Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Hero ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: None of the characters in this story belong to me, they belong to somebody else.
 
Because of You
 
I was awoken to a bright light early that next morning. No matter how much I tried to squeeze my eyes shut, no matter how much I tried to relax, the sunlight eventually forced me to open them. As soon as I did though I half wished I could close them again. The brightness seemed to burn, and my vision blurred.
 
Sighing, I shifted about and a small smile crossed my lips. He was still here with me. He didn't leave me overnight. I allowed my small, nimble fingers to stroke his arms slightly. A small masculine sound from behind me worked as evidence that he was awake.
 
“Morning,” he whispered sweetly, bringing my body closer to his and nuzzling my ear. I sighed again, for possibly the first time in my life since her death feeling relaxed and contempt.
 
I whispered back, rolling over, wanting to see those beautiful emerald eyes again, “Morning.”
 
He wore a beautiful smile on his handsome features, one that would have made me fall to my knees had I been standing. My breathing quickened as he leant a little closer to me. My heart instantly yearned to feel the flying sensation I had felt the previous night.
 
It didn't last long. It was pretty much over before we'd even started. I felt a little disappointment when he pulled away from me, gazing endlessly into my eyes and stroking my cheek.
 
“No more bad nightmares?” he raised his eyebrows, pulling me close once more, but instead of resting his sugary sweet lips on mine again, he rested my head under his chin.
 
Making the most of it, I absentmindedly allowed my hands to run over his chest, to which I could swear I felt the smile on his face widen, “No.”
 
“That's good.”
 
I did not know what to say to him. It was certainly odd; there were always times in the past where I could find words to say to him. If there was anybody who I could speak to with complete confidence, it was Sonic. Yet now something held me back, and my mind had gone completely blank.
 
“What're you thinking?” I eventually blurted out after approximately five minutes of silence. It was straight after the words came out of my mouth when I realized just how nosy and rude that sounded. Almost instantly I threw a hand to my mouth and muttered an apology.
 
Sonic pulled me out from under his chin, stroking my cheek again softly. I gently placed my hand over his and enjoyed the view to his gorgeous green orbs. No, not green. Emerald. His eyes are the purest shade of emerald.
 
He was smiling at me, and the pace of my heart quickened, “I was just thinking about how beautiful your eyes are.”
 
I felt the heat in my cheeks rise dramatically and I found myself trying to look anywhere but into Sonic's eyes, “Yeah well… they're not as beautiful as yours.”
 
“I don't know about that,” I felt my face being tilted upwards, and once again I was gazing deeply into Sonic's soul, “Blue is one of my favourite colours, ya know.”
 
I blushed furiously, releasing nervous giggles, “And emerald is one of mine.”
 
I never wanted to move, nor did I want him to move. I could tell he felt the same. His eyes watered a little, before he leaned forward and pecked my forehead, rubbing my bangs.
 
“I love you so much, Tails,” he whispered, nuzzling me gently. I smiled weakly.
 
“Is this a daily treatment Sonic?” I chuckled, trying to force the hot flush off of my face. He nodded, giving me yet another wet kiss on the forehead.
 
Sonic's face had suddenly adopted a serious look and his eyes seemed to moisten a little, “I nearly lost you Tails. I don't think I can let a moment go by anymore without letting you know how I feel.”
 
I smiled weakly, and stroked his cheek softly, “You never lost me in the first place. I was just… temporarily lost.”
 
“What do you mean?” Sonic asked with a heavy look of confusion on his face. It was my turn to plant a kiss on his forehead.
 
“When Cosmo died I forgot who I was,” I began, trying to push all thoughts of the beautiful young girl I once loved out of my mind, “It was almost like I couldn't recognize you, or anyone else. The whole world was against me, Sonic.”
 
“No we-”
 
I placed my index finger on his lips, “Just let me finish please… I knew Cosmo would never be able to come back to life. Nothing can reawaken the dead. It didn't stop me wishing though. The pain was unbearable. I was willing to do anything to escape.”
 
“Even kill yourself?” Sonic asked hoarsely, looking more downcast than before.
 
I paused, thinking on it, before nodding slowly, “Yes.”
 
A long silence seemed to follow. The air seemed to fill with a darkened atmosphere, as if the world had stopped turning. At first, I was sure Sonic would treat me like I was mentally unstable, back away slowly, before darting out of the door and calling someone to take me away. I never really expected him to pull me closer towards him and hug me, not like a brother, but a lover.
 
That's when it hit me; we're lovers. The guy who I once considered an older brother is no longer that. It struck me how much I had grown up… how much we had grown up.
 
“I'm sorry…” Sonic whispered. From the sounds of it, he was crying. I only had to look up to confirm this, and I hugged him back, tighter than before.
 
