Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Lost In Dreams ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Declaimer: I don't own Sonic, Amy, Tails, Cream, Knuckles, Rouge or Shadow. Sonic Team does (those lucky bastards…).

Author Notes: Wow, another one? Yep. Anyway, this is my first time doing a Mystery/Suspense one, since I can't do horror (I mean, it's not that I can't, it's that I WON'T. Can't have my favorite characters dying, and well, I like ALL of them…hehe. ^_^). I hope everyone like this story! Enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~

Lost In Dreams

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 1

It was a cold and stormy night. Lightning flashed repeatedly as the thunder clashed in the heavens. Rain poured down, drenching the earth. A lone vehicle drove by on a dark and damp road as dead trees around them blew in the wind. The figures in the car had no clue what they were going to get into…

"Are we there yet?" A small two-tailed fox asked impatiently in the back seat next to Cream, Cheese and Amy.

Shadow, in the driver's seat, rolled his eyes, "Not yet. Now could you please stay quiet?"

Sonic crossed his arms and slouched down in the passenger seat next to Shadow, "You should've let me drive. For a fast hedgehog, but not faster then me, of course, you sure drive awfully slowly." They were driving at 30 mph on a, well, 30 mph road.

Shadow once again rolled his eyes, "If you haven't notice, Sonic, it's raining cats and dogs out there. If I were to go any faster, we would slide off the road and into our death. And besides, the speed limit is set on 30 miles per hour."

Tails looked up, "Did you call my name?"

Sonic chuckled, "No Tails, he said miles per hour, not Miles Prower."

"Oh." Tails said, sitting back in his seat, bored once again, "I wish I brought my gameboy advance…"

Cream smiled, "Here, you could play with mine, if you like, Tails." She handed Tails her gameboy advance which had Sonic Battle already in it.

Tails grinned, "Thanks, Cream!" He took the gameboy and started playing it.

Amy slightly turned around in her seat to stare at the two who sat in the back of the van (It's a mini van! ^_^). "You two have been awfully quiet. Are you okay?"

Rouge rolled her eyes as she looked out her side window, in depression as it rained, "I don't know why you all made me come on this stupid vacation."

"Because it'll be fun, Rouge! And plus, you needed to get away from your work anyway!" Amy said cheerfully.

Rouge only sighed and said nothing. Amy then turned her attention to the red echidna who sat next to the bat. Amy smiled, "And what's your problem, Knuckles?"

Knuckles growled, "Nothing."

The pink hedgehog laughed, "Don't tell me you're still sore about the seating arrangement!"

Knuckles blushed, "No! But why did I have to sit by her?" He pointed his thumb at Rouge who only rolled her eyes again.

"I'm not too please about it either, echidna." She stated flatly.

Amy grinned, "Because! You two like each other!"

Both Knuckles and Rouge eyes widen as they stared at each other then at the pink hedgehog.

Amy grinned before turning back around in her seat. Cream giggled at what just went on. "Chao!" Cheese exclaimed, looking out the window. Cream also looked out the window from her position between Amy and Tails. "Wow, look at that Amy!"

Amy glanced out the window to see a very freaky looking house. "It looks like it's been abandon for sometime!" Just as she said that, a loud bang was heard and the van swivel around a bit before Shadow could steady the van again. He quickly slammed his foot on the break, causing the van to halt to a stop.

"What was that?" Sonic asked, hoping out of the van, Shadow doing the same.

"You kids stay in the van." Shadow said, referring to Amy, Cream, and Tails. Tails was too busy playing Sonic Battle to know what happened. The rain was still pouring down hard as the storm continued.

Rouge and Knuckles also got out of the van to investigate. "What happened?" Rouge asked, looking at Shadow as he checked one of the tires.

Shadow cursed under his breath, "Looks like we got a flat."

Sonic whistle from where we was, "Not just one, but three!"

Knuckles raised an eyebrow, "What are the odds of having three flats?"

The black and red hedgehog cursed again, "And I only have one spear tire!"

Amy, still in the van, opened the window and poked her head out, "What happened out there, you guys?"

Sonic was the first to reply, "Uh, nothing! Everything is under control!"

Shadow rolled his eyes, "You might as well tell her, Sonic."

Sonic sighed, "Fine, we have, uh, say…three flats…"

Amy nearly fell out the window at that, "What?! Three flats?! But the beach house is miles and miles from here! What are we gonna do?"

