Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Just Beneath the Surface ❯ Don't You Ever Call Me Something That You Can't Call Me Alone ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just Beneath the Surface

Part IV

~AiC

Disclaimer: I do not own Sonic and Knuckles!!! Or tails! Or any of these characters!!

A/N: Okay, I got some nice ideas for this story... I think it'll be finished in a few chapters... or not. Dunno yet.

~*~

I frowned slightly, half-closed eyes falling onto the sleeping form of the azure hedgehog. He'd fallen asleep eventually, probably because he was exhausted from constantly talking, and was now curled up in his ragged blanket. I could almost visibly see him shaking and rolled my eyes before standing, dragging my heavy blanket over to drape it around him. He seemed to be shaking less, but was still cold.

"Ugh. Pathetic..." I knelt next to him and put one arm over his shoulder, focusing my energy to warm him. He murmured something unintelligible and I stood again, moving back to my tree. I leaned against the trunk and gazed up at the four or five stars that pierced through the canopy of leaves. The fire had died down to a few glowing embers, and the forest was dark. Closing my eyes, I was on the verge of sleep when a sudden sound caused me to stand silently, completely awake. It was the sound of a twig snapping and I tilted my head back, sniffing the air deeply. I groaned inwardly; it was tails again. He wasn't moving, frozen in place in fear of someone hearing and started to search. His nose wasn't nearly as keen as mine, or as trained. A skilled ranger, it wasn't hard to move behind him without making a sound. A fleeting image of Sonic curled up asleep came to mind and I held back a chuckle; he hadn't even heard the small fox.

Tails shifted uneasily in my line of vision, deciding whether to go foreword or not. His namesake twitched slightly, the two split halves whirring in a rhythmic motion. One shoed foot was on a small, snapped twig, revealing that he hadn't moved a millimeter since he had made the sound. I decided to follow him, my presence unknown, and see just what he was up to. Sure, he'd notice my absence, but he'd most likely think I'd given up or that I wasn't there... Knowing how he idolized Sonic, it was most likely the first.

The fox bit his lip, seemingly hardening his resolve, then started foreword again, doubly careful of where his feet went. While relatively silent, to my keen hearing it was comparable to an elephant stomping through eggshells. He paused next to the blue hedgehog, still curled up in my blanket. Kneeling down (Here I felt a flash of something that may or may not have been jealousy), Tails rested his hand on Sonic's shoulder, leaning down to kiss his cheek. This really got me, though I had no idea why. I stalked over to a lake that was about twenty yards away, still completely silent, and scowled down at my reflection. Angry, fiery eyes flashed back at me and I sobered slightly. Why the hell did I care that the rodent had a thing for that blue furred weakling? He's so young... why the hell would Sonic feel that way towards him?! Taking a deep breath, I reasoned, Well, maybe it's only Tails. Sonic loves Sal, right...? I blinked, wondering why that didn't really make me fell all that much better...

Just as the red-orange fox stood, I melted out of the shadows from behind, causing a startled yelp to burst forth from his throat as he whirled around and nearly ran right into me.

"K-Knuckles... what are you..." His eyes were wide with fear and surprise, and I glared down at him, a cruel glint in my eyes. Let him be scared; it would teach him to stay away from me. I'm no babysitter.

"What are you doing here?" I said, making sure to add a subtle, threatening edge to my soft voice.

"I... I..." he sputtered.

"Didn't Sonic tell you to stay back in Knothole?" I narrowed my eyes menacingly for effect, though I can't really say that I didn't feel some of it.

"Sally said that I should go ch-check on you guys... s-she was worried and..."

"Go to her and tell her we're fine... and not to disturb us until we get back." I turned away to go sit back against the tree.

He turned to go. "Oh. You're sparring...?"

My eyes narrowed. How dare he assume anything about me... I forced myself to calm down. What was wrong with me? I don't usually get this angry.

"No. We just have adult things to discuss." The intended insult hit home, and he turned away. After a fleeting tinge of guilt -which was quickly suppressed by the previous annoyance- I further ignored the fox. I heard as he leapt off the ground and spun his tails at high speeds to lift up and away.

Sitting back down, nestled once more in the arms of the tree roots, I flicked a spark of energy into the small flames of the fire, causing it to grow at an alarming rate. I sighed and it evened out fairly, though I was frowning slightly. Why had Tails done that? I mean, sure, he worshipped the guy... maybe he was still young enough the meant the same as kissing a father or brother... right...?

I don't know how long I stared into the fire, but I was pulled from my thoughts at the rustle of material and a sleepy yawn.

"You still awake, Red?"

I stood. "I'm going." I don't why I said that; it just came to my lips and I didn't to anything to stop it. I really needed to get away... perhaps return to my Island. I'd already been gone for a week, and I supposed that I should be checking on it... even though it was fairly safe as it was.

He frowned, an out-of-place expression which made him look oddly vulnerable... when paired with the disappointment in his emerald eyes. I shook my head mentally to clear it, though I must have looked different because he said,

"Why, buddy?" he stood; if he noticed that he'd been underneath my blanket, he didn't comment.

I flinched. "Don't call me that; you call Tails that." I tried to check myself, but this completely out-of-character remark was out of my mouth before I could stop it. Well, he could take however he wanted... I was gone.

I took off, lifting my head so that the wind could entangle itself in my spines, lifting me away from this.

And just as I imagined soaring through the dark night skies, I was suddenly halted in mid-air...

And dropped to the ground. Sonic frowned down at me from where he stood, one hand gripping my ankle tightly. Damn, he was still fast as hell.

I stood, assuming he'd let go; he didn't and I stumbled. "Let go of me, hedgehog." I glared at him and he sighed, sitting next to me.

"What's up?" He said flatly, the usually light-hearted words suddenly demanding. His eyes were suddenly hard, the glowing emeralds meeting mine.

I sighed. I wasn't like this! What had happened to the calm, unfeeling Guardian I'd been... just a few hours before? Damn... I'm slipping or something...

"Nothing." I stated. I jerked my foot free with more force than I'd needed -though that may not have been the case, since his grip was tight- and I stood. He gave me a 'What, do you think I'm an idiot? I know something's wrong, and I can probably guess what it is' look. I simply returned a, 'Yes, I think you're an idiot' expression. He sighed and stood, his hands resting firmly on my shoulders.

"Look," he started, "I don't see wh..."

He was cut off at a piercing cry and we both turned sharply to face the direction that it'd come from; it came again. It was Tails.

"He's in trouble." Sonic stated quietly. He had a hold of my wrist and was running at top speed before I could comment.

~*~

A/N: Erm... this took a bit for me to get out.. sorry...

~AiC