Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ PART 2: Criminal mind ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

PART 2: Criminal mind

You see my hands are steady
You've seen my face before
Soon you can take your last look
And they'll close the door
I stand accused before you
I have no tears to cry
And you will never break me
Till the day I die

A criminal mind is all I've
All I've ever known
They tried to reform me
But I'm made of cold stone
My criminal mind is all I've
All I've ever had
Ask one who's known me
If I'm really so bad...
I AM

I've spent my life behind these steel bars
I've paid my debt in time
But being brought to justice
That was my only crime
I don't regret a single action
I'd do the same again
These prison walls secure me
And I'm numb to pain

Before you hand me over
Before you read my sentence
I'd like to say a few words
Here in my own defense...
Some people struggle daily
They struggle with their conscience
Till the end
I have no guilt to haunt me
I feel no wrong intent

A criminal mind is all I've
All I've ever known
Don't try to reform me
Cause I'm made of cold stone
My criminal mind is all I
All I've ever had
Ask one who's known me
If I'm really so bad...
I AM
Oh I AM
Oh I AM
I'm made of cold stone
Made of cold stone
Just like these prison walls
A criminal mind
Oh

Made of cold stone
I'm made of cold stone
Just like your prison walls
I'm made of cold stone
A criminal mind
I am
A criminal mind...

= = = = =

Yes, this was my life. The song darkened my mind again when I found a place to sleep. I was very tired from running in the city. The police are becoming stronger in the will to catch me, and I could feel it. I have lived like this for six years now, alone in an abandoned house, and slept on the floor. I was caught a few times, even placed in prison, but I escaped. I am sixteen years old, and my skills amaze older criminals. I was in no gang. I worked alone and hidden, and I wanted it that way. I shivered slightly under my thin blanket, trying to keep warm on the floor. The cold, and the silence reminded me of someone who was missing. She used to keep me warm. Sonya…

No, I can't think about her. She hates me now, and I don't blame her. But I miss her…

"Stupid brain," I said to myself, burying my face in an old pillow. "Think of more important things. My next hit will be soon, and I must be prepared for it. Theft will be perfect."

I sighed, trying to rest for my needed energy, but no sleep came to me. I heard a saying before how there is no peace for the wicked. Maybe that's true and I know it was so for me. My eyes opened when I knew it was time, and I lifted my face from my tear stained pillow. They were not new, but they were rather old. I no longer had tears to cry because I was made of stone, like prison walls. I felt cold when I stood up, and I drank a small cup of warm water before I left. It helped to warm me up, and I didn't use drugs like most criminals in the area did. Something told me not to, and even though I came across temptations to try it; I refused to give in. I had my own way, and that was robbery. Things like girls and drugs will slow me down, so I stayed away from that. Still, many female criminals in the territory wanted me for a night because of my power and my high rank in the criminal world, but I refused to comply, and I avoided the drugs they offered. I kept my body away from those harmful things, but my mind was darkly corrupted with crime.

= = = = =

The city changed when I entered Manhattan, New York. The other criminals in the area all sensed it, and they feared me. I have proven over and over again that I know exactly what I am and what I am doing. I walked through an alley, thinking of my plan, and a group of criminals were there. None dared to challenge me. They did before, and I was the one to overcome them. Some looked away as I walked through the dark alley, some hid like rats, and others stared with wonder, mostly the females did that. It made me nervous, but I hid that feeling as I looked away as a silent sign of no interest in them. I made it out in one piece, and I crossed my arms, tapping my foot. I reached the city without the police knowing it, and so I can make my move. But wait…Man; I hear one of those losers coming now. It's the cops, the boys in blue, men in black, or whatever they wish to call themselves. Foolish people, trying to fight crime! Don't they realize crime is unstoppable? Even if they ever kill me, there will always be crime here. But while I'm here, I'll make this city so miserable, and gladly cause panic. It was my life, and I lived it.

"Freeze!" A cop shouted behind me, from a patrol car. "You're under arrest!"

Without wasting my time on the cop, I ran to lead him into a trap. Sure enough, he followed me, driving the police car with sirens roaring. That was good. I could hardly wait to give him a kick. I made the sly, sharp turn I knew, but he lost control of the car sooner than I thought. Oh, well, it was fun to watch the car flip over, crash upside down, and I watched with satisfaction. He crashed into another police car. What a jackpot! When he dares to show his justice face, I'll bruise it! That's what I think of their pitiful laws. They're worthless. When I saw the lone cop crawl out from under the damaged car, I froze. I sensed someone new. I looked, and I saw a blue hedgehog, a very speedy guy. I like speeding to go over the speed limit. Maybe he's part of me. But no, he's helping that worthless cop! That disgusted me like something awful. I watched and listened.

"Oh no! What happened here?" The blue stranger asked the cop. "Are you okay?"

The officer sat up against his car. "Did you see him?" He asked quietly.

"See who? What are you talking about?" The blue hedgehog asked.

"He always leaves his mark," the officer replied, pointing toward a wall.

Yeah, so what? It was green paint, written in criminal language, saying I was there.

"This is not good," the blue hedgehog said. "Who and what is this guy?" He asked.

Not good? Yeah, that's me! And you want to know who I am? I'll show you…

"Oh no! He's behind you!" The cop screamed with fear, covering his face.

I enjoyed hearing that, and the blue one turned to face me. He looked surprised.

He stepped toward me, pointing. "You're the one who did this! You criminal!"

Hmm… Fast learner, isn't he? I like that. But it was time for me to split. I didn't want to speak then, and so I quickly ran out of the area before more cops would show up for me.

"HEY!" I heard the blue one yell behind me. "You're not getting away with that!"

