Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventure 2: The ARK Incident ❯ 3. Day Two--City Escape ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Sonic Adventure 2 Battle characters or plotline, I'm just borrowing them and showing you guys their character quirks. So, while I don't own the game dialogue or plot, it doesn't give you the right to steal this fic, and if you do I'll hunt you down.
 
 
This sucked. Really, it did.
 
Sonic sat, his arms folded. Well…as closest to “folded” he could get, what with the handcuffs and all. Two armored guards sat on either side of him, keeping steady, hands on their guns, poised for any sudden action.
 
The blue blur sighed. “Yo, helmet-head. How much longer?”
 
“However long it takes,” was the snapped answer. “Now be quiet.”
 
Sheesh…
 
Sonic tried to be quiet. He honestly gave it a shot, trying to ignore the fact that he'd done nothing wrong and focusing instead on the thrumming of the helicopter blades. When his foot tapped, however, he found the barrel of a gun shoved in his mouth.
 
“Don't,” came a growl, “move.”
 
Inwardly groaning, Sonic gave a mock salute and sat stiff as a board, his mind wandering in reverse.
 
“Got any chilidogs?”
 
“For Sonic the Hedgehog? Any time.”
 
Sonic closed his eyes happily, enjoying the crunch of the onions and the spice of the sauce. Perfect. A real chilidog. He'd scarf these, chase it down with a drink, of course, then run around and see what was up. The city had been abuzz with some sort of news, but every time he tried to get to a TV he faced huge crowds. And although he could put up with them, he preferred to stay out of them…especially after that concert. He hoped it was Eggman; it'd been a couple months at least since his thrashing with Perfect Chaos…and he even had new shoes to run him down with.
 
Sonic glanced at his shoes, remembering the sunny, hopeful smile that had accompanied them. They were nice.
 
A tap came to his shoulder. “Sonic the Hedgehog?”
 
“The one and only,” was said hedgehog's breezy reply as he turned and slicked a hand through his quills. “Who's askin'—whoa.”
 
He was sitting eyelevel, staring down a gun. “We're going to have to ask you to come with us.”
 
“Can't it wait?” he sighed, looking at the remaining chilidogs longingly.
 
“No.”
 
“Fine,” was the woeful sigh. “But make it quick, wouldja? I don't want my lunch getting cold.”
 
The next thing he knew was pain shooting up his arm as it was wrenched behind his back. “Sonic the Hedgehog, you are under arrest.”
 
“For what?!” Sonic yelped as customers stared, wide-eyed. “I didn't do anything except bust Eggman's chops! And last I checked the law enforcement didn't take sides with fat evil madmen!”
 
“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used in a court of law—”
 
“Hey, hey, hey! Easy!” Sonic cried as he felt cold metal snap around his wrists tightly. He twisted to get a look at his arresting officer and found his face mashed into a logo. He jerked his head back, the letters practically burned into his retinas.
 
G.U.N
 
The military…? Sonic thought quizzically. Honestly, what did I do to get on the military's A-list?
 
Another realization hit him with a lighting bolt.
 
Oh crap. Oh crap oh crap oh crap. Me being arrested equals not being able to make my time with Amy tonight…oh man. She's gonna kill me. There's no way she'd believe I got arrested. I actually promised this time…
 
But there had been nothing Sonic could do to convince the military that damn it, he did not conspire with Eggman. So he was resigned to sitting in a military copter, guns practically shoved up his ass, as he was toted to the “highly secure” Prison Island with his thoughts of impending doom once Amy thought that she had again been stood up.
 
Enough of this, Sonic finally thought, his mind made up. If these bullheads won't listen to reason, then…
 
“This is Sigma-Alpha-Two, heading due south over the city,” the uniformed soldier in the cockpit said into his radio. “We're en route, everything's a go.” He was completely oblivious to the snap of one of Sonic's handcuffs as his wrist broke free and to the cry of alarm from his guards.
 
“This is control tower,” was the response. “We have you on radar. Report status of captured hedgehog aboard, over.”
 
