Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Inked in flame ❯ Chapter the first:Nightmares of an orphan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
is the first fanfic I have written that does not have me in it and that actually has a plot. I know I’m great and everyone loves me (deal with it) but I want to dictate how the Sonic crew would do without me. This is just a bit of a warm-up chapter, so it isn't very long. I promise the next chapter will be longer though. So, onwards to the plot! Oh and: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Rouge, Jet, Wave, Storm, Big, Vector, Charmy and Espio all belong to the SEGA corporation.

Chapter the first:Nightmares of an orphan

It was a beautiful day in Mystic Ruins. The clouds were floating lazily across the sky, and the birds were singing a tune. As it happened, on this particular day, Tails the fox was carrying out an important experiment. He was using some new chemicals he had bought on Ebay. He was trying to create a more efficient fuel for the Tornado. He was just on the brink of a big discovery when a gust blew his door shut. He smiled. He walked into his living room to see one of his best friends and heroes on his chair, watching his television. Sonic grinned at his pal. “Sorry Tails, but your T.V has the best resolution in the world!” he explained.
“You only watch T.V when you know you’re on the news. So what did you do this time?” Tails asked.
“I put out a raging forest fire.” Sonic said, puffing his chest out.
“Just like last week.” Tails replied smugly.
Sonic frowned. Tails was 10 now, and had discovered what sarcasm was in a big way. Still, Sonic was secretly proud of the way Tails was turning out. Having been almost like an adopted big brother to the fox, Sonic felt almost as if Tails was his responsibility. Secretly, Sonic wondered how long it would be before Tails got himself a girlfriend. He smiled as he watched a blue blur put out a raging forest fire on the T.V.

Knuckles was channelling powerful chaos energy on Angel island. He was waiting, watching. He could feel a familiar presence from far away. But he could also feel another, much more familiar presence that was a lot closer. He frowned as he realised who it was. Another day, another attempt to steal my emerald by that conniving bat, he thought to himself. He seemed to see a lot more of Rouge these days. Privately, he was in two minds about these frequent visits. He was annoyed at the fact that she wanted to steal the emerald, of course. But what was that other feeling he had when he saw her? It wasn’t anger, or annoyance. So what was it? He groaned and got up. He walked out and prepared to protect the island.

“Can I have that one? Can I, can I?”
Vanilla smiled as her daughter took out a new dress from the rack. She, Cream and Amy were shopping. Cream showed her mother the dress she had picked. It was orange, with a white zig-zagged hem and collar. It seemed to suit Cream perfectly. “Any particular reason for that dress, Cream?” Amy said, looking at her.
“Well, I just like it! That’s all! Can we buy it?” Cream asked.
“Sure.”, Vanilla said.
Cheese fluttered around Cream’s head, making high pitched squeaks. Cream laughed, and went over to the tie rack to search for a new bowtie for him. Afterwards, they brought their shopping to the counter. As Cream and Cheese rushed of to the next shop, Amy walked alongside Vanilla.
“Tell me truthfully, Vanilla. Who does that dress remind you of?” asked Amy, pointing to Cream’s new dress.
“Well, Amy, it reminds me of a certain two-tailed fox who just so happens to be a good friend of my daughter.” Vanilla said, smiling.
“I think that’s who it reminds her of, too…” Amy said thoughtfully.

Tails bade Sonic farewell, and returned to work on his experiment. He thought about his friends as he worked. Sonic, his ‘big brother’, Knuckles, the reliable yet stubborn martial artist, Amy, the love-struck hedgehog, Rouge, the greedy jewel thief, Shadow, the enigmatic ebony hedgehog, Charmy, a good if slightly annoying friend, Vanilla, a kind, caring rabbit and Cream. For some reason, Tails could never figure out what he thought about Cream. Cream was, well, Cream, he had concluded. There was no other way he was willing to describe her. It was nighttime now, and Tails decided it was time to hit the hay. As he tucked himself up in bed, he had a sudden longing for the mother he couldn’t remember. It occurred to him that he had been tucking himself into bed for as long as he could remember. He frowned, and rolled over to try and get some sleep.

Tails was flying, flying higher than he had ever flown before. The sky was a perfect blue, and the clouds seemed like puffy balls of white cotton wool above him. A flock of birds passed him, and Tails saw they were like no birds he had ever seen before. They were different colours- Red, Green, Blue, Orange, Grey…All the colours of the rainbow. All the colours of the chaos emeralds. A flock of birds flew right at Tails, knocking him off his flight path. Suddenly, his world started going down. He had lost his ability to fly! He fell through the sky to the sound of deep, rumbling laughter. He screamed out, but the unrelenting laughter drowned out his voice. Down below, Tails saw Sonic running along below him, trying to catch him. But he was so slow! He wasn’t going to make it in time! He was about to hit the ground. Tails imagined himself flat on the ground, nothing more than a red smear to mark where he had hit the ground. He imagined the sound he would make on the floor. He wondered whether he would thud or squish. Sonic was still speeding along, but there was no way he could get there now. Tails closed his eyes and prepared for the impact. But the impact never came. He felt wind a gust of wind carrying him upwards into the sky. He opened his eyes and saw another flock of the birds, the chaos gulls, flying toward him. As he was enveloped in a storm of birds, a bright, pure light flashed behind him. He looked back and saw a creature that seemed to be made of pure energy carrying him. It stared at him with deep, wise blue eyes.

“Tails! Tails! Wake up!”
Tails' world fuzzed into view as he opened his eyes. Sonic was standing above him, looking concerned.
“What happened?” Sonic asked.
“I was having a nightmare…I think…” Tails replied drowsily.
He was still groggy. His workshop, covered with spare parts, was fuzzy and hard to understand.
“What time is it?” yawned Tails.
“11 o’ clock. Why?” his high speed friend asked.
“Darn! I said I’d meet Cream at the park at noon! I need to get going!” Tails cried.
Sonic smiled. Naturally, he had noticed that Tails was more than a little lonely on his own in his workshop, so he had arranged that Tails and Cream would meet up and go to a funfair a couple of months ago. Both had enjoyed it and decided to meet up regularly. Sonic watched his friend trying franticly to groom his coat so it wasn’t messy. Tails had started suffering from bed fur recently, and although Tails didn’t admit it, he was proud of his sleek, glossy fur.
Tails was finally ready to go when Sonic stopped him.
“Look, Tails, if you ever have anything you want to get off your chest, I’m here for you.” Sonic said in a kindly voice. He needn’t have bothered though. When he looked up, he saw a pair of tails disappearing out of the workshop door.

A long way away, a creature left its companions and looked at the sky. Soon, it thought, you will be in grave danger once again. But will I get there in time to save you this time?

Yay! My first chapter of my first fic that doesn’t include me is done! I can’t wait to find out all those mysteries! I’ll try and update soon!