Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Xellos and Filia: A Twisted Fate ❯ Evil VS. Good! Clash of Dark and Light! ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Part VII: Evil VS. Good! Clash of Dark and Light!

When Xellos could see again, it wasn't just sight that came back to him. But suddenly he felt a rush of energy that he had never felt before. It was if he had suddenly been recharged. And just as suddenly as the light had come, so did the reason why his strength and energy.

Because he loved.

That was what he could never figure out. Why Lina and the others had been so powerful despite the fact they were human. Because they loved. They had something they cared for, they adored, they wanted to protect. That kind of selfless act doesn't make you fish-people bait as he had always thought. It makes you superhuman.

Xellos pitied Lord Beastmaster. If she had only seen it earlier, perhaps she could have prevented Gaav's death. Because she would have been fighting to protect something she loved. And that feeling can make even humans like gods.

He shot up into the air with renewed energy, an evil smirk on his face. And yet, even though he felt this way and understood it, it didn't change who he was. He still wanted to torment Filia and wreak havoc and destruction on a poor village when he was bored. He still wanted to trick people and use them as pawns in his own games. But now he could do that all and have Filia as his forever…

Because he'd admitted one simple truth.

It was damnably easy and difficult at the same time.

Suddenly a shot of awareness shot through Xellos. He. Could. Sense. Her. He took off in Filia's direction, finally able to sense her presence and located her. Damn you, Lord Beastmaster, Xellos thought. You did have under a ward so I could not sense her presence. And now that I've admitted it, the ward is dissolved. Clever girl. But I should expect no less from my lord.

A village slowly came into view, and it practically reeked of Filia. He could sense Val as well and-

Xellos suddenly froze in mid-flight. There was something else too. Something he couldn't name. Two more heartbeats he could sense as if they were a part of him. He shook off the feeling for the moment and continued in the village's direction.

Whatever these other two being he sensed were, he would find out soon enough.

Xellos flew into the village and perched himself on top of the highest roof. He looked down into the town. Market day? He smirked. He was feeling lighthearted and mischievous in a way he hadn't felt in months. What better way to get Filia's attention than wreaking a little bit of havoc? He vanished into the air.

The next sound heard was the shriek of a woman and a resounding smack.

* * *

Filia felt the tug on the cord around her wrist. She looked and saw little Val trying to wander off like usual. He turned around, his big eyes looking up at her as he giggled. She rolled her eyes and the rope that held him to her a little tug, indicating for him to come to her. He stretched out his wings and with some effort managed to lift himself into the air and float toward her.

She couldn't help but smile. He had gotten so much better at walking and flying during the last few months. And his babble had become intelligible words as well. She sniffled. Her little Val was growing up so quickly.

"Baby-th!" Val said was she took him into her arms. He placed his little hands on her swollen stomach and giggled.

Filia laughed. "Yes. Babies. In a couple of months they'll be out and about and you can play with them, Val."

"Pway!"

She chuckled and set Val down on the floor.

"MISS!"

Filia turned and saw Jillas running toward her, the sack on his back spilling apples as he ran toward her. She blinked in confusion for a moment till he reached her. He heaved a few times for breath.

"Uh, Jillas…" She saw his eye look up at her curiously. She pointed to the sack. "Everything's coming out the other end."

He looked back, saw it was true, and gave a little squeal as he tried to pick up the food on the floor and catch what was still falling out. Filia giggled as she watched him for a moment and then began to help him. Jillas was cursing as he did it.

"What is it you wanted to tell me, Jillas?" she said after a bit.

He shook his head. "I'm not sure how to say this, miss. But weird things have been happening in the market. Cart wheels breakin', food bein' swapped around without people noticin', food fights at the tavern, skirts flyin'. I'm just saying that maybe you shouldn't go to the market when all this weird stuff is going on."

Something became unsettled in the back of Filia's mind. She shook off the feeling and smiled at Jillas. "Don't worry, Jillas. I'm sure nothing too terrible is going to happen. Seems to me that it's all really just some petty tricks to get reactions and to rile people up. Probably just some pranksters being silly."

