Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ PART 3: Great light ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

PART 3: Great light

When it was my time to go again, I left without my backpack, and I left no clues in my hiding place. I stepped outside, and it was strangely cold for the late spring. I looked up, and there were storm clouds in the night sky. Everything was working against me lately, and it made my mind and heart feel burdened. I saw some dark blue clouds nearby, and they reminded me of that stranger hedgehog. What was his name? Sonic, I'm sure. I'll still have to teach him for standing in my way like that. No one dares to challenge the Master Criminal of New York. I was proud of my rank, and it took me years to get this far. No cop and surely no blue hedgehog will stop me.

I entered the city, in Manhattan, and I stood alone on a skyscraper. I was trying to think of a real sly crime to commit, and then I sensed someone behind me. Without looking to see, I thrust my elbow in the stranger's side, and the voice that cried out was female. I flipped her over, on the floor in a submissive pose because in this city, all criminals must fear me as master. I looked down at the green female hedgehog with black banged hair, brown eyes, short black leather dress, boots and gloves, and I angrily glared. I remembered her. She was known as Ivy. Foolish girl…

"Ivy, how dare you sneak up on me like that?!" I spat, asking her the question.

"You know why," she said playfully. "Son of Crime, you can't refuse me forever."

"Drop arrested," I cursed. Then I stepped away as she stood up.

"Fine," Ivy said, crossing her arms, looking away. "But I know a new place to rob."

"New?" I asked, becoming curious. "If it's something I haven't robbed, it's new."

"It is," Ivy told me. "It opened just yesterday. It's a new jewelry store with lots of bucks."

"Sounds interesting," I said, tapping my foot. "I'll have to give it a shot."

"Oh no," said Ivy. "Someone tried to break in last night, but he was arrested."

"High security, eh? I like that in a challenge. It will be too easy for me." I said.

Ivy chuckled. "Prince, you've got some high looks," she said, looking at me.

"Shut up," I said angrily. "And if you ever do that again, I'll make you wish you were a cop."

Ivy continued to smile, and she stepped toward me. "What's a challenge without risk?"

"What risk other than being arrested?" I asked her quietly.

"Well, I'll make a deal with you. If you successfully steal, I'll never bother you again."

"My dream come true," I said. "But what if something goes wrong?"

"Then you'll have to show me what a Master criminal can do to a girl." She replied.

That was a very high risk, but I never refused a challenge before. I could not do it then.

"All right, it's a deal," I said in agreement. "I'll be back with success, of course."

"Sure," Ivy said. "I wish for the best, Son of Crime, and watch your back."

"I'll do that." I said, and then I gladly left her, using my top speed. Even if I have to make a run for it to escape the police and come back empty-handed, I'll never give in to her cold desires.

= = = = =

I felt free when I was alone again in the street. That Ivy can be sly, but still, I don't want to refuse a challenge like this. I am the top criminal in this city, and I'll prove it again, then even she'll fear me, and finally leave me alone. Stealing from the new jewelry store will also give me the chance to show others that there is no place I cannot steal from. High security? No problem.

When I reached the store, it was quiet. I was surprised to find no police around, but I remained cautious, careful, and watchful. Easily, I entered the building through a window, silently. It seemed too easy for me, but for some strange reason, it made me nervous. It could be a trap. My thoughts were confirmed when I heard footsteps nearby. It was not a cop as I first thought, but it was the blue hedgehog again. I remained standing in the shadows, and he didn't see me, but I could see him. He ruined my plan for the last time. Perhaps he was a spy for the police. Even if he wasn't, he went too far already, and so I took a few steps toward him. But he had good hearing.

"Who's there?" Sonic asked, and then I froze, still hidden in the silent shadows.

I silently went around him, and then I stood behind the hedgehog. My presence made him shiver, and he turned around, facing me. Now that some city lights from the outside were shining, he could see my face clearer than last time. We looked at each other, recognizing one another.

