Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Careful What You Wish For ❯ The Search for Super ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
While everyone at Tails' workshop began to formulate a plan of attack against Super Tails, the pseudo superfox was closing in on Angel Island at high speed. He had been in route to the island since his confrontation with Tails earlier that morning... who he still believed to be dead.

"I've been flying for hours! That must've been the Master Emerald I've been sensing, but where the hell is it!?" Super growled to himself as he continued to search for the source of Chaos energy he had been sensing.

"This is ridiculous! Maybe I should have interrogated that little fox brat before I killed him."

Super looked down into the ocean and saw an island below him. A sadistic smile spread across the evil fox's muzzle as he pointed his palm straight out, facing the island below.

"Maybe I'll take out my frustration on that stupid little rock down there."

As he said this, a glowing red and yellow orb of pure energy appeared in the palm of his hand and began to expand. "Take this, you stupid little... huh!?" Super quickly stopped and the energy orb slowly shrank and disappeared.

"Wait a minute. I recognize this island." Super said as he quickly descended toward the island. Right before he hit the ground, Super stopped instantly and touched down gently, placing one foot on the ground, followed by the other.

"Ah, yes. This is Angel Island. I remember now. I may not share that runt's body anymore, but I still share his memories." Super chuckled as he began to look around the island.

"Well, now that I've found the location of the Chaos energy, now I can look for the source... the Master Emerald."

The golden psycho-kit then realized something.

"But... if this is Angel Island, then why wasn't it floating in the air like it should be?"

Super decided to dismiss the thought and thus, continued his search for the Master Emerald. He then began to laugh maniacally and he shouted, "Once I have found the Master Emerald, my power will be complete!"

****Back at Tails' Workshop****

Sonic and friends were still discussing their plan of attack when he noticed Tails just staring out into space.

"Hey, Tails? You okay?"

Tails remained silent for a few more moments, then began to speak as he continued staring out into nothing.

"I was right... he's on Angel Island."

The rest of the group stopped talking and turned to the seemingly zoned-out fox.

"Angel Island? Are you sure about that, Tails?" Knuckles asked, now entering Tails' larger than average peripheral vision. Tails finally snapped out of his trance-like state, looking up at the red echidna and said, "Yes, I am."

"But, how do you know that for sure, Tails?" Amy questioned the kit.

Tails just blinked and answered with, "I'm not sure, Amy. But it could have something to do with the fact that Super and I were once one and the same. Whatever the case, I can sense where he is... and he's definitely there."

************************

Tails was indeed right. His renegade Super form was on Angel Island and was now approaching the shrine of the Master Emerald. Super could feel his excitement growing as he was standing at the bottom of the steps leading up to the altar.

The sadistic Super slowly floated up the stone steps, up to the altar and the shrine of the Master Emerald.

"At last, the moment has arrived. Now, my power will be... WHAT!?!?"

The evil anti-fox couldn't believe what he was seeing. He was standing atop the Master Emerald shrine, but to his great displeasure...

"THE MASTER EMERALD ISN'T HERE?!?! WHERE THE HELL IS IT?!?!" Super roared in anger, punching a concrete pillar into rubble.

"It should be right here, it's always been right here! Unless..."

Super began to search the memories he possessed from when he and Tails had been of one mind, and saw an image of Knuckles shrinking the Master Emerald and placing it underneath his glove. Super then came to a realization.

"That damn echidna must have it! Of course, why wouldn't the floating island be floating? It must've just been remnants of the emerald's energy that I was sensing. No matter. I'm sure that dead fox's friends will be anticipating my arrival on this island and come looking for revenge, and no doubt the Guardian will have the emerald with him."

Super began to laugh maniacally as he shouted, "I hope those fools didn't miss that fox too much, because they will soon be joining him! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!"

************************

As Super awaited his visitors, Tails and the gang were preparing to depart for Angel Island to stop his pseudo-self once and for all. The fox and his friends were currently searching the remains of his laboratory for the Chaos Emeralds.

"Hey, did you guys find anything yet?" Tails called out to the others.