"Well, let's just say, miss, that them's some tricky tricksters, and there's probably lots of them, and I don't want you to get hurt. That's all. I gots a bad feelin' 'bout this."

The disturbing feeling in the back of Filia's mind went straight to her gut. The twins in her belly suddenly seemed to be dancing around excitedly. Filia felt a familiar shiver run down her spine. She straightened and whirled her head around, looking at every shadow. Maybe it was just Jillas' little comment that had her paranoid, but she wasn't going to take the risk. She pulled out her mace.

"Maybe you're right, Jillas. I'll go back to the house. You finish running the errands, and when it seems like the pranksters have stopped let me know so I can leave the house. Don't want to put the children in danger." Little Val clapped his hands together excitedly.

"Will do, Miss!"

Filia bundled up Val into her arms, removed the cord around her wrist and headed back toward the house. The feeling of dread was giving her feet flight. No…she didn't think… But was it possible? Was it possible that he had found her at last?

She ran into her house, the chimes jingling wildly as she entered. She startled Garbos, but didn't give him another glance. She went up stairs as quickly as possible, considering her size.

But the moment Filia rushed into the kitchen, she froze.

Sitting on her comfy kitchen chair, reading the local gazette, was Xellos. His staff leaned against the chair, his feet resting on the matching foothold. Val slowly slipped from Filia's arms. She didn't even notice. Her breath had stopped, but her heart was beating so hard, it felt like it was going to fly out of her chest. She could see little Val scramble up to where Xellos was, a smile on his face, his laughter coming out in spurts.

Val grabbed onto the edge of Xellos' sleeve (that's all he could reach on that side of the chair) and pulled. Filia blanched when Xellos lowered the paper. She looked around wildly, to see if there was something that could hide her. Who was she kidding?! With her girth she wouldn't be able to hide behind an oak tree!

"Why! If it isn't little Val!"

Filia stiffened and turned her attention to Xellos and Val. He picked up the child and placed Val on his lap, but hadn't looked up at her yet. Maybe she should leave the room…? She began to inch her way back towards the door…

"And where are you going, Filia?"

She stopped moving and watched, with mounting dread as he slowly looked up from Val to her, a smile on his face. Her feet inched back, ready to run. She watched as he looked at her and his eyes went from the usual smiling closed ones, to wide with surprise and with shock.

Filia made a break for it.

She ran as fast as she could down the stairs and about halfway down cursed her pregnancy for the millionth time. Because of it her powers had been a little diminished so she could not teleport away to safety. But where would she go anyway?

Once down she quickly cleared the store. Her destination was outside and as far away as possible. She thought she heard Garbos shout "What's wrong, Miss?" but wasn't entirely sure and she didn't have the time to contemplate it. She headed straight for the door. But before she could get there, Xellos was suddenly right in front of her, holding a giggling Val. The child probably thought it was a funny game.

She skidded to a halt, made a complete one-eighty and began to haul ass back the way she came. She only managed to get two steps away before Xellos grabbed her arm and teleported them away. He left Val in Garbos' confused arms.

Filia blinked and noticed right away they were on the roof of her house.

"So it was you two that I couldn't figure out. I was wondering."

She froze. Xellos was kneeling before her, his head on her swollen stomach. She snuck a glance downward to him and the smile on his face turned the walls around her heart to muck. Filia closed her eyes tightly, trying to block out the vision, and trying to silence the aching calls of her heart.

She felt his hands on her belly as he lightly caressed it. She felt pathetic. This was all he had to do and she was practically putty in his arms already. Filia forcefully got a grip on her senses and took a large step back. Xellos seemed slightly startled and she took advantage of it, making at least five feet of space between them. He slowly straightened, looking putout. A vein in Filia's head popped. What the hell did he have to be upset about?! It was then that she realized she was still holding her mace. Why hadn't she used it yet? It could at least buy her enough time to get away! She gripped it with two hands and held it up defensively.

Xellos' eyebrows shot up.

"And what are you planning to do with that, Filia?"

Filia didn't dare take her eyes off of him. She wondered if she could fly in this condition. She took another step back. "Whatever I have to. I don't want you near me."

