Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Gran Pas De Deux ❯ Things just get keep getting worse. ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter Three: Things just get keep getting worse.
 
Written by Daniel Sargeant
 
(Yay, it's my turn again. I don't own anything in this story, except the story itself (Shared of course with my Writing Buddy. ^^)
 
Before anything I want to make a few comments.
Shadow 6271
`Just I hope you two manage to keep Shadow In character, its a pain (i know from experience) but it has to be done for a real Shad romance fiction.'
Tsuikai: Well, Shadow 6271, this is a matter of opinion. You see, me and Kululu, we think alike, and our variation of the `real' Shadow may differ from that of yours. It's like us changing Tails to a girl. It's all a matter of how we see things.
`I do wander what happened to Shadow though, hes a bit nicer to others than usual. oh well theres plenty of evil Shadow fics around i suppose i can take a slightly OC one,'
Tsuikai: Well, this is explained later too, is Shadow Evil? Or misunderstood? Personally, I believe Shadow to be a fairly decent guy, after all, Maria was his best friend for many years. Maybe he acts the way he does because… well, he doesn't want to be hurt again. I do find it amusing that people assume because Shadow's first intentions were… misread, thus evil, then he must be an evil guy. Funny how people forget that it was a jarred memory of Maria that made him that way, and the fact that Shadow indeed helped save the world… several times, he hardly refused, did he?
 
Lunarian
`I don't hate it per say, but it really has too much of a highschool fic to it. The whole Sonic cast hanging out at Tails like its an everyday thing, and listenin to music... I cant recall them ever once having that type of party atmosphere.'
Tsuikai: Um… yeah, it's called Fanfic… we do what we want. Don't you think it'd be a bit dull in a game of Sonic that you just `hangout' at Tails house? It'd also be dull reading fanfics that mainly revolve around `saving the world.' Even heroes need their breaks.
`And where'd Tikal come from? Is this a total AU or is she projected out of the master emerald? Things are being mentioned here with no backstory.'
Tsuikai: Yah… it's called plot. It makes you think a little like this, this is what I expected. Do you say this to all fanfics that have Tikal appear for no reason, by the way? If we get things like this over Tikal (who I've often seen impossibly appearing in fanfic.), I wonder what the reaction will be to a specific character later.
`Is there supposed to have been a history of Shadow/Tails interaction here or is Tails sudden crush just now, cause it seems soo sudden its jarring.'
Tsuikai: Oh, my apologies, I'll work on that when I get time. In my personal opinion, Tails crush on Shadow has been dormant for quite some time, if not when she first laid eyes on him. As crushes tend to do, the more you push them away, the worse it gets. Tails crush may or may not be explained, not sure.
`Plus Shadow helping... although it could be him just tryin to get away from Sonic and the sickening antics of Knuckles.'
Tsuikai: Shadow is not evil, just misunderstood, in my opinion. He's misguided and lost. As far as I am concerned, he's almost as good as Sonic is, he just likes to keep to himself. (After all, it's not like he outright refuses to save the world, right?)
`Even if Tails is female... I don't see the whole ballet thing, I mean where would she find the time or privacy to learn it.'
Tsuikai: Oh… well, maybe you shouldn't read anymore if this bothers you, since this is the whole deal, Tails doing Ballet. The romance is on the side, basically.
`I like how you don't have Tails angst or anythin about Creams teary face, just a simple regret then back to usual.'
Tsuikai: You liked this? Okay, fair enough.
`I wonder if Shadow knows Tails is a girl here, his actions and thoughts seem to say it.'
Tsuikai: Hmm, yes, we wonder this as well…
 
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Don't take offence by my words, feel honoured I replied to you. ^_^
 
Enjoy.)
 