"Nothing yet." Sonic answered back.

"Hey, you guys! I found 'em!" Knuckles shouted from near the remnants of Tails' machine. As the others ran over to him, the echidna turned around with all seven Chaos Emeralds in his arms.

"Good job, Knuckles." Sonic said taking hold of the green emerald. "Alright, gang. Are we all ready to go?" Everyone nodded. "Okay, here we go! Chaos..."

"Sonic! Hold on!"

Sonic looked to his left and saw Tails looking up at him. "What's up, buddy?" He asked the little fox.

Tails attempted to ask his hedgehog friend a question. "Um, Sonic? Do you mind if... I uh... I mean, can I..."

Sonic smiled down at his little brother and said, "Tails... do you wanna give it a try?" Tails responded with noticeable nervousness present in his voice.

"Yeah... I think that I can do it."

Sonic handed the kit the emerald and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Go for it, lil' bro! I know you can do it!" Tails looked around at all of his friends, seeing the supportive expressions on their faces.

"Alright, then. You guys ready?" Tails asked, raising the emerald into the air. "Ready!" The group said together. The young vulpine smiled back at his friends.

"Okay, here we go... for Shadow. CHAOS... CONTROL!!" Tails shouted, and in an instant, a bright flash of light engulfed the group. Once the light had vanished, the group of friends were gone, on their way to Angel Island, and the biggest fight of their lives.

************************

A few moments later, Tails and the rest of his friends exited the Chaos Control, arriving on Angel Island.

"Hey, Tails! You did it! Tails?" Cream looked over to her left and saw the kit down on one knee, breathing heavily. "Are you alright, Tails?" The rabbit asked, worried for her friend.

Tails raised his head, still panting, and spoke.

"Yeah... I'll be fine. I never knew... how much energy... Chaos Control takes outta ya." Sonic took one look at his little buddy, then to the rest of his friends. Without saying a word, everyone nodded, knowing what Sonic was thinking and agreed to take a short break to allow Tails to rest to regain his strength.

"C'mon, Tails. Let's take five." The hedgehog said, helping the fox to his feet. Tails smiled back.

"'Kay, Sonic."

************************

As Tails and friends waited for the fox to rejuvenate, Super was keeping himself busy on the other side of the island, testing out his abilities on the landscape.

"Chaos..." Super shouted, cupping his hands together at his side as a ball of black and red energy built up in his palms, the energy continuing to grow larger.

"...WAVE!!" The superfox then thrust his palms forward, releasing the massive amount of ebony and crimson energy that had accumulated into a concentrated beam and aimed for a large boulder on the ground.

Just then, a large, overweight purple cat holding a fishing rod poked his head out from behind the rock. He turned to the frog resting on his shoulder and said, in a slow, idiotic voice, "Duh... look, Froggy. Pretty li..."

But before the mentally challenged cat could finish, he, as well as the boulder, was instantly incinerated by Super's attack. Once the dust had settled, all that remained was a pile of pebbles, one singed boot, and what appeared to be a frog's leg.

After admiring the destruction he had caused, Super closed his eyes, sensing a group of energy signals.

"...They're finally here. Perhaps I'll go and greet them personally."

The psychotic fox was about to fly off to the heroes' location when one of the energy signals inparticular caught his attention. "Well, this is unusual. One of their group has incredible power. Not as great as mine, but still pretty impressive. This one could pose a nuisance. I'll have to take him out first."

Super crossed his arms and began laughing insanely as he shouted, "Prepare yourselves, fools... for the final battle!" He then took off at tremendous speed, leaving a scorching hole in the ground where he stood.

************************

After resting up for a while, Tails stood up from the patch of grass he was laying in and turned to his friends.

"Alright, you guys. I'm good to go now. We need to find my psycho-self and stop him before anyone else gets hurt." The others nodded in agreement, then Sonic asked the fox a question.

"Yo, Tails. Can you sense where your Super self is now, like you did before?"

"I can try." Tails replied, closing his eyes and concentrating on Super's energy signal. The twin-tailed kit remained silent for a few more seconds, then opened his eyes.

