Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Only Time Will Tell ❯ What Friends Are For ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello people! This is idea that came to me after watching the French episodes of the third season of Sonic X. I must warn you though, I'm not very good at understanding French, so if any of the details in this story are incorrect then I'm really sorry and please let me know so I can change them. Also, since the story is written 1 year after the last episode of Sonic X, all the characters are a year older than in the games. Anyway, I hope you like it!
This chapter is written from Cream's point of view.Thoughts are in italics.
Disclaimer: I'm afraid I can't take credit for Cream, Tails, Cosmo or anything mentioned in this story. They were all created by the geniuses at SEGA.
 
Chapter 1: What Friends Are For
 
It's been a year since it happened, since Cosmo went away. It shouldn't have happened, she was so sweet and gentle, and she was so nice to me. She was my friend, and I still think of her often. But not as often as Tails...
 
He misses her more than he lets us know, but he can't hide it from me because I know how he's feeling. I've been through it before. Though to be fair, It wasn't quite the same situation. Cosmo sacrificed herself to save us all, were as my friend went out of control and put us all in danger. But either way, we both had to destroy the ones we loved. And when I think back, I know that I did love Emerl. Probably not in the same way that Tails loved Cosmo, but I loved him all the same, just like I love all my friends. Just like I love Tails.
 
That's why I hate to see him the way he is now. He's become so withdrawn, and he's hardly ever cheerful anymore. After her death, when he was forced to shoot her, he buried himself in his work, his machines. He must have rewired the X-Tornado at least 20 times, always making various improvements and different modifications. Not that he goes out flying very often to test them. To be honest, I don't think I've seen him leave his workshop in weeks. And he's never looked at another girl. I guess that's why it's so hard for him. He loved her not as a friend, but as a girl, and I know he would have done anything to protect her, to save her if he could. I've never had that; I've never been in love with a boy properly. Maybe I'm just too young... but I do feel a lot older these days. Perhaps that's just because I've seen and done so much. But that's what comes from hanging out with Sonic, things just kinda happen around him.
 
It was late evening when I went round to Tails's workshop. I was worried about him, we all were. I know why he's so distant now though, despite that he seemed to be improving a few weeks ago. Today was the day Cosmo left us forever, exactly one year ago, and Tails said that he wished to be left alone. I wanted to respect his wishes, I really, really did. I should have done what he wanted and left him alone with his grief, that's what a true friend would do, right? I very nearly did as well, when I reached the closed door of his secluded home, handed raised in preparation to knock, I thought whether he would be happy to see me, and I realised that if I was in his shoes, I would probably want to be left alone too. And so I thought better of it, and turned to leave. I actually felt pretty lost and lonely myself. It was cold and dark, the wind whistled though my ears and tugged at my dress, and this was the first time in ages I didn't have Cheese with me. He was back at home with my mother, since I though that Tails wouldn't appreciate his cheerful nature. I miss my little Chao; I wish he was here with me now. I miss her too.
 
Oh Cosmo, I wish you were still here...
 
Hugging myself sadly, I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes and the usual battle commenced, as I attempted to keep them back. It was always the same, I just couldn't help it. The tears just wouldn't stop coming. But I promised myself that I'd try not to be such baby anymore, for Tails's sake.
 
Come on Cream, get a grip!
 
That's when I heard it, a strange, faint sobbing sound. Kind of like when I was desperately trying not to cry, and failing miserably. At first I thought it was me, and that the tears had come out victorious once more, but then I realised that the sound was coming from beyond the closed doors behind me.
 
Tails...?
 
Please don't ask what made me do it. I'm not even sure myself, all I know is that I found myself pushing open the doors to his workshop and slipping quietly inside. I was surprised at my sudden stealth, and visions of an older me sneaking through twilight corridors, sleek and mysterious like a certain bat I know, flashed across my mind. But I was kidding myself, the well oiled doors and my light feet were the only reasons for my entrance not being detected. I found the workshop dark and empty. The machines cast eerie shadows along the pristine floor, their distorted forms reminding me a lot of Eggman's robots, and presently I shivered, feeling nervous. The faint glow of light, highlighting the edges of a closed door from across the room caught my attention, and I tiptoed silently towards the dim source, placing my cold, gloved hands on the handle. The sobs were clearer now, though still not very loud, and the doubt came again as I was on the verge of pushing the door open.
 
Should I?
 
Shaking myself, I attempted to clear my head, which was surprisingly clouded for a 7 year old. Tails needed someone, he may not want anyone but that was beside the point. And he wasn't the only one who was upset about Cosmo, I miss her too, and friends should be there for each other in times of need. I made my decision. I opened the door.
 
