Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale Of Tails ❯ To The Finish ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

And now, for the conclusion!

Chapter 8: To The Finish

Metal Tails was even unhappier than normal. Tails had just been saved from a terrible fate. Scotty was still in pain, and they had all had enough of this adventure. Metal Tails held out a small device in his hand.

Metal Tails: You see this? A simple press of this button, and I will take control of everyone that was infected!

Sonic: What?! No!

Metal Tails: It's simple. My base will broadcast a signal identical to the one Tails was transmitting. Then, I'll have power of all of them, and most of you!

Sonic: Your base?!

Metal Tails: That's right. I locked up that old fool Robotnik and took over.

Metal-2: What do you want from us?

Metal Tails: I'm here to personally oversee your doom!

Tails: Oh no you're not!

All: Huh?!

Tails stood on his own, and shakily stepped forward, standing beside the others.

Tails: I know now that it's wrong to force people to obey you. And I can't allow you to use my mistake to gain the upper hand!

Sonic ran to stand in front of Tails. Metal Tails pressed the button on his device, and a few seconds later, the infected members of the Sonic crew were under his control.

Metal Tails: So, it's a fight you want, eh? How fitting that it should be you that fights me. After all, I am supposed to be a robotic you. Slaves, hold the others back while we settle this.

Those under Metal Tails's control stood in the path of the uninfected ones, separating them From Tails and his mechanical counterpart.

Tails: I'll show you what happens when you mess with my feelings, my family, my life!

Metal Tails: You're one to talk. If I recall right, you yourself messed all those things up.

Tails: Guilt can be a powerful motivator. It blurred my judgment, but now I can clearly see that the enemy isn't the freedom to do evil, but rather the evil itself. You represent that evil, and I must destroy you!

Metal Tails: You forget how easily I can crush you.

Metal-2: Tails! Let us help you!

Tails: No, this is between me and him.

Scotty: Tails, don't do this!

Tails: Please…We are gonna have this out right now…And I'd like your support.

Jenean: He's right. Let's not go against him. Tails, you can do it!

Tails smiled, looking at her. He then turned back to Metal Tails, angrily.

Tails: You here that? My friends are backing me up, whether you like it or not.

Metal Tails: You've got spunk, kid. But that won't save you now.

Metal Tails activated his jets, and began to hover a few inches above the ground. Tails duplicated the action, spinning his tails to fly.

They flew toward each other with great speed, and impacted in the middle. They grappled with each other, each trying to overpower the other one. Metal Tails was the superior fighter, but Tails's spirit burned strong within him.

Metal Tails: You're in over your head. There's no way you can win.

Tails: There's an old saying that tells that if there's a will, then there is a way. And believe me, you won't find a stronger will than mine anywhere else!

Metal Tails: Big words from a small pest.

Tails dropped from the air, releasing and sending his opponent flying over him and into the wall of the refuge base.

Tails: There are advantages to being small. You couldn't have done that!

Metal Tails pulled his head out of the wall, and turned around, facing Tails.

Metal Tails: You got lucky.

The robot activated his blasters, and fired at Tails. The fox flew into the air, evading the shots. Metal Tails went for another physical attack, flying up to meet Tails in the air. They hit each other, and came tumbling out of the sky. Tails managed to use his Tails to adjust their fall so that his opponent was headed for the ground head-first. He succeeded, despite the fact that his opponent was trying to do the same thing. They separated just before hitting the ground, but Metal Tails couldn't recover quickly enough. The robot slammed into the dirt, bending both of his ears as Tails landed nearby.

Tails: Then today must be my lucky day.

Jenean: Way to go, Tails!

The robot stood back up, facing his opponent as the dust cleared.

Metal Tails: No more playing around. You're better than I thought, but you're not good enough!

The robot armed his lasers, and fired at Tails. The fox dodged them, but it distracted him long enough for Metal Tails to fly up and grab Tails by the throat. The robot dragged his opponent back out away from the base.

Scotty: Tails!!!

Metal Tails: Here's what happens when you mess with ME!

The robot released Tails, and then punched him hard in the jaw before the fox had the chance to fall to the ground. Tails was knocked backwards by the hit, sliding across the ground.

