Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Hospital Beds ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: None of the characters in this story belong to me, they belong to somebody else
 
Because of You
 
I opened my eyes, with some strain, and gaze at the area around me. I had half-hoped that I wouldn't awaken at all. I had suspected that, if I did awaken, I would be in my bedroom, with the wrinkled photo and the glass on my floor. But no, I wasn't there. I found myself lying in a hospital bed, in a white room. It sickened me, and made me shut my eyes halfway due to the brightness.
 
I squinted, glancing around the room and taking in the detail. The white walls were greying, with the paint peeling off of the walls. A scowl settles on my face, as I begin to wonder who found me and dragged me here. I only prayed it wasn't any of my friends, especially not him.
 
The door opened with a slide, and I saw a tall red fox enter the room. He had one tail protruding from his back, floppy bangs on his forehead and calm, brown eyes. He approached me slowly, staring at me and only me. I found myself trying to back away, but couldn't, due to the fact that I was bound to some machines.
 
“Good to see you're awake at last, mate,” the fox said with a strong British accent. I blinked in confusion. The red fox walked closer to me, smiling a little, “You were in a bad way.”
 
I didn't say anything. Part of me wanted to, but couldn't find the words. The fox continued to smile at me warmly, “Its ok mate, you don't need to say anything, I know how it feels.”
 
I glare at him. How could anyone possibly know how I feel? The fox only gave me a look to suggest he knew the feeling, “I lost my baby sister when I was about your age. She meant everything to me.”
 
I could see the red fox's eyes beginning to well up, trying to fight back tears. Maybe he did have a similar feeling. But I was alone in this, utterly alone. He couldn't know the feeling of losing someone like Cosmo. The person he lost was just his sister. The person I lost made me feel warm, and I felt true heart-pounding love with her. But it was gone, and I'm left with nothing but the cold. Nobody to love.
 
“I guess it hurts huh? But you'll get better, if you let yourself,” he told me. Yeah right, like that would happen. I could never heal after Cosmo's death. I loved her too much. It would be like betraying her love all over again. The door slid open again and a black shaggy dog in a uniform entered, nodding towards the fox. He nodded back and got up.

“By the way, the name's Sparkus,” the red fox told me, grabbing my hand and shaking it gently, for I hadn't the strength to move it myself. He turned and headed towards the door, “Chin up Tails,” he said softly. I vaguely wondered how he knew my name, but also wanted to know what was going on.
 
The shaggy dog approached me, a clipboard in one hand, and a pen in the other. He placed them on the cabinet next to me, sat down on the edge of my bed, and looked me over.
 
“Well, I suppose you're wondering what happened to you? Well, you've sustained loads of injuries, and have lost a lot of blood. A transfusion will be required otherwise you're chances of survival are quite low.”
 
For the first time, I found the strength to speak, “Who found me?” I said in a low, threatening voice. The dog looked around before facing my angry eyes again, “Who put me here?”
 
The dog sighed, trying to keep his hands from shaking, “I thought that was obvious, Sparkus found you, and as for who put you here, you did that yourself, I can only presume,” he pointed out the vast majority of bandages that were wrapped around my body. I could only glare at him.
 
“Why harm yourself so badly?” he questioned me. I clenched my fists as tight as I could, hoping that would lead it to bleed again. I began to breathe heavily, my chest rising and falling, causing a strange sensation to my chest.
 
“Because it felt good,” I said with complete honesty. The dog's eyes widened at me as I cast him a dark glare. If looks could kill, he'd be dead by now. He took a while to regain composure, and he stared at me again, “M-May I ask why?”
 
“It feels good compared to the pain I suffer day after day,” I answered in a careless voice. He shook as I clenched my fists ever tighter, a growl sounding in my throat.
 
The dog took that as his cue to leave, but before he did, he turned to look at me, “The person with a match of your blood type will hopefully be your donor.”
 
I was alone again. Good, the company was useless anyway. I didn't even want a blood donor. I've decided now and there that I don't want to live. A world without Cosmo is a world without love for me. I slam my fist down into the cabinet, hoping the edges were sharp enough to pierce my flesh again, but it was rounded. I stared at my unharmed hand, and began to sob uncontrollably. It wasn't fair, it just wasn't fair.

I gaze up at the ceiling, anger now coursing through me, “I don't deserve to be here,” I muttered under my breath, “He does.”
 
I thought about it long and hard. I was the one who only ever loved Cosmo, and wanted to show her our world. I wanted us to be together forever, for her to live with me, and one day for us to get married maybe. But it didn't play out that way, because he didn't save her. Then he comes to me, says he's sorry, and screws the living daylights out of me. True, at the time, I guessed I kind of enjoyed the feeling of being one with somebody, but it sickens me now.
 
“He should be here, not me,” I choked out, trying not to burst into endless waves of tears. I felt utterly cold and useless, lying in this hospital bed, attached to a machine to survive. Not that I really care about survival anymore.
 
I lay here, staring at the ceiling high above me, tears slowly pouring out of my eyes. I began to wonder why it was me laying here and not Sonic. Could it be, because of what I did? When Sonic kissed me, I didn't push him away, I didn't tell him to go away. I kissed him, and allowed him to take advantage of me. I needed the loving at the time so bad, I didn't care who did it and how they did it. Could I be here, because I betrayed our love?
 
Tears pour down my furry muzzle, as I manage to gaze out of the tiny window, “I'm so sorry Cosmo…” I choked out, praying I would choke on my own saliva.
 
My head hit the pillow hard, and I allowed tears to leak out as fast and hard as they could. My head began hurting, but I didn't care at the time. All I could think about was how I wanted everything to end.