"He's on the move."

The group of heroes gasped at this statement.

"Is he coming here?" Knuckles asked the fox.

"...Yes." Tails said with almost no emotion in his voice. His attention was caught however, when he heard Sonic speak.

"Well, gang? Are we just gonna stand around and wait for him to stop by and say hi? Or are we gonna take the fight to him and kick his psycho butt right now?" The blue hedgehog asked proudly in his heroic tone.

Tails smiled at his big brother. Sonic always had a way of boosting team morale when things looked bleak.

"You're right, Sonic. Let's go kick his butt!" Tails cheered. Knuckles was the next to add his support. "Yeah! I'm ready to give that two-tailed wannabe a knuckle sandwich!"

"Laaame." Amy said slowly and loudly.

"Who asked you!?"

"Just be careful, you guys." Cream said timidly.

"Don't worry, Cream." Tails reassured the rabbit. "If we all work together, no one can beat the power of friendship. Right, guys?"

"Right!" The gang shouted. "Okay, then... let's go!" The kit announced, thus beginning their search for what would no doubt be their greatest opponent yet.

************************

As the search continued for Tails' sick-minded Super form, Sonic noticed that the young kitsune had been rather quiet, so the blue speedster decided to break the silence.

"Hey, Tails. You've been awfully quiet. Is something the matter? Tails? TAILS!"

"Huh!? Oh, sorry Sonic. Did you say something?" Tails asked, snapping back to reality.

"Yeah... I asked if everything was okay." Sonic sighed. Tails looked at his long time friend and brother and said, "Actually, something is bothering me."

"Well, c'mon. Spill it."

The kitsune took a deep breath and began. "Alright, here goes. When we find Super, I want you guys to stay out of the fight. It's my fault that he was created in the first place. I don't want anyone to get hurt for my mistakes."

All of Tails' friends were shocked. The young fox still blamed himself for everything that had happened recently.

"Not gonna happen, lil' bro." Sonic said to his orange friend.

"Please, Sonic." Tails pleaded with the blue hero. "This is my responsibility. We already lost Shadow... I don't want anyone else to die because of me." The fox's voice was beginning to crack.

Sonic looked Tails directly in the eyes and said, "Listen, Tails. Firstly, Shadow didn't die BECAUSE of you, Shadow died FOR you... and it was his own choice. Secondly, you're our friend. If someone has a problem with you, they've got a problem with all of us."

"Yeah! No way we're letting you have all the fun!" Knuckles added. The double-tailed vulpine smiled at this comment.

"Alright, you guys. You win. Just promise me one thing... I get first crack against my anti-self."

Sonic chuckled at this and said, "You got it, pal." Amy's voice caught Tails' attention next. "Just be careful, you three." She said, adressing the three males.

"Yeah, we almost lost you once, Tails. I don't want to lose you again." Cream said as she approached the fox. Tails reassured the doe by saying, "Don't worry, Cream... You wo... Oh, no."

Before Tails could finish his sentence, his eyes grew wide and all of the color drained from his face. He was standing as still as a statue.

"Tails... What's wrong? Tails?" Cream asked, attempting to grab the kits' attention.

Tails spoke in a soft voice, devoid of any tone or emotion.

"...He's here."

The rest of the group started looking in every direction, trying to locate their unwelcome visitor, not realizing that he was only a few hundred yards away.

"They're aware of my presence. Now it's time to REALLY grab their attention." Super said as he raised his left hand, pointing his middle and index fingers at the unsuspecting group of heroes.

Super quickly searched his and Tails' shared memories, trying to decide who he should destroy first.

"Hmm... According to the brat's memories, that pink one over there is the most annoying of the bunch. Very well... she dies first! Chaos... BEAM!!" Suddenly, a thin beam of black and red energy burst from Super's fingertips, heading directly towards Amy!

The second that Super had released his attack, Tails immediately sensed the sudden surge of Chaos energy and whipped around, and to his horror, saw the deadly beam attack closing in on his pink friend.

"AMY, LOOK OUT!!!"

....To Be Continued