Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Careful What You Wish For ❯ The Gathering and the Explanation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Before Tails began to explain his plan, he looked around the room and noticed someone was missing. "Hey, has anybody seen Shadow?" The young fox asked. Suddenly, there was a bright flash of light from behind Tails, and the kit felt a hand quickly but gently grab his shoulder.

"Boo."

"Aaah!" Tails shouted, leaping into the air, nearly hitting his head on the ceiling above. The fox looked down and saw none other than Shadow the Hedgehog.

Shadow was simply standing there with his arms crossed, looking up at Tails, smiling.

"Are you gonna do that every time?" Tails complained while hovering back down to solid ground. Shadow let out a small chuckle and said, "Sorry, kid. Couldn't resist."

Over the past few months, and with their combined teamwork against Eggman, Shadow had slowly started to forge a friendship with Tails and the others. Aside from his and Sonic's constant bickering over who's the true Ultimate Lifeform and who's the Faker, they've all become quite close.

After Tails had touched down on the ground, he crossed his arms and gave Shadow an annoyed look.

"Alright, Shadow. I'm guessing that since you were able to play that little trick a minute ago, that you brought your Chaos Emerald?" "Of course." Shadow stated, handing Tails the green Emerald. Tails smiled, taking the Emerald. He then turned to the rest of the group and said, "How about the rest of you?"

One by one, the rest of the group pulled out their Emeralds. Sonic had the blue one, Knuckles kept the red one, Amy was holding the yellow one, and Cream had the violet one. Tails already had the light blue and silver Emeralds.

"Great!" Tails exclaimed. Knuckles propped his feet up on the coffee table in front of him and said, "Alright now, Fox-Boy. Are you gonna tell us what this is all about?"

"Yeah, Tails. You sounded so excited on the phone last night... Oh, now I remember. Mother said if you ever call that late again, she'll strangle you with your own tails." Tails just stared at Cream wide-eyed and gulped loudly. "Um...okay." He said slowly.

"Come on, Prower. You gonna tell us or not?" Shadow groaned, tapping his foot impatiently. "Okay, you guys. I suppose I've kept you waiting long enough." Tails said, ready to reveal his plan to his friends.

"Alright, as I'm sure you're all aware by now, Sonic is able to achieve incredible power by absorbing the positive energy of the Chaos Emeralds."

"(Cough)Faker(Cough)"

"Watch it, Shad!" Sonic growled.

"Don't call me 'Shad', Faker!" The black and red hedgehog snapped back. "Um, guys?" Tails said, trying to interject. Sonic jumped up in Shadow's face. "Go take your air shoes and float somewhere!"

"Guys?" Tails tried again. Shadow was now nose-to-nose with Sonic. "How 'bout I take one of these air shoes and plant it right up your..."

"GUYS!!" Tails shouted at the top of his lungs. Sonic and Shadow both turned and looked the now fuming fox. "Do you guys mind if I finish my story!?" Tails said through gritted teeth. Without a word, the two hedgehogs ran over to the couch and sat down next to the others.

"Thank you." The fox sighed. "Now, as I was saying, Sonic is able to gain tremendous power by absorbing positive Chaos energy. Shadow and Knuckles have also managed to accomplish this amazing feat. Strangely however, I have not."

"But, if you're not able to transform like Sonic, why did you need us to bring all of the Chaos Emeralds here today?" Amy asked.

The young vulpine looked at the pink hedgehog and smiled. "Good question, Amy. Like I said before, I've never been able to transform...but as of today, that all changes forever!" Everybody's jaws now were hanging open in disbelief. After a long silence, Sonic finally found his voice. "Are...are you serious, lil' bro?"

"Uh-huh!" Tails exclaimed, grinning widely. Cream was the next one to speak. "That's amazing, Tails!"

"Um... ya mind runnin' that by me again, kid?" Knuckles asked, clueless as usual. Tails turned to the red echidna and smiled.

"I've got a better idea! Everybody follow me to my lab and I'll show ya! C'mon!" The kit said, running full-speed towards his lab. Everyone was just standing there, still taking in everything that Tails had just told them, until they heard a voice calling from the living room doorway.

"Hey! Are you guys coming or not?" Tails shouted, jogging in place. "Coming!" The rest of them shouted in unison.

************************

As the group made their way to Tails' lab, Sonic finally decided to ask the young fox a question that had been bothering him.

"So Tails, what made you want to do something like this in the first place?" Tails continued to walk forward a few more steps until he finally stopped and hung his head slightly.

"Tails?"

"It's just... I'm tired of always having to watch the fight from the sidelines when I should be in there helping you guys. And when I do try to help, I'm just not strong enough to do any good. How many times have you had to carry me out of a fight where I was either hurt or unconscious? I'm sick of being the one that everyone has to save. I'm just sick of it!"

Sonic walked up to Tails, who now had tears streaming down his white muzzle, and laid a consoling hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Tails. I never knew you felt that way."

Tails turned to look at the blue hedgehog, tears still ever-present in his large blue eyes. "I just want to fight alongside you guys. I wanna feel like a real hero."

Sonic smiled at his long-time friend and said, "Don't worry, little buddy. After today, I know that you're gonna be a great hero... maybe even better than me." Tails wiped away his tears and smiled. "Ya really think so?"

"Sure do! But you'll never be quite as handsome as me." Sonic replied, shooting the fox a sly smile.

Tails smiled back at Sonic, and then started laughing when he noticed Knuckles making a gagging sound with his finger in his mouth.

