Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Slayers Labyrinth ❯ A New Friend ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Slayers Labyrinth
A Slayers/Labyrinth Crossover
By Sakura

Chapter Seven
A New Friend

The two of them continued to walk backwards through the hedge maze, but made no progress at all. They came across several dead ends and somehow always ended up at the only visible exit, which had been the urn from where they entered. "You know, maybe that 'Auntie Aqua' wasn't exactly all there," said the red haired girl.
"You're just figuring that out NOW?" retorted her chimeric companion.
"Shut up, Stone Boy. I don't hear you coming up with any great ideas."
"Oh? I suppose you have lots?" he shot back.
Lina was livid. It was just like that fruitcake mazoku to create a maze with no other exit than the entrance. As they walked along, the castle remained in view, just out of reach. To the petite sorceress, it was like a carrot dangled in front of a stubborn donkey to make it move, and she was the donkey.
Any respect she might have had for the purple haired mazoku king dwindled away with each and every step she took. She clenched her fists at her sides as she continued walk with Zelgadis. She mentally berated herself for even considering respecting a fruitcake like him.
There she admitted it. She did have faint feelings for him. She had even thought he was handsome when he first appeared in her house. But good looks alone didn't go far with Lina once she saw what a guy was like. To tell the truth she was really beginning to regret ever making that stupid wish.
"Why did you do that?" Zelgadis said, breaking the silence and her train of thought.
"Do what?"
"Say I was your friend."
"Because you are," she said blushing slightly, "You're no exactly best friend material, but you're the only one I've got in this crazy place."
The chimera was about to shoot back a sarcastic retort, but decided to ponder on what Lina said. In fact, he was blushing and turned his head not wanting her to see. "I've never had a friend before."
The girl felt a stab of pity and was about to say something when a loud yell sounded from up ahead, causing them to freeze in their tracks. Thinking it was Xellos come to torment them some more, Zelgadis decided to give up on ever getting his money back and ran off in the opposite direction. "Keep the money, I'm not going to risk my life for it!", he said not bothering to look back.
"Hey! I thought you were my friend!" Lina yelled back at the quickly retreating chimera.
"I'm not! I'm only interested in one person, ME! I'm the only friend I need!" With that, Zelgadis disappeared around the corner they had turned earlier.
"Oh yeah?! Well, who the hell needs ya?! I'm fine by myself!" she yelled back not caring he heard her or not.
The petite sorceress strode off boldly towards the direction of the yell. Then the sound came again making her crack her thin veneer of bravado. "C'mon Lina," she said to herself in an attempt to get her courage back. "You should know by now that nothing's what it seems here. So maybe whoever or whatever's making that racket isn't as big as it sounds."
Once she regained the ability to walk, she went along the path until she came to a stone courtyard. In the center of the courtyard a young man was hanging upside down from a tree while a group of mazoku soldiers were poking at him with sticks and swords. Some of the sticks had a tiny mazoku clinging to one end and they were biting him whenever they came close. Those with the nipping sticks, held them against his body as long as they could until they were forced to dodge one of the man's wildly swinging arms.
Lina quickly ducked out of sight. 'No sense getting caught,' she thought. She was incensed. "Those namagomi!" she muttered. She couldn't bear to watch a defenseless man being tortured like that. Searching desperately for a weapon, she discovered a few loose rocks and a strange glowing sword made of light. Taking hold of the sword in one hand, she picked up a rock and aimed.
The stone hit the helmet of one of the soldiers with a loud clang. Lina winced, but sighed in relief when none of the others made any move toward her. The unfortunate mazoku's visor fell onto his face, completely blinding it. "Oi! Where'd everybody go?" he cried as he ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. His nipping stick not caring who was who bit whatever and whoever it brushed against. Soon the soldiers began to fight each other as more and more helmet visors were knocked down.
Taking advantage of the chaos, Lina charged and managed to slay a few of the mazoku with the glowing sword before the rest ran off screaming and gibbering something about a glowing monster of death. "Cowards," Lina said wiping a hand across her forehead.
"You poor guy," she said coming up to the hanging man. She made to cut him down, but he swatted at her causing Lina to lose her balance and land on her rear. "Hey, is that how you treat someone who's trying to help?" she scolded, brushing herself off.
The man eyed her suspiciously still not ready to trust anyone. He growled then made another swipe at her. Lina quickly stepped out of the way then glared at him. "Fine. If you wanna stay there, it's fine with me," she spat, totally annoyed.
He regarded the girl for a few more moments then went over his choices. "Um... could you get me down?" he pleaded.
Lina regarded the hanging man carefully. Experience taught her that most of the people in the labyrinth couldn't be trusted. 'I hope I can trust you, ' she thought as she twisted her head to look in his face. He had long blond hair, which was hanging upside down as well. He was dressed in bright blue armor and his blue eyes had the vacant and innocent expression of the village idiot. "Listen you'd better not attack me if I let you down," she warned.
"Please get me down," he begged not liking the feeling of all his blood rushing to his head.
"Well you don't look dangerous. I hope I'm right this time," she said. Taking the sword, she chanted a levitation spell and floated to where the rope was attached to a branch, cutting through with one clean stroke.
The man landed with a shout. The girl eyed him warily and he brushed himself off. "Itai," he said as he rubbed his head. "Thanks... um -" he looked at her, not remembering if she'd introduced herself or not.