He's a speeder, a fast learner and a pain in the tail, and he's also persistent. Interesting character. I led him through a little chase, just for fun, and then I easily vanished. I watched him look around, confused at how I suddenly disappeared. Oh, they always marvel at my cunning tricks. They must think it's magic, or something. I glared as I watched him leave the area, still looking for me.

"Stay out of my way, or you will not have a way to get into." I whispered coldly.

= = = = =

Later…

At last, it was dark. Night was perfect to strike the city, and I knew that fact from experience. The bank that I robbed recently was a total blast. I'll rob it again, but this time, blindfolded. I have done it before, but not for this bank, so I wanted to practice that skill further. I didn't know of any other criminal who could steal while blindfolded. Maybe because I was the only one. That filled me with pride, and I made an evil grin. I found the bank, and avoided the cops while I entered it. They must be really deaf, or I'm very sneaky. I blindfolded myself, and I leaped over the security beams, which would sound an alarm if touched. It was a risky game, but I enjoyed it. When I silently landed on the floor, I heard voices. They came from behind the slightly open door.

"Look, Sonic." A child's voice said, "Someone got in with no keys."

"Let's go in," Sonic whispered. "But be way past careful."

So, Sonic was his name. I remembered his voice. It was the annoying blue hedgehog. I removed the blindfold, and just in time. I saw the door opening. I hid myself behind some boxes. I did not want to be discovered, but if that hedgehog dares to stop me, I'll have to show him my mind. I stopped breathing when I heard Sonic approaching. I knew he would find me. I gathered some strength, and I leaped over him, running for the exit. I glanced at the child; a two tailed fox.

"Tails!" Sonic called, "He's here!" He ran after me with the fox following also.

Great, I've got Heads and Tails after me, how nice. I ran up a skyscraper, doubting that blue hedgehog could do the same, but I was wrong. That fox must be his sidekick, helping him.

"Look, Sonic!" Tails said, pointing at a building. "He ran up there!"

"Let's go!" Sonic ran up after me, on the top of a building.

When he made it to the top, he gasped in shock. I was standing in front of him, and we saw each other up close. I saw the fox named Tails land beside Sonic, and I had enough of them.

"Leave now, and make this easy!" I demanded, speaking to him for the first time.

"Give the money back…now!" Sonic said, pointing at me.

"No way!" I said, crossing my arms, and turned my head away. I closed my eyes, and then I opened one, and said, "Come to think of it…" I turned and looked at Sonic. "I didn't even get a penny out of that place, no thanks to you--"

I was going to call him every foul name I learned, but then the police arrived. When Sonic turned around, I was gone. They ruined my plan, spoiled my training, but I'll be back for them.

"Oh no! He got away again." Sonic said as he stomped his foot.

Tails stood in front of him. "Sonic, come on, let's go after him!" He said, ready to run.

"No, Tails, we can't go all over New York City looking for one hedgehog…" Sonic looked toward the buildings where I vanished. "But we'll be back for him." He said quietly.

Tails shook his head. "But he will also be back for us." And Tails was right.

Smart kid, I'll give him that much. I watched them leave Manhattan, hidden and silent. I returned to my hiding place, and I watched the stars that night, making plans for my next attack. I could only wonder if Sonic was watching the stars also. He was a quick hedgehog, and I admired his will to follow a violent criminal like me, to try and stop me. Useless but nice try, hedgehog. I had a feeling that it would not be my last encounter with that blue one. If we meet again, it'll be between us, and I'll get to the bottom of this problem. I wanted to find out what he was. I was curious about him, but I didn't understand why. Something told me that he was seeking to reform me. HA! I laughed. But still, it would be interesting to see him try. I waited for his arrival.

= = = = =

Inside my hiding place, I finally relaxed after that rough day in the city. I was surprised to find out it was so late at night. Time was going fast lately. I shrugged, yawned, and then I rested on the floor, which was my bed. I pulled my thin blanket over to cover myself, and I rested my head on the pillow. I noticed the tear stains again, and I snorted angrily. I was a coward when I was younger, crying like that. I promised to never cry again. When I felt tired, I let my blue eyes close. When I fell asleep, I had a dream. It was strange because I didn't have one in a while.

This dream, which turned out to be a nightmare, was in a prison. I was in a jail cell, surrounded with cold walls, and locked in with steel bars. I hated them. I looked down, and I saw my wrists in handcuffs, my ankles were also in chains, and I spit on the ground. I heard footsteps, and I closed my eyes. When I opened them, I was in another place. It was the only place I feared with the greatest of dread. It was the execution chair. I don't know how I got there, but I could not move. I was laid on my back, on this white chair with my arms, waist, legs, and chest held down with strong straps. I trembled when I heard sounds in the room, and I could not close my eyes. I was afraid, but I would never give up my ways. All I know is a criminal mind. I looked away when the needle entered my arm to inject me with death, but then, someone pulled the needle out.

"No, don't kill him!" Sonic said, and I was very surprised to see him in the room.

That annoying blue guy stood with me behind him, and I was speechless. Sonic turned to me, and he set me free from the chair. I didn't leave on my own, but he pulled me up, away from death.

I woke up, sweating on my face. It took me a few moments to realize it was only another one of my crazy nightmares. But it was so real. Why did he do that? Why would anyone save a criminal that needs to die? It was my sentence to be put to death, but he stopped it. I didn't understand.

"Why?!" I cried out, shaking my head hard.

I suddenly felt tears developing in my eyes, and I slapped myself to stop. Criminals don't cry! They are numb to pain, and they have no guilt! I will not surrender, but I'll give that hedgehog a piece of my mind, the worst of it. After recovering from shock, I rested again. The dream haunted me like a phantom, and I could not erase it. I didn't know what was ahead of me, but it was light.