Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Iron Heart MK II ❯ Run Around ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story except for Metal Sonic 2. The others are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

I likes the da fight scenes!

Chapter 7: Run Around

There was a loud crashing sound as the body of a SWATbot burst through a wall on the other side of the room. Walking through the smoke and dust, Metal-2 stepped over the wreckage, his glowing red eyes focused in front of him. He took note of the room, of Amy, Robotnik, and especially Blur.

"I'm here, Robotnik." He said forcefully. "Free Amy. Now."

Robotnik looked him in the eye, holding the remote in his hand at his side. "I don't like your attitude." He began slyly. "It's time for an adjustment." He said, and clicked the button.

Metal-2 clenched his fists, and his head tilted forward slightly as he was stricken with pain. It slowly wore off as his recent upgrade fought off the remote's effect. After a moment of struggling with himself, Metal-2 shook his head and regained focus.

"What?! How could it fail?!" Robotnik yelled, shocked.

"I'm not your pawn anymore, Robotnik." Metal-2 answered as he began to walk towards the scientist. "Your monster has turned against its creator." His tone changed to that of a joke for a moment as he gave the next phrase. "It's only typical."

"Argh! It doesn't matter!" Robotnik growled, swinging his fist through the air. "Blur, attack!"

The nimble robot stepped forward, standing several feet in front of Metal-2.

"And just what are you?" Metal-2 asked, unafraid.

Blur gave no answer, and instead vanished, only to instantly appear behind Metal-2. He turned around just as Blur again vanished and reappeared to Metal-2's left. And then again to the right. Blur kept doing so, circling Metal-2.

Robotnik crossed his arms, and spoke to Metal-2. "Now you will suffer. Blur has been engineered specifically to attack your weaknesses!" And he finished with a slight laugh.

Blur's speed increased, and he appeared to split into four identical robots, which surrounded Metal-2. The robot was surprised at first, but undeterred. "I've had enough of theses cheap parlor tricks!" Metal-2 said as he activated his blasters. He aimed at one of the robots and laid down a continuous stream of fire, hoping to hit Blur as he passed. The shots barely missed at first, but after several seconds, Metal-2 got a lucky hit on Blur's shoulder. The robot's momentum was disrupted, slowing him down and allowing Metal-2 to score more hits.

But this time, the shots were stopped by an invisible barrier that surrounded Blur. The robot stood still, letting his shield take the hits. Metal-2 stopped firing, seeing that it was futile. Robotnik saw it, and couldn't resist commenting. "Your weapons are useless! Blur will take advantage of your every flaw!"

Blur sipped around behind Metal-2, and swiped at him using the blade edge of his arm spike. Metal-2 saw the attack in time to dodge it, but barely. Blur came at him with a barrage of swipes, moving with incredible speed. Metal-2 was struck several times, tearing shallow gashes in his armor.

Having had enough, Metal-2 surprised Blur with a kick to the chest. The lightweight robot was sent across the room, crashing at Robotnik's feet. It quickly stood back up, its shield weak. Metal-2 flew toward it in a tackle position. But he stopped and activated his blasters just as Blur moved out of the way. Metal-2 fired at Blur, catching him off guard. The robot's shield was badly damaged after being forced to activate like that.

"Quit messing around, and get him!" Robotnik shouted, and Blur obeyed. The robot rushed forward, sliding around Metal-2's defense, and sliced the rubber covering of the backs of Metal-2's knees. The robot's internal parts were undamaged, allowing him to get out of the way of the next slice.

Metal-2 fired his blasters, but Blur anticipated the attack and already had his shield up. It took minimal damage this time, as it was already active. That gave Metal-2 an idea. He flew forward, acting like he was about to kick Blur, and the robot jumped up to avoid it. But Blur's face met the unexpected fist of Metal-2, and the robot crashed to the ground. Metal-2 landed on top of it feet-first, and was about to fire when his target disappeared.

