Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic the Hedgehog: Robotnik Wars ❯ Sonic and Sally's Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Sonic and Sally's Prologue
 
Princess Sally Alicia Acorn sat on the large log that faced the Ring Pool and brooded. The magical pond emitted a faint glimmering light which helped to alleviate some of the gloom, as the stars were barely visible through the pollution in the sky.
 
“BOO!” yelled a voice behind her. Sally shot a full two feet into the air and her scream could be heard in broadest Knothole.
DON'T EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN YOU SPINEY HALF WIT!!” she screamed into the face of Sonic the Hedgehog.
 
“ Sorry Sal couldn't resist. You never heard me comin' did ya? Well you know what they say: he sped by so fast we couldn't here it!”
 
“You… you… you…” but Sally couldn't find the words, instead she sank down on the log. She wrapped her arms around herself and shuddered. Tonight, several of their fellow Freedom Fighters had been captured following a raid on Robotnik's factory, including the old man called Cat. Ever since Robotnik had built his COM-Bots, sot of super SWAT-Bots, the Freedom Fighters had been very hard pressed to attack him, and they had nearly been captured far too often. She sighed. They'd barley been able to damage Robotnik in the past few months and even though Sonic had led a mission to get their comrades back, it was unlikely he would totally succeed. It was all starting to get so hopeless.
 
We'll never defeat Robotnik, she thought. We've been fighting him for the last ten years and we've done what? Blown up a few factories and labs that can easily be rebuilt a few months later? What have we really accomplished?
 
She buried her face in her hands, beginning to realize that the last ten years hadn't just been an insurrection but a fight to survive.
 
“Hey Sal you haven't been into to my chilidogs have you?” said Sonic but Sally just aimed a withering tear-stained look at him.
 
“I'm sorry Sal. I shouldn't have…”
 
“It's ok Sonic,” said Sally, “ I was just begging to feel the strain of it all. How…how did you do?” Sonic shook his head.
 
“We managed to get Amy out but the rest were gone… including Cat.” Sonic's fist shook as he clenched it.
 
“We just barley got inside in the fist place and had to leave under threat of COM-Bot interference. I swear Sal. We need to get into one of those factories and stop him from making any more.” Sally hung her head.
 
“Even if we could, which is doubtful, what would it accomplish? The other factories will just make more,” she said, notes of defeat creeping into her voice, “at this point it will probably be our children or grandchildren who defeat Robotnik. And by then there might not be enough of Mobius left to save. Or maybe Robotnik will stop fooling around and finally send an army to finish us off. He told me once that he keeps giving us chances to escape because… we… amuse him.” She then began to cry.
 
“Sal.” said Sonic gripping her shoulders. Although usually carefree and cavalier in attitude Sonic could be deadly serious when it was warranted.
 
“Sal… Sal look at me! I know its been tough these last few months. Sure we've been at this ten years,” a fierce passionate fire burned in his eyes, “ but I don't care if it takes 20 or 30 years, WE WILL DEFEAT ROBOTNIK! And I WILL be there when he goes down! `Cause I plan to be the one who does it!”
 
“Oh Sonic, I don't know what I would do without you! You always cheer me up when I begin to lose faith. You truly are the light of my life!”
 
“Well if wasn't for your coveted rank of `princess', I would be in charge of this whole operation! I would take all of our Freedom Fighters and go in there and give old blubber bolts a piece of our minds,” Sonic picked up a stick and began to wave it around like a sword, “ fighting with the force of a hundred mobians! Fighting like a lion! Fighting like a tiger! Fighting…” Sally clamped a hand on Sonic's mouth, leaned over and kissed him.
 
“All as safely as possible,” smiled Sonic.
 
“Thank you Sonic. You've helped more than you know. I just wish that we could get some sort of… decisive advantage against Robotnik. The other Freedom Fighter groups are to far spread and to few in numbers to be of great help. I just wish we could get… an edge,” she said. Sonic put his arms around her.
 
“I'm sure we'll get it sooner or later. I believe we will. Now come on, everyone's waiting to see you,” said Sonic, leading her away from the ring pool.
 
“You know if you really want my job it's up for grabs,” she said playfully.
 
“Yeah right. You really think I'm that stupid?” said Sonic as he raced off. As Sally made to follow him, she turned around and suddenly, for some reason, she saw a star appear and glow briefly yellow, and then fade away gain. She didn't have time to wonder what it meant when Sonic's voice yelled for her to come. She took one last look skyward and then ran off to join the rest of the Freedom Fighters.