"You're welcome. I'm Lina," she said floating down again but stayed a bit away still unsure of his true nature.
"Lina," he said, his brow crossing as he did his best to commit it to memory. He was terrible with names. "I'm..." He sat down and began to think again. Suddenly he punched his hand and shot back up startling her. "I'm Gourry!" he said sticking a hand out.
'Poor guy really must have hit his head bad,' she thought as she shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Gourry." She returned to looking around and saw that the courtyard she'd been led to was yet another dead end. Sighing she turned back to her latest companion. "I hate to sound rude here, but I've really gotta be going."
"Oh where are you going, Lina?" he asked completely curious.
"Wouldn't you like to know?" she muttered. "I don't suppose you know how to get to the castle do you?"
"What castle?" he asked with all the innocence of a child.
Grabbing the blond, she sighed exasperatedly and pointed. "THAT castle! The one that's right in front of us baka! Don't tell me you never heard of the mazoku king!"
"There's a mazoku king? I didn't know that? Is he rich?"
Completely stressed out now, Lina let go of him only to fireball the unfortunate Gourry. 'It must be that time of the month,' he thought forgetting that a sorceress lost her magic when their time showed up. "I'm really sorry Lina, but I really didn't know there was a castle here until you told me," he said extremely sorry. After all both his mother and grandmother INSISTED that he be nice to girls no matter how mean they were.
Seeing the fearful look on her new friend's face, Lina put the sword down, which he grabbed and put it away in its sheath. "It's okay, Gourry. I'm just having a REALLY bad day. Anyway, I doubt ANYONE knows how to get to the castle." She then looked around the courtyard again and noticed that where there was a dead end, two doors now stood. "Why am I not surprised?" she muttered more to herself than the man beside her who was now examining them with equal curiosity.
Going up to one she saw that the knocker was in the shape of a human head with a ring for knocking stuck in its ears. What surprised her about the knocker was that it had spiky purple hair that stuck out at the sides and its eyes were not the same color. One was purple while the other was gold and was a mazoku eye. A red jewel was embedded in its forehead. "It's very rude to stare, oujo-san," it said startling her.
"Um, sorry. I didn't know you were alive," she said.
"What? Speak up!" he said, being deaf from having a ring thrust into his ears.
A mumbling came from the other door and they now turned to look at it. As with the previous door, this one had a knocker, but unlike the other it was a head of a young woman with short black hair and blue eyes. A ring was in her mouth and she mumbled again, trying to talk while having the huge thing in her mouth. Pulling the ring from her mouth, Lina asked the knocker, "What did you say?"
Letting out a sigh of relief, the knocker licked her lips before replying. "You can't talk to him, he can't hear you. WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! My poor Rezo-sama!!" She began to wail uncontrollably.
"What? What are you talking about over there? Speak up!" shouted the Rezo knocker. "You'd better not be insulting Eris," he warned, but none of them paid any attention.
Taking out a hanky, Gourry held it to Eris' nose. "Um, here," he said not wanting to see a girl cry.
"Arigatou," said the knocker and blew her nose into the hanky, causing various birds and creatures to scamper away at the loud trumpeting sound. The blond took back his hanky and wrung it out before putting it back in his armor.
Once the knocker had composed herself, Lina asked Eris the burning question that was on her mind. "Where do these doors go?"
"Gee, I have no idea," Eris replied. "I only wanted to be with Rezo-sama so I didn't ask about the details of the job. We're only the knockers."
"Oh," the red haired girl said crestfallen. She tried to open the door by turning the knob, but it wouldn't budge. It seemed to be locked. "How do you open these things?"
"Mumble, mumble, mumble," complained Rezo. "Doesn't anyone know how to speak clearly anymore?"
Seeing the Eris knocker was about to cry again, Lina quickly repeated her question. "Look, I've really gotta get out of here, how do you open the doors?"
"Knock and the door will open," Eris replied on the verge of tears. Meanwhile, Gourry, being bored, had stuck the ring into his mouth and was now happily grinning away.
"Gimme that!" Lina said. "Yeesh what a moron!" She then promptly attempted to replace the ring back in its owner's mouth. Distracted by the impending doom of having a ring thrust into her mouth, the knocker clamped it shut as tight as she could. "Aw c'mon! I wanna knock!" said the sorceress.
A slight chuckle came from the other knocker. "Doesn't want that ring back in her mouth, eh? Can't say I blame her," he said.
"We'll see about that," Lina said, smiling evilly and making not only Gourry, but the Eris knocker nervous as well.
"Um, what are you going to do, Lina?" asked the blond.
"This." Lina held the ring in front of the knocker's mouth as she promptly pinched her nose, blocking off the air. Eris held her breath as long as she could and was beginning to turn as purple as Rezo's hair. Not wanting to die of asphyxiation, the knocker finally opened her mouth and let out her breath. Seizing the chance, the petite sorceress quickly shoved the ring back in place and knocked. "Sorry about that," she said as the door opened.
"Don wuwy I'm used do id," said Eris, the ring muffling her voice.
"Well see ya around Gourry," Lina said going through the doorway not noticing the blond was now following her like a little lost puppy dog. She saw she was now in a forest and the castle seemed to be a bit closer, but still loomed out of reach. "Well I hope it's all downhill from here," she said.
As if on cue, the ground beneath Gourry opened up and he disappeared just as he was about to yell for help. Hearing something behind her, Lina spun around. "Gourry?" she asked, looking to see if the blond man had followed her. There was no one there. Only trees and no sign of the door she'd come from. "All right, if that's the way you wanna play, Xellos," she said and began her trek through the forest.