Tails awoke from the slumber she had sunk into. She stared at the roof for several moments, before closing her eyes and rolling over, trying to catch a few more zees. She opened her eyes and closed them, suddenly jolting them open again. Shadow was lying next to her, looking into her eyes intently. He leaned over and their lips collided…
Tails shot awake in a cold sweat. She looked at the ceiling again, then left and right. Shadow wasn't there.
“It was… just a dream.” Tails sighed with relief. She sat up and pushed the covers off of her, wiping her face a little. It was only then she realised she was in her clothes she was in yesterday. “Huh?” She pondered. “I wonder why I'm still in these clothes. Usually I dress for…” Tails held her words as she lifted a finger to her lips in thought. `Unless… I never actually made it to my bed… I remember being sat on the floor… it was dark and I was going to get up and tell everyone it's time to leave… then…' Tails was cut off by the phone ringing, which startled her enough to make her fall off the bed onto her butt. She quickly hoped to her feet, rubbing her bottom whilst picking the phone up. She pulled it to her eat and pushed the answer button. “Hello?” she muttered sleepily.
“Hey, Tikal?!” Tails suddenly pulled the phone from her ear at the sudden out burst from a familiar sounding echidna. Tails pulled the phone back to her ear carefully. “Is this thing on?! It's not working!”
“Knuckles… it's working.” Tails said to him.
“Oh, hey Tails!” Knuckles yelled down the phone. Tails again had to pull the phone away from her ear. She put it back and spoke before he continued yelling.
“Knuckles, you don't need to shout down the phone… I can hear you just…”
“So, yeah, I was thinking you me, the girls, Sonic and the others head down toward the park today. They got a fare thing there happening and couples get in free… So, Sonic's going with Amy, I'm going with Tika…” A sudden female voice echoed from the background.
“I said don't call me Tika!” Tails had at this point lost interest as she was slowly going off back to sleep on her feet. The two echidna's continued to bicker over the phone, whilst Tails nearly fell to one side.
“So, anyway Tails,” Knuckles finally continued. “Shadow's going with Rouge,” Tails eyes widened, and everything seem to stop. `Shadow with… Rouge…?' Tikal's voice suddenly boomed in instead of Knuckles.
“And we've paired you with Cream. Have fun.” Tails suddenly snapped out of her trance and had her own outburst.
“You did what?” Click. “Hey! Tikal! You did what?!” No response. Tails slammed the phone down. `After all we spoke about yesterday, you'd think they'd get it.' Tails mentally yelled. Tails proceeded to remove her clothes from yesterday and retrieve some clean ones for today.
 
Tails left her room, in a lovely pair of short jeans and large white t-shirt, fit for lounging around, she walked downstairs and into the kitchen. She looked out the window, and there was Shadow, grinning wickedly at her, leaning on the outside of the window. Tails blushed, blinked and looked, Shadow wasn't there. She bobbed herself on the head. `Come on… I'm not that obsessed with him… am I?' A sudden hand touched her shoulder.
“You shouldn't do that, Tails. You'll give yourself a headache.” Tails jumped, screamed a little and span to see whom it was. Sonic was stood there.
“S-Sonic… you scared me…” Tails stuttered, trying to catch lost breath.
“Yeah… I seem to be doing that a lot recently.” Sonic looked curiously into Tails eyes. “Are you okay, lil bud? You seem to be out of it these days.” He asked worriedly.
“Um… I'm fine Sonic.” Tails replied as she walked to the side of the room. “Oh, by the way. We're all going to the park with a fair…” Tails cut Sonic off.
“I already know.” She snapped suddenly. Sonic was slightly startled by this.
“You want to come?”
“No.” Tails suddenly blurted of the tip of her tongue.
“Why not, Tails?”
“Because Tikal decided to play matchmaker.” Tails walked towards a cupboard with her bowls in.
“You mean Cream?” Sonic said. “She does feel for you, bud. She really does…” Tails cut him off again.
“I know you're trying to be nice, but I really don't want Cream to think…” Tails held her words. Sonic waited for her to continue. “She's a sweet girl, and I love her like my little sister, but I just don't `feel' for her. I will always love her to bits as a sister… but I just don't think I can go out with her.” Tails turned to Sonic. “I'm sorry, I just don't want to be with her.” Tails said.
“I understand that, bud… but it's still a free ticket to a fun outing. Just be her `date' for it and we can all share a good time. I'm putting up being with Amy… and Shadow is putting up with being with Rouge.” Simply putting up with it? He doesn't actually like her? Tails had lost herself in her thoughts. “What do you say, bud? Put up with it for the fun day out?”
“Fine… but only putting up with it.” Tails replied. Sonic smiled.
“Good, lets go.” The hedgehog proceeded to leave. Who knows little bud, this might change your mind. I know we are setting you up, but we feel it's for the best…
 