She waited for a smart comeback, or for him to teleport beside her, or for him to smile. He did none of the above. Xellos just stood there, a serious expression on his face, despite the closed eyes. A gust of wind blew beside them, fluttering her hair around her face and her white dress around her large body, and cooling her heating flesh. She saw Xellos' cape and hair billow, but she didn't let it distract her. Her hands were trembling enough as it was.

"Filia…"

Filia shook her head, interrupting him. She did not want to hear what he had to say. She was too afraid to find out. "No, Xellos. I don't know how you found us after so long, but I suggest you leave. I've just managed to get my life back together. I bought this house from Mr. Milgusia's wife the other day, it was her family's old summer home. My shop has just started to prosper, I know everyone in town and they know me and they like me. Val has gotten used to you not being around anymore. I've worked very hard to get to where I am. I'm not going to have you screw up with your craziness. Go find someone else to torment."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Filia." Xellos took a step toward her.

Her eyes narrowed and she took another step back. "Why?" She shook her head. "Why not? Or did Beastmaster specifically order you to torment me? Just leave me alone, Xellos. I don't want to deal with you anymore!"

"Lord Beastmaster didn't order me to torment you, Filia. In fact, she made it very difficult for me to find you. I've been looking for you for the last six months," he said.

"Why?! Why look for me for that long? You disappeared first, Xellos! I've just gotten my life back to normal! Go away again and this time stay away!"

Xellos sighed. "I believe you already said that, Filia dear." He took another step toward her. "But I'm not planning on leaving, not after I finally found you."

"I don't want you near me, Xellos!" she screamed taking another step back, her hands shaking. Xellos stopped. Filia took a deep breath. She shook her head. "I do NOT want to deal with you anymore, or ever again! I've had enough of you!"

Xellos finally smiled and lifted an eyebrow. "Oh, really? Well, so sorry, Filia, but you do have a couple of things that belong to me, you know."

She shook her head. That smile worried her. "No, I don't. I threw out all your stuff when we left!"

He pointed at her expanded belly. "I mean those two, Filia."

Filia put a protective hand on her belly. Her heart constricted. She didn't know what he was planning, but whatever it was, she wasn't going to let him have his way. She gripped her mace more fiercely and held it front of her defensively. "I don't know what you're talking about, Xellos. They belong to me. They've got nothing to do with you and they will have nothing to do with you as long as I can help it."

Xellos' smile faded and he opened his eyes. She met his piercing gaze but didn't flinch. She had to watch him. Any little move of his could spell disaster. She couldn't let him get the upper hand.

"Are you planning on denying me my children, Filia?"

His cold tone sent a chill up her spine, but she didn't look away. She gave him a smile that she hoped was as cold. "Who ever said they were yours, Xellos? I don't remember ever making that claim."

He sneered. "I can sense the Mazoku blood in them, Filia."

"There are plenty of good-looking Mazoku to go around, Xellos. What makes you think that one of them didn't decide to invade this town and have his way with me the way you did? I've been used and cast aside by you already. Why can't another Mazoku do the same?"

Xellos froze. His sneer faded and his eyes closed once more. His face was bland again. "You think I cast you aside?"

Filia rolled her eyes. "I'm not even going to address that inane comment."

Xellos took another step toward her. "Filia…"

"Don't-Ah!" Filia had gone to take another step away from him, but the flat of the roof had come to an end. Her foot slipped on the tiles and she went flying back, toward the ground. She closed her eyes. She didn't have enough time to open up her wings or transform back into a dragon-!

"Ah?!" Filia didn't hit stone ground like she thought she was going to. She felt arms around her shoulders and under her knees. She blinked and saw a smiling Xellos above her. Her face flamed up. Abruptly, she remembered the last time he had her in such a position. Filia began to struggle. "Don't you dare drop me, you stupid Mazoku!"

Xellos landed on the floor gently and chuckled. "You actually think I'd do that to you while you're in this condition?" He put her down on her feet.

Filia quickly moved away, putting a safe distance between them. Her face still felt aflame. "You did it once. It wouldn't surprise me if you did it again."

"But I didn't."