Knuckles thought for a moment before spotting the creepy looking house, "We could see if anyone lives there and ask if they could spear us a couple of rooms?"

"The house looks like it's been abandon for fifty olds!" Rouge said, looking at the house as rain fell down on their faces.

Knuckles shrugged, "Well, what do you suggest? We sleep out in the van until morning?"

Sonic also glanced around the house, "I don't think it'll hurt to check it out…"

Cream gasped from the window, "Sonic! Look! There's someone in the window?" She pointed to one of the higher windows which were on the third floor of the house.

All heads turned to the direction Cream was pointing to see…nothing.

"Where Cream? I don't see anything." Amy said as she tried to look harder.

Cream frowned, "It was there a minute ago."

Tails finally put the game down and also looked out the window to the house, "We aren't staying there…are we?"

Knuckles opened up the truck to grab some of the bags, "Doesn't look like we have much of a choice, now come on."

Amy hoped out of the van and rushed to Sonic, "That house looks haunted! What if…what if there're ghosts in there?"

Sonic chuckled, "Don't worry, Amy. You don't believe in ghosts, do you?"

Amy nervously shook her head. "No…but…it's scary!"

Cream and Tails also hoped out the van and unloaded their things. Shadow slowly led the way to the abandon house. No, it wasn't a house; it was a mansion of some kind. The house was made up of wooden boards, and most of the boards were sticking out in odd places. Most of the windows were boarded up, the door was hanging off its hinges, small holes littered the place, and dead trees surrounded it.

As they moved, the boards under their feet creak with each step taken. Once they were at the door, Shadow knocked three times on it. No answer.

Amy laughed nervously, "Guess no one's home…maybe we should go now…?"

Shadow shook his head in negative and small droplets of water flew at them.

Knuckles growled, "Just open the door."

"Fine." Shadow opened the door, which gave a long creak that made Amy cringe. They walked into a large room covered in dust and cobwebs. Some boards were loose in the floor and wart up. All the furniture that was in the room was covered in white sheets. It was pitch black inside and the only light came from the lightning that occasionally flashed outside.

Rouge wrinkled up her nose, "This place reek."

Knuckles nodded as he rubbed his over sensitive nose.

A sudden noise was heard which caused Amy to scream and cling to Sonic. Cream quickly turned around and hides herself behind Tails, who was also slightly scared but tried to be brave for Cream. Shadow only shrugged, not at all fazed by the sudden noise. Rouge looked around nervously until her eyes fell on Knuckles who only shrugged. "What was that?" She asked them.

"Sonic…I'm scared…can we go home now?" Amy asked as the wind blew in from the window standing a dark chill down everyone's spine.

Sonic shook his head, "Nope, I sense an adventure!"

Shadow rolled his eyes, "Whatever, we should see if we can find a power box around here or something."

Cream shuddered from behind Tails holding Cheese close to her, "We aren't going to split up, are we, Mr. Shadow?"

Shadow shrugged, "Doesn't matter to me."

"Wow, Shadow, you sure are brave." Sonic snickered as they made their way through the mansion in search of a power switch of some kind. "So…how are we gonna find something in the dark when we don't even have flashlights?"

Knuckles opened up one of his bags a pulled out three flashlights (Coincident? I think not!) . "Here." He tossed one to Sonic and Shadow, and keeping one for himself. "Maybe we should split up to cover more ground?"

Shadow nodded, "Okay, Sonic, you and Amy cover the second floor. I, Tails, and Cream will cover the third floor; Knuckles and Rouge, you two stay down here and look around. We all will meet back here in an hour, got it?" They nodded and went their separate ways.

Sonic grumbled as he made his way up the stairs with Amy, "Who died and made him boss?"

Amy giggled, "You're so silly, Sonic!"

Sonic rolled his eyes and grinned, "What am I good for?"

Amy shrugged, "I really don't know…"

Sonic stared at her in shock, "What?"

She giggled, "I was joking! You're more gullible then Knuckles sometimes!"

Sonic laughed as well as he shone the flashlight in front of them. They reached the top of the stairs and were met with many, many doors. "Wonder what's in all these rooms?"

"Let's go check `em out!" Amy said, grabbing Sonic and pulling him to the nearest room. She pushed opened the door and stepped in.