“That's a ten-four,” the pilot replied cheerily, unaware that it was anything but a ten-four as Sonic's hand connected with the back of a man's neck.
 
“Sorry, guy,” the blue blur said quietly. “You'll wake up with a sore neck, but that's about it.” Briskly he strode to the locked door.
 
“Cargo secured on board,” the pilot continued, “and—what?!” He twisted in his seat as he heard a loud crash, and his mouth fell open at the scene before him. Sonic stood before the kicked-off door, his quills blowing wildly in the wind of the whirling chopper blades, handcuffs hanging from his left wrist. Surrounding him were the bodies of all personel on the helicopter, simply knocked out.
 
“What's wrong?” the toneless voice from the military base asked, abruptly snapping the pilot out of his thoughts.
 
He grabbed the radio, shouting frantically, “The hedgehog is gone, he's taken out everyone aboard and—what in the world?!”
 
“Didn't copy that, over,” was the worried response on the other end. The unfortunate soldier, however, was preoccupied.
 
Sonic had leapt from the helicopter and was immediately thrown backwards from the force of the wind. Reaching a hand out, he grabbed the tail of the helicopter, hanging on as tightly as he could, blowing in the fierce wind limply.
 
“Freeze!” the pilot shrieked. He twisted in his seat again, hesitant to let go of the controls, shouting to those groggily awakening instead. “What do you think you're doing?! Get that hedgehog!!
 
“Talk about a low-budget flight,” Sonic shouted cheekily, swinging his feet upwards forcefully, twisting himself onto the helicopter tail. “No food or movies? I'm outta here! I like running better,” he added as an afterthought, ripping a sheet of metal up. He took the ends and twisted them around his shoes, securing his foothold. Bending his knees, he launched himself into the air, drifting down from the helicopter in slow spirals.
 
An excitement bubbled up in his stomach, and soon it was too much for Sonic to hold in. He let out a whoop as the city rushed up to meet him at an alarming rate. Hearing a steady thrumming above him, he looked up. Well, looks like he called for some buddies. This'll be fun!
 
His makeshift board connected with the hard cement. Sonic pitched forward, sparks flying in his face. He pinwheeled his arms frantically, slowly regaining his balance. Finally, he straightened, and with a large grin, let gravity take hold.
 
Drivers were startled as a blue hedgehog wove in and out of their vision, leaving behind him a horrible screeching noise and a trail of red-hot sparks as he continued down the steady incline.
 
Cheerfully, Sonic composed a song on the spot. “Rollin' around at the speed of sound! Got places to go gotta follow my rainbow!”
 
That line would need some work, he thought momentarily, cringing a bit. Regardless, he continued on.
 
“Can't stick around have to keep movin' on. Guess what lies ahead? Only one way to find out! Must keep on movin' ahead. No time for guessin' follow my plan instead! Trusting in what you can't see. Take my lead, I'll set you free. Follow me, set me free. Trust me and we will escape from the ci-ty! I'll make it through, follow—follow me…set me free. Trust me and we will escape from the ci-ty. I'll make it through…follow me!”
 
Not too bad, he supposed. For a first verse and the chorus.
 
The commonly known fact was that Sonic the Hedgehog loved his music. He was often seen at concerts or wearing a set of headphones. The surprising fact? Sonic wrote music himself, usually on an impulse or in the middle of some sort of activity, such as fleeing the military on a sheet of helicopter tail while weaving in and out of cars.
 
He wasn't sure where it came from, he supposed as he nearly flattened himself against his makeshift board to duck under a semi. They just…popped into his head. The most successful one so far, he had to admit, was Open Your Heart. He'd written it after Perfect Chaos and was secretly very proud of it.
 
Half-lost in his train of musical thought, Sonic didn't see the G.U.N. robot until he hit it, flying from his board to hit a wall. Stunned, he simply sat there for a moment, until a bullet clipped some of his headfur. Sonic stood and took off, shaking his head rapidly to clear it.
 