“Don't be,” I murmured back, running my hands through his cerulean fur, “You didn't kill Cosmo.”
 
“I could've tried harder to save her…” the blue hedgehog whined softly. A painful burst of guilt filled my stomach; it had been believing that Sonic didn't try hard enough that had led to me being hospitalized in the first place. That had led to Sonic worrying about me. I shook my head, trying to shake those thoughts out, before allowing myself to nuzzle his chin.
 
“You tried your best,” I told him, curling up in his arms almost like a baby, “I should never have asked for anything more. I should never have… you know.”
 
“But you were right in a way Tails,” Sonic sobbed silently, rubbing my back, “I don't deserve to call myself a hero.”
 
Part of me wanted to slap him around the face, deny all of what he believed, but I realized it would only make things worse instead of better. I slowly pulled away from him and cupped his face in my hands. It felt odd looking at Sonic's tear-streaked face; I had never known the hedgehog hero to cry; not ever.
 
“Heroes don't succeed in everything Sonic,” I told him in a serious tone. A part of me feared that if Sonic weren't careful, he'd become as depressed as I was, “If you had gone after Cosmo, you'd have died for sure.”
 
The hedgehog's facial expression became a little heavier, “At least I wouldn't have felt this guilt.”
 
“Get a hold of yourself Sonic!” I raised my voice a little, feeling my eyes water; I could not bear to think of him in so much pain. Now I know how he must have felt when I self-harmed, “Don't do this to me! What's done is done! I'm moving on! I'll never stop loving Cosmo, never! But it doesn't stop me from loving you as well!”
 
“Maybe you're right…” Sonic said slowly, smiling weakly at me, “But how can you love me after all of that…?”
 
“I don't know,” I said softly, “I just do. I'm not sure how, but I just do. You do too… right?”
 
Without a hesitation Sonic nodded, “Of course I do. More than anything.”
 
I smiled, running my thumb across his cheek softly, “I suppose it means that I've always loved you. I probably just didn't know of it.”
 
He nodded in agreement to what I said, leaning forward to give me a soft kiss, this one lasting longer than the previous ones of this early morning.
 
After a short silence, Sonic asked, “Tails… how am I going to break it to Amy?”
 
I noticed how worried he looked as he asked me that tough question. I paused for thought, trying to work out how to tell Sonic's ex-girlfriend that he had dumped her because he was in love with me; someone of the same gender as him. I didn't really want to think about it. I now envisioned her chasing me with that hammer of hers, which is pretty much everyone's worst nightmare. I forced a smile onto my face and looked at my partner, “We will have to break it to her. I don't know how, but we will when the time is right.”
 
Sonic shifted about uncomfortably, “And when would that be? Tails, if I'm going to be with you, then I need to clear the air with Amy first. You do want to be with me, don't you?”
 
I gave him a false look of offence, “Of course I do! But… we need to work out what to say to her… I mean, think of what her reaction might be if we say the wrong thing…”
 
“And what about…” Sonic pointed at my slightly chubby belly, his eyes wide.
 
“I've got to go for a scan in a few hours I think,” I told him slowly before he could finish his sentence, “So they can see if the baby's survived. I'll get the results in a few days.”
 
“Right…” Sonic muttered, looking quite awkward, “Sorry for putting you through so much stress Tails.”
 
“Don't be,” I said in a firm voice, “No point brooding over the past. You never do.”
 
After a short snort, Sonic leaned back a little, “I'm an idiot. That's why…”
 
A long silence followed before I noticed the blue hedgehog had leaned forward again, giving me a strange look, “Why Tails?”
 
I blinked in confusion, “Why what?”
 
“Why did you follow me as a child?” Sonic asked me, his eyes intent on answers, “Why do you look up to me? Why do you stick by me even when I do the stupidest of things?”
 
I was about to answer those questions, but I was caught off guard when Sonic's shimmering emerald eyes gazed into my own, “Why do you love me, Tails?”
 
I didn't even need to think about it. I already knew the answer.
 
Without hesitation I leaned on him again, nuzzling his cheek, “Because you're my hero.”
 
A/N
 
Sorry the chapter's quite short, but once I had reached that point I felt no need to carry on. So I'm putting off a few things, just to make people wonder more.
 
Finally finished chapter nine. Oh, and by the way, I am avery strong Sonic/Amy fan but even then I can make Sonic and Tails gay if I want to. I could even make Sonic and CHARMY gay if I wanted to. Learn to deal with it. I don't go around bitching to everyone who writes Sonic and Blaze together, or Tails and Cream together, so I ask that nobody bitches to me about my couple preferences. Thank you.