Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Painful Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: None of the characters in this story belong to me, they belong to somebody else
 
Because of You
 
It's been nearly a week since I found myself lying here in hospital and in my own warped mind, nothing has changed. I'm still attached to machines, feeding me and keeping me alive, what I really don't want. I still lay on the bed, still in pain, still wishing for my death to come soon.
 
My body doesn't hurt. I have felt a little queasy but nothing more. The doctors who glide in and out of the room look at me as if they think I'm in pain. It's true in some sense, but the cuts, they don't hurt. Not really. It is my heart that aches more than anything. It aches for the one I lost and the one I still loved and wasn't willing to let go of.
 
Cosmo… it hurt to even think her name. It brought joy and sunshine to me before, always made me smile and think positively. She saw me through the thickest and thinnest of things and never once lost faith in me, even when I lost faith in myself. And now she is gone. And she's most likely taken my heart with her.
 
`But there were some good times…'
 
I smile, remembering the day I laid eyes on Cosmo. Coincidence that Amy, Cream, and I were watching the meteor shower the night Cosmo arrived. When I saw her, lying there unconscious and injured, I couldn't leave her…
 
I lay back in bed, trying to think about the good times we shared, praying it would bring me some comfort.
 
XXX
 
I squinted towards the falling meteor that was heading our way. It was such a pure white it burned my eyes and it hurt to see. Upon realizing we would collide with it, I threw myself onto the ground as Amy grabbed Cream. After the meteor had passed over us, my head snapped around to see it land nearby.
 
“Let's check it out!” I yelled, running toward where the meteor landed. For one of the few times in my life, I felt confident and ready for anything, much like Sonic. Amy and Cream followed me, but were clearly wary of the possible danger that could follow. I skidded to a halt and my eyes landed on a capsule, grey and dented. Then I saw her. A fair young girl, with green leafy hair, and pure soft-looking skin.
 
As I approached her, Cream left to tell her mother that we were coming, leaving Amy and I to look after her. As I held her in my arms, all I could think of was who she was and where she came from.
 
XXX
 
I gripped the controls for the X Tornado tighter as I pursued the Planet Egg thief. I urged the plane to go faster, but the Meterex thief was too fast and escaped the planet atmosphere. At that moment, the plane stopped, unable to go any higher. I cursed at my failure to retrieve the Planet Egg, but when I heard a soft moan behind me, I whipped around and saw the same girl I had rescued earlier on in the night, with distant eyes.
 
“Are you okay there?” I asked in concern, as she gazed out of the cockpit to the land below.
 
“Just… a little… dizzy…” she said in a dazed voice, as she shook her head, and came back into focus.
 
“I'm sorry…” I apologized, my mind still on my failure to retrieve the Planet Egg.
 
XXX
 
“Wake up…”
 
My eyes opened to find myself in a dark cave. It was Cosmo's face that was the first thing I laid eyes on. Those lovely blue eyes were full of concern and worry.
 
“Are you alright? Are you hurt?” She began, her hand resting on my arm, checking me for injuries.
 
I sat up, ignoring a throbbing pain on my head, more concerned with our whereabouts, “Where are we?” I asked, taking in my surroundings. A dark cave, fairly damp, with a few dark green bushes and a formidable atmosphere to it.
 
“You're hurt!” Cosmo cried a little, noticing an open wound on my forehead, the place where it was throbbing. I placed a hand to it, feeling blood soak my gloved hand, “Don't worry, it's nothing much,” I claimed, trying to reassure her.
 
“You do realize we've fallen to the bottom of this pit. Forgive me,” Cosmo said, looking at her knees with sudden interest, unable to look me in the eyes. I glanced at her, “It's not really your fault,” I tried to reassure her and at that moment, something came to mind, “But the simple fact that a button exists in such a place could mean that somebody else is hiding here,”
 
“Don't tell me it's the Meterex…” Cosmo said fearfully, remembering her family's deaths again. I tried to take my mind off of it by looking at the communication device on my wrist. I switched it on, trying to contact somebody, anybody. It didn't work.
 
“I can't establish contact anymore,” I stated, a little worried considering the only one who knew we were here was Knuckles, and anything could have happened to him.
 
“I'm sorry,” Cosmo said, bowing her head again, tears trying not to well up in her eyes.
 
“You have no reasons to be sorry,” I said warmly to her, as she sat there almost depressed. I switched the communication device to Chaos Emerald Search mode, and I was surprised to get a signal, “A Chaos Emerald is nearby! Let's go!” I attempted to get to my feet, but found Cosmo was holding me down.
 
“Wait,” she said, reaching for a bandage, placing it around my head, and wrapping it around my bleeding wound. I tried to object, telling her it was nothing, but she continued to wrap the bandage around my head. All I could do was sit there and blush, waiting for her to finish.
 
