Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Feelings ❯ Final Feelings ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

**DISCLAIMER**
 
I do not own the Sonic characters... unfortunately. If I did, then we'd be seeing lovely yaoi and yuri everywhere. But mostly yaoi. Sonic the Hedgehog and all characters within the Sonic market are © SEGA/Sonic Team.
 
**********
 
"No way that's getting through!"

Sonic held his hands up in an attempt to push the falling space colony away from Earth's atmosphere. Beside him, Shadow the Hedgehog did the same. Suddenly, he heard a familiar voice echo out to his mind.

"Shadow... I beg of you..."

Shadow's head turned slightly to the side.

"Maria..."

The voice of the long lost girl called out to him.

"Give them a chance to be happy."

Shadow gritted his teeth together, Sonic's stolen glances going unnoticed to him. Sonic thought to himself.

'When this is all over, I'll tell him how I feel...'

The groaning of the space colony's atmosphere entry snapped Sonic back to reality, and he called out to his dark rival.

"Now, Shadow!"

Shadow snapped back to reality, glancing over at the blue hedgehog next to him. Giving a nod to each other, both hedgehogs began to release Chaos energy.

"Chaos Control!"

A blinding flash of light surrounded the two hedgehogs and ARK, all of them disappearing. ARK reappeared in a safe orbit, but Shadow weakened and began to lose his energy.

"Maria... this is what you wanted, right? This is my promise I made to you."

Sonic immediately flew to intercept the weakening hedgehog.

"Shadow, we did it! Come with me!"

The ultimate hedgehog shook his head solemnly.

"I can't... I won't have enough energy to make it back, and you can't carry me. You won't make it if you bring me."

Sonic's eyes began to quiver, not wanting to leave his doppleganger behind.

"I don't want to leave you... I don't want you to die."

Shadow looked confused.

"Why? It is my desire to fulfill Maria's wish, and then to join her in the next realm."

Sonic's eyes started to fill with tears.

"No, don't! You're needed here!"

The Ultimate Lifeform closed his eyes.

"Who could possibly need me?"

Sonic threw his arms around his rival, causing Shadow to open his eyes in surprise.

"I need you, Shadow... I need you!"

A light blush came over Shadow's face, until he realized that Sonic was running out of energy to maintain his super form. A tear emerged from the dark hedgehog's eyes as he hugged back, gathering up his last bit of Chaos Energy.

"I'm sorry, Sonic..."

Sonic cried out in desparation.

"Shadow, wait!"

The Ultimate Lifeform finalized everything with his two popular words.

"Chaos Control!"

Sonic clinged tightly onto Shadow, feeling the Chaos Control being absorbed into his body.

"SHADOW!~"

The heroic hedgehog disappeared in a bright flash of light, reappearing in an empty room on the space colony. He desperately banged his fists on the glass window, trying to smash it so he could go back to the Ultimate Lifeform, but to no avail. He looked out in horror as Shadow's super form faded, and the black hedgehog fell down to Earth.

"NO! SHADOW!"

Shadow's eyes closed, the atmosphere burning into him. Somehow hearing Sonic's screams of anguish, the black hedgehog shed another tear, speaking in a soft whisper.

"I love you, Sonic..."

As he fell through the atmosphere, the dark hedgehog's vision faded to darkness.

-----

Back on ARK, Sonic watched in distress as Shadow disappeared from sight. Everyone aboard the ARK had heard the blue hedgehog's screams and had run to the source, arriving at the room together. They found Sonic knelt down on the floor, sobs the only noise to be heard in the room. The true reason for Shadow's absence hadn't sunk in to the others yet. The blue hedgehog looked up, noticing the others through his teary eyes. Rouge broke the brief silence.

"Where's Shadow?"

Sonic lowered his head, more tears emerging from his eyes. The hedgehog gave a shake of his head, followed by a soft sob. It was then that everyone realized what had happened. Shadow's absence and Sonic's obvious anguish could only mean one thing.

"He... he didn't make it."

The blue hedgehog clenched his hands into fists and pounded them into the floor. Suddenly, Sonic noticed that he had something on his wrist. Glancing at it, he saw Shadow's bracelet. Taking it off, he held it up to Rouge, who gently took it and gazed at it.

"Do you really think... that the professor created him... Shadow... to carry out the revenge on all those who lived here on Earth?"

It took everything Sonic could muster for him to stand up, but when he did, he gazed out the window, a faraway look in his eyes.

"He was what he was. A brave and heroic hedgehog, who gave his life to save his planet. Shadow the Hedgehog."

