Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale Of Tails ❯ Snap Out Of It! ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

My thanks go out to another author by the screen name of `Daddy's lil girl' on fanfiction.net. Why? Read on to find out…

Chapter 7: Snap Out Of It!

Things were bad this evening. Tails was insane, most of the freedom fighters were mindless zombies, Metal Tails had his own agenda for destruction, and now the remaining heroes had to pick up a mystery from the airport. Everyone was more than a little stressed, but they had to keep it to themselves. The last thing they needed was an argument…

Billy: A surprise? I'm surprised the airport is still operating.

Shadow: It barely is. The crisis has them pretty messed up.

Metal-2: Then I will hurry and retrieve it.

Metal-2 rushed out the door and took off before Amy could stop him and tell him just what to look for. The robot figured he needed to find a package of some sort, and flew quickly toward the airport. Looking beneath him, Metal-2 saw the mob drawing very close to his target building.

Metal-2: I should hurry…Wait a minute…How did Shadow make it past them? Oh well…

The mob of zombies was crossing the parking lot by the time Metal-2 arrived. The robot scanned the area, and didn't find any packages. He didn't have time to look further since he heard the scream of someone down below. One of the zombies had moved quickly and was about to attack a white fox.

Metal-2: New problem!

The robot changed priorities, and landed hard right behind the zombie. Metal-2 grabbed it by the shoulders and tossed it to the ground. Stepping over it, he approached the young fox. There was a black stripe on her tail, and she had a few black highlights elsewhere with black, gloveless hands. She nearly jumped at the sight of the fearsome-looking robot. After a brief moment, they recognized each other.

Metal-2: Jenean?!

Jenean: Metal?!

Both: What are you doing here?!

Jenean: I here to visit you guys.

Metal-2: And I'm here to rescue you.

Jenean: What's going on in this city? Why does everybody look like Frankenstein?!

Metal-2: It's a long story, and we don't exactly have the time at the moment.

Metal-2 pointed at the closing mob, and Jenean agreed.

Jenean: They're everywhere…How do we get through them?

Metal-2: We don't. We go over `em.

Jenean: …Over…them…?

Metal-2: You need not worry. I haven't dropped anyone yet.

The robot carefully picked her up, and lifted off into the air. They flew high over the zombie mob, and Jenean kept her eyes closed the whole way. She partially opened one eye after a few moments, and saw that they were still in the air. They had passed the mob.

Jenean: Hey, Metal?

Metal-2: Yes?

Jenean: Uh…we passed those people…why are we still flying?

Metal-2: It's faster.

Metal-2 increased his speed, heading for the base. After a minute or so, they arrived. Metal-2 carefully landed, and put Jenean down. Happy to be on the solid ground again, the fox ran inside, followed by Metal-2.

Amy: Well, it looks like you found her.

Metal-2: So, Jenean was the surprise.

Bunnie: Yeah, poor Tails was lookin' kinda down lately, so we thought a visit from Jenean would cheer him up. Of course, it might be too late now.

Jenean: Too late? What do you mean?

They explained the situation to her, each person putting in their side of the story. Much time had passed, and it was getting late once again. A lot had happened that day, and they all needed rest, so they went to bed. Metal-2 stood on the roof of the base that night, more protective than usual. Scotty was still asleep the next morning, but they knew he would need food. Bunnie woke him up while Amy prepared some hot soup.

Amy: Here, take this. You need your strength.

The sleepy hedgehog opened his eyes and sat up, accepting the tray that Amy handed him. After eating, he noticed something strange.

Scotty: Hey, guys…Somethin' must be wrong with me…I think I'm hallucinating…

Metal-2: What makes you say that?

Scotty: I could swear that Shadow and Jenean are here. They look so real…

Metal-2: Uh, Scotty…They are here.

Scotty: Huh?

Metal-2: They both arrived after you fell asleep.

Scotty: Oh…That reminds me…Did we win?

Metal-2: Win what?

Scotty: The fight yesterday. After I pulled off that attack, I couldn't tell if it worked.

Metal-2: It worked. Quite well, in fact. I believe the pieces are still outside.

Scotty: Cool…Where's my sword?

Metal-2 reached over to the table beside the couch and handed Scotty his sword. The hedgehog put it back on his belt, and sat up.

