Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Science Fair ❯ The Day Before ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

Please review!

Chapter 3: The Day Before

Tails held out his entry, proudly showing it to everyone. It was a large, thick disk shaped object, with a grid of lines across the top and various buttons on the sides.

Tails: This is my three-dimensional hologram display device. It projects images in full 3-d!

He set it on the ground, and turned it on. After a few seconds, an image appeared in the air above the device. It was a picture of one of Tails's other inventions, the Tornado. The picture slowly rotated, showing the Tornado from every angle.

Tails: See that? Awesome, huh?

Billy: Most impressive. However, my device should appeal to the market more so than Tails's.

Tails: <glares at Billy>

Billy held out a pair of headphones with several devices attached to he sides.

Billy: These will cause sound and music to be generated in the brain, allowing for the highest possible quality, and without disturbing the wearer's neighbors.

Billy approached Knuckles.

Knuckles: Uhh…Billy…What are you doing?

Billy: I am demonstrating my device.

Knuckles: Why am I always the lab rat?

Billy ignored his brother, and placed the device on his head.

Knuckles: Billy…You kinda missed my ears…

Sonic: How would he know? You keep `em hidden under your quills.

Knuckles: So?

Billy: The exact placement of the device doesn't matter, as long as it surrounds the brain.

Knuckles: This won't hurt my brain, will it?

Sonic: You have a brain?

Knuckles: Can it, Sonic.

Billy: Probably not. In fact, if it does hurt your brain, you won't feel it since the brain has no pain receptors.

Knuckles: Just get this over with.

Billy pressed a button on the headphones, and several seconds later, Knuckles's eyes grew wide as his pupils shrunk. He jumped up, and started screaming.

Knuckles: Help! Get it off me! Get it off me!!

Billy rushed over to his brother, and shut the device off. Knuckles breathed a sigh of relief, and handed the headphones to Billy.

Knuckles: I think your invention is broken, Billy.

Billy: But everything appears to be in working order…

Knuckles: You obviously haven't heard what was coming out of it.

Billy: Are you referring to the demonstration song I programmed it with.

Knuckles laid a hand on his brother's shoulder.

Knuckles: Billy, the Macarena went out of style years ago.

Sonic: That's what you were screaming about?

Knuckles nodded, and Sonic started laughing at him. The red echidna snatched the device from his brother's hands and plopped it onto Sonic's head. Knuckles flipped a switch on the headphones, and a few moments later, Sonic started running around yelling.

Sonic: No!!! Make it end!!! Why won't it stop?!!

Knuckles laughed at this while everyone else just stared. The things Sonic and Knuckles did to each other sometimes went beyond their comprehension.

Later that night…

Everyone was gathered around the TV in the lounge. They were watching the news, and there was a story on about the science fair. Several stations were interviewing the director of the fair. He was an odd-looking man, wearing a trench coat, a large hat, and always kept his face hidden.

Reporter 1: Mr. Trokobin, what are your plans for the fair?

Mr. Trokobin: My associates and I plan to award the winner with a very special prize. The fair itself will be held on one day only, very soon. Everyone that has signed up knows the date.

Reporter 2: Any hints at what the prize is?

Mr. Trokobin: All I can say is that it involves an important position in my company.

Reporter 3: Is that a job?

Mr. Trokobin: You could say that. Of course, there will be other prizes as well. I'm sorry, but this is all the time I have for now.

He stepped away from the podium that he had been behind, and quickly left.

Simon: That guy gives me the creeps.

Shadow: What makes you say that?

Simon: It's just something about him…

Sonya: Well, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Sally: It's getting late. You kids need to get to bed.

Younger children: Aww…

Sally: Yes, yes, I know. Now, go on, please.

SJ, Lilac, Secret, Susie, and Forest slowly left the room. Simon soon followed them.

Tails: The science fair starts the day after tomorrow. I can't wait!

Billy: I, too, am eagerly anticipating the event.

Elle: I wish the best of luck to both of you.

Shadow: Science…Well, I certainly have an interesting relationship with that subject…

Sonic: Oh boy…Here we go again…

Shadow began a lengthy discussion of science with the others, which caused Sonic to promptly fall asleep. Knuckles noticed, and thought of a thousand different pranks to play on the hedgehog. His wife saw him scheming, and `gently' nudged him with her elbow. Eventually, the conversation died down, and people would occasionally leave for bed.

Sally: Well, I'm gonna hit the hay…

Tails: That's not very nice; what did the hay ever do to you?

Sally: You know what I mean.

Sally left the room. Now, only Shadow, Elle, Tails, Sonya, Scotty, Billy, Betsy, and Metal-2 were left. Sonic was there, too, but he wasn't awake.

Scotty: You don't look tired, Shadow…Have you been raiding the coffee again?

Shadow: Who, me?

Elle: It's probably because of the change in time zones. Were about two, maybe three hours behind you guys.

Sonya: Makes sense to me.

Tails: I'm gonna go get some sleep, so I can be ready for the fair.

Scotty: But I thought the fair was the day after tomorrow.

Tails: It is, but I thought I'd catch a nap now so I can be ready for it.

Scotty: Okay…

Tails left the room.

Billy: I've got plenty of energy.

Betsy: Maybe, but I want you to get some rest tonight. After all, You probably won't even think of sleeping tomorrow.

Billy: Perhaps…

Sonya: I swear, Billy, Metal sleeps more than you do!

They all laughed at this.

Shadow: Speaking of Metal, when does he get rest?

Metal-2: I do not require rest.

Scotty: Yeah, he pretty much just walks around the base, on the lookout for danger.

Shadow: Quite the security system.

Elle: Seems kinda creepy to me.

Betsy: You get used to it after a while.

Sonya: Yeah, everything's fine when Metal's around.

Scotty: What about me?

Sonya: <chuckles> You're asleep, silly.

Billy: Well, if I'm going to sleep, I should get it over with as soon as possible.

Billy left the room, and Betsy followed him.

Sonya: I'm rather tired, myself. I think I'll go now.

Sonya left the room.

Scotty: <yawn> Well, I live in this time zone, so it's still late for me. I'll see you tomorrow, guys.

Shadow: Good night.

Scotty left the room. Metal-2, Shadow, and Elle were the only awake ones in the room now.

Shadow: Well, I can stay up as late as I need to.

Elle: But you don't need to.

Shadow: Maybe not, but after all the coffee I had, I'm going to whether I like it or not.

Elle: <chuckles> You'll never change…

Shadow: I've got a reputation, remember?

Elle: Good night, Shadow.

Elle left the room, and went to the guest room.

Shadow: So, Metal, what is there to do around here at this hour?

Metal-2: Not much. Like they said, I just patrol the base.

Shadow: The ultimate Metal Sonic, serving as a guard robot.

Metal-2: The ultimate life-form, guzzling the world's supply of coffee.

Shadow: Touché. But I bet you've never saved the world.

Metal-2: Not yet. But by turning from evil, I have helped to preserve it.

Shadow: You're pretty impressive, for a robot.

Metal-2: As are you, for a hedgehog.

Shadow: This science fair…What do you think of it?

Metal-2: It should be an interesting event. However, something seems to be amiss about the whole thing.

Shadow: You got that feeling too, huh?

Metal-2: Affirmative.

Stay tuned, and please review!