Better be more careful, he thought. His upper body simply relaxed and let his legs do all the work. His legs, however, relied on his feet, so he supposed it was his sleek shoes doing the work.
 
Hedgehog, sometimes you just don't make sense. But that makes life more fun!
 
He turned a corner and slid under more robots, shooting through an alleyway and making a sharp left onto another main street. As he shot by a chili dog vendor, he nimbly snatched two, stuffing one in his mouth with a muffled “Fanks!!”
 
At least now I have something they can charge me with. Yes, officer, I stole two chilidogs from that street vendor, but that's all I did. But dang, these aren't half bad. Not bad at all. Needs some more spice, though, definitely.
 
He popped the other one in his mouth and chewed, closing his eyes and savoring the taste regardless of too little spice. He opened his shining emerald orbs just in time to see a swarm of G.U.N. beetles headed at his face. He leapt, rapping a few tops with his feet as he passed, then flew into another alleyway, his feet barely skimming the ground.
 
Seeing another swarm cutting him off at the end made him screech to a halt and turn. He was fenced in on both sides. In lieu of panicking, he grinned and ran in place, slowly speeding up. When he was going fast enough to run a hole in the cement, he flew at the wall and jumped.
 
Running down and up a building was an art Sonic had perfected long ago. Both were equally dangerous. Running down the side of a building entailed running with gravity versus letting it take its course. If the blue hedgehog allowed the latter, he would be killed in one of the most painful ways possible. Running at a speed that could break the sound barrier, rushing to the ground…he figured every bone in his body would be completely shattered. Whereas running up a building, he had to build up enough speed to get him up the side completely. If not…
 
Luckily for him, he had enough momentum to clear the roof, and then some. He hovered in the air momentarily before falling, slowly at first, but picking up speed. As soon as his feet hit the rooftop, he bounded again, hopping from roof to roof. The wind whistled in his ears, which was annoying, but overall he was enjoying himself.
 
These military guys sure know how to keep a guy busy, he thought cheerily. “Hey!” he called to a helicopter. “Can I get a ride with you?” Without waiting for an answer, he catapulted off an antenna and grabbed it, dangling and looking at the view. “Nice,” he whistled.
 
A bullet ricocheted off the metal just in front of his fingers. “Hey!” the hedgehog shouted up. “Some hospitality! I get the message!” He swung his feet down as he let go, sailing towards the ground, not worried a bit. Hey, a pole! He grabbed onto the protruding flagpole and spun around on it before letting go, sailing even higher into the air. His landing site was a taxi roof, and he was off again as more Beetles spotted him, car-jumping.
 
But seriously. Why would I work with Eggman? He's got the whole “world domination” thing and some serious anger issues. He'll burst a blood vessel one of these days. Then again, knowing ol' Roboman, he'll live to be an onery old cuss and haunt me when he's gone.
 
Sonic grinned slightly at the thought. His feet hit the pavement and he was again off, zooming down a ramp onto the freeway. This is more like it. More room to run.
 
He relaxed as he realized he'd lost all the military robots and Beetles and took a look around him. Most paid him no mind; he ran these roads frequently enough. Westopolis was close enough to Station Square, after all. One little girl, however, looked miserable in the backseat. Sonic fell back a little and knocked on the window gently. The driver, a woman, was on the phone and paid it no mind. The girl looked out the window, and her face lit up.
 
Cute, Sonic thought, and grinned. He always liked seeing a kid smile. She pressed a hand to the glass, and he rested his own gloved one on the opposite side of the window. He then grinned, gave her the thumbs up, winked, and sped forward, weaving in and out of cars.
 
This is way too much fun. Hell, if I can lay low in a bit, here, maybe this whole thing will blow over and I can meet Ames so she won't kill me.
 
Sonic thought briefly of how happy she'd looked when he absolutely swore on chilidogs that he'd be there. It was the same time she'd given him the shoes. “I saw them and thought they looked like you,” she'd said, giving a shy, hopeful smile. Today was the first day he'd put them on, so she'd see them. He wasn't sure what to think of them at first, but they were nice. The arch was perfect for grinding down rails, he'd discovered earlier. They had a good bounce to them as his feet smacked against the pavement, and soon they barely skimmed the freeway.
 
