Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Pure, Unbreakable Love ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: None of the characters in this story belong to me, they belong to somebody else.
 
Because of You
 
It's over. I had immediately been wheeled in, and injected, left laying there, my fears erased due to the fact that Sonic and I are friends again. Well… maybe a little more. I'd be lying if I said I never had any feelings for him in that way.
 
And now it's over. I awoke about half an hour ago, coughing violently, which meant the doctor's were with me for a good length of time, watching over me and making sure I wasn't terribly hurt. But there was only one person I wanted there, but he too has to recover.
 
He didn't have to do it. He didn't have to stop just for me. He could've carried on running, faster than the speed of sound, continuing to travel into the light. But he stopped. He stopped, he turned around and he waited for me to come with him. He was willing to do anything if it meant I wasn't alone. I'm eternally grateful to that guy.
 
The doctor who had been the one watching over me flitted in and out of the room every now and then, casting his eyes over me with a soft smile on occasion, and then turning away. His eyes no longer held fear as he looked me over. I made a mental note to leave him a card with a long meaningful thank you.
 
That day came and went with very little activity, almost like it was before the transfusion. But before the transfusion I was so lost in hate for Sonic that I didn't notice the dullness settled around me. Now I have nothing more to wallow in, the boredom settled in like a bad smell.
 
I yawned, curling over, praying that I'd be able to get in a good night's sleep, unlike these past few weeks. The only problem was that my body ached and I often found difficulty when I attempted to sleep while in pain.
 
Maybe dreams of Sonic would help me forget the pain…
 
XXX
 
My finger on the button. My eyes filled with tears. I gaze ahead at the beautiful elegant figure before me: Cosmo.
 
“Don't make me do this Cosmo…” I pleaded, “Please…”
 
“Shoot on me Tails. Please, it's the only way of destroying Dark Oak…”
 
I squeeze my eyes shut and shake my head vigorously. She's asking something of me that I don't have in me. I'm not a killer. Especially not if it means someone I care for more than anybody.
 
I can't kill her.
 
I won't kill her.
 
“Tails, the universe will all be destroyed if you don't do this…” she begged, tears coming into her shiny sapphire eyes.
 
“I… I can't…” I choked, “I love you too much…
 
Cosmo's eyes looked at me sympathetically, “I love you too Tails, but it has to be done…”
 
I sobbed; it was all I could do. I let my tears fall, “I'll always love you Tails…”
 
My thumb pressed down on the button, sealing Cosmo's fate.
 
XXX
 
“Tails… WAKE UP!”
 
I felt someone roughly shaking me by the shoulders, my head banged on the pillows a few times and my eyes snapped open to find a familiar figure standing over me.
 
Sonic…
 
“Are you alright?” Sonic questioned in a worried tone, “You looked like you were having a bad nightmare.”
 
I shivered violently, remembering the contents of the dream. Cosmo is dead. I've accepted that. Why do I still have to be haunted by her death when I had already let her go?
 
“I dreamt about… it,” I began, trying to slow my breathing speed down, “You know… Cosmo's death.”
 
Sonic looked at me with an expression that I found very hard to read. I vaguely wondered whether Sonic would start yelling at me for still loving Cosmo, but he merely pressed his un-gloved hand against my forehead, obviously checking my temperature. After being satisfied that my temperature was normal, he clasped my hand in his and stroked it with his thumb, “Tell me all about it.”
 
I recounted the whole dream to Sonic, who only sat there and listened to whatever I said, and it certainly made me feel a lot better. Not once did the blue hedgehog interrupt, nor did he ask awkward questions.
 
“You and Shadow hit the planet in your super forms and… the planet blew up,” I finished, feeling relieved that Sonic wasn't taking my remaining love for Cosmo to heart.
 
“Tails, it's grief,” Sonic told me slowly, “You're not grieving as harshly as you did before the transfusion, but you're still grieving nonetheless. She was your first love and she is always going to be a part of you, no matter what happens in the future.”
 
“I accept that she's dead,” I began again, “But why do I have to suffer with these nightmares?”
 
Sonic raised an eyebrow in questioning, “You've had these nightmares before?”
 
To that question I could only nod, “Every night since she died.”
 
“Time is the only cure, Tails. Even then you'll probably never fully heal,” Sonic softly said, stroking my hand softly. It made me feel better to know he was there.
 
“Thank you Sonic. You made me feel a whole lot better…” I sighed softly, giving him one of my truer smiles, one that I had never really given before Sonic confessed his love for me. Coming onto that, I still remain confused as to why Sonic loves me. I want to ask, yet it would seem rude. What if Sonic himself didn't know anyway? It was best to remain silent.
 
A long silence followed. I could think of nothing to say to him, and I could tell it was the same situation with him. The blue hedgehog only sat there on the end of my bed, stroking my hand.
 