Blur returned to view in the air above Metal-2, and aimed his blasters at the robot. Blur fired, and Metal-2 was thrown down, but quickly recovered and got to his feet. Blur landed, and the two robots circled each other, each gliding above the ground through flight. They rushed at each other, each throwing a punch, and both hit the other's chest.

Metal-2 wasted no time in firing on Blur again, and finished of the robot's shield. It shattered, and Blur was hit by its force. The robot repaid Metal-2 by dashing forwards and kicking the back of Metal-2's leg. The robot began to fall over, and was hit from the side before he hit the ground. A barrage of attacks came from a blue and silver streak that rushed with blinding speed.

With each blow, Metal-2 took more and more damage. His armor was weakening, and he had to find a solution. His mind rushed through everything he knew about Blur, and the attacks continued, even as Metal-2 stood up.

"Metal!" Amy cried, helplessly as she watched the robot being ruthlessly beaten.

Reminded of what he was fighting for, Metal-2 scanned around for Blur. The robot was almost moving too fast for him to track.

Almost.

Metal-2 reached out and grabbed Blur by the leg, sending the robot's face into the ground. He slammed his palm into Blur's back, trying to keep him there. Robotnik saw that things weren't going well, and had no choice but to move on to his emergency plan. He pulled a lever on the wall, and Blur reached back to grab Metal-2's arm. He did so, and the two robots disappeared in a flash of light.

"What did you do to them?!" Amy shouted, her eyes desperately searching for Metal-2.

"I've sent them to a special track of mine..." Robotnik replied, and pulled another lever. A large screen lowered from the ceiling, and on it appeared a straight, metal road that seemed to curve upwards forever. There was a flash, and they both watched as Metal-2 and Blur appeared on the track. Robotnik turned to Amy to explain. "It's time for plan B!"

Blur rolled around and knocked Metal-2 away. He got up, and rushed off, running along the track. Metal-2, not knowing where he was or how he got there, decided to follow. As he was catching up, his scanners noticed something unusual about the gravity. He seemed to be in a tunnel of some sort, surrounded by metal.

The robot soon caught up with Blur; and it had seemed almost too easy. Blur looked behind him for a moment as he flew just inches above the ground. He had his arms behind him as he flew, and the blasters were pointed in Metal-2's general direction.

Suddenly, Blur aimed and fired, hitting Metal-2. The robot was surprised, but quickly caught on and began to dodge a seemingly endless barrage of lasers, which instead hit the ground. Metal-2 decided to return fire, and held his arms forward, bent at the elbows.

Lasers flew both ways between them, rarely hitting either robot. The robots weren't still, either. They were not only constantly moving forward, but also all around, sometimes through the air, to the left and right, and even spiraling across the walls and ceiling of the tunnel. Each was busy dodging and firing, neither having the time to truly focus on either style.

After a short while, Metal-2 began to notice laser burns on the floor, walls and ceiling. They would pass by at a regular rate, and that's when Metal-2 realized the truth. "Of course!" He thought. "The ground is always going up because we're in a giant loop!"

Having knowledge of the environment, and what was coming up, Metal-2 confidently applied more power to his engines, and pulled ahead of Blur. The speedy enemy moved its blasters to a forward-facing position, and fired. Before Metal-2 could move on to the next phase of his plan, he was hit, and disrupted. The robot quickly turned around and flew backwards. Firing his arm blasters at Blur. Blur dodged and fired, but Metal-2 stopped dodging. He instead focused on aiming and shooting, and managed to get a number of hits on a failing Blur.

However, this was not without its consequences. Blur was also able to hit Metal-2, and the two robots were tearing each other apart. The lasers shred through both machines' armor, and Metal-2 was beginning to destabilize.

"Ha ha ha, wonderful!" Robotnik said, watching the carnage.

"How can you say that?!" shouted Amy, horrified at it all. "That's an innocent life you're destroying!"