XXX
 
I wandered down the corridor, my arms filled with boxes to help repair the Chaotix's ship after, from what they've told me, Charmy had been playing around with the controls. I carried the heavy equipment along, humming to myself, and, in an instant, felt something collide with me. Sure enough, I looked up to see Cosmo, a little taken aback at the collision. I felt truly embarrassed at my blindness, and I rubbed the fur on the back of my head, struggling not to blush, “Er… sorry about that.
 
“No it's my fault,” Cosmo said gracefully, reaching around to pick up the many boxes she herself had been carrying, carefully not getting mixed up with mine, “I wasn't watching where I was going.
 
“Are you hurt?” I asked, genuinely concerned. I picked up some of the boxes she had dropped and helped put them back in her arms again. Cosmo shook her head at my question, “Don't worry, I'm fine. I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry. I must go.
 
At that, Cosmo ran down the corridor, leaving me standing there. At my feet was a small box. Picking it up and opening it, I found a little purple flower jewel, “She must've dropped it,” I sighed, pursuing her to return her item of belonging.
 
XXX
 
“Cosmo?” I asked, my eyes falling on the room decorations and Cosmo struggling to put a sign up, which read `Thank You Everybody!'
 
Cosmo turned at the sound of my voice and looked at me in shock and partly horror, “You weren't supposed to find out yet!” she claimed in a high-pitched voice. I approached her, as she stood upon that ladder, she smiled at me, clearly not angry that I had discovered her secret, “I thought that if I organized a little surprise party, it would make everyone feel better,” she continued. I smiled at her.
 
“That's a great idea! But organizing a party is a lot of work, so I can help you… if you want me to…” I offered shyly. Cosmo smiled at my offer, “Don't you have a lot of work to do already?” she questioned.
 
“Nah, I'm almost done,” I said, shrugging my shoulders. A bigger smile was placed upon Cosmo's face, “Thank you Tails, that's really nice…”
 
“So where do I start?”
 
XXX
 
“Look out!” I screamed as the disco ball began a collision path with Cosmo. Vector had clearly had a temper tantrum for some unknown reason to me and kicked it. I pushed Cosmo out of the way, listening as the ball slowly bounced on the floor and Cosmo was safe.
 
I got up to find her directly under me, completely pink in the face. I hadn't realized what I had done then, “Cosmo, are you alright?” I asked in concern. Cosmo's eyes opened and her already tinted pink cheeks went red, “No… it is thanks to you I'm alright.
 
At that moment, reality hit me and I realized what I had just done. I had kissed her. Upon pushing her out of harm's way and landing on top of her, my lips had met hers. I felt my face go hot as I realized what I had done, and I quickly got off of Cosmo, who brushed her skirt. I turned and saw Espio, Charmy and Vector sitting there with big cheesy grins on their faces, “What are you doing by watching us?” I questioned with a threatening hint to my voice. The Chaotix had cheesy grins on their faces and simply babbled a reply. I wasn't really listening. All I could remember was that I had my first proper kiss and it was with Cosmo.
 
XXX
 
I had been laughing at Espio's and Charmy's expenses, both with face paints while Vector told a story about a crime they once solved. I stopped laughing though, when I laid eyes on Cosmo, standing by herself, looking out of the window. I got to my feet, remembering what I had forgotten to give her.
 
Cosmo turned as I spoke her name and she smiled at me with an angelic smile, “What is going on there?”
 
I was a bit confused by her question, but realized she must have heard the laughter from our table, “Vector is just telling one of his crazy crime stories,” I laughed, remembering how goofy Espio and Charmy looked with paint on their faces.
 
“Thanks for helping me with this party Tails,” Cosmo said in a shy tone.
 
“No problem,” I said, as shy as Cosmo. I don't know what reminded me, but something did, “Oh by the way…”
 
Cosmo turned to me, her face set in a confused look, “Yes?”
 
“I forgot to give this to you last time,” I said, holding out the box with the flower jewel inside. Cosmo took it, gazing upon the tiny jewel that barely fit in the palm of her hand, with a dreamy look on her face, “Do you like it?” I asked.
 
“Yes, it's wonderful, I will never leave it,” Cosmo said in a dazed voice, clearly emotional that somebody had remembered to give it to her. Cosmo turned to gaze out of the window, her eyes never leaving the many stars in the black space. I felt my face going hot, as I remembered the kiss we had shared, accidental, but it felt right to me.
 
“You're so beautiful Cosmo…” I blurted out before I got the chance to even think about what I was going to say. I averted my gaze from her, too embarrassed to even look at her. I don't think she knew I was referring to her at the time.
 
The view is beautiful and this spectacle of stars in the sky is so nice that we could watch it for hours,” Cosmo said, too focused on the view outside.
 
“Yeah, I agree,” I said embarrassedly, rubbing the back of my head.
 