After a while, Sonic broke the silence, “So… how are you feeling?”
 
I wasn't really sure. My stomach still ached, I had a headache, and yet I strangely felt content with it all, “I'm fine, I guess. How are you? I thought they weren't letting you out until tomorrow?”
 
“Nothing can keep this hedgehog down,” Sonic winked at me, “I'm a fast healer anyway.”
 
I smiled at Sonic's cocky nature at that second. It was strangely comforting to me in that moment, partly because it wasn't on a topic I was uncomfortable about talking about. At that moment though, Sonic's face turned slightly pale and he looked at the floor.
 
“What's wrong?” I asked the blue hedgehog, who looked up with a worried look on his face.

“Do you think that… it survived?” Sonic asked. I knew at one point our discussions would turn to the baby. How could I have forgotten? I've been carrying it around for a good month or two; I mentally hit myself for forgetting.
 
“We'll find out tomorrow I guess…” I sighed, slumping back into the pillow.
 
“Sorry,” Sonic said quietly.
 
“What for?” I questioned, noticing Sonic had a look of unmistakeable guilt on his face.
 
Sonic replied glumly, “For getting you pregnant in the first place.”
 
“Sonic, it's done,” I began, a firm hint to my voice, “We can't change the past. But we can look to the future. You taught me that, remember?”
 
A weak smile crossed Sonic's face as I gripped his hand as tightly as he gripped mine, “You're right. I remember that. I also remember having to teach you a lot of things anyway.”
 
A smirk crossed my furry muzzle, “Oh, like what?”
 
“Like how to fend for yourself instead of relying on me all the time,” Sonic began, “How to catch up to me, how to trick Egghead's stupid robots, how to lie about my whereabouts…”
 
“To Amy you mean?” I joked, before the feeling of guilt filled my stomach, remembering Amy's teary face when she had told me Sonic had ended it with her.
 
“Yeah, like Amy…” Sonic's thoughts had trailed to what mine had trailed to, “Do you think she'll ever forgive me?”
 
I remember vaguely what Sonic had told me, about Cosmo being my first love, and how she would always be a part of me, no matter what happened. Amy was Sonic's very first love, and she, like Cosmo was to me, would always be a part of the blue hedgehog. It would be the same for Amy, despite the fact that she was as stubborn as a mule and not a person to forgive easily, Sonic was her first love too.
 
I sighed softly, “Don't worry, Amy's got a hard head but she probably cares about you too much to risk losing your friendship.”
 
Sonic's shining emerald orbs looked to the floor again, as he twiddled his thumbs, “I don't know how she's going to take it…”
 
I smiled at him in an encouraging way, “Don't worry. We'll tell her together.”
 
Sonic looked into my eyes with a weak smile clearly thanking me for my support. I smiled back, our hands still sandwiched together on the bed. I knew how Amy would react to our newfound relationship. I could already picture her tearful expression, calling me a traitor in high-pitched tones and possibly screaming hatred for Sonic. No wonder Sonic was worried about facing her…
 
“Thanks, Tails.” Sonic murmured weakly, the faint yet unmistakeable sign of a blush spreading across his cheeks. I blinked. I had never really taken the chance to notice it before; Sonic blushing. It was an odd sight, yet one I found beautiful and rare.
 
“No problem,” I whispered back to him, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.
 
I spent a lot of time after that gazing into Sonic's flawless emerald eyes, noticing how they seemed to shine and block out the darkness surrounding us with nothing at all. I vaguely wondered how anyone could be born with such beautiful eyes. It seemed like a rare gift that I was unlikely to ever see in anyone else but my best friend, my lover. His eyes stared intensely at me, into my own blue eyes, which I found to be dull and interesting compared to the beauty of Sonic's eyes, which seemed to withhold something pure and unbreakable.
 
It was love. Pure, unbreakable love.
 
Sonic leans towards me a little closer and I do the same, and I feel the soft touch of Sonic's lips on my own. It's hard to describe the feeling; it's almost like I'm soaring higher than I ever could in a plane, space ship or even with my own two tails. We fly higher, almost touching heaven, as our kiss becomes slightly more passionate, though not losing the innocence at the beginning. I feel myself landing in my bed again as we break off for air.
 
I managed to snuggle up to Sonic with a soft quiet sigh, “I love you Sonic the Hedgehog.”
 
Sonic smiled, wrapping his strong arms around me and kissing my forehead between my bangs, “And I love you, Miles `Tails' Prower.”
 
I fell asleep in his arms, and no longer dreamed of Cosmo's death. This night was about me and him. It's just the two of us.
 
I could only hope that wherever Cosmo was now; she was happy and free from the pains that held her down before she died.