Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Lonely Ballerina ❯ The Lonely Ballerina ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Inspired by a song Sarina sent me called The Lonely Ballerina by Michele McLaughlin. It's a beautiful classical piano piece. Started in math class a few months ago, finished today. It doesn't feel as complete as I want it to…but I suppose it will have to do for now…
 
Because Shadow and Maria need more love, especially after being attacked after the ridiculous Sonic/Elise fiasco.
 
The Lonely Ballerina
 
She loved classical music.
 
When health permitted, she would dance, the Earth below lighting her steps, making her hair shine bright and golden. When her eyes opened, they were as deep blue as the planet which she so loved.
 
Sometimes Shadow would dance with her, other times he would sit and watch. Her movements were fluid, graceful, so graceful that he had to wonder if she was real. She looked more like a spirit, something not of this world, and he would have to reach out and brush her arm, take her hand.
 
“Is something wrong?”
 
“…I had to make sure you were still here,” he said finally; there was no use trying to hide the truth from Maria.
 
She laughed softly. “Oh, Shadow. I'm still here.” Her hand, warm and alive, but stained with the pale mark of Death, covered his. “Always right here.” It moved up and patted the white splash of fur on his chest. “Does my lord wish to dance?”
 
“I would be honored, my dear lady.” His hands were around her waist, carrying her forward, whirling around. Maria laughed, and the sound was so beautiful his heart burned with a sweet agony. She was so light, so fragile. He could hear her heartbeats, limited with each passing second. Each breath was sweet, but harsh and raged, a gasp at life, a futile attempt.
 
This illness was going to kill her, and there was nothing he could do. Death had already spread throughout her body, and there was no way to evict him. Shadow had begged, he'd pleaded, nearly groveled at the Professor's feet, to assist in finding a cure.
 
“Shadow,” the old man had sighed, his gray mustache settling, “this is a burden I alone must bear. I ask you to stay with her, comfort her, keep her company.”
 
“So why?” Shadow's voice was harsh and grating. “Why create me immortal? Why can't I die with her?!”
 
“You have things far more important than us to worry about, in the future.” His expression darkened with sorrow, wrinkles deepening.
 
The Death in Maria seemed to spread to the kind old man, hovering over him. Shadow could see it clearly. The kind Professor, his father, was marked too. Death would come to him, find him as well, and it would pass Shadow, laughing mockingly.
 
“What's wrong?” The music came to a slow stop.
 
“It's nothing.” Shadow smiled. “I worry too much.”
 
I'll tell you later.
 
There would be no later, something in his mind whispered. The hedgehog ignored it and set Maria down gently. “Should we stop?”
 
“I'm feeling better today…” She brushed a stray lock out of her face, tucking it behind her ear. “Just one more, Shadow, please?”
 
He relented. “Okay,” he murmured softly, stepping back.
 
So he watched her twirl. A lonely ballerina. His precious, precious ballerina.
 
Later the alarms would sound, and Death would come to collect its dues. Blood would spill, moans would swell in the air, following the Conductor's lead, contributing the symphony of misery. Hearts would shatter, sanity would slip, and all of it would be muted, hidden from the rest of the world. A lost cause, an abandoned quest, a futile effort at nobility. Gone were the days of knights in armor, glory, and courtly love. Still, even if it was hopeless, he would always try.
 
But for the moment—that small, fragile, moment—he would have her, and she him. A lonely ballerina, eternally dancing with her last legs of life.