Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Only Time Will Tell ❯ Stormy Weather ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ok, I've finally managed to update! Sorry it took me so long, I had a touch of writers block up until a few days ago. But enough of my excuses! Hopefully this chapter will be worth the wait.
 
Thank you so much to my three wonderful reviewers! Without you guys there would most likely be no second chapter. ^_^
 
Disclaimer: As you probably already know (it should be pretty obvious), I do not own Tails, Cream or anything to do with Sonic's world that is mentioned in this fic.
 
Right, enough of my chattering. Read and enjoy guys!
 
Chapter 2: Stormy Weather
 
Cream's POV
 
The following morning greeted us with the promise of storm. Clouds of steel grey concealed the usual azure of the early October skies, leaving only a few slits for the weak sunlight to reveal itself. I always love the effect the clouds and the sun create on days like this; the thin beams of light always look so pretty as they filter through the dreary expanse above them, shining down on the world below. But still, those clouds weren't going anywhere anytime soon, all I could do was hope that the rain would keep off until I made it home.
 
Peeking apprehensively out of the workshop window, I wondered what exactly I would do if the heavens decided to open on me while I was walking back to my house. The night before had been so clear, and since I didn't expect to stay over, the thought of what the weather would be like the next day never entered my head. I shuddered slightly despite the indoor warmth; I really hate getting my ears wet!
 
A soft tap on my shoulder aroused me from my thoughts, “Hey Cream, are you ok?”
 
Startled, I whirled round and came face to face with Tails, who jumped back a little when he saw my expression, his bright blue eyes once again filled with concern. “I'm sorry, I didn't scare you did I?”
 
Feeling my cheeks grow warm under his gaze, I rapidly shook my head, making my long ears whip around as I did so, in hope that he wouldn't notice. “No, no I'm fine!” came my overly enthusiastic reply, “I-I was just miles away!”
 
“Heh heh, that's good.”
 
I looked up to see him grinning at me; I guess he must have found my reaction funny. Oh well, it worth it to see him smiling again.
 
He looks so cute when he smiles…
 
Wait a minute! When did I start thinking of Tails like that?! Maybe shaking my head so fast wasn't such a good idea… I think I'm dizzy.
 
“Are you sure you're alright? Your cheeks look kinda red,” he was looking at me anxiously again. “Do you feel sick?”
 
My blush deepened, “N-no! I'm just a little warm, that's all!” I said, giggling nervously in an attempt to hide my embarrassment. “I really should be going; otherwise my mother will wonder where I am. I said I'd be back before noon.”
 
He was still staring at me, I could feel it. I've always been a terrible liar. Averting my gaze, I quickly made my way towards the front doors, not daring to meet his eyes. I don't understand it, I really don't! Why on earth am I acting so weird? It's not like me… and if I'm not careful, I'll end up making Tails worry, and he doesn't need that. I came to regret my hastiness though, as I skidded slightly across the smooth tiles, completely loosing my balance. I gasped, my voice raising an octave as I fought to stay on my feet.
 
“Careful Cream!”
 
A pair of warm hands came to my rescue, gently holding my arm to steady me. I expected him to let go once he was sure I wouldn't fall again, but to my surprise he didn't, and instead turned me towards him, forcing me to look him in the eyes.
 
Those eyes…
 
“Cream, if you're not well you shouldn't try to hide it,” he said sternly, wagging his finger at me in that know-it-all manner, “What if you faint or something while you're walking home?”
 
“T-Tails…”
 
He still hadn't released my arm… but at that point I wasn't sure that I wanted him to. Oh great, here comes that funny feeling again. That's all I need!
 
The fox boy's expression softened, “I'm not trying to be funny, I just don't want anything bad to happen to you.”
 
“I know.”
 
Then he let go and backed away slightly, but still refused to look away. I suppressed a sigh of relief; the strange sensation only seemed to come when we were close. Doing what I do best, I gave him a cheery smile, “Thanks for worrying about me but you really don't need to. I'm fine, I promise!”
 
Tails still didn't seem convinced, but I guess that he thinks it's his job to worry about me, since I'm younger than him and everything. He shrugged his shoulders in defeat,
 
“Ok, if you're sure.”
 
I headed outside where my presence was acknowledged by a flurry of fallen leaves. The wind was surprisingly strong, and I began to fear for my dress as it continued to pluck persistently at the edges of the fabric. But at least it was still dry, that was all that mattered. Tails followed me out to see me off; his twin propellers seemed to have lives of their own as they were blown about in random directions.
 
I bowed politely, “Thank you for letting me stay over.”
 