*****

Sakura: Well, here's chapter seven folks. I had to combine two chapters again so it looks like I'll finish this sooner than I thought.

Xel: Aw and I was hoping I could have some more fun with Lina-chan. ;_;

Sakura: Poor baby. (does the dub Zoisite laugh)

Xel: Been watching the dubs again miko-sama?

Sakura: Only the S season. Anyhoo I finally got Gourry in here. Whoo-hoo!

Gourry: Um, excuse me who are you again?

Sylphiel: Gourry dear I need to help with the cooking.

Gourry: Oh, ok Sylphiel.

Xel: Gourry dear?

Sakura: Don't ask. I can't wait to get the next chapter out. It's gonna be soooooo much fun to write. (eg)

Xel: Oh? Do I finally get some?

Sakura: (whacks him with Firia's mace) Xellos no Hentai!!!! Let's say that a VERY special friend of Lina shows up to torture, um I mean visit.

Xel: Hm... I wonder who that could be.

Sakura: Sore wa himitsu desu. ^_^ (VERY eg) (does her best Naga laugh) Oooh I soooo excited!! Stay tuned. I should have the next part up next month (L-sama willing). 'Til then kiddies, same bat time, same bat channel.

C&C always welcome at Firia@linainverse.net. Come on minna! You guys haven't been writing much. So pleeeeeeaaaaaaase tell me what you think! I'd looooooove to hear from you. ^_^