Good call, Ames.
 
A loud horn made his thought bubble explode. Thinking it was an impatient driver or scaredy-cat, Sonic twisted around, running backwards to give the driver a piece of his mind. His eyes widened as he saw that it wasn't an angry old lady but instead a huge semi with the letters G.U.N. painted on the front.
 
“So much for blowing over!” he squeaked, turning back around and taking off. “These guys are either insanely persistent or completely nuts! They're worse than Eggman! He at least knows when to give up!”
 
After a minute or so, Sonic was convinced that he'd lost it. He was promptly proven wrong, however, as the semi roared directly behind him, one of the front wheels nipping at his brand-new sneakers. “Hey!” Sonic yelled back. “Easy! I actually like these!” He leaned forward, his arms locking and following the angle of his body.
 
He pulled forward, but this time, Sonic wasn't going to take any chances. This guy really wanted to run him over. “What kinda morons are they letting in the military these days?” he muttered, his legs pumping faster.
 
Cars tried to move out of the way as the semi barreled through them. Most succeeded in veering to the left or right, but some were flattened or thrown into the air. Sonic gritted his teeth angrily, knowing the disaster this game of cat-and-mouse was causing. All he could see was the smiling little girl, and he furiously hoped she was all right. He had to get off the freeway.
 
He took the next ramp and made a sharp right, barreling through a neighborhood. The semi would probably try to cut him off somewhere ahead; he toyed with the idea of using the rooftop express once more. But to his shock, the truck stayed on his heels.
 
Oooh bad idea...if he's this desperate, he'll probably go right through houses! Someone's really gotta tell the Pres what's goin' on with the military.
 
Sonic shot out of the neighborhood and stuck to the main street, where there was more room for the truck. “There's no way you run on gas,” he whistled. “There's gotta be some way to shake you.” But for the moment, all he could do was run and try not to get hit or cause too much damage.
 
For the millionth time that afternoon, Sonic wondered what exactly was going on. The only thing he could think of was Eggman had stirred up some serious shit. His carefree mood was dwindling and being replaced with a confident determination. He was going to find out the cause behind this and put a stop to it.
 
Sonic spotted an overpass up ahead. He wasn't sure if anyone was on it, and he prayed there wasn't. His legs moved even faster, and the wind shrieked in his ears so loudly he was half-afraid of going deaf. The semi, of course, followed.
 
Please be sturdy, please don't let anyone be on that, please be sturdy, please don't let anyone be on that…
 
He shot under it, screeched to a halt, and turned with a heavy feeling in his stomach. The semi had been stopped, and oh thank god, there was no one hurt. Sonic sighed in relief and watched smoke pour from the kamikaze semi truck.
 
He looked up at the afternoon sky briefly, knowing this wasn't going to be over quickly, then ran.
 
END NOTES
 
Finally! I've been getting spastic writer's blocks, and bursts of inspiration when I'm someplace I can't write them out. e.e My “e” key on my laptop is stuck, and this thing needs to be cleaned…outwardly and internally. I've got a bunch of stuff to move to my external harddrive so this will speed up x.x But anyway. That's not important right now.
 
Ah, Sonic. He—for the most part—cooperated. I had to listen to City Escape quite a few times, but once I finally got going, his attitude kicked in and it was smooth sailing. He actually swears quite a bit, but only because he's being a cool boy or he's upset or angry.
 
The explanation for the mysterious shoes which show up suddenly then disappear after the game's end, never to be seen in another game? A gift from Amy that gets shredded with all the running he does in this adventure. I did flip out a couple weeks ago when I saw that he uses them in Sonic X Season 3, though. XD… I'm a nerd. I got all excited. Anyone else notice his hovershoes are a ripoff of Shadow's? >>
 
See you next chapter