“No problem. Besides, it's me who should be thanking you…”
 
I watched as some of last night's sadness returned to his eyes, and I found myself wanting to go closer and comfort him, despite of what I knew would happen. Fighting the temptation, I settled for cocking my head to one side in what I hoped was a sympathetic manner. “Hey, are you going to be ok?”
 
He sniffed and gave me a weak grin, “Yeah, I'm going to try to get back to normal now. I know that Cosmo wouldn't want me to mope around like this.”
 
“She'd just want you to be happy,” I smiled sincerely.
 
“Yeah…” he murmured, almost too softly for even my sensitive ears to pick up, “But I don't think that anyone could make me happy like she could.”
 
I just stood there, staring at him sadly, not knowing what to say. What could you say in response to something like that? So I waved goodbye and proceeded to walk home with my arms firmly clamped down the sides of my red-orange school dress, still worrying about my friend.
 
Poor Tails…
 
Being alone with your thoughts tends to make your mind come up with ways to occupy itself, and so after walking for a while I found myself pondering my sudden strange behaviour while I was in Tails's company. I must admit that this was quite new to me, as usually my carefree lifestyle didn't require me dwell on things too much. But no matter how hard I thought about it, the answer continued to evade me. I sighed in exasperation; maybe Tails was right, maybe I was coming down with something.
 
I could have a fever… that would explain why my cheeks have been feeling so hot.
 
No, I knew that couldn't be it, because for some strange curious reason this fever only came when I was close to Tails, or when I thought he looked cute. Like I'm doing now. Argh, it's happening again! That does it, I'm definitely sick. Maybe I should tell mother when I get home…
 
Feeling suitably mystified by the whole thing, I hardly noticed when my feet automatically carried me down the neat garden path and came to a halt on the front step of my house. Blinking several times to clear my head, I eventually recognised the polished wooden door in front of me and raised my hand in preparation to knock - just as I felt a large rain drop land on my left ear. I shivered, feeling the cold water trickle unpleasantly down my fur.
 
Oooooooooooh! I really, really hate getting my ears wet!!
 
Almost as if I'd said my thoughts out loud, the door suddenly swung open allowing me to shelter from the elements, and I was welcomed by the hyperactive squeaks of my dear Chao. In fact, I'd only taken two steps over the threshold before Cheese came barrelling into me like a tiny aqua-yellow cannonball, very nearly knocking me to the floor in his excitement about my return.
 
“Cheese!” I laughed as he hugged my arm, refusing to let go, “Did you really miss me?”
 
“Chao-chao!” came his chirpy reply.
 
Holding him in both hands, I giggled, the funny-Tails-feeling forgotten, “Aw, I really missed you too!”
 
“Cream? Is that you?”
 
“Yes mother, I'm home!”
 
I dashed into the kitchen (which was spotless as usual) were her voice was coming from, still clutching Cheese to my chest. It felt so good to be with him again! Mother was standing by the gleaming counter, stirring the contents of a mixing bowl when I entered, but she put it down as soon as she saw me, knowing that I'd rush up and hug her, as was my custom.
 
“Hi sweetie,” she smiled, “did you have a good time with Tails?”
 
I calmed down a little at her words, desperately trying not to think about the funny-Tails-feeling, “Oh yeah, it was great.”
 
I never did tell mother why I went round to see him the night before. I'm not sure why, it's really not like me to keep things from her, but for some reason I just couldn't explain my sudden need to go and see him so late. I think that she understood though, because she didn't ask any questions. My mother really is wonderful.
 
“Aw, I'm glad you had fun,” she said, returning to her mixture, “It was good of Tails to let you sleep over; he's such a nice boy.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“It's such a shame about what happened to that poor Cosmo; it really hit him hard didn't it?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
Noticing how quiet I'd become, she knelt down so that our eyes were level and cupped my face in her hands, smiling in that kind, motherly way, “Don't worry sweetheart, I'm sure seeing you helped him more than you realise. He'll be himself again soon.”
 
Feeling a little shocked at my mother's mind reading ability, I could only stare at her, my hazel eyes wide, “How did you know?”
 
“Because I'm your mother,” she winked, stroking my head, “Now cheer up; we've got cake for after dinner!”
 
My face lit up instantly, “Really? With ice cream?”
 
“Of course,” she said, standing up and placing one hand on her hip playfully, “it would be totally barbaric for me to serve cake without ice cream!”
 
“YAY!” I cheered joyfully, swinging Cheese around in circles.
 
“Chao!”
 
