Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Science Fair ❯ The Black Hedgehog Cometh ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Let's do this!

Chapter 2: The Black Hedgehog Cometh

It was the next day, and the two rival scientists are now found furiously at work on their entries to the science fair. Dr. Arrow had insisted that they move to separate labs, and Billy and Tails reluctantly agreed. Billy had set about constructing a headphone set that generates sound inside the brain. Tails had taken on the task of building a hologram projector that could be used to display 3-d video.

Billy: <using a soldering iron on headphones> Now, if I complete this connection like so…<puts down iron, flips a switch on nearby headphones> They should be ready for testing…

Billy was about to put them on his head, when sparks shot out of where he had been working. He put them back, and turned the switch off.

Billy: <sigh> What is it now?

Meanwhile…

Tails: <Using a screwdriver on a device on floor, has tongue sticking out slightly> Okay…<puts down screwdriver, puts tongue back in mouth>…With that done, it should work…

Tails pressed a button, and the device flickered on. A 3-d image of Mr. Bill screaming appeared for several seconds before the device sparked, and spewed a small cloud of smoke.

Tails: <coughing, waving smoke away from face> <cough> Oops…Guess that one was supposed to go the other way…

Obviously, they weren't having much luck. While they continue working, let's look in on everyone else…

Sonic and Scotty were racing against Metal-2 across the Brooklyn Bridge. Metal-2 was surprised at how they were able to keep up with him.

Sonic: Getting tired, Scott?

Scotty: No way! How about you, Metal?

Metal-2: I do not tire, hedgehog.

Scotty: Would you mind not calling us hedgehogs?

Sonic: Use our names, that's why we've got 'em!

Metal-2: Very well…hedgehog!

Metal-2 made what sounded like an electronic snicker as he pulled ahead, only to be matched by Sonic and Scotty.

Sonic: Real funny, robot.

Scotty: Yeah, how `bout we call you tin can?

Metal-2: You have made your point. We are approaching the finish line.

They blasted past the finish, tying for first.

Sonic: Whew! Wanna go again?

Scotty: Are you kiddin'? After all that running, you want to just `go again'?

Sonic: Yeah.

Scotty: Okay, sure, why not?

Sonic: You up to it, Metal?

Metal-2: I am always up for it.

Sonic: <smirks> Well then, mister `I don't tire out', let's see how you handle a--

Sonic took off back across the bridge.

Sonic: --HEAD START!!

Scotty: Hey! No fair! <runs after Sonic>

Metal-2: Just when I think I have figured them out…they do this…<hovers after them>

They raced across the bridge again, but it was far from a fair race, and Sonic won. Eventually, they went back to the base…

Sonya: Scotty, you're back!

Scotty: Yeah, we're all here. Did Tails ever come out?

Sally: No, him and Billy are still in those labs…

Sonic: I'll never get how they see that stuff as fun.

Metal-2: Not everyone sees being a blur as fun.

Sonic: <sarcastically> You're kidding, right?

Sonya: Speaking of blurs, guess who's getting here today!

Sonic: Lemme guess…He's repressive, black, and more stubborn than Knuckles…

Knuckles walked in.

Knuckles: What are you talking about? No one's more stubborn than me.

Metal-2: You've admitted the problem. Now the healing can begin.

Knuckles: <sarcastically> Oh ha-ha.

Sally: Anyway, Shadow's supposed to be here soon.

Scotty: I thought they just left this morning.

Sonya: He said something about taking one of those supersonic jets.

Knuckles: <sarcastically> Careful, Sonya…You know how sensitive Sonic is about things that move faster than he does…

Sonic: Will you put a sock in it?

Knuckles: Nope. I'm the stubborn one, remember?

Knuckles left the room.

Sonic: Well, I guess he's right about that. He'll never change.

Scotty: It'll be good to see Shadow again.

Sally: Not just Shadow. He's bringing his family, too.

Sonic: Sounds cool. I wonder if old Shadow will be up to racing…

Metal-2: Is that all you ever think about?

Sonic: You know it!

Scotty: And you said Knuckles would never change.

Sonic: What are they coming over for, anyway?

Scotty: Yeah, you never told us.

Sonya: You didn't ask. Anyway, they're coming over because they want to visit. No special reason.

Sonic: I dunno…That's not his style. He's got something up his non-existent sleeve…

Scotty: Yeah, that guy always has another reason.

Metal-2: When does he plan to arrive?