Tails: Unh…

Tails struggled to stand up, wiping a thin line of blood from his mouth. He was halfway up when the robot tackled him again, and they went rolling through the dirt.

Metal-2: Tails! Say something!

Jenean: Oh no!

The robot jumped away, landing several yards from the fox. Tails lie motionless for a moment, but then started to get to his knees, lifting himself up with his hands. He coughed as he made it to his hands and knees. He was bruised and battered, and turned his head to face Metal Tails, who stood calmly.

Metal Tails: Not so powerful now, are you?

Tails answered by shakily standing up, holding his arm, which was scraped. He glared at his robotic opponent.

Metal Tails: Had enough yet?

Tails: Are you kidding? I'm just getting started!

Jenean: Please don't do this! Tails, you're hurt!

Tails looked over at Jenean.

Tails: Don't worry about me. I know exactly what I'm doing.

Jenean: I hope so…

Amy: Be careful, Tails!

The fox turned back to Metal Tails.

Tails: Hey, Metal me!

Metal Tails: What do you want?

Tails: I want to prove myself. And nothing's gonna stand in my way. But first…

Tails seemed to disappear, and reappeared behind Metal Tails, holding the robot's control device.

Tails: I gotta make sure all my friends see it.

He dropped the device to the ground, and crushed it with his foot. Those that were under the control of the robot snapped out of it, returning to their normal selves. Sonic saw what was going on, as did the others.

Sonic: What the?! Tails! Get out of there!

Tails: No, Sonic.

Sonic: What?

Tails: I have to do this. Myself.

Sonic: But Tails, you don't-

He was stopped when Metal-2 laid his hand on the hedgehog's shoulder. Sonic looked over and saw Metal-2 shaking his head `no'. Sonic turned back to Tails, thinking. After a moment, he understood, and nodded.

Sonic: All right, Tails. I guess you deserve a chance to test yourself. Good luck, little buddy.

Tails: Thank you, Sonic.

Metal Tails: This is all very heartwarming, I'm sure. But we've got a fight to finish.

Tails: So let's do it.

The two squared off, once again, and Metal Tails came flying toward his opponent. Tails disappeared before the robot's eyes, and Metal Tails stopped, confused. Tails reappeared behind and above the robot, kicking him in the back of the head. Metal Tails rolled out of the way, taking to the sky after a moment.

Metal Tails: How are you doing that?!

Tails: It's an old trick my uncle taught me.

Scotty: That's right! The dash technique, I remember that one!

Tails dashed upwards, becoming visible above Metal Tails. The fox grabbed the robot, and used his tails to spin Metal Tails around and chuck him downwards. The robot tried to recover, flying back upwards, but was tackled back down by Tails. Metal Tails hit the ground hard while Tails landed nearby.

Tails: And here's one my best friend taught me!

Tails spun around in a ball, spinning rapidly. Metal Tails stood back up just in time to be knocked back down by a furious spin dash attack. Tails jumped back up and landed behind his adversary, breathing heavily.

Tails: Now, have YOU had enough yet?

Metal Tails: I'll never get enough!

Tails: Well, that's just too bad because I've had enough of you!

Tails curled up and charged another spin dash attack. The fox launched out at Metal Tails, knocking the robot into a back flip. Tails landed on his feet, and dashed into Metal Tails, tackling him.

Metal Tails: That's it!

Metal Tails armed all his blasters, and prepared to fire at Tails. The fox saw it coming, and stood motionless for a moment. However, it wasn't out of fear. Tails was psyching himself up for his next attack.

Tails & Metal Tails: Say goodbye!!

Tails burst off in an orange blur as laser fire streaked past and into him. Ignoring them, the fox tackled Metal Tails, backed off, and hit him again. He repeated this an uncountable number of times, causing a field of orange, stripe-like blurs to surround the robot as Tails came at him from every direction. Metal Tails took a dent with each hit, and was soon bent out of shape, dinged up and malfunctioning. The attacks increased in speed until the robot exploded in a massive fireball surrounded by a huge plume of thick, black smoke. Pieces and parts flew everywhere, and the body of Tails flopped down on the ground in front of everyone. He lay on his back, unmoving.