She blinked and realized he was right. But before she could regain her composure, Xellos had teleported right in front of her, eliminating the space she had just made. Filia only managed a small "eep" before his sealed his lips over hers. She shut her eyes tightly, her hands curling into fists. Her mace had gone flying, but that didn't stop Filia from retaliating. She struggled to ignore the softness of his lips and forcefully shoved him away. She barely glanced at Xellos' surprised face. She immediately began to wipe her lips on her sleeve. Filia gave him a scornful look.

"I'm not your toy, Xellos. And I refuse to be. And neither will Val or my children be your toys. We don't need you and we don't want you. Go away."

Filia whirled around and marched into her house. She didn't dare look back.

* * *

He didn't go away.

Xellos was there every morning for breakfast. He sat in her chair, read the latest paper, ate breakfast with them, and complimented her cooking. He'd then play with Val and follow Filia around while she did her errands. He'd stay for lunch. He'd threaten rude customers and terrified the local pranksters. He would stay for dinner. It had been two weeks since Xellos had arrived and already he was turning everything upside down. The people in town had been watching him following her around while she did her errands, seeing him pat her stomach (to her extreme irritation), ask her about what she would be making for dinner, and helping her pick out supplies. When she managed to get away from him for a bit, people would ask her if he was her husband and why hadn't they met him earlier. Meanwhile, behind closed doors, he tormented her, Jillas, and Garbos. Jillas and Garbos would rise to the bait, but before it got physical, Filia would shoot them a withering glance that had them calming down. Her tactic with dealing with Xellos was just to ignore him completely. No matter what he did, she refused to respond.

She was digging holes in her lips from having to bite back all the comebacks she wanted to say. Her fingers were itching for her mace so she could slam him with it. But Filia refused to destroy her new home because of him. So, no matter what he did, she did not retaliate.

Luckily, after dinner he would always leave. He never came to her at night. Filia didn't know whether to be glad or depressed.

Glad, you moron. Glad! This makes it easier to rebuild those walls around your heart! Filia snorted to herself. Yeah, those self-same walls that toppled every time he gave her a sultry look or marveled at her cooking. The same walls that turned to muck every time she caught him playing with Val.

What the hell was he planning?!

Filia cleaved the honey ham in two with the butcher knife, startling Jillas who was doing the dishes. A vein pulsed. Tick, tick, tick. What was the stupid, sneaky Mazoku planning? Was he trying to wear her down by showing up everyday? By making her grow used to him again so she would miss him? To worm his way back into her life?

Tick, tick.

She wiped her hands on her apron and marched over to Val's bedroom. It was high time she had a word with Xellos. She thought the silent treatment would eventually drive him off, or at the very least, he would get bored. But no. He stuck around, almost as if her battle to stay silent was amusing. Well, now he was going to get-

Gone.

Blink, blink.

Filia looked around Val's room and noticed neither Xellos nor the child. She looked at the clock on the right wall. It was Val's playtime. Her brow furrowed in confusion. Xellos would always play with Val in here at this time.

Dread crept up Filia's spine. What if…? Oh no!

"Val? Val! VAL?!" she cried. There was no response. Her body froze. She shook her head and tried to calm her breathing. Calm down. First search the store and the house before freaking out. Filia rushed down stairs.

She asked Garbos, but he hadn't seen either of them. He helped her search the store to no avail. She raced back up the stairs and asked Jillas if he had seen them. At his negative response, she told him to help her search the house. Nothing.

"Miss, don't worry, now. I'll go check the town. They could've just gone outside to play," Jillas said and rushed out.

Filia wandered into the hallway, her body trembling. Where was Val? Where had Xellos taken the poor baby? What was he going to do?

Suddenly she heard a giggle from above her. Filia blinked and looked up. But all she saw was the ceiling. She heard the giggle again, but this time it came from her room. She ran into her bedroom and looked around, but found no trace of either Xellos, nor Val. "Maybe I'm hallucinating because I'm so worried…"

Another giggle.

Filia looked up at the ceiling again and her eyes widened. At the corner of her room there was a rectangular panel that looked like it was moveable. She blinked. What on…? An attic? She slowly approached it and heard the giggle again. She saw a small latch at the end of the panel.