Tails and Sonic approached the Café, where everyone was supposed to meet. Tails wasn't looking forward to this at all, not one bit.
“They're aren't all going to be dressed all fancy, are they?” Tails questioned Sonic. Tails was in a pair of orange short cut jeans, a large baggy white shirt with Miles Prower neatly printed on the front and back and her traditional shoes, though shaped more into a robotic feel. She decided wearing her gloves would be unnecessary. Sonic was in a large pair of blue jeans, a normal blue shirt with Speed printed on the front, a large blue body warmer and his traditional shoes, that had been altered up during the Ark incident.
“Nah, it'll be fine. They won't be all fancy dress.” Sonic said to reassure his young friend. Tails sighed.
“No doubt Cream's going to have gone completely out of her way to impress me.” She said half mockingly, half sarcastically.
“There they are.” Sonic said as they began to approach their friends. Tails looked at Knuckles first. He was in a large pair of red tracksuit bottoms and a green t-shirt, covered by a red coat, his traditional shoes and gloves. Tails turned her gaze on Amy, who had obviously gone out of her way for sonic, as she was in a large pink dress, complete with long pink sleeved gloves and High heels, red lipstick, her traditional headband and her hammer hidden behind her back. Obviously, she wants Sonic to treat her right. Tails then looked at rouge, who expectantly enough was in a pair of jeans and jean-made jacket, a thin t-shirt showing most of the cleavage around her chest, her lips covered neatly by a purple lipstick. I hope she's not planning anything. Tails looked at Cream, who was shyly hiding behind Tikal. Tikal was wearing a long white skirt and white button shirt. She looked quite pretty, what with her sandals and hairpiece that shifted her locks to one side of her head, which actually did look nice on her. Cream was in a cream coloured dress and had a cream coloured headband, sweet little white high heals on and cream lipstick. Tails sighed a little, not so much that anyone would notice. I knew it… Tails turned her gaze to Shadow and her jaw dropped. He was dressed in black leather trousers, his traditional shoes, a large white shirt with `Shadow' graphitised on the front and a large black leather jacket. He had his traditional gloves, with the rings on. Tails was in awe, it was only until Sonic prodded her that she snapped out of it. “What's wrong bud? Shadow taken your interest or somethin?”
“Hu..huh? N-no… h-he just looks so… handsome… Cool.” Tails stuttered.
“Calm down, little bud. Let's go, shall we?” And so off they all went. Amy and Sonic in front.
“Now, guy's don't forget to hold your partners hand.” Amy said, looking back at the group, by mainly focusing on Cream and Tails. Amy let out a quiet giggle as Cream nervously, yet solidly took Tails hand.
“Oh… Tails, are you okay? You're shaking.” Cream asked the obviously shaking fox. Tails was sweating a little too; she was highly uncomfortable with this.
“Um… I'm… fine, Cream… Just a tad… cold.” Tails lied. Cream giggled a little.
“But it's a hot sunny day, Tails. It's hard to be cold out here.” she mentioned. Tails remained quiet as the group came up to the counters. Amy seemed to jump with joy and Tails could have sworn Sonic looked like he was going to crumble to his knees screaming `NOOOOO!!!!'. Tails saw Knuckles and Tikal, Tikal becoming frustrated as Knuckles laughed his head off. Rouge and Shadow walked past as normal and then Tails and Cream came to the counter.
“Oh, yet another cute couple. Well, can you sign these hearts please?” Tails and Cream took a pen and signed the hearts, the man took them and put them through a machine and came back with two badges. He gave them to the two. The badges shaped like hearts.
“Um, sir… I'm not Cream, I'm Tails.” Tails told him.
“I know, you must put on each other's badges.” The man chuckled. “Also, tie this string around your baby fingers.” He added, passing a red string over. This shot Tails nerves to more so than she needed.
“Um… do we…?” Before Tails could finish, Cream tied it gently to her left hand saying.
“Oh, Tails… isn't this so romantic?” Tails sighed and did as she was told, placing her badge on her shirt, well… Cream's badge.
 