XXX
 
“Cosmo, what are you doing here alone?” I asked, seeing Cosmo standing on the cliff looking out onto the village of the Marmolims. Cosmo turned to face me, “Just thinking. I heard it was you who found the solution to healing this planet.
 
I shook my head, “Everyone helped with that, including you,” I said simply. Cosmo turned away, a pink tinge appearing on her cheeks, “I didn't do that much.
 
“Listen,” I said, wanting more than anything to know if she was truly okay with everything, especially after the Marmolims predicted death was near for her, “I can see that something is bothering you. You can tell me anything, unless you… don't trust me…?”
 
Cosmo looked at me in shock, “What? No, no, not at all, I assure you, absolutely not, no, no, no it's not what I meant, yes I trust you.
 
I giggled at her response, watching Cosmo go pink in the cheeks, “That's all I wanted to know, we don't always have time to chat,” I said, turning around to head back to the village.
 
“Wait for me!” Cosmo cried. I turned around to see her trip up. I quickly caught her in my arms before we were both miraculously thrown into the air. The settings around us turned into a beautiful sapphire blue, but all I could really see was Cosmo. Everything that wasn't the girl I held in my arms was a pale blue blur. As we hit the ground, water covered our bodies. I looked at Cosmo, still holding her, and saw her face was red, “Are you alright?” I asked, worried.

“Yes, but what happened?” Cosmo asked. Her question was never answered as our eyes latched onto the beautiful milky moon in front of us. As I held Cosmo close to me, I couldn't hear or see anything that wasn't the moon or Cosmo.
Even the cursing and yelling of Amy couldn't be heard.
 
XXX
 
I feel worse. Remembering all of those beautiful and happy moments had made me feel even more terrible. It just reminded me of what I lost. My mouth burned, my eyes burned, everything burned. I longed for her to be there, to hold me in those soft warm arms. I longed for her healing lips on mine, I longed for her to stroke my fur and tell me everything would be alright. But it couldn't happen. She was dead. I can only lay there and think about times that have long passed. Times that I wished I could return to and change.
 
I wonder if the others know I'm here. I couldn't care less really. All they would do is fuss. They would all tell me how silly I am. They would all try and trick me into thinking it would be alright when it wouldn't. Amy would talk in that annoying voice, telling him about her relationship with Sonic. Yep, her relationship with him. It makes me feel even sicker when I think about what we did. Sonic and Amy were dating, and he still came onto me. Plus, if I even hear his name lately I head into a dark, mute attitude, and I keep thinking about smashing things.
 
I look at the scar on the palm of my right hand, scabbed and beginning to heal. I longed to pick the scab, and feel that feeling again. But I didn't even have the strength to do that anymore. Over the past week, I had been `deteriorating' as the doctor's like to call it. They keep saying that I need that blood donor as soon as possible. I couldn't care less if they don't find one.
 
My stomach hurt a little but I hardly noticed it. My back ached a little bit but I didn't notice. I felt nauseous and horrible, but I didn't care. My stomach churned as a song came on, a song that reminded me of me. My entire body settled down as the song began to play.
 
It's down to this
I've got to make this life make sense
Can anyone do what I've done
I miss life
I miss the colours of the world
Can anyone go where I am

'Cause now again I've found myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines into the darkest place
I'm so far down, away from the sun again
Away from the sun
again

I'm over this
I'm tired of living in the dark
Can anyone see me down here
The feeling's gone
There's nothing left to lift me up
Back into the world I've known

'Cause now again I've found myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines into the darkest place
I'm so far down, away from the sun

The nauseating feeling was taking over, as I listened to the song, thinking about how the song reminded me of me, laying here, away from the sun, in the darkest of places. Nobody could ever come here, and nobody could ever find me. My stomach was beginning to churn.
 
That shines the life away from me
To find my way back into the arms
That care about the ones like me
I'm so far down, away from the sun again

It's down to this
I've got to make this life make sense
And now I can't do what I've done

And now again I've found myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines the life away from me

The pain was beginning to feel affective and I wanted to clutch my stomach, but I was too weak to even do that. My stomach tightened, and I felt a burning sensation move up my body. A small amount of a hot, sticky, smelly substance left my mouth, but the rest never left. It moved back down my body.
I'm so far down, away from the sun again
I coughed, as it began to take over. The vomit that had left my mouth began to dribble down my face. I tried in vain to breathe, but it became harder. I was choking so badly. As I choked on my own vomit, all I could think of was if I died, would I be able to see Cosmo again?
I could hear the doctor's enter the room, talking in panicky voices, trying to resuscitate me. I coughed and choked harder, my body shaking as if I was having an epileptic fit. My eyes rolled to the back of my head, and my forehead burned. As I drifted into unconsciousness, for some reason, I was thinking about him. How he would feel if I died, how he would cope.
`I'm coming… Cosmo…'
I'm gone