She tried to reach up and grab it, but couldn't reach. Filia gathered energy and levitated up just enough so she could grab hold of it and pull it down. Stairs dropped down from the other side of the panel. Filia could hear the giggling clearly now and rushed up the stairs as quickly as she was able.

Filia froze when she saw the room. Xellos and Val were playing in the center of the room, where there was a large double rocking chair. On either side of the chair were two small beds, draped in yellow and purple and blue sheets. What looked like pieces of the sheets hung around the four windows in the room, and on the far left of the room was a collection of the most gruesome and disturbing looking stuffed creatures Filia had ever seen. She blinked at the stuffed animals and then shook her head. She could have sworn she saw a set of Lina, Gourry, Amelia and Zelgadis plushies. She turned away from the stuffed creatures and looked at the rest of the room. At the rear right corner there was a large wardrobe, and at the rear left corner there was a bookshelf. She blinked and turned her attention back to Xellos and Val. Neither seemed to have noticed her presence.

She knew better.

"What is this?!"

Filia saw Xellos take his attention from the child to turn to her. He smiled his usual wicked smile. "Why, hello, Filia! Speaking to me at last?"

Tick, tick. "Don't start with me, Xellos. What the hell is this?"

Xellos looked around the room for a moment before returning his attention to her. Val waved at her happily. Filia began to make her way towards them. "Isn't it obvious?"

"To you, perhaps, you twisted Mazoku." She wrinkled her nose at the strange stuffed animals as she passed by them. One looked suspiciously like Shrabranigdo. She turned back to Xellos and stopped directly in front him. "But to me it isn't obvious!"

Xellos reached out and rubbed her stomach. "It's the twin's bedroom, of course."

"Baby-th room!" Val shouted happily, clapping his hands.

Filia blinked. "The babies' room?"

Xellos stood up and gave her Val. "Yes. I noticed, despite the fact that your well along, you hadn't made a room for them. I found the attic was quite suitable, and right above your room."

Val patted Filia's belly. She just looked at Xellos, stupefied. "I was planning on getting them cradles and setting them up in my room."

Xellos turned to her with a slightly perplexed look on his face. He then brought his hand to chin in thought. "Hmmm…" He then shrugged. "That works too." He smiled at her.

Filia just stared at him. She shook her head, and then narrowed her eyes at him. "Xellos. What are you planning? Why did you do this? What do you hope to gain, you sneaky Mazoku?"

Xellos waggled his index finger in front of her face. He opened one eye. "Sore wa himitsu desu."

Pop. Pop, pop, pop, pop. Filia clenched her fist, veins popping all over her head. One giant vein pulsed on her fist. Her eyes snapped open, blazing at him. "That's NOT the answer I wanted!!" Her fist went flying, hitting Xellos in the jaw, and sending him through the window behind him.

Filia blinked. Val was still in her arms, laughing and bouncing. All the tension that had been bottled up in Filia for the last two weeks suddenly seemed to seep away.

"Mmf. Mmmffhh. Heh… Heh, heh. Hehehehehe… Ha ha ha… Hahahahaha!" Laughter bubbled out of Filia, until she laughing so hard tears formed. She slowly fell to her knees, Val slipping from her arms. He sat on the floor and just watched as Filia laughed and laughed.

Filia saw Xellos sitting on her chair in the kitchen when she finally recouped and had come down to finish dinner. He looked a trifle rumpled, but that was all that seemed wrong with him. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Garbos and Jillas looking at them from the stairs. She walked over to the table and put Val in his high chair. She felt Xellos looking at her. She abruptly turned around and met his slightly open evil eyes.

She gave him her wickedest smile.

It gave her a rush of satisfaction to see him look startled. His eyes closed again.

She walked up to him and promptly sat down on him. Xellos' muffled "oomph" also brought a rush of satisfaction that had her grinning.

"Filia… You're heavy."

"Good. After all, you're the one who made me like this. It's what you deserve." She looked down at him. "Xellos?"

A large sweatdrop slid from head as he looked up at her. "Yes…?"

Filia grinned evilly at him. "I love you."

She burst out laughing when he turned a pale shade of green.