Catching sight of the weather outside, I soon stopped my jubilant dancing, which was probably for the best since Cheese was getting dizzy. Sitting down on the cushioned window seat, I peeked out through the misty glass as the poor Chao swayed from side to side in my arms, the yellow blob which floated above his head now a spiral of confusion. Large water droplets slid down the other side of the window while the wind buffeted the trees around the house, but that wasn't what interested me. The fields around my home were usually abundant in beautiful flowers of all kinds and colours, but I noticed recently that they had been getting fewer and fewer as the weeks grew colder. I knew that it couldn't be helped, it was just the time of year: winter was coming. But still, it made me sad to think that soon there wouldn't be any flowers left to play in. I sighed quietly, so as not to draw attention to myself while mother was setting out the plates.
 
Cosmo loved the flowers too…
 
Tails's POV
 
I thought that I'd be glad to see her go, to be alone again. Alone with just my thoughts about Cosmo for company. Not that I have anything against Cream, I like her a lot, I really do, and I meant what I said. I am glad that she came to see me last night. I just assumed that I'd be relieved when she left because then I wouldn't have to put on act anymore, I wouldn't have to pretend to be strong, that I could cope. But I was wrong.
 
I never realised until I watched her walk away down that path, skipping slightly down the slope in that playful way of hers, exactly how much her being here with me had helped. It was as if putting on a brave face for her had proven to me that it wasn't that hard to do, or at least that it was possible. I didn't think even think that smiling was possible a few days ago, yet today I found myself grinning at Cream as she got all embarrassed for no reason… So you can understand how surprised I felt when the expected feeling of hopelessness and despair didn't return as I was sure it would. Granted, it hasn't disappeared completely, but it's certainly decreased in magnitude, and life seems a bit more bearable now because of it.
 
Cream did that…
 
I was thinking about her a lot actually. Probably just because I was in the spare room, straightening the rumpled sheets on the small bed where she slept last night, but still… My mind cast back to the early hours of this morning as I worked, remembering how she looked when I went to wake her up. I only did it because I didn't want her mother to worry if slept in late, and considering how late the two of us stayed up last night, it wouldn't have surprised me if the little bunny hadn't woken up till midday. But when I first went in she looked so peaceful, curled up amidst the woollen, chequered blankets, breathing softly, that I almost didn't want to wake her. The pushy sunbeams had managed to seep in through the cracks in the closed blinds, stressing the fact that they hadn't been dusted in a while, and landed on the crown of her head, highlighting the tips of her pale tan fur. In my eyes she looked nothing short of angelic…
 
Rubbing the back of my head in an attempt to organise my thoughts, I sank onto the bed, completely destroying my hard work as the covers wrinkled at my touch. Why exactly am I thinking of Cream so much? I puzzled about it for a while, ignoring the golden specks of dust which danced around me, brought to life by the glow of the light bulb I'd switched on due to the stormy darkness. I don't like leaving problems unsolved, it annoys me.
 
Maybe it's because of how she was acting this morning… She was being kinda weird.
 
That had to be it; I thought she didn't look well. What if she was just covering up so that I wouldn't worry? That's just the sort of thing she'd do. Feeling distinctly troubled, I rested my elbows on my knees and propped my head up with my hands, wondering what to do next.
 
Perhaps I should go and see her, just to check she's ok…
 
I shook my head furiously. No way! I couldn't do that! She probably wouldn't want to see me anyway… would she? No, of course not! There is no way I'm going to see her! Getting to my feet, I crossed the room to the window and sharply tugged on the worn cord, allowing the blinds to reveal the outside world. The weather continued to openly display its foul mood, the rain sheeting down while the wind grew ever stronger, taking delight in ripping the leaves from the vulnerable saplings before their time. To be honest, it's been ages since I'd left the workshop; I'd been so wrapped up in my grief over Cosmo that going out just didn't seem important anymore. And now that I thought about it, I wasn't sure that I was ready.
 
Besides, the weather's too bad to go there now, I'll get soaked…
 
A sudden sparkle caught my eye, and I turned to see something small and golden, about the size of a penny, winking at me from the corner of the room. My fox-like curiosity soon got the better of me, and I scooped it up and proceeded to roll the strange thing between my thumb and index finger. Upon closer inspection I realised that it was the gold pin that Cream usually had attached to the cuff of one of her gloves, she must have dropped it earlier and not noticed. At that moment the hammering of the rain suddenly slowed, before ceasing altogether. Listening to the slow but consistent drip of rain water from the edge of the guttering, I sighed reluctantly, ears drooping.
 
Do you ever get the feeling that life is against you?
 
