Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Act ❯ Heart to Heart ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Howdy!!! Sorry it took me so long to update this time! >.< I haven't been around as of late, but now I'm back! Muahahahaa *cough cough* O.O I got a hug! Shibby :D Aaaaand heres a new chapter for y'all! Knock yourselfs out.

*Shriner*
******


Now outside of the temple, it was clearly nightfall. I rubbed my eyes, trying to rid myself of sleepiness.

"Well, lets get started." Rouge said lively.

It was amazing how much energy she could still have, after running all throughout that temple. I looked back to make sure Sonic was still behind. He also seemed tired and worn out, his eyes were barely open.

"So how are actually going to find the emeralds? We have no hints, no clues." I said hazily.

The pearl bat then turned around, facing me directly, her eyes sly with devilish charm.

"With this." She said simply, holding up a small familiar radar.

I backed up two paces, startled by its second appearance. "That's Eggman’s..." I said nervously. "You don’t know if its safe." My left hand twitched, wanting to crush the device.

"Oh, it better be safe, unless Eggman was lying about me being his only chance." She said casually. "And its not like there's any more sufficient options, am I right?"

Looking at her for a moment, I finally sighed in defeat, then I noticed Rouge’s widened eyes focused on something behind me. Turning around, I saw Sonic lying against a tree. Laughing softly, I walked over to his slouched figure.

"Tired hedgehog?" I said teasingly, this being the only time I had ever seen Sonic let his body get the best of him.

"Just for a little bit..." He whispered, his eyes closed.

Not seeing him like this, I looked over my shoulder at Rouge, who shrugged, some help she is.

"Maybe we should rest, the next emerald is somewhere in Pumpkin Hill anyways, and that's who knows how many miles from here." This took me by surprise, bringing me back to the Master Emerald hunts I went in against Rouge herself.

Pumpkin Hill...

‘Might as well pay a visit...’ I thought silently to myself.

"What are you smiling about?" She asked, one hand on her hip.

"Me? Oh, just reminiscing..." I said quickly, not knowing that my content feelings were showing.

"Well, reminisce as much as you want, because there won’t be time for it tomorrow." With that she flapped her wings in one tastefully large wind, propelling herself to a nearby tree. She let her form down, resting on a neighboring tree limb, her eyes gleaming down at me.

They seemed abnormal in the dark, instead of deep green they flickered as two lime green ovals. Being that she was accustomed as a nocturnal creature, but it still made me subconsciously cringe.

I sauntered underneath the tree that she had sojourned in, and sat down in a half lotus form. Her dangling legs caught the corner of my eye, making a large distraction. To counter the problem, I closed my eyes softly, listening to the humming that was conjured by a chorus of crickets and other animals in the night.

It was most comforting, considering I hadn’t slept outside in weeks. And I definitely favored nature over machines. My thoughts drifted off into random events, caused by the venture into sleep, until I was interrupted.

"So..." Came a silky voice from above.

Opening my eyes wearily, I answered back. "So what?"

"Where'd you get the mark?" She asked.

My eyes widened from closed until normal. ‘What did she mean? What mark?’ Then I figured out her metaphor, my scar.

"I’d rather not say." I said quietly, denying her of an answer.

"Oh come on, no one else is here, except Sonic, and he’s asleep anyways."

After her mention of the blue hedgehog, my eyes wandered over to his hunched figure that leaned against a neighboring tree.

"You can be yourself, I don’t have anyone else to tell it to anyways, so just say it." She said plainly.

"Your now an official pain in the ass, you know that?" I said, my words like venom.

I heard her sigh, then shift. "I don’t see what the problem is, its only a story. Most I know love to tell stories." She said tastefully.

"Well this is one story that doesn’t deserve to be told." I said softly. My mind raced to the creature who had done this to me, until a soft thump rattled the ground I rested on.

Rouge was now sitting next to me, her shoulders seemed tight, as if she were nervous.

"Someone always needs to tell something about them, for others to understand." She said sheepishly. I was intrigued by her efforts to pry open my feelings, it was almost flattering, but not.

"You could never understand me..." I replied. Avoiding her eyes.

"And you couldn’t understand me either." She said flatly.

She definitely had me there, good at mind games.

And at being nosey...

Finally I responded "Its from a fight, and that's all." I looked to my right, completely blocking her from my sight.

"What fight?" My temper was growing short, but I restrained it, even if she wasn’t the most courteous, she was still a lady.

"An... An unexpected one, and that's all I’m going to say, so stop asking." I said, with a slightly threatening tone.

"Fine, fine. Even one word about your personal life is good enough for me." She said sarcastically.

Smirking, I looked up at the canopy, admiring all the white blotches of stars that shown through the leafy branches. As I looked back down, I thought of a very interesting question for the bat.

"So, what did you mean earlier, about you being safer with us around? I asked, now glancing over at her.

Her ears lowered, the moon eluded her face, shadowing her features in a delicate manner. "Someone is making sure that I get the job done, and if I don’t by tomorrow's sundown, that's it for me..."

"Who?" I asked with interest. ‘So now Eggman has a few bodyguards... Probably some stupid clunkers...’

"Someone... I... We, definitely thought we’d never see again."

My heart jumped, realizing who she meant. The hedgehog who had fallen from ARK.

Shadow.

******

*Dramatic music* Yes, yes I couldn't help it! I added the black hedgehog that went bye bye. Now he's back. But not as a good guy. So er... Yeh :P See you next chapter ^_^