Metal-2: You still need to rest, Scotty.

Scotty; I can't…Not now…Not with Sony out there…

Scotty tried to stand up, but couldn't. Sitting back on the couch and breathing heavily, he was displeased at his situation. The hedgehog's body ached all over, his muscles sore from exhaustion.

Scotty: Metal…We have to find them…

Metal-2: I know. The others are working on a plan that might solve the problem.

Scotty: Hurry…

Metal-2: You rest. Let us handle things.

Scotty reluctantly agreed, and lied back down. Metal-2 left to check on the progress of the others.

Metal-2: Any luck?

Dr. Arrow: Well, perhaps. We know we need to go after Tails's mind.

Billy: But we tried that, and we couldn't get through to him.

Amy: But now, we think we've got something that might work.

Metal-2: And that would be…

Jenean: Me!

Metal-2: I don't follow.

Billy: We're going to try and appeal to Tails's emotional side. Maybe he'll listen to Jenean.

Metal-2: I see. Interesting plan. When do we go?

Dr. Arrow: As soon as possible.

Jenean: I'm ready now!

Bunnie: Let's go.

Billy: We've got work to do.

Amy: Then why are we here?

Metal-2: Time to move out. Doctor, can you monitor Scotty. Make sure he doesn't hurt himself trying to get up.

Dr. Arrow: Let me worry about him. You go, and get Tails back.

Shadow: Will do, doctor.

They left the base, and ran for Tails's location. After several minutes, they arrived at the tunnel. It was dark inside, as always, but they managed to make it through. They finally arrived at the door that led to Tails's chamber.

Metal-2: I should warn you, Jenean, you may not like what you're about to see.

Jenean: I know, and I'll try to stay calm.

They entered the door, and Jenean gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. She stared at Tails, hanging eerily in the tube, wires connected to him. After a few moments, she had come to accept the image, and carefully approached him.

Jenean: Tails…

They saw Tails's ears twitch as his head moved to look at Jenean. His voice came over the speakers.

Tails: Jenean?

There was a spark of feeling in his voice. The others realized it, and perked up a bit.

Billy: Talk to him, Jenean.

Jenean: Tails…What are you doing?

Tails: …I…I am solving the problems of the world.

Jenean: No you're not. Your only causing more problems.

Tails: …You don't understand. Join me…

Jenean: Tails, listen to me. This is wrong. People need their free will.

Tails: But some people-

Jenean: SOME people. Most of them are good, and don't need or deserve this.

Tails: I don't want anyone to experience the grief I've gone through. I'm doing this for them.

Tears began to well up in Jenean's eyes.

Jenean: Shut up! Just shut up! You don't know what you're saying!

Tails: Jenean…

Amy whispered in Metal-2's ear.

Amy: I think he's breaking…

Metal-2: <nods>

Jenean: Tails, if it weren't for the bad things in life, nobody would ever know the good things!

Tails: …

Jenean: Nobody wants a perfect world if it means not being able to actually live their lives!

Tails: But…

Jenean: You have to stop this now…Please…

Metal-2: You cannot possibly know how much pain and suffering you're causing.

Tails: I was doing it for them…

Jenean: Everyone makes mistakes. Please, come down from there.

Tails: No, it's too late now. I'm…sorry…

Billy: That's not true, Tails. We can fix this.

Tails: …I…

Jenean: Please!

There was a long, uneasy pause. Tails's head slowly looked to the ground. Another pause followed as Jenean began to believe that maybe she had failed.

Metal-2: I can't take it anymore!

The robot stomped up beside Jenean. He turned to her, looking down at the fox.

Metal-2: Jenean, sometimes you have to use force. Stand back, everyone!

Amy: Metal, what are you doing?!

They backed away as the robot flew upwards to see eye-to-eye with Tails. Metal-2 flew backwards, to the wall of the room, and then burst forwards, slamming into the tube in an area below the fox.. The thick glass cracked a bit.

Bunnie: He's gonna break it open!

Jenean: Metal!

The robot ignored them, and backed up again. He tackled the glass a second time, and it cracked even more. Tails could be seen looking at him from inside. Metal-2's ear and shoulder pad were dented and bent from hitting the glass, and he backed up a third time.