He was sitting in the corner of the room, his back to me, bathed in the soft glow of his desk lamp which turned his orange fur golden. Sensing my intrusion, he turned to me, surprise mixed with sadness in his aqua eyes. I noticed his cheeks were wet, and he held a flower in his hand.
 
“Cream? What are you doing here?” His voice was thick from crying, that much was obvious as he furiously attempted to wipe his eyes without being noticed.
 
“I'm sorry for disturbing you Tails, but I was worried about you-"
 
He turned his back on me before I could finish, “I said I didn't want to see anyone.”
 
“But Tails…”
 
“Please just leave me alone!”
 
It wasn't a request, I knew it wasn't, he didn't want me there. He probably hates me now. Why did I have to come here tonight? Why do I always end up doing the wrong thing? And then, to my shame, the tears came again, and this time I was unable to hold them back. I felt them slide uncontrollably down my cheeks, warm and wet, making my surroundings sparkle and blur. Tails's gaze was upon me now, I could feel it, and so I did the only thing I could think of in my current situation, I buried my head in my hands and sank to the floor. I wanted to leave, but that was impossible since I couldn't distinguish the door from anything else in the room due to my distorted vision.
 
Why am I so stupid?
 
"Please don't cry."
 
And he was beside me, kneeling on the tiled floor with one hand on my shoulder. His touch surprised me, and I looked up to see his face straight in front of mine, his eyes bright with concern. We were so close, only a few centimetres apart.
 
"I should never have come," I sniffed. My voice came even higher than usual, and I couldn't tear my eyes away from his, no matter how much I wanted to.
 
“No… don't say that.” His voice was softer now; like me, he wouldn't raise it over a whisper. “I'm sorry I was so mean to you, I didn't mean to be. It's just so hard…”
 
He trailed off as another tear escaped and rolled down his damp fur, yet he made no move to wipe it away, and his steady gaze never left mine. He sighed sadly and continued, “I miss her so much.”
 
“I know, but I hate seeing you like this Tails, and I-I really miss her too. A-And after everything with Emerl, I thought that you'd understand…”
 
It was then that Tails did the most unexpected thing. Leaning over, he pulled me towards him and hugged me close, as if he was holding something precious. For a moment I couldn't move for shock, then I relaxed a little, warm in his arms.
 
“I'm sorry Cream,” he murmured.
 
I couldn't speak, I just knelt there, my head resting on his chest so his soft fur rubbed my cheek. It felt so comfortable yet so strange… I've never been so close to him before, and we've certainly never hugged. Yet here I was with his arms around me, as close to him, a boy, as I could possibly be. I suddenly felt the colour rise in my cheeks. I have no idea how long we knelt there, hugging. It was probably for just a few minutes, but it felt like hours to me. I couldn't help but feel a slight twinge of disappointment when he eventually pulled away.
 
“You ok?” he asked.
 
His eyes are so blue; I've never noticed that before…
 
Somehow I managed to nod, “Yes, I'm fine now.”
 
Then he smiled. It was small and weak, but a smile none the less, a smile just for me. Our faces were still only inches apart, and I hoped that he'd just think my cheeks were flushed from crying.
 
Oh so very close…
 
Then he got up and walked back to his desk, were he carefully returned the flower to its small vase, and I found that I could move again. Tails still looked sad, but it was different to the sadness from before. He checked the wall clock and a flicker of surprise crossed his face.
 
“Cream, have you seen the time? It's really late.”
 
I hadn't realised. Exactly how long had I been there? Time no longer seemed important. “You're right, I should go.”
 
“No, its dark out, and your house is ages away. I have a spare bed, why don't you stay here the night? You can call your mother and let her know if you want, that way she won't worry.”
 
Hastily, I got up from the floor and stared at him uncertainly. “Are you sure, wouldn't you rather be alone?”
 
“No, I'm glad you came, I needed the company.” He smiled again, “Thank you Cream.”
 
Trying to ignore the weird sensation that occurred inside me when he smiled, I put on a cheery grin, “No problem Tails, that's what friends are for!”
 
"Then it's settled, I'll go and make up the bed for you."
 
He brushed passed me as he left the room, and I felt the funny feeling deep down once more.
 
What's wrong with me?
 
End Chapter
 
 
Well, that's one chapter finished. I hope it was ok.
I'm mostlya Tails/Cream fan. I like Cosmo and all, but I like Cream better! Plus I thought it was horrible that poor Cosmo died at the end of Sonic X. That's why I wanted to write this fic, because I think Tails deserves to find love again after losing it so early in his life. Plus, let's face it;Tails and Cream are absolutely adorable together! So please tell me what you think of the story. I'd really appreciate your opinions and I love all kinds of reviews!
Also, big thanks to YiffyOne for pointing out that my story had no spaces in it before! It's better now right?
So review if you want to make me happy! ^_^