Robotnik looked coldly at her. "No, it's a failed experiment. Now keep quiet and let me enjoy this!" he shouted, turning back to the screen. Amy promised herself that if she got out of all this, she would do something for Metal-2.

The two robots were both beginning to flounder, and Metal-2 had opted to resort to physical combat. It soon became apparent that he was much stronger than Blur, but much slower. Still, when Metal-2 got a lucky grab on Blur's arm, he didn't let go. The robot slammed his fist into Blur's face repeatedly, bashing the machine's visor. Blur hit Metal-2 with a close-range blast from his arm weapon, and Metal-2 was forced to let go.

"WARNING! ALL PARTS DAMAGED! 40-90% DAMAGE!" The status readouts of Metal-2's HUD displayed. He couldn't take much more. Fortunately, neither could Blur. But he had to make a decisive move now, or he risked losing the fight. "And that means losing Amy..." He realized, and it motivated him further.

Metal-2 waited until Blur went for another slice attack, and back flipped immediately after grabbing his opponent's arm.. Metal-2 slammed Blur into the ground, and jumped away. "I hope this works..." Metal-2 thought as he began to feed power to his shoulder lasers. Blur had been nearly paralyzed after that last hit, and was shakily working to get back up.

Metal-2 built up power in front of his shoulder lasers, and energy began to glow in front of them as waves of power were sucked in. The energy was condensed further, giving off a brilliant glow. Blur was just getting to his feet as Metal-2 relaxed his body to steady it, and fired.

He unleashed two ultra bright twin lasers into Blur's damaged body. The lasers tore through Blur, exploding his joints and shattering his arms and legs in volatile fireballs. Small explosions ripped through what was left of the machine as it was slammed into the curved ground. The metal of Blur's body tore and broke away as it was either melted or blown off. Soon only the frame and the hardiest of internal components were left. Metal-2 gave one final burst of power, ending the beams obliterating what was left of his foe.

Fire and smoke were mixed with debris that was ejected everywhere from the huge explosion that was caused by Blur's destruction. The force of it knocked Metal-2 back onto the ground, and, much to his surprise, he fell to the wall. The gravity had seemed to shift, and it caused Metal-2 to really wonder where he was. He then noticed a large hole in what had been the walls and ceiling in the vicinity of Blur's explosion. Weakly, a battered Metal-2 stepped up to the edge of the hole. He looked out, and was surprised to see Robotropolis.

"What on Mobius?!" Metal-2 wondered. He then looked in the distance, and saw what appeared to be a tube on the far wall of the city. It ran along the edge of Robotropolis, and included the place where he now stood. "I get it! I was on the edge of the city the whole time!" He realized, and after a moment of thinking, remembered his mission.

"IMPOSSIBLE!" Robotnik shouted, shoving his fist into the screen, shattering it. "I designed Blur to unstoppable to Metal-2!"

"Yeah, well..." Amy began, "You designed Metal to imitate Sonic. And he does the impossible on a regular basis!" She cheerfully said, angering him.

There was an explosion from the ceiling, and Metal-2 landed in the room. "You also designed me to be a killer." He said, facing Robotnik. "And my next target is right in front of me!"

Metal-2 was horribly damaged, much of his armor gone, and with an electrical surge here or there. His frame was exposed, as were many of his fragile internal parts. His visor was cracked in several places, and one of his back spikes had been torn off. But still, he approached Robotnik with incredible determination.

"Not today, robot!" The scientist yelled, and hit a switch on the wall behind him. A glass tube rose up from the floor around Amy. It slowly began to fill with a roboticization fluid, a catalyst that would make the process go quickly. "You have a choice to make!" Robotnik himself gave a quick evil grin to Metal-2 before disappearing through a door, which locked behind him.