Everyone rushed up to him, surrounding the fox. Jenean held him in her lap, trying to revive him.

Jenean: Tails! Speak to me!

Metal-2: His life signs are very weak.

Sonic: No wonder…The poor little fellow probably had a heart attack pulling off that stunt!

Sally: Let's get him to the doctor!

Scotty: Right!

Metal-2 picked him up, and they all hurried inside. Dr. Arrow examined him, very worried about his condition. Tails had hurt himself badly, not only because of the strain of the speed he used, but because of each time he tackled Metal Tails.

Tails lay motionless on the table as Metal-2 went outside to retrieve something. He was looking for Metal Tails's computer core. After several scans, he found it in a tree, and carried it back into the base. Nightingale noticed him as the robot entered her lab.

Metal-2: Night, we need to solve this problem.

Nightingale: Is that?

Metal-2: Yes. What do you recommend?

Nightingale: Well, you're the expert on these things, but I say we take it apart and destroy the nanorobots. Then, we smash it to pieces.

Metal-2: …Hmm…I could go with that.

After trying several different methods, they managed to break apart the nearly invincible computer core's outer shell. Inside was everything that made Metal Tails tick. They sent a powerful current of electricity through it all, and it fried each and every nanorobot. With no way to duplicate themselves, Metal Tails's nanytes were finished for good.

Several days later, Metal-2 then took the inner electronics out and destroyed them in a fire that he lit up outside. By then, Tails was well enough to attend, and did so happily with everyone else.

Tails: So, is he gone permanently?

Metal-2: He is no longer a threat, if that's what you mean.

Tails: I don't quite understand.

Metal-2: His soul is out there somewhere.

Tails: What?!

Metal-2: …<sigh> Night, do you remember when we were in the lab, and I was trying to explain that fight?

Nightingale: Yeah…Why?

Metal-2: It is my belief that any sentient life form, no matter the details, is a spirit. Most have organic bodies, such as yourselves. Others, like me, are different, and have mechanical bodies. When we were fighting in the core, it wasn't just a manifestation of us. It was our very spirits. That's why we grew tired occasionally-we were losing the will to go on.

Nightingale: Amazing…

Metal-2: I have contemplated it quite often at night, while patrolling the base.

Tails: Well, I'm just glad it's over. The doctor says I should be fine in a few weeks or so.

Sonic: You take it easy, Tails. Good job, though. You really took it to him!

Jenean: Yeah, you were awesome!

All: Yeah!

Tails: Heh heh…Thanks.

Sonic: We'll never doubt you again, Tails.

Tails: Cool!

Shadow: you're a runner-up for the title of ultimate life form.

Knuckles: Hey, what about me?

Sonic: Or me?

Shadow: Hah! I didn't see any of you out there fighting!

Sonic: Only because Tails wouldn't let us!

Knuckles: Ah, I could've taken that guy.

Sonic: What are you talking about?! That robot would've kicked your can!

They continued to argue with each other. Scotty slapped his own forehead, running his hand down his face.

Scotty: <sigh> They'll never stop…

Sonya took sat down beside him.

Sonya: It just wouldn't be the same any other way.

Scotty: No, I guess it wouldn't be. How did the decontamination go?

Sonya: The doctor's cure worked, and he's already distributing it to the city. Within a few days, everyone's brains will be fixed.

Scotty: That's good.

Tails: Well, this was some adventure. But I'm glad it's over.

Sonic: Hold on…Whatever happened to Robotnik?

Tails: I don't know…<shrugs> Oh well…

Deep in Robotnik's base…

The scientist played a sad tune on a harmonica as he lay on the hard cot.

Robotnik: <sigh> Why me?

THE END

The sonic crew belongs to SEGA

The Scotty crew belongs to Scotty CF

Jenean belongs to Daddy's lil girl

Metal-2 and Metal Tails belong to me

No animals were harmed in the writing of this fic…maybe…

My thanks to the other authors for letting me use their characters.

Thanks for reading, and please review!