"I have been watching you, Sonic." I said, using his name for the first time. "If you're wise, then stay out of my way, like I told you before. You have no idea what you are facing."

"Who are you, and how do you know my name?" Sonic asked.

I took a few steps away from him, and my footsteps were barely heard.

"You may know that my name is Scotty," I told him my name, which was known to few. "I know your name because like I said, I've been watching you." I answered his question.

Then Sonic took a few steps toward me, and I stood still. "You…you look so young to do things like this," he said, and then he asked, "How long have you been this way, Scott?"

Strange, he called me Scott. Now he wanted to know how long I have been a criminal.

"Not for you to know," I replied simply. "Anyway, I have to go…" I sensed the police.

"Go where?" Sonic asked, "Why? Are the police coming?"

Of course they are, you fool. They always come looking for me. They want me dead.

"I know when they are near," I said with anger in my voice. "And where I go, you can't know." Then I turned away to leave. "Don't follow me, hedgehog." I warned in a whisper.

I quickly ran for the exit, and I heard him following me. I'll lose him easily in the streets, but I also heard the police. It began to rain outside because of the storm clouds above. I dislike cold rain because it reminds me of my hopelessly homeless life. I knew I was being followed, and it was Sonic. I never met anyone that could keep up with my speed, but he did it very well. When I saw an alley, I entered it for a quick escape, but I was shocked to find four police cars there. The lights blinded my sight, and I lifted a hand to shield my face, standing there in surprise.

"Freeze!" The police commanded, pointing guns at me. "Don't move! You're under arrest!"

How many times have I heard those words and got away? I never counted, but it was a lot. I was sure to get away again, and so I turned to leave the alley, but then that is when it happened. When I slightly turned, I heard a gunshot, and I was hit in the left arm, near the shoulder. I yelled in pain, and it was so extreme; I fell on my knees to the street. I was never shot before, but I never dreamed it would be so painful. I almost fell flat on my face, but I used my right hand to support me. I opened my eyes to see my red blood of scarlet spill on the street. I became dizzy, feeling weak and strange, but I fought it as I climbed back to my feet, placing my right hand over my wound. I heard the sirens wail behind me, and I ran as fast as I could run, and they followed.

"Oh no!" Sonic yelled when he saw me run out of the alley with the police following.

Things could not get any worse. The blue one and the police were after me, I was shot, bleeding badly, and I knew I could not run like this for long. I knew of one place to go to, and it was Central Park. It was not far away from here, but first, I've got to get over that high wall. That won't be easy with this bleeding arm, but I ran for it, closing my eyes. I ran up the wall, and the police were unable to follow any further when I made it to the other side. I heard a few more gunshots, but they missed me. I somehow made it to Central Park, and I knew it was safe there. I used most of the strength I had left to jump up in a tree, and I breathed heavily, catching my breath, and the pain in my arm was terrible, like a predator hanging from it with sharp teeth, dragging me. I sat down, resting against the tree, and that is when I saw Sonic down below. That does it! One arm or no arms, I'll finish him for doing this to me! I jumped down from the tree, and Sonic turned around to see a wounded criminal animal, which was myself. Oh…maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I think my arm is going to fall off. I can hardly take this pain!

"Oh, Scott…" Sonic whispered when he saw my arm.

He called me Scott again. Why did I like the sound of that? I watched him open a backpack.

"Here, Scott, let me help you." He offered a clean white cloth as a bandage.

Help? Never! A criminal never accepts help, especially not from someone like him! I backed away from him, and then I slowly sat under the tree. I could not run any further. The pain was too much, and I had trouble seeing clearly. Maybe I'm dying. I was hit very badly, and I felt it. After fighting it, I lost my strength, and I cried, I really, truly cried with tears after so long. My pride was being broken down, and I felt my stony heart shatter. I was in a lot of pain, and I was afraid. Then I wanted to die there. I closed my eyes tightly as warm tears came pouring down my cheeks. For the love of Liberty, let me die. I had my time in crime, but now it's over for me. I'm gone.