"Amy, I thought you were scared." Sonic said as she pulled him in the room. It was dark inside and the windows were boarded up. Sonic felt for a light switch and once he found one, he flicked it up. Dim light flooded the room. "Looks like someone still pays the light bill." He remarked with a chuckle.

Amy nodded with a smile as she looked around the room. A small twin size bed rested in a corner near a window. The room had small pieces of debris from the wall littering the floor and cracks covering the walls and ceiling. The sheets on the bed were ghostly white with small spots of red one it. Amy noticed, "Is that…blood?" She asked, taking a step closer.

Sonic also looked at the small spots, "It looks like it…but why would blood be on the sheets?" He asked in curiosity.

Amy shrugged as a chill swept the room, she rubbed her hands over her arms, "It's cold in here…" She said as a small cloud of smoke form from her mouth.

Sonic nodded, "Yeah…it is. But the window's close. Where's the air coming from?"

"I don't know, Sonic…This place is strange. It gives me the creeps…" She shuddered.

~*~*~*~*~

"Shadow, where are we going?" Tails asked his black hedgehog friend as they made their way to the third floor.

Cream trembled, holding Cheese closer to her, "This place is scary…"

Tails looked down at the small rabbit, "Don't worry Cream. Me and Shadow won't let anything happen to you, right Shadow?" He turned back to the hedgehog.

Shadow said nothing as he continued on walking up the long flight of stairs until they finally reached the third floor.

Tails sighed, "Shadow, what exactly we are looking for?"

Shadow shrugged, "Just stay quiet." He said firmly.

Tails sighed once again, "Okay…" They walked in silence until Shadow suddenly stopped unexpectedly, causing Tails to also stop before running into him and Cream knocking into Tails.

"Oh…Sorry Tails…" She apologized.

"Chao." Cheese also said.

Tails smiled down at the two then turned back to Shadow, "Shadow? Why did you stop?"

"Shhh…" Shadow said in hush as he pushed open a door slowly. He quietly walked in the room with Tails and Cream close behind.

"What's in this room?" Tails asked once they were inside the dark room.

Shadow snapped his eyes to Tails, "I said be quiet." He growled, hushing Tails up immediately.

`What's up with Shadow?' He asked himself as he felt Cream's hand interlock with his. She was scared, he could tell. He squeezed her hand to reassure her that everything would be alright.

Shadow walked around the room, looking for something. But what? Tails wondered, as he watched the dark hedgehog. There were no lights so it was hard to see him. Just then, the door shut tight behind them, startling Tails and Cream, but Shadow didn't seem to notice nor did he care.

~*~*~*~*~

Downstairs, on the first floor, Rouge and Knuckles were inspecting the living room, or what they thought was the living room. The place was in total disaster, cracks swathed the walls as cobwebs coated the corners and hung down. Furniture was turned over and the boards were wart up. Every time they took a single step, the boards beneath them would creak, making an eerie sound that echoed through the room.

"What are we looking for, exactly?" Rouge asked Knuckles as they walked around, having no clue as to what they were looking for.

Knuckles shrugged, "Beats the hell outta me." He said, shining the flashlight around the room, seeing nothing of interest in there.

Rouge sighed, "This makes no sense."

Knuckles chuckled, "Nothing makes sense to you."

"Shut up." She glared at him.

Knuckles glared back. They stayed that way for a minute before laughing and turning away. Knuckles sighed, "This place is kinda weird."

"Kinda?" She asked, giving him a weird look.

"Yeah, `kinda'." He smirked at her.

She crossed her arms, "If you ask me, this place is just straight out creepy."

"Yeah, but I didn't ask you."

She rolled her eyes, "Be quiet, ech-AH!" Rouge yelled as she fell through the floor, crashing down into a very dark room below.

"Rouge!" Knuckles yelled, running to the hole she had fallen through. "Rouge! Are you alright?" No reply came. "Rouge…?" He asked again in caution.

~*~*~*~*~

Ooooh…cliff-hanger! What's gonna happen next? Not even I know! Stay tune for the next chapter! ^_^ Please, review and tell me what you think about this little bit!

PS: I try and keep the Rouge and Knuckles-ness at a minimum…it's hard I tell ya! Haaard! (…that…didn't sound too right…O.o;;)