Sonya: Well, he said-

She was interrupted by the doorbell. They all ran to the door, and opened it.

Shadow: Hey, guys.

Sonic: Well, well, well…if it isn't the ultimate life form…

Scotty: Shadow, how are you?

Shadow: I'm fine. I see you still have that robot around.

Sally: Yeah, Metal's here to stay.

Shadow: I don't think I could ever get used to it.

Metal-2: Do wish for me to distance myself from you?

Shadow: I didn't mean it like that; I'm just saying that I couldn't get used to a robot being around.

There was an explosion from the hallway, followed by a fog of smoke. Tails stumbled into the room, coughing.

Tails: <cough> I think I put the plasma coil in backwards…again…

Billy walked in, seemingly unaffected by the smoke, which was clearing.

Billy: It's an easy mistake to make, Tails.

Tails: Yeah, I really need to start labeling those things…Well, I guess I'd better go fix it.

They both walked back to their labs.

Shadow: I see they're up to their old tricks again…

Sonic: Yeah, they never quit.

Scotty: I sometimes wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Shadow: So are you going to invite us in, or are we gonna stand here all day?

Sonya: Sure, come on in!

Shadow, Elle, and Forest walked in, and Metal closed the door behind them.

Sonic: Tell me, Shadow, how have things been going with you guys?

Shadow: Quite well, in fact. It's the lack of crime that enabled us come here.

Scotty: Lack of crime? I wish we could get one of those.

Shadow: Don't we all.

Elle: Can we please talk about something else?

Sally: Good idea.

They went into the lounge, and found various seats on the couch and chairs. Knuckles joined them. Forest went to play with the other children in the room, including Simon.

Knuckles: So Shadow, what's up?

Simon: <thinking> Uh-oh…

Shadow: <points upwards> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's that way.

Knuckles: <sarcastically> Very funny.

Shadow: Everyone's a critic.

Elle: It was a slow news week, so I convinced Shadow to have us come here.

Scotty: Don't count on getting a vacation. You never know what's going to happen next.

Sonic: I wouldn't have it any other way.

Their conversation was interrupted when Nickel walked in.

Nickel: Lunch is ready. Let's eat.

Knuckles: I'm on my way.

Knuckles followed his wife through the door.

Sonic: Food! I'm all over it!

He ran off into the kitchen.

Shadow: It's a good thing Robotnik doesn't use food as a distraction, or we wouldn't be here.

Metal-2: My guess is that Robotnik would eat it all before Sonic knew about it.

Scotty: Metal!!!

Metal-2: <laughs>

They all tried, but couldn't resist at least chuckling at the mean joke. A few minutes later, Sonic walked in with a half-eaten plate of spaghetti.

Sonic: Are you guys comin'?

Scotty: Of course. Come on, let's go.

Shadow: Spaghetti…for lunch?

They all entered the large kitchen, and prepared their food. Metal-2 made two plates of it, and left the room.

Shadow: Where's he going?

Betsy: Scientists have to eat, too.

Knuckles: They'd never admit it, though.

Metal-2 made his way to Billy's lab. He set a plate down on an empty space on one of the tables.

Metal-2: Lunch is ready. I brought you some.

Billy glanced up from his microscope long enough to thank the robot before returning to his work. Metal-2 left and went to Tails's lab.

Metal-2: Here is lunch.

Tails looked up at the robot. He still had a metal plate over his face, since he was welding something.

Tails: Thanks, Metal.

Metal-2: You are welcome.

Metal-2 set the plate down, and returned to the kitchen. He leaned against the wall near the table with his arms crossed. Obviously, he had no need for food, so he didn't have anything. The robot stared at the floor, deep in thought. The others continued eating and talking (though not at the same time).

Shadow: So how are things around here?

Scotty: Same as usual. Sometimes we have a slow day, other times we narrowly avoid being maimed.

Sonic: Or shot.

Knuckles: Or burned.

Shadow: I know what you mean. That reminds me of this one time when…

Shadow and the others continued, while at the other end of the table…

Sonya: There they go again…

Sally: I've kinda gotten used to it.

Elle: Sometimes I wish I could do that.

Nickel: No kidding.

Betsy: At least you guys get to see your husbands once in a while.

Sally: Yeah, but there are times when I wonder about how well thought-out Sonic's actions are.

They finished eating, and eventually filed out of the kitchen and into the lounge. Soon after, Billy and Tails entered, each with their latest creations.

Please review, and stay tuned!