Sonic's mind added a few things to the list.

'Handsome and mysterious. I love him... but now he's gone.'

Rouge glanced at the bracelet, her eyes closing.

"I guess you're right."

Sonic scowled.

'Of course I'm right, you fool... He deserved to live.'

Sonic was snapped out of his thoughts by Rouge holding the bracelet out at him.

"I think it would be best if you kept this. It's the only thing left, save a few documents and our memories."

Blinking tears out of his eyes, Sonic sniffled and took the bracelet from the bat.

"Th-thank you."

Rouge gave a sad smile, watching as the blue hedgehog placed the bracelet back on his wrist.

"You're welcome. We've all suffered a loss, but you're appearing to be feeling the most pain. I'll give you some time alone."

Rouge walked away to speak to Knuckles, leaving the blue hedgehog to stand by the window, swimming in his thoughts and memories. He remembered what Shadow had told him during their fight with the Finalhazard.

"Sonic... I now know who the Ultimate Lifeform is. It's you, Sonic!"

More tears came out of Sonic's eyes.

"Am I really... the Ultimate Lifeform?"

Suddenly, he was interrupted as Amy expressed her concern.

"What's the matter, Sonic?"

Sonic wanted to throw Amy down into Earth's atmosphere, but instead, he faked a smile and shook his head.

"Oh, it's nothing. Come on! Let's go home, to the planet as cool and blue as me."

The others began to walk out of the room, Sonic staying behind to gaze out the window.

"Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog."

Turning away, Sonic left the room, the door closing behind him. Walking behind the others, Sonic's mind suddenly hatched a plan.

-----

The blue hedgehog closed his eyes and stopped walking.

'There is a way... I can see him again...'

Silently, Sonic sneaked away and walked around the colony alone. It took a while, but he finally found where he wanted to go. The heroic hedgehog glanced at the door, and read the inscription on it.

"Primary Airlock. Operate with caution."

A sad smile came over Sonic's face, more tears flowing from his eyes as he re-enacted the vision of Shadow falling to Earth over and over again.

"I'm going to see you again. We'll be together for eternity."

Uknown to Sonic, his absence hadn't gone long undetected. It was Eggman who had noticed the blue hedgehog wasn't with them. Tails realized what his best friend must be upto, his eyes going wide.

"No... Sonic..."

He began running in the opposite direction, followed by Amy, Knuckles, Rouge and Eggman.

'Please don't do it, Sonic... The world needs you.'

Back at the airlock, Sonic closed his eyes, remembering his first meeting with Shadow.
**FLASHBACK**

"It all starts with this. A jewel containing the ultimate power."
 
Sonic looked at Shadow in surprise.

"That's the... Chaos Emerald! Now I know what's going on! The military has mistaken me for the likes of you. So just where do you think you're going with that emerald? Say something, you fake hedgehog!"

Shadow held the Chaos Emerald out and called out his two famous words.

"Chaos Control!"

A bright green light surrounded Shadow, making the black hedgehog suddenly appear next to Sonic, and disappear once again, reappearing atop a building.

"Woah... he's fast. Hey, it's not his speed. He must be using the Chaos Emerald to warp!"

Shadow smirked down at Sonic.

"My name is Shadow. I am the world's ultimate lifeform. I have no time for games. Farewell!"

Using the Chaos Emerald again, Shadow disappeared, leaving Sonic to be captured by the military.
 
**BACK TO REALITY**

The blue hedgehog gazed through the airlock windows and at the stars.

"Shadow... I love you... I shall be with you again..."

Gritting his teeth, Sonic grabbed hold of a railing, before using his other hand to push the button to open the airlock, causing the door to fly open, and air to be sucked out of the colony. At the same time, the depressurisation caused ARK to shudder violently. Tails realized what had happened.

"He's opened the airlock!"

Increasing speed, the group ran around the corner, just in time to see Sonic let go of the railing and fly into open space, making everyone, including Eggman scream out in horror.

"SONIC!~"

Sonic's eyes closed, tears flowing freely from them.

'I'm sorry guys... I had to do this. I can't live without him.'

The blue hedgehog found himself caught in the gravitational pull of the Earth, and he opened his eyes one final time.

"I'll be with you in a moment, Shadow... with you forever..."

Falling through the atmosphere, Sonic felt his body burn up, and he suddenly felt a weight released from his heart. A few moments later, his eyes closed forever as he entered the portal to the next realm. Sonic the Hedgehog... was dead.