"No contest." Metal-2 thought to himself as he ran up to Amy. He had to break the promise he made to himself to finish Robotnik off, but it would be worth it to him. He reached up with his arms, still barely functional, and shattered the glass. The fluid rushed away, thinning out across the floor. Metal-2 freed Amy, and she hopped down to the floor. Metal-2's appearance worried her. It was eerie to see the moving parts inside of something that seemed so alive. The gyros in his head, the metal cables and hydraulics that moved his joints, and his metal endoskeleton which wasn't quite so `endo' anymore.

"Are you okay, Metal?" Amy asked. She knew he wasn't, but still felt the need to ask.

"I will be, if we can get out of here." He told her. To Metal-2, something seemed too easy about their escape, now that he had defeated Blur. Forced to ignore it for now, they began to hurry away, towards the first hole Metal-2 had made in the room.

"Not so fast, weaklings..." Robotnik said to himself as he watched them from a hidden room. Time for some insurance..." He flipped two switches on a nearby panel, and watched as Metal-2 and Amy fell down as the floor dropped out from under them.

They found themselves in a dark room with four walls and a locked door. Metal-2 grabbed the large round piece of it that served as both a lock and a doorknob. He nearly broke himself turning it, but finally busted the lock and was about to swing the door open when a sudden vibration stopped him.

"Wha-what is that?!" Amy asked, and then screamed while pointing at one of the walls. It was covered in small, thin spikes, almost needle-like in appearance. There were more on the opposite wall, and the two were moving toward them rather quickly. "We have to get out of here!" She shouted.

Amy y ran for the door, but stopped when she heard a slam and Metal-2's yell. She turned around and saw him holding the walls apart. However, his strength was failing, as was his body's integrity.

"Amy! Get out now!" He said to her, but she ignored him and tried to pull him with her.

"I'm not leaving without you!" She said as the vibration got worse.

Metal-2's right main shoulder hydraulics went out, and the arm collapsed, allowing the wall to slam into the side of the robot. There wasn't much room left, nor was their time. His left arm was about to break, and then it would be too late for either of them. The vibration had rattled the door open, leaving a clear path to freedom.

"You must escape!" Metal-2 shouted, and used the sub-motors in his right arm to shove Amy out through the open door. She fell to the ground, and was getting back up when she witnessed something strange of Metal-2.

He had ordered his nanytes to sever all connections to the front of his head, effectively slicing it off. The front of his face was surrounded by a ring of white light for a moment, and then fell to the ground. Amy was speechless as Metal-2's left arm shattered, allowing the walls to begin squeezing his head and body. Metal-2 gave one last order to his body, and four small charges in his head exploded, ejecting his computer core. It landed at Amy's feet, and she instinctively snatched it up. She stood to the side of the door, leaning on the wall as she held the large, silvery core. It was almost cube shaped, but with several rectangular areas sticking out, and with rounded edges.

Before she could do anything else, she heard the walls slam together. Metal-2's body exploded, and a massive blast ripped through the narrow gap between the walls. It went up into the ceiling, into the floor, into the walls, and past Amy, who was knocked down by the indirect force of it. The shockwave was made even stronger by the fact that it had been condensed, and shredded much of the machinery nearby.

An explosion caught Amy's attention. It was from the pipes that lined a corner not too far away. Another one from the opposite direction upset her further, and she was soon surrounded by them. A floor support from above ripped through the metal ceiling and crashed into the ground in front of her as fire spread all around. Not knowing what else to do, she carried the core in tightly in her arms as she ran away from the explosions. The destruction was spreading, and it seemed to follow her, roaring after her. Remembering things she had seen from others, combined with some practice she had been performing lately, Amy began to run increasingly fast, becoming a pink blur.

She dodged around falling support beams, and blasts of fire that burst from pipes. Falling debris from the ceiling rained down on her as she made her way out. Up and down, left and right. Such was the chaotic course that she was forced to take as she went. Seeing a clear exit ahead, she ran for it, giving it her all. Amy made it out just as the immense, fiery explosion reached the outside. It threw her, along with an immeasurable amount of debris, all across the Mobian countryside. Fortunately, Amy wasn't badly hurt, but was knocked unconscious by the blast.