"Sorry to interrupt the little lovefest here, but would you mind telling me how you plan on pulling off your little transformation trick?" Shadow asked, but as the black and red hedgehog finished his question, the group had just arrived at the entrance to Tails' laboratory.

The double-tailed kit looked back at Shadow and said, "With... this!"

Tails then opened the door and turned on the lights. "Ta-da!" Tails cheered, pointing at the large machine he spent all night reconfiguring. All of his friends just stared at the machine in confusion, save Sonic, who had seen it before.

"Um, Tails? I don't wanna sound rude, but how is this machine supposed to help you transform?" The hedgehog asked, scratching his head. Tails turned around, facing the group.

"I'm glad you asked." The young vulpine then began to explain. "For those of you who don't know, I built this machine a few years ago after Sonic used the Chaos Emeralds for the first time. I wanted to study..."

"Why that faker doesn't have a brain to speak of?" Shadow interrupted.

Sonic stuck his tongue out at Shadow. "No," Tails began again, "I wanted to study him to make sure that the Emeralds didn't have any kind of negative effects on him. But just last night, I made some major adjustments to it. Now instead of only monitoring the levels of Chaos energy in one's body, I can use it to transfer Chaos energy INTO my body...pretty cool, huh?"

Cream was the next one to ask a question. "But Tails, how can you be sure that this machine is safe to use if you've never tried it before?" Tails' ears drooped slightly as he gave the rabbit her answer.

"You're right, Cream. I don't know if it's safe or not, but I have to try."

Tails' response made the young doe grow even more concerned. "But what if something goes wrong? You could be seriously hurt, or worse!" The fox walked over to Cream and looked her in the eyes. "Don't worry, Cream. I promise, nothing will happen to me."

"If you say so." The rabbit replied, giving Tails a small smile. Tails took a deep breath and turned his attention to the rest of the group.

"Well guys...It's time." He then walked over to his machine and opened up a small compartment with two Chaos Emeralds already inside.

"Alright everyone, each of you go ahead and place your emeralds in that compartment. Mine are already inside." Tails instructed. One by one, each of his friends placed their emeralds inside the machine, giving their own words of encouragement as they passed by.

Cream was the last one to place her emerald in, and as she walked past. she embraced the fox in a tight hug.

"Please be careful, Tails."

"Don't worry, Cream. I promise, I'll be fine." The kit reassured her, hugging her back. After they broke the embrace, Tails turned to Shadow and pulled out something that resembled a Chaos Emerald.

"Here, Shadow. I made this for you to use while I borrowed yours."

The ebony hedgehog looked at the jewel in his hand. "A Chaos Emerald?" Tails smiled. "Well, it's not a real one, but the power it produces is almost the same."

The fox then turned and walked towards the machine, typing in a few commands. "Is there anything you need us to help you with, Tails?" Amy asked. Tails responded without turning around, "Sure, Amy. After I step into the chamber and shut the door, all you have to do is pull that lever. But after the machine starts, I want you all to stand back. I don't know what might happen should anything go wrong and I don't want any of you to get hurt."

Sonic stepped forward and gave his friend a thumbs-up and said, "Don't sweat it, Tails. We all have faith in you. Good luck, pal."

Tails returned the thumbs-up and slowly stepped into the chamber, closing the door behind him. After the door had closed, Amy walked up and looked in the window. Tails gave her a slow nod, signaling that he was ready. The pink hedgehog nodded back and slowly pulled the lever.
Almost immediately, the machine began to emit a loud but low humming noise. Sonic began to think to himself.

'I hope you know what you're doing, Tails.'

Meanwhile inside the chamber, Tails was standing in the center, awaiting any changes. "Hmm, nothing's happening yet." But as Tails was finishing his sentence, he could feel his body temperature begin to rise.

"Man, it's starting to get hot in here." Tails started sweating and breathing heavily as his body temperature continued to climb.

"It's...getting harder...to breathe." The fox groaned in pain. Suddenly, Tails' entire body started to feel as if it were on fire.

"AAAAHHH!!!" Tails howled in agony as a sudden rush of excrutiating pain caused him to drop to his hands and knees. "I...I can't...quit now! I...I've come too far! I won't give up!" The kit growled through the pain.

Outside the chamber, Tails' anguished cries could be heard even through the thick steel walls. At that moment, Sonic and the others ran up and looked in the small window. What they saw inside was simply indescribable.

Tails' fur was now glowing a bright, almost blinding golden color. His three bangs were standing straight up, like the tip of a trident. Cream stared in shock, then started cheering for her friend.

"You did it, Tails! You did it!"

Amy and Knuckles just stood there, speechless. "I don't...believe it." Shadow said quietly. Sonic smiled at his fox friend and shouted, "Way to go! I knew you could do it, buddy!" Tails was still in immense pain, but managed to look up, and smiled when he saw all of his friends outside, cheering him on.

Tails' smile quickly faded however, when the machine began trembling violently. The young twin-tailed genius knew that something was wrong.

"Guys, all of you get away from the machine, now!"

Outside, the rest of the gang was still cheering for Tails, and therefore, didn't heed the young vulpine's warning. Sonic finally noticed that Tails was trying to get their attention.

"Hey, guys. I think Tails is trying to tell us something."

They all looked back at Tails, who now had a look of pure terror on his face. Before the fox could say anything else, showers of sparks and flames began pouring from the machine. Sonic shouted through the window, "Tails, what's happening?" The fox screamed at the top of his lungs, "RUUUNN!!!"

But before anyone had time to react...the machine exploded.

....To Be Continued