
 
Filia, having run out of wrinkles to focus on, scrunched up her skirt in irritation, as she struggled to maintain her temper. “My next question… was why didn't you kill me when the Supreme Elder refused you?”
 
Xelloss shrugged. “You were more use to me alive! What with that whole nasty business of having to break the Ancient Dragon's seal!” He beamed at her as she filled with the expected rage and confusion.
 
“But why did you need me to do it?!” Filia asked, by now more confused than outraged. “The Supreme elder could have done it easily!”
 
“Please!” Xelloss snorted in annoyance. “That stuffy old fool would never have the nerve to take the time to send a Holy Spell as powerful as the Chaotic Disintegrate at me while fighting me!” Xelloss smirked sideways at the mortified dragon maiden. “Besides, I was preferred to see the look on your face when you did exactly as I wanted you to!”
 
Filia gasped holding a hand to her mouth gazing wide-eyed at him as he let out a cold dark titter. “So I really did do just as you wanted…”
 
“Yes.” Xelloss replied calmly. “You did.” He arched an eyebrow. “Is there anything else?!”
 
Xelloss and Filia eyed the horizon where the first rays of light were beginning to shine through.
 
“Y-yes.” Filia replied uneasily. “Um… there was one last thing…”
 
Xelloss arched his eyes in feigned curiosity. “Yes?!”
 
Filia gulped and turned to look at the horizon rather than his face. “Why do you care enough about what I think that my opinions can irritate you?”
 
“Hmm.” Xelloss stated calmly, not caring at all for this question. “Now that of course, is, and probably will always remain, a secret.”
 
“Wha… Xelloss!” Filia groaned pulling on her hair. “That's probably the most important question I've asked all evening!”
 
“Perhaps...” Xelloss stated rising to his feet and picking up his staff. “But its sunrise and your time is up.”
 
He opened his eyes and bore his amethyst shards into her large blue orbs. “And now for my question…” Filia gulped and Xelloss continued. “What is your greatest fear Filia?”
 
“My greatest fear?” Filia repeated to herself thoughtfully. “Well it's…” She looked at him in sudden wide-eyed realization. “…I….I don't know…”
 
“You don't know?!” Xelloss repeated incredulously. “How can you not know your own worst fear?!”
 
Filia gulped as she wrung her hands and replied in a whisper. “Because… all of my fears were my race's fears… I…I don't know myself well enough to know what I fear…”
 
“Hmm…” Xelloss acknowledged. “Well this is probably true. Very well, I'll give you a year to find out and then I'll come find you!” He beamed down at the startled dragon maiden. “My time is very valuable you know! I can't just go handing it out for free!”
 
He phased out, leaving his voice to continue behind. “See you soon, Miss Filia!”
 
Filia gazed at the spot where he had been standing a moment ago as it now stood bathed in the rays of the risen sun. “Thank you, Xelloss.”