Tails and Cream walked over to the others, Knuckles still laughing his head off.
“What's so funny Knuckles?” Cream asked sweetly. Knuckles showed his glove.
“My gloves have no finger points, like mittens, so I can't…” Riiiip! Tikal had just `made' a finger point for Knuckles hand in his glove and tied the String to it. “Hey! You know what these gloves are worth?” He barked at her.
“Not as much as they used to be.” Tails replied as a joke, this made Shadow laugh, though the others didn't. Sonic glared over to his rival and friend. Shadow laughing at a joke? No way… He thought.
“Well, guys. Let's find something to do.” Sonic said.
“Oohhh... Sonic, lets go on the `Tunnel of looove.'” Sonic suddenly gulped and looked at his friends for help. None gave it to him.
“Hey, Shadow baby… let's go on some of the fast moving stuff, come on.” Rouge said to Shadow.
“I'll come too…” Tails said, wanting to stay near Shadow, only cause she was worried about Rouge. Wait! Why am I worried? I don't like Shadow like that, this is just fun… besides, Cream is…
“But I find those rides scary, Tails. Please can we go on something a bit nicer?” Cream said, tugging at Tails shirt. Tails looked at Shadow, who simply shook his head.
 
 
“Sorry Tails, but since you're tied to Cream and she doesn't want to go where we are going, you're gonna have to miss out. See ya later.” Tails stood there, seemingly in shock. I… I don't get it… he was being normal, just typical Shadow… yet that stung me like nothing I'd ever heard before… it's like someone just took a knife, rammed it into my chest and is twisting it… Tails seemed to be tearing up. Cream noticed.
“Tails? Are you okay? You look like you're about to cry.” She said, looking concerned. Tails quickly pulled it together and rubbed her eyes, accidentally yanking Cream's arm up a bit.
“Yeah, I'm fine… it's… just a bug.” Tails said, she finished clearing her eyes and smiled at Cream. “So, wh-where would you like to go first, Cream?”
 
~~~A few Hours Later~~~
 
Cream and Tails were walking down the park, they walked past a sign, and Tails naturally looked at it and then away but froze. Cream got yanked back all of a sudden.
“T-Tails?” Cream fussed. Tails looked at the sign.
“Hey, Cream, would you like to see this?” The sign said about a Ballet Performance shown every 2 hours.
“Um… not really Tails, it finishes in half an hour and they have a break for another hour.” Cream replied. Tails ears dropped. Stupid Cream… we did all your crap rides, but I want to do something but noooo… “Tails?”
“Okay… let's move on.” Tails said, though she had to try hard to pull herself away. The two walked around and came toward the small ice cream café set up. The two saw Shadow and Rouge enjoying a banana split made for two… well, at least, Rouge was. Tails looked over, she noticed Shadow hardly seemed interested in the ice cream. The two were about to walk over and chat, when Rouge jumped onto Shadows lap and without hesitation went to kiss him. Tails saw this and was about to charge over, out of her own mind, forgetting who `she's supposed to be.' She would have caused much more suspicion that usually, if it weren't for a sudden tug on her baby finger. Tails turned around, suddenly remembering whom she was tied to. She looked back over to Shadow and sighed as she noticed he was pushing rouge away. She fell to the floor on her butt, Shadow snapped the string, took of the badge and walked out. Tails only just noticed Cream removed her string to go see Rouge, Tails went after Shadow.
 
In the end, Tails had lost Shadow and returned to Cream and Rouge; Rouge seemed upset, which was a first for her. Tails didn't want to mention anything. She just walked over and sat in a seat, looking at the string attached to her finger still. She imagined Shadow on the other end, and slowly she wondered off into a daydream, whilst Cream was struggling to stop Rouge from bursting into tears. It wasn't before Amy and Sonic, who was a pale as King Boom Boo from the Ark days, came along and Amy soon walking over to Rouge to see what's going on. Tails rested her head in her arms, continuing to think of Shadow… and that ballet performance she missed.
 
Sonic shook Tails shoulder, urging her awake. Tails opened her eyes and looked at Sonic. It seemed later in the day.
“Hey, bud… let's go home, shall we?” he said.
“Uh, Sonic…? What time is it?” Tails questioned him.
“You've been sleeping for over an hour, the place is about ready to close up. Shadow's been here watching over you, whilst Rouge took Cream around. They didn't want to disturb you, and since Shadow had nothing better to do…” Sonic was cut off by the black hedgehog.
“I think he gets the point, Sonic.” Sonic looked over to Shadow, as did Tails. Tails was still somewhat awestruck at his appearance.
“Okay… so we are going home?” Tails questioned.
“Yeah.” Sonic replied. Tails stood, stretched and looked at the two and smiled. The three then went off to catch the others, who had gone on ahead.
 
 
 