It ripped through an entire third of Robotropolis, shattering the dome and annihilating nearly everything in its path. The outer wall, the dome, the factories and buildings, many hapless Robians, all gone in one massive blast. Robotnik had survived, and rested against the back of his chair after having been on the edge of it for a while.

"This is quite a setback..." Robotnik thought to himself. "But it's worth it. Detonating those bombs must've gotten rid of that reject of a robot!" He figured, looking at the second switch he had flipped. He ignored Snively, who was enraged at the scientist.

Some time later...

There was a faint murmur as Amy slowly woke up. She slowly opened her eyes, and noticed that she was in a bed of some sort. It was thin, and obviously not made for comfort. She was facing a wall, a plain one, and there was an odd scent in the air. She hesitated for a moment, and then made a move to try and get up, but stopped when she felt a hand against her shoulder.

"Don't try to move..." A voice gently spoke to her. She was still too confused to be sure, but it sounded familiar. Whoever it was, she was facing away from it. "You've been unconscious for some time now. I was worried." It said.

Things slowly cleared, and she found her voice. "Where...where am I?" She asked, weakly.

"The hospital. I brought you here after the explosion." Was the answer she got.

"Huh?' She wondered, and slowly turned around. Amy blinked a few times to clear her sight, and saw the face of none other than Metal-2. He gently rubbed the side of her head a few times. "Metal?" She asked. "Is that you?"

The robot nodded. "It's me."

"But...How did...I...I thought you were crushed..." She weakly told him.

"I almost was, but thanks to you, my computer core made it out. And as for my body...well, a rather large chunk of debris landed almost on top of my core. After some treatment with my nanytes, I rebuilt my body. It didn't take as long as I was worried it might." He answered.

A tear ran down her cheek, and she slid over to the edge of the bed. Amy leaned over it, reaching out for Metal-2. She put her arms around him, and he did the same for her. They shared a warm embrace, and Amy soon fell back asleep in the bed. Metal-2 waited beside it for the rest of the night, and even longer, until she was released.

A day or two after her release, Metal-2 was playing a board game with Tails when Sonic suddenly rushed in the door.

"Metal! We need you for something! Quick!" Sonic said, and left.

Metal-2 looked to Tails, and left. The fox smiled, and followed the robot. They both followed Sonic to the Knothole castle throne room, where all of the citizens of Knothole were gathered. Sally stood in front of the throne, and watched as Metal-2, after some directions from Sonic, made his way up the aisle.

He stopped in front of Sally, and Antoine leaned forward and held a scabbard up to Sally. She drew a sword from it, and faced Metal-2. The robot knelt down in front of her, and the crowd grew silent.

"Metal" Sally began, "Having recognized your many heroic deeds in the face of battle, adversity, and prejudice," She touched the sword to his shoulder. "I hereby knight you a member of the royal court of Acorn!"

Everyone cheered as Metal-2 stood up. Amy rushed up and nearly knocked him over with a hug. Had Metal-2 not been over 300 pounds, the crowd would've lifted him up and carried him. Instead, they surrounded the robot as Amy clung to him.

With Robotnik defeated for now, a new Freedom Fighter in the ranks, and the completion of one heck of an adventure, all was well in Knothole, and the people were happy. Metal-2 went on to become a trusted member of them all, and proved very useful as a unique fighter, and a good friend.

THE END

________________________________________________________________ _____________________

Whew! That was a long one!

I haven't used the book format in a while, so I'd like to know what all of you think.

Please review!

I would like to thank:

All of my readers, the pizza guy, and Scotty CF, for being so supportive

I would like to say:

I didn't hurt any furries during the making of this fic. Though it was really tempting to beat Antoine up a bit...

I would like to have:

Some of Bill Gates's money...I mean uh...erm...knowledge of what you thought of this story. Any and all reviews would be much appreciated!