Metal-2: I'm going to rescue my friend, whether he likes it or not!

Metal-2 shot forward again, impacting the tube with tremendous force. The glass began to shatter, and pieces of the outer area fell to the ground. Metal-2 flew back again, more damaged than before.

Metal-2: Get out of here.

They did, and Metal-2 rammed the tube a fourth time, hurting himself. The glass broke and cracked, and more pieces fell to the floor. A thin stream of liquid poured out as the robot backed up again.

Metal-2: One more should do it…

Metal-2 plowed into the tube, shattering the glass and creating a massive hole. The liquid rushed out of the tube, collecting on the floor as Metal-2 impacted the inside of the opposite side of the glass. The robot's flight path had snapped the wires that hung beneath Tails.

Tails: What are you doing?! My link to the outside!

Metal-2: Your link is your own senses!

Metal-2 grabbed the wires above Tails, and ripped them away. Above, in the streets of the city, the crowds stopped as their brains stopped receiving instructions. The people began to slightly regain control of themselves. In the refuge base, Scotty's eyes lit up.

Scotty: Sony! I can feel her spirit again!

The doctor rushed in, thinking something might have been wrong.

Dr. Arrow: Scotty! What is it?

Scotty: I'm not sure…It's like…all of a sudden, I can sense the minds of those in the city again. I can sense Sony and the others…

Dr. Arrow nodded, as if he were perhaps feeling it, too. Scotty stood up, shakily and in pain. The doctor knew it wouldn't do any good to try and stop him. Scotty ran out the door, aching all over.

Scotty: Sony…I'm coming…

Back underground, Metal-2 grabbed the mask that was on Tails's face and ripped it off.

Metal-2: Tails…Take in the world with your own senses.

Tails: …

The fox looked around, seeing the horrible machinery he had built.

Tails: Oh no…What have I become?

Metal-2 ripped the rest of the devices off of Tails, and caught the fox as he fell. They carefully left the tube, and slowly went out the door, letting out a small stream of the liquid. On the outside, Jenean stood straight up when she saw Tails free of the equipment. She grabbed the fox, hugging him tightly, and kissed him on the cheek. Tears of joy were in her eyes, and she was happy to see him again.

Jenean: Tails…I was so worried about you…

Tails: I'm really sorry…everybody…

Jenean: Forget about it. We're all together now, and that's all that matters.

Tails: <nods> Thank you…All of you…for saving me from…myself…

Jenean helped him up again, and they began to make their way out of the tunnel.

Amy: Metal, you're hurt…

Metal-2 looked up at his bent ear and down at his dented body, and then back at Amy.

Metal-2: I'll be fine.

Bunnie: Tails, are you okay? I mean, you've been through a lot.

Tails: Like Metal said, I'll be fine.

He managed to make himself smile slightly as they left the subway tunnel. Meanwhile, on the other side of the city, Scotty could tell that he was getting closer to Sonya. Ignoring his pain he pushed on, drawing nearer. Finally, he saw her, along with Sonic and the others, grouped together. Sonya looked up when she heard someone coming, and was surprised to find Scotty.

Sonya: Scotty!

Scotty: Sony!

They leapt into each other, embracing one another tightly.

Scotty: Sony, I was so worried about you! Are you okay? How do you feel?

Sonya: Hey, relax, I'm fine…A little tired, but fine.

Scotty: Come on, let's go home.

Sonic: Hey, Scott…It's uh…It's good to know you noticed the rest of us over here…

Scotty: Sorry, Sonic…guys…I was just so happy to see Sony that I-

Sonic: We know, Scott. But you're right about one thing: Let's go home.

They left, headed for the base, and happened to meet up with the others as they reached it.

Sonic: Tails! Buddy, it's good to see you again!

Tails: Hey, Sonic!

Shadow: Well well well, long time no see!

Sonic: Huh?! Shadow?! Since when were you here?

Shadow: Since yesterday.

They were all happy to be together again, and everything seemed okay. Just as they were about to enter the base, there was a sound from the sky. They all watched as none other than Metal Tails landed in front of them.

Metal Tails: So, you got your little friend back, eh? This just means I can take you all out with one strike!

It looks like all the loose ends have been tied up except for one. Stay tuned!