After they got home, Tails ran up the stairs. Cream following. The others came in and did typical stuff. Tails entered her room and Cream knocked on the door. Tails turned to face the blushing doe.
“So, um… Tails. Did you have fun?” She asked. Tails looked at her curiously, but nodded in reply, then worded.
“I did. It was mildly entertaining watching Rouge shove Knuckles hotdog down his throat.” Tails joked, smiling at her.
“Um, I was wondering. I know you said you're not good with dates… but, um… I would really like to go to the movies with you. I just want you to know…” Tails walked over and place her hands on Cream's shoulders, looking deep into the young does eyes.
“Cream… I'm really sorry… It's not that I'm not interested in you, you're a very sweet girl, but I just can't feel for you the way you feel for me. I hope you understand that…” Before Tails could finish, Cream had already broken Tails grip and ran out in tears. She ran downstairs and to the first person she knew to comfort her. Tails came out to the stairs and looked down at Cream with Amy. She was about to go back into her room when…
“Don't move, Tails!” Amy boomed. She led Cream over to Rouge, who took her into a hug. Amy then stormed towards Tails, Sonic attempting to get in the way.
“Now, now Amy… calm down…” He said. Amy didn't listen as she stormed up the stairs directly facing Tails.
“WHY did you have to break her heart like that? You're so selfish Tails!” Amy roared at the poor fox. Tails in guilt, lowered her ears and tried to explain herself.
“I tried to let her down as softly as I…”
“Shut up! She's only young; you're her first crush! Why can't you at least just give her a chance, huh? It's not like a life sentence or anything. It isn't marriage. Who knows you might…” It was unknown what it was or why it happened, but something in Tails snapped and she roared right in Amy's face.
“I don't want to go out with her, okay!!!” She boomed, this getting everyone's attention and making Cream cry harder. This upset Amy so much, she gave Tails a shove. To bad about their current positions as instead of being able to balance on the floor, Tails took a tumble down the flight of partially metal, partially wooden stairs, crashing her head on the banisher at the turn part of the stairs at the bottom. Letting out a horrific scream and tears, Tails rolled over on the floor, clutching the back of her head. This got Sonic and Shadows attention as they both rushed over, the others showing concern to a normal level. Shadow lifted Tails to her feet and removed Tails hand to see the damage, but the moment he and Sonic saw Tails bloodstained gloves, that was all that needed to be seen. Sonic gave an angry glare up the stairs toward Amy, who jumped in fright at it. Never before had he done that.
“Shadow. Take Tails into the kitchen and get him patched up. Amy! Get down here, now!” Sonic ordered around. Shadow picked Tails up into his arms and took her into the kitchen as Amy walked down the stairs like she had been caught with her hand in the cookie jar.
 
Shadow had already set tear-filled Tails down on a stool, collected a roll of first aid bandages and a few other first aid stuff, and was already cleaning and disinfecting the cut, making Tails quince and cry a little with each touch.
“I think it's about time to take out the parts of metal in your stairs. You've managed to split your head open.” Shadow said to her, somewhat soothingly.
“Let's get one thing straight… Amy split my head open.” Tails moaned. Shadow had finished up cleaning and had moved onto bandaging up her wound. Tails was blushing like an idiot.
“Well, now you know Amy isn't one you want to make angry.” Shadow advised the hurt fox.
“Why, Shadow… are you scared of Amy?” Tails questioned him, slightly mockingly.
“Not in the slightest. But she can be mean at times.” Shadow finished up the bandages and let the young fox go. Tails got of the stool and stumbled to the side, where Shadow caught her in his arms. She looked up at the dark hedgehogs eyes and searched for his inner thoughts through them. Shadow looked half concerned, half confused. “Are you okay?” He questioned. Tails then suddenly realised their current position and quickly pulled herself away from him, blushing yet again.
“I'm… I'm fine, thanks, Sh-Shadow.” Tails stuttered. “I think I'm going to head to bed now. Okay?”
“Sure thing, you need the rest. I'm going to help Sonic deal with Amy. Have a nice rest.” And off Shadow walked. Tails decided facing Amy again was a bad idea, so she took the longer way to a second flight of stairs upstairs. She reached her room and took off her shirt, looking at herself in the mirror. She turned to her side, whilst looking at herself, looking at her own chest. It's only a matter of time before they are too big to conceal. She thought to herself. She proceeded to change into some sleeping-wear and slumped on her bed, crawling under the covers.
 
I thought yesterday was bad… man, things just keep getting worse…