Cream's POV
 
Skipping happily down the soggy dirt path, I turned towards my favourite field, delighted that the rain had finally decided to stop. Cheese flew along side me, rapidly flapping his tiny pink wings in order to keep up, but I hurried on regardless. I had been allowed out by my mother on the promise that I wouldn't stray too far in case the storm started again, and I fully intended to make the most of what little time I had left with the flowers before the winter frost stole them away from me. Praying that I wouldn't slip on the wet earth in my rush, I finally reached my destination and let out a relieved but blissful sigh.
 
Before me lay a vast meadow carpeted in rainbow blooms. Petals of nearly every shape and hue waved at me in the wind, though most were too weighed down with moisture to do little more than quiver when the strong breeze reached them. The usually faint, delicate sent of the flowers had been enhanced by the previous rainfall, so that it hung thick in the air, creating a dreamy atmosphere when combined with the glimmer of the dewed grass in the late afternoon sunlight. The clouds had begun to clear, permitting the wild blossoms to bask in the sun's remaining rays, and I joined them, feeling its warmth on my fur. The entire scene was enchanting.
 
My smile grew wider as I gazed around, taking in the beauty that surrounded me. The numbers paled in comparison to the amount of flowers that made their homes here in the middle of summer, a time when the blooms grew so thickly that it was impossible to walk without treading on them, but there were still plenty here. I was afraid that most of them had already died.
 
Noticing that Cheese was struggling to stay by my side, I hastily plucked him from the air before the currents carried him away, and held him close. The weather may have dried up but it was still seriously windy out here. Slowly, I made my way towards the nearest cluster and knelt down, intent on picking them for one of my flower crowns, still clutching the Chao in both arms. I was lucky; the rain hadn't made the ground too muddy thanks to the chilly temperatures which swept through the grasslands at nightfall. It was blowing a gale now; I could feel my ears streaming behind me and I was beginning to feel rather off balance myself. I started to think that this was not such a good idea: I'm really very light for a rabbit; I have to be to be able to fly with only my ears. Another gust of wind, more powerful than the ones before, blasted me from the side, nearly knocking me over, and clawed at the back of my dress as crouched as low as I was able, my eyes frantically searching for the nearest form of protection. Setting my sights on a great oak tree a few meters away, I strived against the elemental forces which whirled around me, praying that the tree's large, splayed branched would provide stable shelter. That was when I made my mistake.
 
In order to get to my feet I needed one of my hands to push myself up, the wind was simply too strong for me to do it with my legs alone. Cheese moaned fretfully and screwed up his eyes as I took my right hand away from the embrace in which I held him and used it to shift my weight onto my feet, before finally gaining a rather wobbly upright stance. Unable to control my reflexes, I threw my arms out in desperation, making a feeble effort to keep my balance as I teetered precariously. As though sensing my weakness, the evil tempest swiftly snatched my friend from my grasp, whisking him away.
 
“CHEESE!!!” I cried, distraught.
 
Only the shrieking of the vindictive wind answered. Without a though for my personal safety, I spread my ears, allowing the weather to take total advantage of their full span, and leapt into the swirling air, the currents propelling me onward with little effort on my part. Tears streaked down my face as I flew, fiery determination flaring from within my normally tranquil irises. In a matter of moments my keen hearing picked up on the terrified squeaks of my beloved Chao, and I battled to control my flight path, flapping my ears to further increase my speed. Cheese was a little ahead, the squall mercilessly keeping him just out of my reach. With one final endeavour, I clasped his small form in my hands and held on for dear life, refusing to be separated from him again.
 
Exhaustion flooded through me, the last of my panic inspired energy fading once Cheese was safe in my clutches. I no longer had the strength to fight the wind, my lead-lined ears no longer seemed capable of sustaining flight. Fear clamped my heart as the comprehension dawned on me that the tempest now how had complete control, and doing the only thing I think of, I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the inevitable impact of whatever the wind deemed to blow me into.
 
But when the impact came it wasn't the painful experience I had envisioned. Instead it was soft, as I was blown against something furry and alive. Strong hands gripped my waist, and although I was still to cowardly to open my eyes, I could perceive the whirring sound of rotating propellers somewhere behind me. At least I think it was behind me, at that point I was too disorientated to tell. The sound increased in intensity as I was carried steadily out of the central whirlwind before coming into a slight crash landing, my rescuer taking the brunt of the collision as I was thrown on top of him.
 
“Ughh… Cream are you ok?”
 
My eyes snapped open to reveal a caramel furred fox staring up at me with eyes of the purest cyan. For a moment I didn't know who he was, I was still too shook up, then I remembered the propellers…
 
“T-Tails?!”
 
I couldn't believe it, Tails had rescued me! I had no idea that he was such a strong flyer. Realising the questionable position I was in, I quickly scrambled away, my face burning.
 