"Scott, here, this will help." Sonic said as he knelt down. "This will help you. Be still."

I opened my eyes, and through the tears, I could see him wrap the bandage around my wounded left arm. It hurt very much when he first touched it, but it slowly felt better. I let him continue because I was too weak to move. Then I remembered that dream I recently had.

"Sonic, why are you helping me?" I wanted to know why more than anything.

"It's what I do, Scott. I want to help." He answered gently.

This is what he does for a living? Man, I thought my job was strange. I'm not alone after all. Hey, watch it! Ouch! I grabbed a fist full of green grass, tightly closing my eyes as he tightened the bandage. I believe now that the cure is often worse than the disease. Oh, that hurt!

"There, that should do it," Sonic said as he stood up. "But we still have to clean that up a bit."

Clean up? Why? I looked at my arm… Oh, gross! It's all red. Suddenly, the image of a red bandanna came to my mind. It belonged to Sonya. Oh, Sony, what would you think of me now, here bleeding to death against a tree in Central Park? I would welcome another slap on my face, so I could feel your hand. Then I wondered if she was still alive. I sadly closed my eyes, quietly thinking. I felt more tears on my face, and the rain stopped with no more thunder. I gasped when a sharp pain ran down my left arm, and I held it with my right hand, which was red.

"Scott, that wound has to be cared for, or it will get worse." Sonic told me.

Duh, of course it'll get worse, and I think it's getting worse now. I feel cold from blood loss, and I began to shiver. This was so humiliating for me! Then I felt him hold my trembling hand. The pain became worse, and I could hardly see with this stupid dizziness. I wanted it all to end.

"Oh, Scott, let me be your friend." Sonic said gently, holding my hand.

What the-a friend? What in New York is he talking about? The offer truly surprised me.

"Friend?" I asked, and my voice was shaky. I hate it when I sound so weak.

"Yeah, a friend, Scott." Sonic said in a calm voice.

My eyes felt heavy, and I let them close a little. "I…I never had a friend before." I whispered.

"You do now." Sonic said, slightly smiling. "Will you trust me?" He asked.

I looked down at the ground, unsure. "I think I trust you, Sonic. You have helped me so far."

Sweet Hudson River, I can hardly believe I said that! What was happening to me? Why?

"I can do more than that, Scott." Sonic told me, and I believed him. He seemed honest.

I looked at my arm again, and it was red, and so was the white cloth. I closed my eyes, wearily. Yes, I knew that if Sonic would take me to the police, they would kill me on sight, no doubt. I felt Sonic hold my hand tighter as a strong wave of fear took me. He was holding me there, safe.

"Scott, I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise." Sonic whispered.

Then I slowly opened my blue eyes, and looked up at Sonic like a helpless child. I was ten years old again, a homeless little one that didn't know how to live. I took a deep breath.

"Okay, Sonic…I trust you." I said, and then I asked him, "Will you help me?"

Sonic smiled. "I sure will, Scott." He said, and he took me by the right arm.

Then again, I was reminded of that dream. Sonic pulled me up, away from death. I didn't know why, but he was helping me walk. I could not stand without his support, and so I held him. He led me out of the city to his home where he lived with his friends. It was late at night, so everyone there was in bed at the time we arrived. He cleaned my wounded arm, and carefully wrapped a clean bandage on. It didn't hurt as much now, but I was very dizzy with weakness. I stumbled like someone who was drunk, but Sonic helped me to his own bed to sleep in. I refused it at first, but he insisted that I take it for the night. It was so strange for me to be in a bed again. It had been years since I laid in one. It was soft, comfortable, and a lot better than the floor. Sonic took the sofa, and he told me that I could change. I didn't know what that meant, but I thought about it. I soon fell asleep in bed, ignoring the pain in my arm. Oh, I had a lot to think about, didn't I?