Ignoring my ungracious exclamation, the kitsune pushed himself up and continued to gaze at me with the usual traces of anxiety. “You're not hurt are you?”
 
Shaking my head, I forced myself to look at him properly despite my flushed appearance, “No, I think I'm ok… thanks to you.”
 
Tails rubbed the back of head and grinned, “That's a relief, you had no idea how worried you had me when I saw you being blown away like that!” His own cheeks achieved a pink tinge at that comment, and he looked away, taking interest in the flutter of petals encircling us. “What exactly happened? You know you shouldn't be out here in this weather!”
 
“Well the storm calmed down a little earlier so I came out with Cheese-” I stopped in mid sentence as I remembered my Chao, and found him unconscious in my arms.
 
“Cheese? Cheese are you alright?” I asked worriedly, cradling the creature.
 
Seeing my distress, Tails leaned over to get a closer look, “Don't worry, he's only fainted,” he said kindly, “Probably because of the shock of it all.”
 
Relieved, I gave him a shy smile and edged closer. We'd landed underneath one of the countryside's many large trees, the thick trunk and leafy canopy providing some of the much needed shelter from the ever present air currents. He'd done so much for me, I owed him my life - he was a hero! And yet he merely sat there, leaning his back on the rough bark of the tree with that thoughtful expression on his features, still looking at me.
 
I can't believe he battled those winds for me…
 
“Thank you so much for saving me and Cheese,” I blurted suddenly, unsure how to express my gratitude, “You were so brave!”
 
Tails grinned, embarrassed, “Not really, anyone would have done the same. You're lucky I came by!”
 
Curiosity made me question further. “Why did you come by?” I asked, assuming my most innocent expression.
 
For some reason, that seemed to embarrass him even more, “Well I, er, just wanted to check that you were ok after this morning,” he mumbled, then rummaged inside his tails before pulling out something small and shiny, “And to give you this. You left it at my place.”
 
As he dropped the item onto my upturned palm, I saw that it was in fact one of the gold pins from my gloves, and sure enough there was a empty slit in my left cuff were it should have been. I found it strange that I'd never noticed it before. I stared at him, bewildered.
 
He came all that way just to give me this?
 
I felt the funny-Tails-feeling make a triumphant return, the tiny butterflies beating their wings against the insides of my stomach. But oddly enough, it didn't feel so bad this time. I smiled in spite of myself, not caring anymore, and shifted over till I was right by Tails's side. The fox-boy reddened slightly as I gently leant my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes as I did so.
 
“Thank you Tails.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --
 
It was past eight in the evening when the wind finally died down enough for us to safely leave the field, so darkness had fallen when I eventually made it home. Tails had insisted on walking me back, not that I needed much persuasion in my current tired state, the day's exertion having effectively worn me out. I invited him indoors in return; it seemed the least I could after everything that had happened, but he politely declined, saying that he had to return to his workshop to ensure that there had been no weather damage. So after thanking him once more, I bade him goodnight and entered my house, still carrying the sleeping Chao, were I was greeted by my mother's overwhelming embrace.
 
“Oh Cream, thank goodness you're safe!” she cried the moment I stepped through the door, “You had me so worried!”
 
I returned the hug, releasing Cheese first so he wouldn't get squashed. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry,” I murmured dozily.
 
“Whatever happened?”
 
“I got into a bit of trouble…” I paused to yawn, “But Tails came by and helped me so it's ok.”
 
I watched my mother's shapely eyebrows shoot up in alarm, “What?! Cream I told you that you shouldn't have gone outside…” She trailed off, seeing my drooping eyelids as I looked up at her apologetically, and sighed. “Never mind that now,” she said soothingly, stroking my aching ears, “So Tails helped you, eh?”
 
“Yeah, I left my glove pin at his place and he brought it back…”
 
“Oh really?” she tittered knowingly, though I was not wide awake enough to understand, and started wandering into the kitchen, “He's such a nice boy…”
 
“Yes,” I smiled, gazing out the window in the direction Tails had left, “he really is.”
 
End Chapter
 
Well that's another chapter over and done with; it's quite a long one too! What did you think? I hope it didn't drag on too much. Please review and let me know your opinions, good reviews inspire me to write as soon as I read them, so if you want me to get moving and update faster then you know what you gotta do! ^_^
 
Oh, if you dislike Cosmo for whatever reason then never fear! As you can see, the sweet bunny is slowly making progress lol. As for those who dislike Cream - well what on earth are doing here in the first place? Cream is adorable!! Ok, ok I'm done now… heh, heh.
 
Till next time,
 
fairy-girl